• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously we are a welcoming thread. If you want recommendations we would be happy to give them. Don't read Batman White Knight. See I am a good guy.

I stealth read this thread but don't post as I'm terrified of spoilers for the things I read.

i thought it was okay but i just read it at the library in a fever dream. I wouldn't buy it lol

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
is one piece going to finish anytime soon? should I start reading it?

was thinking of subbing to that shonen jump app...is there any completed manga on there that you guys recommend?

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! This seems like a pretty cool, active community, and I'm glad because I just got back into reading manga and I want to talk with people about it.

I'm usually just an anime guy, and it's how I've been keeping up with a lot of current stuff like My Hero Academia. However, I thought both the Shonen Jump online app, and their initiative to launch several new manga for the beginning of the Reiwa era, was so neat that I've been reading each of the new SJ manga for the past month.

Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 1-9
I like Naruto a good deal. I've been watching through the anime with my girlfriend for the first time, and it has made me very interested in seeing what Kishimoto would do next. It's been... a slow start. The setting is fine but hasn't dazzled me. The action scenes have actually been really difficult to parse, the visuals are so complicated that I've had trouble figuring out what's happening sometimes. And honestly, it's just kind of boring. If this wasn't made by the Naruto guy I definitely would have stopped by now, and I feel I may not be alone in that sentiment. The one reason I haven't quit yet is because even Naruto took a little time to really get going. I want to give Samurai 8 at least a volume's worth to see if it kicks off later. But I'm not having a great time.

Double Taisei 1-8
This one's kind of weird. I really wanted to like it because the idea of a Shogi sports manga is really great to me. Hikaru no Go was one of my favorites in high school, actually got one of my friends so interested in Go that he was playing it at a pretty respectable level for a while. I was hoping for Double Taisei to make Shogi feel really cool in a similar way. It instead focuses on the characters more than it does on exploring the game, and none of said characters are incredibly likeable to me yet. It's hard to get invested in the conflict and root for the protagonist. I don't hate Double Taisei, but it definitely hasn't captured the magic of HnG for me. It's been a little underwhelming and I'm starting to tap out.

Beast Children 1-7
This is another manga that I was actually excited about, because Eyeshield 21? Underrated as hell. If an American football sports manga could be as good as it was, maybe a rugby sports manga had some untapped potential as well. And you know what? I actually really liked the first couple chapters of Beast Children. The protagonist is pretty likable, and his supporting cast in those initial chapters, specifically the Beast, were fuckin great and brought a lot of charm to the story. When Sakura was introduced to his rugby team though, it started to lose me. A lot of similar looking characters were introduced in a very rushed fashion, and nearly none of them seem to have standout personalities, or character designs as memorable as the first few characters. The pacing already feels compromised, I don't love the current cast as much as I'd hoped, and... I dunno. The opening got me interested enough that I hope Beast Children can rebound, but I just have a feeling that it and Double Taisei will be the first Reiwa era mangas on the chopping block.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad 1-6
I have such mixed feelings about this manga. The "globalization of Tokyo made all the thugs come here and now it's a dystopia" hook is super xenophobic. Makes me really uncomfortable. But then the Thai protagonist is a really great, likable character, and surprisingly progressive for Japan? The other protagonist, Jin, goes out of his way to be multilingual and multicultural and keeps saying that he "doesn't care" about nationality and never factors it into his judgement of a person. So now there's this chance that maybe the message of the manga overall will actually be pro-globalist, and there's no real way to tell yet. And I actually like almost every other thing about it! The action scenes are cool and easy to follow, and I really like the powers displayed so far and how they all take time to master. I sense the potential for a really great shonen progression. But I also don't want to have wasted time reading this if it turns out to have an explicitly nationalist message. So I've been taking it chapter to chapter, wondering when or if the other shoe is going to drop. It's actually making me slightly anxious, which is probably a sign I should stop reading it, but here I am!

So even though there's nothing in my current reading list that I love yet, I'm really glad that I'm back on the manga train! I'd actually love any recommendations for what I should read, especially if it hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. It doesn't have to be on the Shonen Jump app, but that'd be a plus for sure since I'm probably going to cave in and get the subscription any day now. Also, the thread keeps mentioning a Discord ; I'd love an invite since I've been on Discord a lot lately. Looking forward to talking more manga with everybody.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Beast Children 1-7
This is another manga that I was actually excited about, because Eyeshield 21? Underrated as hell. If an American football sports manga could be as good as it was, maybe a rugby sports manga had some untapped potential as well. And you know what? I actually really liked the first couple chapters of Beast Children. The protagonist is pretty likable, and his supporting cast in those initial chapters, specifically the Beast, were fuckin great and brought a lot of charm to the story. When Sakura was introduced to his rugby team though, it started to lose me. A lot of similar looking characters were introduced in a very rushed fashion, and nearly none of them seem to have standout personalities, or character designs as memorable as the first few characters. The pacing already feels compromised, I don't love the current cast as much as I'd hoped, and... I dunno. The opening got me interested enough that I hope Beast Children can rebound, but I just have a feeling that it and Double Taisei will be the first Reiwa era mangas on the chopping block.
And random fact: the author was an assistant on Kuroko no Basket (still hoping Fujimaki can make a comeback after RxL).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
is one piece going to finish anytime soon? should I start reading it?

was thinking of subbing to that shonen jump app...is there any completed manga on there that you guys recommend?

Definitely start reading One Piece. It's not going to end soon though.

If this wasn't made by the Naruto guy I definitely would have stopped by now, and I feel I may not be alone in that sentiment.

You are definitely not alone lol

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
MHA 235
Really? That's his backstory? Out of all the possible scenarios they could've had for him and they chose
child abuse because his dad was abandoned

It doesn't help that this arc has been boring as well

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'll say it once and I'll say it again: Horikoshi is not a good writer. He should stick with the art and get a writer

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MHA 235
Really? That's his backstory? Out of all the possible scenarios they could've had for him and they chose
child abuse because his dad was abandoned

It doesn't help that this arc has been boring as well

I dunno, I like it. We kinda knew this would be the case anyway.

It's not like it was just as simple as child abuse, either. Yes his dad was violent towards him but his mother didn't protect him, his grandparents didn't stop it.... Like it said, Tomura felt betrayed by his entire family and, like kids normally do, he said he hated them all for it.

Of course his dad knew he went too far and wanted to apologise and his mother did earnestly confront him about what he did. It's still a normal family after all. It just looks like Tomura's quirk is going to activate before they can reconcile and he's accidentally going to kill his entire family because nobody will understand what is happening.

If you ask me, Tomura is the sort of self-destructive villain that's filled with terrible anger and regret and just wants to destroy everything, himself included, because everything he loved was taken from him.

The real gut punch, if you ask me, is...

Nana left her son to keep him safe, which is easily the hardest thing she could have ever done but also the right thing to do in order to keep All for One away from her family.

She died fighting All for One and her son grew up hating her and hating heroes because she left him and died, that anger and resentment being what caused him to be abusive towards Tomura.

...who All for One found anyway. All of that suffering, all of that pain, was for nothing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Plot points get forgotten, there's a ton of pointless arcs, the pacing is absolutely glacial. Current arc is one of the better ones and even this is dragging.

I don't agree with any of this, the only arc imo that had any pacing issues was the Yakuza arc, and I wouldn't say it's that big an issue.

Also the only plot point you can possibly be talking about is the ua high traitor, which just because it hasn't been revealed yet doesn't mean it won't happen eventually. Heck it could happen in this arc that is focused on the villains.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I love MHA and have been following since the start but nothing has matched the Stain arc, Gentle/La Brava arc was pretty good but time to forget about those characters now lmao

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Samurai 8's latest chapter was pretty cool honestly. Things are starting to ramp up. Absolutely love the designs of the characters, can't wait to see more "party members" if that makes sense.

I'm also rereading MHA and trying to catch up. I'm done with Stain's arc and it's as cool as I remembered it. I think I stopped reading a few years ago around chapter 80, so I'm excited to see what's next (even if I'm hearing that the quality has gone down a little bit lately).

I also need to catch up on Black Clover. And keep reading Kingdom if I find time lol.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
That's surprising since they're not Shonen Jump (they're Young Jump) but hey I'll take it.
They've had Golden Kamuy available for a while now too. Bodes well for them to add at least their other Young Jump series like Kaguya and REAL (ok, REAL doesn't really have a chance to be added but I can hope).
We already had a Diamond Kingdom arc setup at the end of the Witch Forest, before the Royal Knight business even started. With two of the characters going back to help their kingdom, Asta promising to go there if they ever need his help, a named villain to overthrow (Morris, a scientist who's the shadow leader of Diamond) and the captain-level mages of that Kingdom were straight up shown on screen as a hint of the battles to come.
Black Clover can't end until we found out if the heroic and noble plan of brainwashing of the Diamond Kingdom's leadership was successful.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu 357

Everyone's disgusted faces, Smug Tsukki, what a chapter.

The training camp arc was my favorite arc for awhile and it's always awesome seeing the thought put behind each of those interactions.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Oh, I'm also enjoying Tokyo Shinobi Squad tbh. Nice art and world with some potential.

Hopefully it doesn't get canned.
The opposite actually, it's having one of it's best arc currently though there are some low points you have to get through
Nice to hear! I honestly was going off some impressions I read last year, so happy to be wrong, as I really love what I've read so far.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I like it. We kinda knew this would be the case anyway.

It's not like it was just as simple as child abuse, either. Yes his dad was violent towards him but his mother didn't protect him, his grandparents didn't stop it.... Like it said, Tomura felt betrayed by his entire family and, like kids normally do, he said he hated them all for it.

Of course his dad knew he went too far and wanted to apologise and his mother did earnestly confront him about what he did. It's still a normal family after all. It just looks like Tomura's quirk is going to activate before they can reconcile and he's accidentally going to kill his entire family because nobody will understand what is happening.

If you ask me, Tomura is the sort of self-destructive villain that's filled with terrible anger and regret and just wants to destroy everything, himself included, because everything he loved was taken from him.

The real gut punch, if you ask me, is...

Nana left her son to keep him safe, which is easily the hardest thing she could have ever done but also the right thing to do in order to keep All for One away from her family.

She died fighting All for One and her son grew up hating her and hating heroes because she left him and died, that anger and resentment being what caused him to be abusive towards Tomura.

...who All for One found anyway. All of that suffering, all of that pain, was for nothing.
Very good post, didnt think about you said about the gut punch but it is true

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Nice to hear! I honestly was going off some impressions I read last year, so happy to be wrong, as I really love what I've read so far.

As someone who has, at most, a passing investment in the series, and isn't really all that opinionated either way about the manga's high or low points, here's how I'd rank MHA's arcs:

- Entrance exam (Ch1-4): 7/10
- Quirk Apprehension Test Arc (Ch5-7): 7/10
- Battle Trial Arc (Ch8-11): 8/10
- U.S.J. Arc (Ch12-21): 8/10
- U.A. Sports Festival Arc (Ch22-44): 8.5/10
- Vs. Hero Killer Arc (Ch45-59): 9/10
- Final Exams Arc (Ch60-69): 6/10
- Forest Training Camp Arc (Ch70-83): 8.5/10
- Hideout Raid Arc (Ch84-97): 9/10

- Provisional Hero License Exam Arc (Ch98-121): 6.5/10
- Shie Hassaikai Arc (Ch122-163): 7/10 (Last half a dozen chapters are 8/10 material though)
- Remedial Course Arc (Ch164-168): 6/10
- U.A. School Festival Arc (Ch169-183): 7.5/10
- Pro Hero Arc (Ch184-193): 7.5/10
- Joint Training Arc (Ch194-217): 6.5/10
- Meta Liberation Army Arc (Ch218+): 7.5/10

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
As someone who has, at most, a passing investment in the series, and isn't really all that opinionated either way about the manga's high or low points, here's how I'd rank MHA's arcs:

- Entrance exam (Ch1-4): 7/10
- Quirk Apprehension Test Arc (Ch5-7): 7/10
- Battle Trial Arc (Ch8-11): 8/10
- U.S.J. Arc (Ch12-21): 8/10
- U.A. Sports Festival Arc (Ch22-44): 8.5/10
- Vs. Hero Killer Arc (Ch45-59): 9/10
- Final Exams Arc (Ch60-69): 6/10
- Forest Training Camp Arc (Ch70-83): 8.5/10
- Hideout Raid Arc (Ch84-97): 9/10

- Provisional Hero License Exam Arc (Ch98-121): 6.5/10
- Shie Hassaikai Arc (Ch122-163): 7/10 (Last half a dozen chapters are 8/10 material though)
- Remedial Course Arc (Ch164-168): 6/10
- U.A. School Festival Arc (Ch169-183): 7.5/10
- Pro Hero Arc (Ch184-193): 7.5/10
- Joint Training Arc (Ch194-217): 6.5/10
- Meta Liberation Army Arc (Ch218+): 7.5/10
Seems pretty consistent, which is cool as I really like it so far and have similar opinions of the arcs I've read.

Actually, I now realize that I had actually read up until Chapter 100 or so lol. But this reread is necessary and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Seems pretty consistent, which is cool as I really like it so far and have similar opinions of the arcs I've read.

Actually, I now realize that I had actually read up until Chapter 100 or so lol. But this reread is necessary and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The only real problem (if you can call it that) is that two of the more mediocre arcs are both pretty long, or at least felt long when reading week-to-week (I think one had a couple of breaks in it due to illness).

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Only *real* problem (if you can call it that) is that two of the least great arcs are both pretty long, or at least felt long when reading week-to-week.
I'm used to long, drawn-out arcs with stuff like One Piece, so no big deal on my end, although it all depends on whether I enjoy those arcs or not enough to not "forget" about checking the manga weekly/monthly. It's definitely happened in the past with a few series.

Thanks for the input!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The only real problem (if you can call it that) is that two of the more mediocre arcs are both pretty long, or at least felt long when reading week-to-week (I think one had a couple of breaks in it due to illness).
I'm used to long, drawn-out arcs with stuff like One Piece, so no big deal on my end, although it all depends on whether I enjoy those arcs or not enough to not "forget" about checking the manga weekly/monthly. It's definitely happened in the past with a few series.

Thanks for the input!

Fwiw my friends who've read the series via the volume releases haven't felt the pacing issues weekly manga readers did for the arc that the 4th anime season is about to adapt.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Samurai 8
Yeah I'm going to drop this, might pick it up again if I hear good things but really the worst part about this manga is the art, everything just looks so dull without shading.

You can have a Shonen manga with mediocre character and story but you better damn well have some good action and Art to make up for it and sadly this doesn't, like this chapter you have a big giant space battle with magical samurai and it looked bland as hell

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad 7

Wow JIn was incredible but wow at Papillon, femchars continue to get such strong treatment in new gen series, she grabbed that launched rocket in midair, mind totally blown.

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Children 8

What!? This is really just the prelude, I really wanted to see Sakura's growth, Wonder what we're time skipping too, college?????

Will miss noob Sakura.
D_TcWVwWwAEkbGe

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Kimtesu no Yaiba 166:
Wasn't expecting Genya and his wind pillar brother to join this fight. I guess there is no other moon to throw in their path so this works. I'm still guessing Rock pillar will have to join in too since it still seems like too much for Wind, injured Genya, and injured Mist.

Edit:
Okay I have to talk about this
We Never Learn #119:
Wow, I was not expecting Yuiga to get boob slammed so hard that he ended up traveling back in time to date Kirisu in the past. I legitimately laughed my ass off.

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 10
Oh hey, something actually happened. Me continuing to read will probably depend on where things go from here.

Double Taisei 9
Man I wanna like this so bad. It has all the ingredients that I loved in Hikaru no Go, but for some reason I'm just still not hooked here.

Beast Children 8
Is the focus of this story going to shift again already? Starting to get whiplash.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad 7
Papillon's a badass, I like her a lot and I hope this is a sign that she's going to be consistently important. I'm glad she has a Ninpo and the way they debuted it is DOPE AS HELL, but it's obviously going to lend itself to a lot of fanservice. Hopefully it doesn't reach unbearable levels.

I think I'm going to get an SJ subscription soon. Any recommendations for an SJ app manga without an anime adaptation? As you may be able to tell, my tastes are pretty varied and I'm really in the mood to discover new stuff right now.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, actually enjoyed this new Samurai 8 chapter.

New Yui chapter started to lose me again, but it's still better than when it was a comedy.

Dropped Double Taisei two weeks ago, forgot to mention.

In Jujutsu Kaisen, lol at the hyped up villain organization already being defeated. There was some good comedy this chapter.

The Last Saiyuki seems like it's heading for a conclusion, which is a shame.

Haven't brought it up for a bit, but Act-Age is still good. Preferred the school stuff, though.

Beast Children is alright.

About Tokyo Shinobi Squad, the prologue is still making me side eye this series, but there hasn't been anything bad after that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.