• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 155

In English the word "hard" can refer to both boners and to difficulty. So Ishigami saying it's still hard can be taken to mean that he's still having a difficult time with getting rejected while Iino's understands him to be saying he still has a raging boner. Does a similar double meaning exist in Japanese?
Considering Iino's question, I don't think that Ishigami answered saying that it is a "hard" moment for him, poor Ishigami... However this is a JP -> KR -> EN translation so it is better to wait for the JP -> EN translation to be sure. Anyway what this confirms is that IIno is the most pervert character of the manga, and besides I am sure she perfectly suits Ishigami, more than Tsubame-senpai.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I tried UQ-Holder! after reading something about it here, but the constant neverending harem stories around chapter 100 made me gave up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
if the time travel forced ending really annoyed me should i even bother with UQ Holder?

uq holder has a flashback arc that basically covers what happened, in some ways you could almost just read that arc can say Negima had a satisfying ending

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Tomo-chan [END]

I'm fine with this ending. The confession happened and they got together. I fully expect another few chapters with the volume release in a few weeks though.

I think all the hiatuses hurt the series though. It kept losing momentum as a result.

Yup. After all the hiatuses I just stopped caring about the series as well. It's hard to get invested when it just disappears for months at a time only come back for a week or two.

Overall, I liked the series.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Chainsawman
lol this isn't going to end well

Kaguya
Ishigami didn't deserve this and I was rooting for Tsubame :(

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well, no, I had no idea. But if it's the same harem stuff anyway, in small dose I can endure but..

Negima is bizarre since it starts off as just a full harem romcom with no battle stuff... for like 15 chapters, then it begins a hard pivot into battle shonen. The harem element never goes away though, in fact Negima makes it a mechanic. The more girls the mc can kiss the more allies he gains as a kiss grants magical powers in the negima universe.

Oct 27, 2017
I shaved then I brought a School Girl Home 1-8

I was pretty afraid of what was about to come, and then I got a kind of heartwarming story ?
Chapter 7 made me feel bad though.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Negima is bizarre since it starts off as just a full harem romcom with no battle stuff... for like 15 chapters, then it begins a hard pivot into battle shonen. The harem element never goes away though, in fact Negima makes it a mechanic. The more girls the mc can kiss the more allies he gains as a kiss grants magical powers in the negima universe.
It's weird because it's actually a really good battle shonen. The festival arc is absolutely fantastic and Negi vs Rakan is amazingly cool.

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because it's actually a really good battle shonen. The festival arc is absolutely fantastic and Negi vs Rakan is amazingly cool.
IIRC from interviews, Ken Akamatsu really really wanted to make a shounen battle manga after Love Hina. But the success of LH made the editors go "nope do more haremy stuff or nothing". So he made a harem manga at first and once the fanbase was established and the manga going strong he made a progressive yet decisive shift to battle.

To this day I really enjoyed what he did there.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC from interviews, Ken Akamatsu really really wanted to make a shounen battle manga after Love Hina. But the success of LH made the editors go "nope do more haremy stuff or nothing". So he made a harem manga at first and once the fanbase was established and the manga going strong he made a progressive yet decisive shift to battle.

To this day I really enjoyed what he did there.
After that first volume ended, it really became something super cool. I wish I was as high on UQ Holder, but that just doesn't do it for me. The MC there isn't as good as Negi was.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
After that first volume ended, it really became something super cool. I wish I was as high on UQ Holder, but that just doesn't do it for me. The MC there isn't as good as Negi was.

I agree, and UQ Holder suffers from a bit of bloat trying to wrap up the loose ends of Negima AND it's own plot lines. I still enjoy it and many of the elements that made Negima special are in UQ Holder.

Oct 25, 2017
Since I caught up to heroaca, decided to go back and get finished with fairytail volumes. Next is BLeach to finish up and then look through and finish any other lingering series I have. Maybe toriko, but I dont really want too, dont mind if it stays incomplete.

Rest of this weeks pick ups, and my first gunpla. Team gAGE.

tumblr_punoanATuq1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I could recommend Negima to someone who hates harems and fanservice but I'm about...7 volumes in and it's a lot better than I thought it would be, having a good time so far. I never got past the 4th volume way back when and the genre change is just as jarring as I remembered but it works.

Helps that Negi is so easy to root for too, he's precious.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't think I could recommend Negima to someone who hates harems and fanservice but I'm about...7 volumes in and it's a lot better than I thought it would be, having a good time so far. I never got past the 4th volume way back when and the genre change is just as jarring as I remembered but it works.

Helps that Negi is so easy to root for too, he's precious.

Yeah it's an odd series, those first 15ish chapters are really hard to get through because it is peak stupid harem shit that I despise. You ignore those and Negima is probably my favorite "harem" series ever since there is a damn good reason for Negi and the people he does battle with to all have "harems". Negi is also precious and has a really great character arc unlike so many cookie cutter harem leads.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Kagiya 155
Interesting development. I guess Iino's "ship" boarded Tsubame's after what happened. I am fully expecting them to get together at this point. After bonding over her arm getting broken...

Was not ready for like anything in that Kaguya chapter lol
Same. It came out of nowhere as I thought Tsubame really loved him but it turns out she wanted to smash instead.

Or did she? Maybe she saw how worried he is about Iino and got jealous.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Same. It came out of nowhere as I thought Tsubame really loved him but it turns out she wanted to smash instead.

Or did she? Maybe she saw how worried he is about Iino and got jealous.

I never thought she loved him, but was still figuring out how exactly she felt about him. But I never in a million years thought she was about that one night stand life, much less with him. Just thought we'd get some small flirting, only for Iino to conveniently interrupt before anything interesting happened.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought she loved him, but was still figuring out how exactly she felt about him. But I never in a million years thought she was about that one night stand life, much less with him. Just thought we'd get some small flirting, only for Iino to conveniently interrupt before anything interesting happened.
I guess our expectations should stop defaulting to "anime tropes" because that's the thing that throws me off balance every time.

Like the Iino conveniently apearing thing, I was also expecting that to happen yet it didn't.

I never expected this manga to be this way when I first read it. It's radically different which is great.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Hina Change ch.3

Bit the bullet and read the other two chapters of this. It seems like it might actually be something more than a constant misery fest.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 1-9
OH NO THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't expecting something this high quality. It's so cute and so funny and man. Amazing how in one day I might already have a new favorite currently running manga.

Oct 26, 2017
WELCOME TO THE BALLROOM 47

Back from a hiatus and it's as glorious as ever. Hopefully the author has her medical issues under control so she can at least finish this arc

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Dungeon Meshi Chapter 56

Some more backstory examination for Chilcha/uck, I suppose Marcille landed in the role of the shipper of the party, so she's the one leading the questioning. The last three chapters make it seem like we're approaching the conclusion of the story, but as this chapter shows, there can still be more character dynamics and backstories to flesh out.

x2.png

Just ♪, huh?

Last edited:

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Nitta will never escape Hina.

Have there been any good, new manga that have come out in the last few months?

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Nitta will never escape Hina.

Have there been any good, new manga that have come out in the last few months?

- The Wolf Won't Sleep (It's written by the same author as Bard Loen)
- Mushoku no Eiyuu: Betsu ni Skill Nanka Iranakattan daga (Seems like this will be another power-fantasy style isekai manga, without the isekai. It's fun enough)
- Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou Deshita? (Same as above, but is actually isekai this time. More comedy too)
- Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (Otome villainess isekai, without the isekai, and with the added fun of the manga adding its own reddit style commentary)
- Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini (Romance manga, I guess? It's often too real in the most marshmellow kind of way)
- Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute (Chuunibyo-ism the manga™. Also an Isekai, with atomic bombs.)
- The Monster Duchess and Contract Princess (Not manga, but boy do I love it. Main-girl is too precious.)

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
- The Wolf Won't Sleep (It's written by the same author as Bard Loen)
- Mushoku no Eiyuu: Betsu ni Skill Nanka Iranakattan daga (Seems like this will be another power-fantasy style isekai manga, without the isekai. It's fun enough)
- Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou Deshita? (Same as above, but is actually isekai this time. More comedy too)
- Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (Otome villainess isekai, without the isekai, and with the added fun of the manga adding its own reddit style commentary)
- Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini (Romance manga, I guess? It's often too real in the most marshmellow kind of way)
- Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute (Chuunibyo-ism the manga™. Also an Isekai, with atomic bombs.)
- The Monster Duchess and Contract Princess (Not manga, but boy do I love it. Main-girl is too precious.)
Huh, I'll check them out.
I have read some of the Light Novel versions of Live Commentary and Kage, wonder I'll like them better or worse in manga form.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Looking for a recommendation. I'd like to read something that's just tight if you know what I mean. It can be a deep cut, but I'd like for it to be enjoyable throughout and not get bogged down by its own gravity. I'd prefer if it were complete and finish-able in a couple of weeks of reading.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Golden Kamuy 205

This was peak Golden Kamuy. As much as I'm looking forward to the main plot advancing, I will never say no to these absurd comedy chapters. Director Asirpa is funny as hell

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Destroy All of Humanity, They Can't Be Regenerated 8
4P5A4W7.png
48W7BBs.png

Well, we had a pretty big jump forward at the end of this chapter. Something obviously has happened- either Hajime died at some point or ended up in a different relationship, while Sawatari clearly grew into a businesswoman who's heart misses him. I'm guessing we are going to be jumping into a flashback back to 1998 sometime next chapter, but it's clear that there is a lot more going on here than a very cute romance story between a chunni game and anime nerd and the popular girl who happens to like the same TCG the boy does

It's still what I look forward to each month the most

Blue Flag 46
uK2rZMN.jpg

It's the closest in months to once again being "normal" post-confession, and it's for the best- I think the fallout of that has dragged a bit, especially for a monthly series.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More accurate translations are out for Kaguya, and it turns out that the final flashback line is actually from Tsubame. That's way harsher than initially thought.

Goddamn, I didn't expect that from this manga. Though I still think Tsubame was lying about her intentions here, hence why it's phrased as a question. I think the confession legit threw her off.

WLw8FUu.png

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More accurate translations are out for Kaguya, and it turns out that the final flashback line is actually from Tsubame. That's way harsher than initially thought.

Goddamn, I didn't expect that from this manga. Though I still think Tsubame was lying about her intentions here, hence why it's phrased as a question. I think the confession legit threw her off.

WLw8FUu.png

Oof.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

WLw8FUu.png
I think she wanted to say yes, but felt she couldn't. Which would totally suck for literally everyone involved.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think she wanted to say yes, but felt she couldn't. Which would totally suck for literally everyone involved.
There's also her telling Kaguya that "rejecting someone because of fear of a long distance relationship isn't a good excuse" back during the cultural festival, yet that's exactly what she does here.

Yeah, there's definitely more to her rejection than what is shown here.

Oh well, she never stood a chance anyway due to Iino being obviously endgame for Ishigami. I just hope Tsubame and Ishigami don't end up on bad terms since both are good people.

Oct 26, 2017
Also 'long distance' is pushing it.
1563418754625.png

I google map where kanagawa was too and then rolled my eyes

I'm guessing next chapter or two will be:
Iino trying to console Ishigami
Ishigama giving Iino the present he was suppose to give Tsubame (making her fall for him in some way)
???? (guessing they shove the present back and forth and Ishigamai shoves it in Iino's hands so hard it fractures--it's a bulky aromatherapy machine)
Iino breaks her arm

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I google map where kanagawa was too and then rolled my eyes

I'm guessing next chapter or two will be:
Iino trying to console Ishigami
Ishigama giving Iino the present he was suppose to give Tsubame (making her fall for him in some way)
???? (guessing they shove the present back and forth and Ishigamai shoves it in Iino's hands so hard it fractures--it's a bulky aromatherapy machine)
Iino breaks her arm
Alas poor Ishigami exists to suffer.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
There's also her telling Kaguya that "rejecting someone because of fear of a long distance relationship isn't a good excuse" back during the cultural festival, yet that's exactly what she does here.

Yeah, there's definitely more to her rejection than what is shown here.

Oh well, she never stood a chance anyway due to Iino being obviously endgame for Ishigami. I just hope Tsubame and Ishigami don't end up on bad terms since both are good people.

I agree with you, I don't believe that this "distance" is the real (or, at least, the only) reason for which Tsubame doesn't want to have a serious relationship with Ishigami. However, since the moment she asked for the three months, it is clear that she is at least in part romantically interested in him (and, if she wasn't, I doubt she would have offered him to sleep together).

Status
Not open for further replies.