• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good timing to start posting, lol. AFAIK, the US manga version (Seven Seas) is unaltered. And if that is, every other version should be unaltered as well (aside the translation, of course). The anime version is just visually toned down. Those scenes also more come off as pure comedy, but hard to say if that was intended or not.

That's a shame. I suppose the writer may have just been trying to tell jokes but I really don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole at this rate.

The same thing ruined Devilman Grimoire for me.

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
That's a shame. I suppose the writer may have just been trying to tell jokes but I really don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole at this rate.
Nope, it's pretty clear that he doesn't try to tell jokes. Lighthearted at times, but no real comedy. The sexual themes are embedded into the story. And it also gets more disturbing as the story progresses while still pertaining this ever optimistic atmosphere. It's a very effective mix, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea. And it's good those red flags are appearing early on also including violence, because otherwise the sudden toneshift would be really incoherent. I could do without the "just wait till ..." edgelords.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Shijinsou no Satsujin chapter 3 second half

Uhhh wow they had me there thinking that guy was the MC lol

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, it's pretty clear that he doesn't try to tell jokes. Lighthearted at times, but no real comedy. The sexual themes are embedded into the story. And it also gets more disturbing as the story progresses while still pertaining this ever optimistic atmosphere. It's a very effective mix, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea. And it's good those red flags are appearing early on also including violence, because otherwise the sudden toneshift would be really incoherent. I could do without the "just wait till ..." edgelords.
Yeah, I'd say an author with pedophilic tendencies may not be many's cup of tea.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man 33:
Damn, Makima made that dude bleed with just a look. Don't fuck with Makima.

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Yeah, I'd say an author with pedophilic tendencies may not be many's cup of tea.
Indeed.

In other news, I'll start with Dr. Stone this weekend. I used to stay with long-running shonen that are at the least decent, but finally decided otherwise recently, probably for the better. I read MHA up to the Overhaul arc, seemed like a good stopping point. Seems to be the ceiling of this title? The last two pages sounded like that. Didn't hear too many positive opinions for Stone, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if Seven Seas will be doing hardcover collections of Go Nagai's Violence Jack?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This arc in MHA needs to end. I really don't feel like the villains are that interesting.

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
You mean the peak of the series thus far? That's still the AfO fight.
Don't know what you mean. But I've read up to volume 17 and the quality was actually pretty consistent. I had no favorite thing. But I didn't have the feeling it could get much better either. Most long-running stories tend to just truck along after awhile.

Edit. vol 18, sorry

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This arc of mha was long overdo, Shigaraki needed to become a real threat, and having his allies power level shows how much of a threat they'll be going forward.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This arc of mha was long overdo, Shigaraki needed to become a real threat, and having his allies power level shows how much of a threat they'll be going forward.

Shame the MLA got sacrificed for it

Don't know what you mean. But I've read up to volume 17 and the quality was actually pretty consistent. I had no favorite thing. But I didn't have the feeling it could get much better either. Most long-running stories tend to just truck along after awhile.

Idk, it's just been missing something for me since that fight/arc ended.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 182-183
Wonder what twist will occur with the goad ninomiya into an all out attack plan. Will be interesting to see how the battle changes with Chika using normal bullets, which is something this whole arc as been building towards. Excited.

Karasuma putting on a suit to play the role of Ninomiya in practice is hilarious.

July 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
July 2019 Recommendation: Dream Fossil

twXq1tj.jpg

1980s short story collection | 1 volume, complete, licensed in English and Italian
Dream Fossil is a collection of 15 short stories by the late Satoshi Kon. These stories, serialized in a variety of magazines in the 1980's, give a rare glimpse into the early stages of Kon's uniquely compelling style of storytelling. The buds of dream-like themes and imaginative worldviews that would blossom in his later animated works are also readily apparent. Yes the flights of fancy are anchored by knowing, empathetic portrayals of the very human nature of each story. (source)

From Lain:
Dream Fossil is good. The stories in it have a wide range. From the sad and a bit disconnected kind like Carve, which opens the book, to the more comedic ones like Summer of Anxiety or Beyond the Sun to the otherworldly ones like Guests. (source)

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't hear too many positive opinions for Stone, though.
Beauty contest hijinks and other random stuff are just such a drag that it always felt like Dr. Stone has lost its way, its also dont little to nothing interesting with its world beyond the backstory thats been provided at the rate of a slowly dripping faucet sad. also the manga is way too long fortunately the end seems very much in sight.

Think the series needed a clear cut antagonist who would be there at the end of the series and it would have grown, had more fans, and been something that grabbed and held people.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Indeed.

In other news, I'll start with Dr. Stone this weekend. I used to stay with long-running shonen that are at the least decent, but finally decided otherwise recently, probably for the better. I read MHA up to the Overhaul arc, seemed like a good stopping point. Seems to be the ceiling of this title? The last two pages sounded like that. Didn't hear too many positive opinions for Stone, though.

Dr Stone is fantastic, I know I don't post much about it here since most of my thoughts would be "another great chapter" and I'm not sure what else to say. Unless a chapter has a particularly funny joke or has some quirk to translating it you won't see many post on it here. It doesn't have it's own dedicated manga thread like the other big shonen and a lot of the people who read it seem to post more in those threads.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Dr Stone is fantastic, I know I don't post much about it here since most of my thoughts would be "another great chapter" and I'm not sure what else to say. Unless a chapter has a particularly funny joke or has some quirk to translating it you won't see many post on it here. It doesn't have it's own dedicated manga thread like the other big shonen and a lot of the people who read it seem to post more in those threads.
It actually does have it's own thread for the manga
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dr-stone-ot-welcome-to-the-age-of-science.66517/

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Dr Stone is fantastic, I know I don't post much about it here since most of my thoughts would be "another great chapter" and I'm not sure what else to say.
Great to know it seems to be good. Didn't have time to start it yet. About manga OT''s, I'm always hopelessly behind them and scared to read because of potential spoilers. Happened last time with Promised Neverland. I'm currently in the middle of the Goldy Pond arc of which I'm sure is already old hat to the residents here. (I miss the excellence of the first arc)

Oct 25, 2017
Great to know it seems to be good. Didn't have time to start it yet. About manga OT''s, I'm always hopelessly behind them and scared to read because of potential spoilers. Happened last time with Promised Neverland. I'm currently in the middle of the Goldy Pond arc of which I'm sure is already old hat to the residents here. (I miss the excellence of the first arc)
But goldy pond is the best arc.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Girl that can see it lastest chapter

Things are starting to get serious the last couple of chapters. I wonder what those animal like twins are doing. I can't imagine them helping her without any kind of pay.

That part when the monster saw her is interesting. Seems like it would indeed mean a bad thing if they realized she can see them.

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 Okay, you got me. That was pretty cool. I guess we're about done with the long prologue and going to finally understand what the story is going to be like from here on out.

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio 21

Continually confused how this is still going. I think it has good art though.

Last Saiyuki 22

Feels like the end is near.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio 21

Continually confused how this is still going. I think it has good art though.
Honestly only seems to be surviving because other series are doing worse. The Last Saiyuki is already deader than dead and it doesn't look like Beast Children, Double Taisei and Tokyo Shinobi Squad are doing that hot either.

As you said the art is good (I especially like his creepy art), but even after it changed from a supernatural rom-com to a horror-themed battle-shonen it hasn't been that exciting.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Kimetsu no Yaiba 169

Himejima is such a badass. And that Upper Moon 1 is so OP, I wonder how they're going to defeat him.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't hear too many positive opinions for Stone, though.
Dr. Stone is excellent. By far one of my favorites in Jump for the past two years.
The Last Saiyuki is already deader than dead
That's a damn shame. I love it. I hope they're not in a rush to cancel it.
and it doesn't look like Beast Children, Double Taisei and Tokyo Shinobi Squad are doing that hot either.
That's a shame too. I like all of those, especially Beast Children and Tokyo Shinobi Squad.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Act Age 76
Build up towards this show continues to be great. Hope we get an Araya focused chapter like this Chiyoko one.

Demon Slayer 169
Cool fighting style. Guessing we will cut back to the snake/Kanroji fight next chapter.

Jujutsu Kaisen 70
The author, as well as pretty much every character in the series) is a giant troll and I love it. The hard cut to the beach and giving the cliff notes of the rescue was hilarious (then skipping past the deadline they set after it).

Samurai 8 13
It turns out having a samurai cat unleash a giant attack with a tooth pick is neat.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly only seems to be surviving because other series are doing worse. The Last Saiyuki is already deader than dead and it doesn't look like Beast Children, Double Taisei and Tokyo Shinobi Squad are doing that hot either.

I hope you're wrong, because I'm tired of getting into manga only for them to be canceled after barely a year.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I hope you're wrong, because I'm tired of getting into manga only for them to be canceled after barely a year.
Nothing new for Jump.

And most are axed around 20 chapters (or less), which is why it's best to wait until a series gets about a year in before actually getting invested (unless it's already clear early on that it's going to survive).

Oct 25, 2017
Mieruko-chan 14 & 14.5

Jesus, Junji Ito would be very proud of Izumi's works because that "barrel woman" is impressively creepy.

+ Tic Neesan 155

That mom is the absolutely worst, but hot.

Nothing new for Jump.

And most are axed around 20 chapters (or less), which is why it's best to wait until a series gets about a year in before actually getting invested (unless it's already clear early on that it's going to survive).

That's the reason I stated my previous post about Chainsaw Man: If it stays till 100, I'll read it.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Jigokuraku 65

VsEMHLs.jpg

Uh oh, this is going to be interesting.

It seems like the story is heading towards a conclusion in the near future though, I wonder how much longer it's going to run. Still super enjoyable though.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 158

MAKI NO!

I love Osaragi's fashion.

I can't believe that Ishigami is literally just a Snape rip-off.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that ToG anime ends up in good hands. There are alot of parts I would love to see animated.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's been like a year since I've read any ToG. The Virtual World arc killed my interest in the series, and on top of that, there's SO many characters in that series, and so few I actually care about. I feel like the series lost a lot of its charm somewhere along the way tbh.

I'm looking forward to the anime though. It should be a great time if it gets a quality adaptation, at least until they get on that damn train.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been like a year since I've read any ToG. The Virtual World arc killed my interest in the series, and on top of that, there's SO many characters in that series, and so few I actually care about. I feel like the series lost a lot of its charm somewhere along the way tbh.

I'm looking forward to the anime though. It should be a great time if it gets a quality adaptation, at least until they get on that damn train.
You missed out. Bam versus Virtual Zahard was tight as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.