• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Punch 1 - 83 (end)

...I don't know how to feel.

It was certainly a ride.

I only got about a quarters of a way through it. I just couldn't take the misanthropy of everything. That mangaka has got quite a chip on his shoulder. Still shows up a bit in chainsawman but at least it's fun most of the times.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hi all,

Looking for horror and/or thriller manga. Preferably manga that doesn't consist of ten thousands of volumes, only a few, or maybe even just one. A while ago I looked for them and there should at least be a few that consist of one volume.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I've no idea what that is, but I will find out. I'm very new to manga myself. Forgot to mention that.
Ah, ok. Here's a bunch from Viz.

I don't think Togashi is too familiar with the English language.
Wasn't his previous manga called Level E because he thought the first letter of the word "Alien" was E ?
Yep.

qOq3nze.png

Last edited:

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Damn took a while to free some time to read manga for a bit. Other things kept getting into the way. However.

Dr. Stone Vol.1
Not bad. I like that the science part is grounded in reality as opposed to like smart people are portrayed in other stories, e.g. Bulma. Though I don't know if an actual science buff would be comfortable saying something like 10 billion percent all the time, lol. The characters are over the top which I like in a shonen, the "I'm dumb, but that's OK" bit is a little much, though. The whole setup to the conflict with the antagonist feels somewhat artificial and the girl is just decoration at this point, but I'll let that pass. Shonen usually take some volumes to get really going.

The Promised Neverland Vol.9
Hm, liked the previous volume more. Best part is still the great art. We're in the middle of an ol' manhunt game with the prey fighting back. Weapons and armor used feel slapped together. There was some wordbuilding earlier in the volume, but that didn't intrigue me a lot. Just more of the initial mystery feeling being diminished. Hope the new villain will deliver.

Stuff I started earlier:

Fire Punch Vol.1
Umm, yeah. Just a whole bunch of edgy™ stuff slapped together. Interestingly, the author comes up with all this gruesome stuff such as cut off limbs, burnings and perversions, but presents them in a rather harmless, not too detailed way so that the reader doesn't have to think about it too long. It's bad, but in a hilarious way. I was actually entertained. Enough to buy the 2nd volume at least. It's a miracle that the author managed to make the manga not look like a hot mess. The actual environment looks nice and calm and helps a lot.

Renjoh Desperado Vol.1-2
A comedy mix of Western and Eastern, that was quite fun to read. The protagonist Monko is a female version of a typical shonen hero, naive, but strong in fights. She's looking for a husband and does good while at it. Such stories with a strong, sexy heroine work better when the male counterparts are morons. They were a bit too competent for my taste so far, but Monko recently met three perverted Tanuki brothers that were quite moronic, so that's good. Looks the youngest of them is going to be her sidekick.
I read another title (more serious) by the same author(s), Lindbergh, but was disappointed by it despite the promising premise, but this one looks like more fun.

Go with the Clouds, North-by-Northwest Vol.1
Seinen about a Japanese private investigator in Iceland, realistic with a bit of supernatural flair. Probably the best of the titles I started recently, just judging by the quality of the while composition of the thing with good, believable characters and nice story. Narrative style reminds me of Tezuka, where interesting stuff can happen out of nowhere. However, the story didn't make me fully invested. It's been a while since I read this, and I hardly remember anything.

Lesser 1st volume stuff some of which I may not drop depending on my mood:
  • Ragna Crimson: Action fantasy, with hunters vs sentient dragons who also have a human form, don't remember much.
  • After Hours: Comfy yuri story, setting is Tokyo nightlife about finding one's place in the world, might continue this.
  • Vampire X Junior: Another yuri story, highschool setting, with vampires. Presents itself in a pretty erotic way, feels very shoujoesque otherwise. There was a twist at the end that might or might not turn out interesting.
  • Purgatory Survival: Survival game variant, felt pretty uninteresting.
  • Black Torch: MC gets recruited for a special unit hunting demons. Interesting artstyle, but super generic story.
  • Oroka na Tenshi wa Akuma to Odoru: Demon gets sent to earth (highschool) to mix things up in hell's favor but gets his ass kicked by his dominating female angel adversary. Comedy that could've been funny, but unfortunately isn't.
  • Devil's Line: In a world where vampires and humans co-exist, MC is a member of a vampire crime police squad, being a vampire himself (or half-vampire? Who cares). Felt like a lesser non-actioney version of Tokyo Ghoul and I didn't like that one, at least until after it fell off a cliff after a couple of volumes.
  • Tokyo Girls: Josei, but follows a common shoujo trope of an arrogant guy the MC inexplicably falls for despite him being an asshole. Story centers around three 30-something firends who are angsty about not being married yet. How pathetic. ("Asshole!")
  • Buchimaru Chaos: Violent ninja story featuring a kind of powerful monsters, so-called Nushi. Violent action is good, but there has to be more, right? There's some story about betrayal and teaming up with a Nushi, though (but not that interesting).
  • Ayanashi: Demons have infested the earth now enshrouded in darkness for some reason and humanity now dwells underground. Setting reminded me of BLAME!, which is good, but the story didn't live up to it, or else I would remember more at this point. Not that the story was bad or something it was pretty OK and atmospheric enough, but it didn't leave a lasting impression.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Looking for horror and/or thriller manga. Preferably manga that doesn't consist of ten thousands of volumes, only a few, or maybe even just one. A while ago I looked for them and there should at least be a few that consist of one volume.

Junji Ito is a good choice because he does a lot of short story collections. Doubt--a story about kids trapped in a strange grimy room because of a weird cellphone game-- is short and fun. Not as short but a pretty damn good thriller is Monster--a story about a doctor who saves a child but the child ends up being one of the evilest people on the planet, so now the doc's gotta kill him.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading Kono Oto Tomare and it's so good...

It's like the shounen version of Chihayafuru. You can tell the creator used to draw Shoujo and it really benefits the series. The art stands out and the feel good moments really tug at your heartstrings.
I'll have to check it out. I liked what I saw of the anime though I didn't end up keeping up with it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Junji Ito is a good choice because he does a lot of short story collections. Doubt--a story about kids trapped in a strange grimy room because of a weird cellphone game-- is short and fun. Not as short but a pretty damn good thriller is Monster--a story about a doctor who saves a child but the child ends up being one of the evilest people on the planet, so now the doc's gotta kill him.

Monster? Oh man, I saw the Anime. One of the first anime I saw and I absolutely loved it! Doctor Tenma, right?

Try Mieruko-chan. Just think of this manga is The Sixth Sense but in form with comedy vibe. You'll probably like it.

I'll look it up, thanks! =)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 159

Best part of the Christmas Holiday arc begins. And I love how some of the episodic chapters of the beginning of the series actually were used to built this chapter, it really shows how well the story and the characters have been developed .

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 159

The anime skipped the chapter that is being referenced here. I wonder how they might deal with that when the anime gets here. What? Of course the anime is going to get the 4 season it'll take to get here, don't worry about it.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 159

The anime skipped the chapter that is being referenced here. I wonder how they might deal with that when the anime gets here. What? Of course the anime is going to get the 4 season it'll take to get here, don't worry about it.

Between Kaguya, 5toubun and We Can't Study, Kaguya is the only one without an announced second season...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 159

I missed these two dorks. Shame Subject F is here to ruin everything.

Ishigami was Miko's slave all the way back on December 27th outside of school. Good for her, sucks for him.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we'll get another season of Kaguya from A-1 right after they give me a new season of Birdy the Mighty.

So soon...

...surely.

Oct 27, 2017
Kaguya 159

This is a three way between Subject F, Mister Daddy and the Catastrophic Duo against the Shiromiya couple.

I want to watch it. So bad.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Kaguya so damn much. I didn't expect this to go from a pleasant surprise of an anime to one of the series I look forward to reading the most weekly lol

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Monster? Oh man, I saw the Anime. One of the first anime I saw and I absolutely loved it! Doctor Tenma, right?

I'll look it up, thanks! =)

All good recommendations. If you watched Monster, you won't have to read it, it follows the source material very closely and is more pleasant to the eyes. Mieruko-chan barely has any chapters, but it's great so far. Junji Ito stuff is hit or miss imo, the good ones are good though.

I love Kaguya so damn much. I didn't expect this to go from a pleasant surprise of an anime to one of the series I look forward to reading the most weekly lol

The anime did it justice, for sure.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Spy X Family

What a great manga. I can't believe it's freely available and officially too. Any idea when the first volume might be availible in North America?

I'm hoping this gets an anime adaption in a few dozen more chapters. But I think this series might actually make for a good Western live-action series as well.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Spy x Family

Holy crap this series is so freaking good I can't stand it. Yuri confirms what people largely suspected (dad and mom were from opposing countries). This exact same set up could have been use for a very intense thriller, making it a comedy was a stroke of genius.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Haikyuu!! 361

Goddamn. So much hype on this. Just love the faces of the people who were watching especiall the victory fist from Shiratorizawa coach in the end. Sports manga are the best

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here read a lot of LNs? I got really into them a few months ago, but I'm looking for some suggestions. And maybe some non-LN books that have a similar "feel" to dig into??

elctrcblnket

Jul 19, 2019
san antonio, tx
im new to resetera and still pretty new to manga in general. my favorite manga so far and maybe ever is dungeon meshi.. as u can see, my profile pic is izutsumi being taught the power of teamwork :) anyways,

dungeon meshi 57
memories......... im of the opinion that marcille is a half-elf (and also very cute). she almost completely confirmed it in this chapter (not the cuteness, that's known and documented). that dullahan looked really cool, durarara confirmed. and im glad farlyn is just as endearingly dumb as laius but in her own way.

chainsaw man 1-34
AAAAAA!!!! reading this manga hurts a little.. first u had to learn about denji's shitty life, then he lost his dog, then you had to see him get betrayed and duped and disregarded. then makima died, which hurt a lot even tho she scares me. then everyone else in the 4th died which sucked!!!! then makima undied and got even scarier. now we know aki is gonna get fucked up and im (not) excited to see how that goes. other than that the humor is dark but good, the art is awesome, the characters are great and i like the pacing which is funny bc its something im always anal about.
also do yall know what year this manga is set in??? is it the 70s, 80s?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyu 361

Anytime Furudate titles a chapter [Chapter name] 2. You know something amazing is going to happen. What a chapter, I was right there with that coach in the end

Chapter 8: The View From the Top
Chapter 361: The View from the Top 2

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Help! I Can't Stop Reading Trashy Isekais But Now I'm Actually In One??!?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I Wanted to be in an Isekai and then I got Transported into one but I'm actually a Pug with a bastard Sword who is also Guts from Berserk and my Isekai manga is not getting updated because of Idol games so in the meantime I Play poker with Griffith but maybe Truck kun can send me to another Isekai that gets updated more Often please?

Or "pugserker" for short.

Oct 25, 2017
Higuma 19.1 END

Late on reading the conclusion chapter, but yeah sad its over. Really love the artstyle and character design and exorcist plot. I imagine if this continued HIguma would have probably sided with the demons perhaps and done something to break the system. TOo bad we'll never find out.

Almost thought we were going to have our expectations subverted and the girl would have nothing to do with the plot this chapter. Was so close.

Last Saiyuki 23 END

Well I did like the panels of what the ending prelude to the final would have been. That slightly older and taller design as well. Nice.

Last edited:

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Spice & Wolf Vol. 16 END
After the wait got too long between volumes, I put this on the shelf for some years. Recently remembered it and could finish it now, feels good. The whole story turned out very consistent with no real ups and downs. Lawrence felt less ambitious in the end, though. Maybe similarly to the story. A bit too smooth. Art was pretty good in this one, soft lines and such. And Holo was a great character. The later volumes had no map and character tables anymore, boo.

Has anybody said Isekai? Couple of weeks/months ago I also tried some of them to see what's all that about. For some reason, the whole trend went totally over my head. My local bookstore was getting refurbished and I was on manga hiatus for a while.
I tried Slime, Shield Hero, Overlord and Spider. Honorable mention to SAO of which I only watched the anime and taught me the fear for shitty main characters. Slime was probably the worst of the bunch. Just a single snoozefest that was boring from the very start. Shield Hero was talked about a lot, unfortunately not enough about how bad it is. It's an incoherent mess with some OK things here and there. With Overlord, I actually hoped I was unto something funny with the whole contrast of spooky looking guy with the nerd inside, but the story quickly degenerated into something less interesting. Spider is actually OK so far (2 vols). Good that the story stays as gamey as possible (so far). Humans made me worried about future events, though.

Generally, with many Isekai and other LN based manga, they now apparently tend to put LN like prose chapters inside the volumes. Please stop, that stuff is uninteresting as hell.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much longer We Never Learn will run for. This type of manga typically doesn't run all that long(compared to other genres) and There's only one term of school left before they graduate.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much longer We Never Learn will run for. This type of manga typically doesn't run all that long(compared to other genres) and There's only one term of school left before they graduate.
It certainly seems like we're getting close to the end now. That's the mood the manga has been setting for a little while now.

Actually multiple Jump series seem to be relatively close to the end now (Neverland and Yaiba both being in their "final arc"), which at least bodes well for the current and upcoming newcomers but makes me even sadder that they had The Last Saiyuki wrap up so quickly (though it still somehow ended far more gracefully than any other cancelled series I've seen since following Jump).

Status
Not open for further replies.