• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How do you not confirm a single ship in the ending? The final chapter could have been one page that said "everyone was successful and opened 5 star restaurants" and had the same impact.

Oct 25, 2017
What really sucks is that Soma had three major goals. Beating his dad in a cooking battle, finding a woman he can cook for, and getting Erina to say his food is delicious. The last two clearly being connected.
None of them were done. I don't care that "Asahi beat Joichiro so Soma beating Asahi is technically that", that doesn't count.
And the implication that Erina called his cooking good during the time-skip isn't enough. I wanted to see it drawn out.
I almost wonder if all the pre-Azami stuff was a fluke...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What really sucks is that Soma had three major goals. Beating his dad in a cooking battle, finding a woman he can cook for, and getting Erina to say his food is delicious. The last two clearly being connected.
None of them were done. I don't care that "Asahi beat Joichiro so Soma beating Asahi is technically that", that doesn't count.
And the implication that Erina called his cooking good during the time-skip isn't enough. I wanted to see it drawn out.
I almost wonder if all the pre-Azami stuff was a fluke...

The funny/sad this is the final chapter we got could have been a great spot for a joke/that "erina complimented his cooking" moment. When Soma pulls out his comically disgusting meal, all the other girls get the "it's disgusting" two page tentacle spread, then you cut to Erina who says "I liked it Soma" then she could revert to her tsundere routine when she realized nobody else liked it and it was more her liking it "because Soma made it for her". The easiest, cliche shit in the world and you can't even do that right.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
They gave the Mangaka 3 extra epilogue chapters and a timeskip and he still doesn't give any closure, the man must really hate his readers

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Radiant volume 12 out today but probably won't have time to read it until tomorrow 😔
Man, I wanna catch up on Radiant so bad cause I love the manga but volumes 8-10 are all poorly formatted in their own way on their Kindle versions to the point where I can't read them and so I'm stuck there until they're fixed (which they probably won't ever be) or the english release gets there.
Sucks cause from the end of Vol. 7 and the covers of the following volumes I know some hype shit is going down.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Man, I wanna catch up on Radiant so bad cause I love the manga but volumes 8-10 are all poorly formatted in their own way on their Kindle versions to the point where I can't read them and so I'm stuck there until they're fixed (which they probably won't ever be) or the english release gets there.
Sucks cause from the end of Vol. 7 and the covers of the following volumes I know some hype shit is going down.

Yeah the formatting is shit on the (legal) app I'm using as well, it's so annoying. Volume 11 was left to right, and volume 12 has incorrect double pages...

It left me so hyped for Volume 13, December can't come soon enough.

Nice, just about to start reading it myself

MMHZISW.jpg

Super excited haha

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Aggghh I need more

Why do these always end on the worst cliffhangers lol

Great volume though. The fight between Yaga and the Mesnie was really tense, Seth & co. barely even got to Bôme and things have already gone to complete shit... It'll be interesting to see how things go from there.

The new characters look really cool too

Only downside is not enough Sargon and Innina

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the formatting is shit on the (legal) app I'm using as well, it's so annoying. Volume 11 was left to right, and volume 12 has incorrect double pages...
Damn so it's a common thing with the digital versions? Why doesn't the publisher just fix them?
I think I'll just tough it out through the poor formatting if you were able to. I miss reading it too much lol.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Damn so it's a common thing with the digital versions? Why doesn't the publisher just fix them?
I think I'll just tough it out through the poor formatting if you were able to. I miss reading it too much lol.
I remember having similar issues with MHA on Comixology a while back(incorrect double pages), so I emailed Comixology and Viz and it was fixed. So you could always try contacting the service or publisher and hope they fix it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember having similar issues with MHA on Comixology a while back(incorrect double pages), so I emailed Comixology and Viz and it was fixed. So you could always try contacting the service or publisher and hope they fix it.
Shit that was fixed thanks to you?! I actually remember that lol. I was reading MHA on Comixology a few years ago and because of the double page problem I just decided to read all manga on the Kindle app instead, keeping comics on Comixology. Then one day I randomly felt like checking and it was fixed haha.

Anyway, yeah I actually went on the publisher's site after making that post and sent a thing through their support page. Not expecting much though since I had sent an email to them almost a year ago about this and they did nothing. Maybe the different process will help.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think it worth comixolgy directly? I know Kiss and a white lily for my dearest girl has offset double pages for the like 5+ volumes I've bought. I thought I had contacted Yen press before about it but I never got a response.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it worth comixolgy directly? I know Kiss and a white lily for my dearest girl has offset double pages for the like 5+ volumes I've bought. I thought I had contacted Yen press before about it but I never got a response.
You mean contact Comixology directly? It wouldn't hurt to try, in the case of MHA the offset double pages were because they omitted a blank page I believe. The problem was on Comixology, the Kindle version was fine, so the problem must have been from their end, so it could be worth contacting them.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Aggghh I need more

Why do these always end on the worst cliffhangers lol

Great volume though. The fight between Yaga and the Mesnie was really tense, Seth & co. barely even got to Bôme and things have already gone to complete shit... It'll be interesting to see how things go from there.

The new characters look really cool too

Only downside is not enough Sargon and Innina
I am so so hyped for the General Inquisitor's meeting, and to see how the whole Domitor thing goes on after this cliffhanger, cannot wait for December.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Irodori Comics CEO On Takahashi Criticizes [name redacted] Pirated Manga App

Interesting ANN article about the CEO of a new localization company basically putting a big manga pirate site on blast. And the series tweet seems to have garnered a lot of attention. I came across it a couple days ago and only had an auto-translation to rely on but Takahashi has since provided an English summary, linked in the article.

It's a shame manga piracy seems so widespread and overlooked. Hell, I felt like making a thread but then felt reluctant to because of the seemingly hypocritical approach to piracy on this site. We can't acknowledge doing it with games/movies/whatever, but we can basically do it with manga with no repercussion as long as we don't name our provider (not even sure I can keep the site's name in a news headline). Regular users do it, mods do it. No one straight up says "Series X - Chapter Y (illegal edition)" but when posts come before official release, we all know what's up. Even I've done it. In the past when I started using this site regularly I just read Jump stuff in Viz Jump then I started reading scans to participate in some threads. When I stopped using this site regularly, I also stopped reading scans but in the past few weeks I've gone back to reading them, with only having this series of tweet to thank for why I tried to just wait again this week.

There's a lot of manga out there, not all of them getting official international releases and fewer getting international releases of chapters on the same schedule as in Japan and even fewer having every chapter available legally through volumes/subscriptions (just this month when catching up on Yaiba, Act-Age and Jujutsu Kaisen, I had to read scans for the chapters that are in the big gaps of between available Viz chapters). But at least when it comes to keeping up with the latest Shonen Jump stuff, there's not even an excuse anymore considering the most recent chapters of SJ stuff are available for completely free in select countries on Viz and worldwide on Mangaplus, in English in both cases. And there are other manga from other magazines that get simulpub releases on other services, like Crunchyroll.

Anyway, please support the official release. Please buy volumes for manga you're a fan of if those are available in your country.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody read Komi can't communicate? I bought volume 1 and read it way to fast. 😂
It seems to pretty popular. Maybe they'll adapt it into an anime.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I am so so hyped for the General Inquisitor's meeting, and to see how the whole Domitor thing goes on after this cliffhanger, cannot wait for December.

Yeah I'm impatient to see all the other top ranked inquisitors. The Domitors look like they're going to be quite important too, they're after Seth for Hameline's death and don't mind indiscriminately killing civilians, but they're also against the inquisition, so it'll be interesting to see what's gonna happen. I'm loving the world building right now.

I'm also curious to see what the deal is with Adriel, considering he's wearing the same outfit as Piodon:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

Sometimes reporting issues leads to them getting fixed but it's not always the case. Buying physical is still the best option in terms of quality but it's not always feasible... But yeah I'd recommend still giving it a try! You'll probably stop paying attention to the quality issues after reading a few chapters.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I was recently rewatching what is possibly my favorite anime, Trigun, and in doing so I learned that the manga went on far beyond the scope of the original show. I don't read much manga, but is that something I should check out as a big Trigun anime fan?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I was recently rewatching what is possibly my favorite anime, Trigun, and in doing so I learned that the manga went on far beyond the scope of the original show. I don't read much manga, but is that something I should check out as a big Trigun anime fan?

The tl;dr version is the manga was in a magazine that got canceled, so the trigun anime essentially got a draft of the full story. Eventually Trigun came back in another magazine under the name Trigun Maximum and completed it's story though many events are greatly expanded upon or changed. I think both are worth checking out and are excellent.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes reporting issues leads to them getting fixed but it's not always the case. Buying physical is still the best option in terms of quality but it's not always feasible... But yeah I'd recommend still giving it a try! You'll probably stop paying attention to the quality issues after reading a few chapters.
Yeah I started reading Vol. 8 and indeed didn't care much about the issues after a bit. Just happy to be reading it again. And damn it's so good. The chapter I just read is the one where the queen is like "on your knees" to the Inquisition messengers and then kicks them away. Got me way too hype.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
As a Yakuza franchise fan I bought volume 1 of The Way of the Househusband. It got good critics. Anybody read it?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Some people have been talking about this on Twitter, but where are the best places to legally get updated on individual chapters?

I think we're doing a good job now of making digital trade books available, but chapters is another thing. Shonen Jump, Shueisha, and Viz have apps, but I don't think there's much else, and they only cover the biggest shonen manga. I only just found out about Comic Walker, which has all of Gundam The Origin in English for free.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some people have been talking about this on Twitter, but where are the best places to legally get updated on individual chapters?

I think we're doing a good job now of making digital trade books available, but chapters is another thing. Shonen Jump, Shueisha, and Viz have apps, but I don't think there's much else, and they only cover the biggest shonen manga. I only just found out about Comic Walker, which has all of Gundam The Origin in English for free.

Kodansha, the publisher behind Attack on Titan, Seven Deadly Sins and other stuff, release many of their works as "simulpub" on Crunchyroll and Amazon, meaning they come out at the time as in Japan, like with Viz. They don't put all their stuff on there, for example Fire Force isn't on there for whatever reason, but still there is a legal way to keep up with many (personally, it's how I keep up with Grand Blue).

I don't know all the publishers but I would assume some of the stuff on Crunchyroll isn't just from Kodansha. In any case, though it's not a very huge selection, it's worth seeing if there's anything you keep up with that's on there.

Though in the midst of this whole mod edit: we don't mention scan sites and groups by name conversation, I learned about this site thanks to someone posting it on Twitter, which was then shared by the person who started this whole thing:

Could help depending on what kind of manga you're looking to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Kodansha, the publisher behind Attack on Titan, Seven Deadly Sins and other stuff, release many of their works as "simulpub" on Crunchyroll and Amazon, meaning they come out at the time as in Japan, like with Viz. They don't put all their stuff on there, for example Fire Force isn't on there for whatever reason, but still there is a legal way to keep up with many (personally, it's how I keep up with Grand Blue).

I don't know all the publishers but I would assume some of the stuff on Crunchyroll isn't just from Kodansha. In any case, though it's not a very huge selection, it's worth seeing if there's anything you keep up with that's on there.

Though in the midst of this whole mod edit: we don't mention scan sites and groups by name conversation, I learned about this site thanks to someone posting it on Twitter, which was then shared by the person who started this whole thing:

Could help depending on what kind of manga you're looking to read.

Amazon? I had no idea Amazon had any apparatus for readind individual manga chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The tl;dr version is the manga was in a magazine that got canceled, so the trigun anime essentially got a draft of the full story. Eventually Trigun came back in another magazine under the name Trigun Maximum and completed it's story though many events are greatly expanded upon or changed. I think both are worth checking out and are excellent.
Gotcha, thank you. That's interesting. I'll check it out.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon? I had no idea Amazon had any apparatus for readind individual manga chapters.

Some publishers release individual chapters on there for purchase ($1-$2 from what I've seen) when they come out in Japan. I don't think Viz/Shueisha still do it not but I used to read Platinum End that way until Manga Plus came along.
Kodansha has Grand Blue on there (though I just do Crunchyroll for that since it's included with my sub) and some other stuff they publish.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Just a reminder: we don't mention scan groups or sites by name.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018

As someone who re-reads it on a yearly basis, Trigun Maximum is, in my opinion, a better conclusion to the Trigun story than the anime. If the anime was a 7.5/8 Trigun Maximum is a 8.5/9. Also has some of the saddest scenes I've ever read in a manga. Many tears were spilled.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
As someone who re-reads it on a yearly basis, Trigun Maximum is, in my opinion, a better conclusion to the Trigun story than the anime. If the anime was a 7.5/8 Trigun Maximum is a 8.5/9. Also has some of the saddest scenes I've ever read in a manga. Many tears were spilled.
Damn. Sounds like I gotta read it then.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what no one's talked about in a minute? Some fucking trash

I Shaved. Then I Brought a High School Girl Home: I hope reading the title alone is enough to let you know how gross this is, but let me tell you, it's somehow better and worse then what you're thinking. Let me start out with what I thought it would be about: guy with a beard shaves then looks incredibly youthful and takes home a girl he thought his age while at the same time the girl thinks he's in high school cause of said babyface then shenanigans ensue. NOPE!

fbX85fp.png

What its actually about: a guy (with NO FACIAL HAIR AT ALL) gets rejected by his boss then while piss drunk runs into a high school girl in the middle of the night who offers to sleep with him in exchange for a place to stay and he goes "Not gonna sleep with you, but yeah sure live in my home why not." Despite the manga constantly saying sleeping with a highschool girl is creepy, it's clearly pushing for them to fall in love. I wouldn't call this grooming persay, but boy does this love to be on the line. I feel like there's a lot of Japanese media that likes to try and tout these moralistic tales of "don't sleep with high school girls!" while also having her in her underwear going "let's fuck." Its the epitome of trying to have your cake and eat it too. I don't know what's worse, the ones that are just unashamedly creepy or the manga trying to trick me into thinking their thoughtful instead of creepy?

Also, I can't stress this enough, HE DOESN'T FUCKING SHAVE! He only does it like once and its in like chapter 4 or something and its only scruff! Maybe I'm overreacting or maybe the Japanese have a real tough time with facial hair? I don't know but I came into this expecting a beard of some sort and am left sorely disappointed. 0/10 unless you're craving some creepy cringe in which case 3/10

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Up to date with Radiant. Read vols. 8-12 in a day lol. It was so much fun and I missed reading this series even more than I realized. The art, the writing, the world design, the fights and the cast are all on point. I just love everything about this series and I'm looking forward to its future. It certainly is promising.

Yeah I'm impatient to see all the other top ranked inquisitors. The Domitors look like they're going to be quite important too, they're after Seth for Hameline's death and don't mind indiscriminately killing civilians, but they're also against the inquisition, so it'll be interesting to see what's gonna happen. I'm loving the world building right now.

I'm also curious to see what the deal is with Adriel, considering he's wearing the same outfit as Piodon:

Considering the outfit, I think he's meant to hint at the Inquisition having sorcerers that work for them (also "Converso" just seems to me like it's short for "Sorcier converti" but maybe not lol). But yeah I want to learn more about him too. And know for sure what Piodon did with his brother.

Also, when the new Domitor girl was showed resentment towards Seth for Hameline's death, I was like "next nakama!!" haha. I felt she was kinda standing out more than she seemed to be meant to on the airship at first so when her deal was revealed, my mind immediately went to considering her as a potential future main character but now I really hope that's where it'll end once she learns the truth about Hameline and Seth.

All in all, Bôme seems like it'll be a really cool arc. The introduction to the country is really cool and I love the way it looks and now with the various parties involved, things are gonna be interesting.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Demon Slayer. This feels like the endgame and I wasnt expecting this for a few more years or so. I wonder whats after this arc.

Gotta say, the writing a lot of the time is really bad. So much stuff is explained like "Oh btw X is this and that happened during Y". It also keeps telling the reader how to feel. Like when someone does something crazy, instead of having the character say or think something, its explained in the boxes like "wow this is truly remarkable and doesnt happen very often". The world and character designs are so good and I wish the author had a proper writer working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.