• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
---------------------------------------------
I don't know what's been going on in Haikyu!! but it seems like I'm only 3ish volume releases away from being able to catch up.
I haven't started Vol. 34 yet but in 33 the match with Nekoma started (and what a way to set it up, I was legit brought to tears as it began) and I'm guessing they won since a recent Jump cover had Hinata with some dude clearly not on Nekoma lol but I'm looking forward to seeing that match unfold. The one before against Inarizaki is simply stellar and I have no doubt Nekoma will be the same.

Give us your impressions in the Haikyuu OT when you catch up (or now!). Nationals has been awesome.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba 174

Yeah, I am not going to be sorry for this one like for Akaza. Rot in hell, Upper Moon One.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't help but think y'all are trolling about chainsaw man

I said it in a cheeky way, but despite its brevity I think it really does measure up lmao

I don't know what the world did to deserve such a masterpiece of a manga.

I thought I was in for some edgelord shit the way people talked about it. And we'll, I guess that is what is I got in a sense, but I really do find it to be an engaging weekly read. Humor on point too

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
We Are Cats

kitty.png

This is making me laugh way more than it should.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Jigokuraku 70

Damn it really looks like this is getting close to the end. Rip Yuzuriha
Kinda hope it ends up being fewer than 10 volumes, because I'd be more likely to pick them up. :P

And because I wanna see Kaku do a series in WSJ, asap (assuming he wants to go that route). Could maybe see him in Young Jump too.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Cross-posting something I wrote in the comic thread.

I started reading an interesting manga this week. It's called Shimanami Tasogare or Our Dreams at Dusk. Before I move on, I want to talk about the title a bit. It literally translates to Shimanami (a city in Hiroshima prefecture) twilight (or dusk), or "Twilight Shimanami." The title is super clever, though, and I unfortunately have to get into Japanese linguistics to explain why. The way it's written in Japanese is しまなみ(Shimanami) 誰そ彼(Tasogare). The way tasogare is written here is non-standard. The kanji (Chinese characters. Yes, Japanese uses Chinese characters in addition to their own native syllabary writing system) used are for "who" and "that (or him)," though the kanji typically used for the word are 黄昏 which are for "yellow" and "dusk/dark." The latter makes far more sense for a compound that means dusk, yeah? So the etymology of tasogare is that it was originally written with the kanji "who" and "that (or him)" because of a Japanese phrase "Who is that?"(そこにいるのは誰ですか) being asked as it got darker, because you couldn't make out their faces as well. Therefore, the characters used for "who" and "that" became a word for that time of day. Etymology is interesting!

So, why the fuck does that all matter?? The title of the manga is evocative of a beautiful image. Shimanami is in Hiroshima on the coast, nearby the famous Shimanami Kaido series of bridges connecting islands. So, just hearing the words together "Shimanami Tasogare," Shimanami at twilight—it may bring to mind something like this for many in Japan:
30568_m.jpg

The story, though, is about a high school boy being outed. He's finding his identity and grappling with coming to terms that he's gay in a society that doesn't accept that very well. So, while the title accomplishes the task of establishing a setting for would-be readers and pulling them in with beautiful imagery, it's a pun by using the original way of writing the word (that is seriously out of use today) to say, "Who is he?" for a story about growing up and finding one's sense of self.

The author is non-binary and writes in mainstream publications. That is huge! I've never heard of such a thing in Japan, because while the west still has a way to go in terms of gender equality, Japan is like the American 1960s with gender in many ways. Because of the author's background, they're able to fill the story with complex LGBTQ characters that you very rarely see treated so well in manga.

The manga isn't perfect, but I'm only halfway through, and it shows a lot of promise. I sincerely apologize if that was difficult to understand, but I did my best to explain. Thanks for indulging my idiosyncratic love of comics and language!

Oct 25, 2017
Massive backlog to get through, but everything from the past month.

If I can land one of these assistant professor positions, I can finally start investing in wall to wall bookshelves and display cases I hope for my figures and mangas and games.

EEY3_JOXYAEKgj9

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I started reading an interesting manga this week. It's called Shimanami Tasogare or Our Dreams at Dusk. Before I move on, I want to talk about the title a bit. It literally translates to Shimanami (a city in Hiroshima prefecture) twilight (or dusk), or "Twilight Shimanami." The title is super clever, though, and I unfortunately have to get into Japanese linguistics to explain why. The way it's written in Japanese is しまなみ(Shimanami) 誰そ彼(Tasogare). The way tasogare is written here is non-standard. The kanji (Chinese characters. Yes, Japanese uses Chinese characters in addition to their own native syllabary writing system) used are for "who" and "that (or him)," though the kanji typically used for the word are 黄昏 which are for "yellow" and "dusk/dark." The latter makes far more sense for a compound that means dusk, yeah? So the etymology of tasogare is that it was originally written with the kanji "who" and "that (or him)" because of a Japanese phrase "Who is that?"(そこにいるのは誰ですか) being asked as it got darker, because you couldn't make out their faces as well. Therefore, the characters used for "who" and "that" became a word for that time of day. Etymology is interesting!

So, why the fuck does that all matter?? The title of the manga is evocative of a beautiful image. Shimanami is in Hiroshima on the coast, nearby the famous Shimanami Kaido series of bridges connecting islands. So, just hearing the words together "Shimanami Tasogare," Shimanami at twilight—it may bring to mind something like this for many in Japan:
30568_m.jpg

The story, though, is about a high school boy being outed. He's finding his identity and grappling with coming to terms that he's gay in a society that doesn't accept that very well. So, while the title accomplishes the task of establishing a setting for would-be readers and pulling them in with beautiful imagery, it's a pun by using the original way of writing the word (that is seriously out of use today) to say, "Who is he?" for a story about growing up and finding one's sense of self.

The author is non-binary and writes in mainstream publications. That is huge! I've never heard of such a thing in Japan, because while the west still has a way to go in terms of gender equality, Japan is like the American 1960s with gender in many ways. Because of the author's background, they're able to fill the story with complex LGBTQ characters that you very rarely see treated so well in manga.

The manga isn't perfect, but I'm only halfway through, and it shows a lot of promise. I sincerely apologize if that was difficult to understand, but I did my best to explain. Thanks for indulging my idiosyncratic love of comics and language!
No you explained it pretty well, and it does sound like a really clever title. Made for an interesting post cause I don't really know Japanese but quirky use of language is always cool. And also that's a cool picture.
And I see this manga is available here so I just added it to my list.
Massive backlog to get through, but everything from the past month.

If I can land one of these assistant professor positions, I can finally start investing in wall to wall bookshelves and display cases I hope for my figures and mangas and games.

EEY3_JOXYAEKgj9
Damn you read a lot of stuff. Almost called you out for not getting Black Clover 17 but I eventually found it lol.
Is that like a month of reading for you? Or just a few weeks?...Days?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What would you teach, Professor DTL? Hope you get it!

BL!

I wish

microbio or immuno

Thanks, i always have this fear that im never qualified for anything :( even though i match or exceed all the requirements :/

Damn you read a lot of stuff. Almost called you out for not getting Black Clover 17 but I eventually found it lol.
Is that like a month of reading for you? Or just a few weeks?...Days?

Usually can finish a manga volume in an hour or so, LNs a bit slower. But I havent done any of these since I've been trying to get through all of Fire Force volumes since Shinra and Arthur are so good. Loving Fire Force more than Soul Eater since I only liked BLack Star in that.

Oct 26, 2017

30568_m.jpg

I appreciate the write-up!

This manga is on my "to-read" list. I will definitely check it out sooner rather than later!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Usually can finish a manga volume in an hour or so, LNs a bit slower. But I havent done any of these since I've been trying to get through all of Fire Force volumes since Shinra and Arthur are so good. Loving Fire Force more than Soul Eater since I only liked BLack Star in that.
Oh around an hour is what it takes me for manga volumes too (except One Piece which takes longer than most). But I tend not to read from multiple series in the same day so I guess when I saw all those different series I applied that logic to it for some reason haha.

Cool that you're enjoying Fire Force too. Didn't know you read Magi and Twin Star. Both of those I saw the anime for and liked but never got to the manga. I might start picking up the Magi volumes this year since I think Viz released the last one or is about to do so.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Ippo 1275

Ricardo Martinez: "I want everyone to stop bothering me, so I'm going to take the lamest down of all time just so these two schmucks fight each other and leave me alone."

Also Ricardo Martinez: "Ippo Makunouchi, it's almost as if the world is revolving around him. He's vanished but I keep hearing his name, I wonder what this means..."

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Ippo 1275

Ricardo Martinez: "I want everyone to stop bothering me, so I'm going to take the lamest down of all time just so these two schmucks fight each other and leave me alone."

Also Ricardo Martinez: "Ippo Makunouchi, it's almost as if the world is revolving around him. He's vanished but I keep hearing his name, I wonder what this means..."
Man, you've been reading this for years. How's it treating you?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Man, you've been reading this for years. How's it treating you?
Honestly, it's probably better than it's been in years. It feels like the series has a real idea of where it's going and exactly how it's going to get there now.

At the moment it's just a matter of when Ippo comes back, not if.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I read a series called Alien Nine yesterday, and if I had to sum it up it'd be "Madoka Magica but sci-fi and better."

It's really cool and creepy, and the cutesy moe art actually works well in exacerbating the situations the characters are put in. It's not the greatest thing in the world or anything but by the end I really liked the three leads.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Honestly, it's probably better than it's been in years. It feels like the series has a real idea of where it's going and exactly how it's going to get there now.

At the moment it's just a matter of when Ippo comes back, not if.
That series always sounded like such an emotional roller coaster. I've never read it, but I see spoilers like once a year, and it just seems like such an odd experience. It'll probably go another decade at this rate, huh?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
That series always sounded like such an emotional roller coaster. I've never read it, but I see spoilers like once a year, and it just seems like such an odd experience. It'll probably go another decade at this rate, huh?
I dunno, it's going to depend entirely on when Ippo comes back to the ring. Once he does, it feels like a fairly straight shot to the world title fight is being set up.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Saw an ad about this series called Issak in the last volume of Radiant, and the synopsis sounded interesting (a Japanese samurai in 17th century Europe), so I bought the first volume and literally the first thing that happens is an attempted rape. Jesus fuck there are other ways to show your world is fucked up.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Viz seem to be having a general sale this week on shojo ebooks as opposed to just a single series. Handy if you want to catch up on some series.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ippo 1275

Ricardo took a down to put an insane fight on his own card, promoting legend.

Also seems to have run into the 4th wall lmao

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Viz seem to be having a general sale this week on shojo ebooks as opposed to just a single series. Handy if you want to catch up on some series.

Damn thanks for this, I'm about to buy a shitton of manga, Viz so rarely has a bunch of stuff on sale

Meanwhile I feel like Kodansha has their entire library on sale every couple weeks lol

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 162

We finally have inner monologue from Chika and Miko. I expect the next little while is going to be real painful for Miko, but I look forward to her getting a lot more character development.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 162

Also poor Hayasaka is suffering too much and she doesn't deserve that.
Shirogane's father is the best as usual, instead.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I wish Seven Seas would do hardcover collections for Violence Jack like they have Devilman.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 102
This arc seems to be quite long, since we will get the side view of each quintuplet.
With this chapter Ichika tries to enter again the final competition for Fuutarou's heart, but I feel she won't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.