• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece Ace's Story is Viz's best pickup.

TokyoPop delivers the good BL love.

When Yuji accidentally hears his classmate Yamato confessing to another friend that he's gay, his perspective shifts. Seeing Yamato in a new light, Yuji does his best not to let prejudice color his view, but he still finds himself overthinking his classmates' interactions now. He especially notices the way Yamato looks at one particular boy: Yuji's own best friend.

Even though he tells himself not to get involved, Yuji finds he just can't help it: watching Yamato's one-sided love draws him in a way he never expected. At first, it's empathy, knowing that the boy Yamato has his sights on is definitely straight and has no idea. But as his own friendship with Yamato develops and the two of them grow closer through a mutual study group, Yuji comes to truly care about Yamato as a person, regardless of his sexuality.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

but if it self destructs in 5 seconds how ca it release by 2020
gJDUspV.jpg

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
AOT 122
this is really shaping up to be a modern masterpiece, I can't believe I'm saying this but it's getting close to surpassing FMA for me

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger

Lol I wished the meteor did hit, would have been cool, not this self-destructive attack. Didnt realize trion could interact with trion like that...

TeamHyuse Forever, enduring this assault is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Exorcist
EGD6MajXYAMZAOS

Sad two pages weren't completed or so. but it was great seeing the other characters families during this blue night to finally see just how chaotic and awful it all was. Wow.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba caught up

This is ... bad ? The anime left off at a moment where the simple premise and story could still be developed into something more, where the characters only got past the initial set ups and could be expanded upon. But none of this potential is taken up so this is still an exceedingly simple, like Stardust Crusaders tier simple, tale with very little in the way of any mysteries, curveballs or interesting character work.. Upper moons are all pretty tepid designs (#1 is alright) and both them and Hashiras are uninteresting characters reliant on 50 shades of; my family is dead, last minute, generic sob backstories ... I'm sorry but I just don't care. *** Nezuko is still barely a character and Tanjiro, though I still like him, is just really flat mr perfect, doesn't evolve past the initial batch of chapters, doesn't get any character stuff to deal with. And him magically healing people through powers of shounen mc smile is starting to make me look fondly at the past talk no jutsus of yore. There is a fun camaraderie among the likeable main trio, there is an effort to make power progression believable which is the case also with the fight results, by the way of making them team efforts but that's way too little to carry the series and the fights themselves rarely sport any interesting moveset or resolutions.

Whereas the anime could still squeeze something out of this material by the way of its superb production values I feel this is quite the reverse here. And it's not just purely the quality of art which is weak but also just the general storyboard&panel composition quality or depiction of action.. Honestly, at this point I'd probably call bloody Black Clover the better series. It's probably much easier to write a more zany&over the top nonsense like that but even on just the technical side of things it blows Kimetsu away while still offering some decent fights & intrigue.

*I guess kudos for not making the Master an evil douchebag ? With preponderance of that trope I feel that is a bit of a twist in itself.**
**He killed his own wife, 2 daughters and hundreds of Demon Hunter candidates though. Fuck him.
*** I can't quite gauge Shinobu stuff. I got spoiled on that. And all of my attachment to her comes from anime. It's certainly the best of the bunch but still not executed quite as well as it should have been.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Demon Slayer is a great manga and the anime elevates it's content to greater heights due to it's medium, as it should be. The manga is one of the things I look forward reading to the most each week.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Viz is finally doing Act Age

Nice!

World Trigger 186-187
The Chika "Ah" panel leading to the next pages of the explosion was hilarious (as was Konami's reactions).

Yuba quizzing his teammate mid match is pretty funny too.

Looking tough for them with Hyuse pinned down and Ninomiya and co now knowing the location of the other trio.

Hinomaru Sumo Epilogue
Loved this! Bonus points for effectively using the dream format! The ending to the jump run was serviceable but this was a much better send off to the series that I'm glad we got.

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Busy lately but took the opportunity of a short holiday to finally catch up.

Vampire X Junior Vol.2 (ch. 7-11)
Kinda suspected that the looming death thing was mostly handwaved/ignored in the following chapters. Nothing new otherwise, so no need to continue at this point I feel.

Attack on Titan Vol. 26-27 (ch. 103-110)
Thought it was a bad decision to explain the background of the timeskip with a series of flashbacks after dumping like 100 new characters. Kills all intrigue the story had in some way. Didn't care much for that character death and the only interesting thing right now is the side story with Gabi and Falco(?) since it's more close to the human side of things. The people continuing to have a single facial expression doesn't help. Feels like the next chapters should be better, though.

magus_of_the_librarymrjmd.jpg

Magus of the Library Vol. 1 (ch. 1-4)
Good worldbuilding in this one. The setting is vaguely middle east with some fantasy additions and resembles Arslan a bit, but more peaceful (yet). The art is good, although multiple cultural references have been slapped together a bit. The theme about preserving knowledge and imagination is intriguing, the characters are more standard. Yet, the mundane part of the story is a lot more fleshed out (such as info about book restauration) than the fantasy one. The volume is only a big prologue to later events, but there are no concrete hints of what is about to happen (timeskip), which fells a bit like a waste.

Spider Vol. 4 (ch. 20-24)
Starts to get tedious. A faster pace and skipping at least some of the skills would suit me better.

renjou_desperado79kdc.jpg

Renjoh Desperado Vol. 3 (ch. 13-18)
Contains a lot of traditional western imagery, but still feels coherent. The story is mainly about the fight against an ultra-sexist fort commander. Monko is not that suitable as a feminist role model, though, she's much too into traditional values for that. Nevertheless pretty entertaining and probably will continue to be with a powerup and rival introduced at the end of the volume.

Land of the Lustrous Vol. 6 (ch. 37-44)
This volume was quite good. I was glad the little guys and the strange room were not just (seemingly) dropped after the fight like with the slug or that dog in the past. That has been frustrating and a big reason why I never warmed up to this. The various visual ideas were always good, though and kept me reading. About time the story gets going, too, after five volumes. (Oh, forgot about Phos' body modification. That was actually a lasting thing.)

beastarsllk4d.jpg

Beastars Vol. 1-2 (ch. 1-16)
I was looking forward to this one to be released here. Publisher seems also confident, releasing the two first volumes simultaneously. And so far, so good. The characters are great and have good chemistry with each other in this Zootopia like setting. The story is (currently) a high-school drama with that seinen edge mainly about a drama class. The humor is there, too. I laughed a couple of times, so all good for now. Let's see how it goes.

witch_hatovjzj.jpg

Atelier of Witch Hat Vol. 5 (ch. 24-29)
Best for last. Really like the art, it's fantastic. Since the last volume the story got also more serious, but it was good before. It lacks that special something, but is pleasant and builds up quite nicely. And the world was great from the start, of course, especially with its magic system. It's always like a battle of wits of some sort, and the most recent ones were pretty imaginative.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh my god, I can't believe I overlooked manga will this time. I was a huge fan of anime, but for some reason never gave the source materials a chance.

I recently started My Hero Academia and Naruto and am loving it! Man!

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
One-Punch Man 118

Not gonna lie, i actually like how little focus Saitama is getting in this arc and we get to see other heroes fight, and man, it's not just Tatsumaki who is worth something in the S-Rank heroes, the others are cool too, and man, Drive Knight finally gets to fight and he is just so cool and awesome.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
One-Punch Man 118

Not gonna lie, i actually like how little focus Saitama is getting in this arc and we get to see other heroes fight, and man, it's not just Tatsumaki who is worth something in the S-Rank heroes, the others are cool too, and man, Drive Knight finally gets to fight and he is just so cool and awesome.

That's been most arcs of opm for awhile now, saitama isn't an interesting character of course the series doesn't focus on him often

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Oh my god, I can't believe I overlooked manga will this time. I was a huge fan of anime, but for some reason never gave the source materials a chance.
Enjoy. Naturally, anybody would prefer anime, with being in color and animated and with sound and all that, but as far as adaptions go, they always struggle with the transition to the other format in one way or the other. Plus, comics have their own strengths like letting you consume it with the speed you're comfortable with, creative paneling or that the art can be much more detailed without the need to pump a huge budget into it.

September 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
September 2019 Recommendation: Astra Lost In Space

Hm98o9C.jpg

Sci-fi adventure thriller | 5 volumes, complete work, licensed in English
Available to read on official publisher's site.
It's the year 2063, and interstellar space travel has become the norm. Eight students from Caird High School and one child set out on a routine planet camp excursion. While there, the students are mysteriously transported 5,000 light-years away to the middle of nowhere! Will they ever make it back home?! (source)

From BassForever:
Astra's strength lies in it's 9 characters, they're all really well developed and balanced where you find yourself enjoying all of them...As a big fan of sci-fi I appreciate the effort the mangaka takes to ensure each planets has a reason for all it's weird alien decisions. (source)

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Can anyone give me any information about Children of the Whales? I hear a lot of people don't like the anime, but I'm asking exclusively about the manga, so if you're gonna answer with your thoughts on the anime... Well, that's not what I'm looking for.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Spy x Family 1
This first chapter was great.
And the rest is great too, enjoy this awesome manga.

Anyways, found a reverse reverse Isekai manga...i guess, don't know what to call it when it's a series about someone coming back to Japan after being in another world and that just came to mind.

Whatever, the series is called Isekai Ojisan and it's great, it's basically about a guy that got sent to another world during the 32-Bit era while his body got stuck on Earth in a coma, and when he wakes up decades later, the only person that comes to visit him is his nephew who thinks he is insane...until his uncle starts doing magic and demanding to know one very damn important thing about modern Japan...how is Sega doing?

That's right, it's about a Sega fanboy during the Saturn era coming back and learning about what became of Sega while he was gone...oh and adapting to modern Japan and even trying to become a content creator on Youtube while his nephew thinks he could be using his magic powers for something else.

And i know what you're thinking, since this is a video game forum and all, does he get back to gaming, and yes, yes he does, he starts getting old Sega games and to get into the new generation he gets the favorite console of Japan, the Xbox One which is...again, this series literally has Isekai as the first word of it's title and this is what can be said about it, how did i not know about this series earlier!?

Oct 25, 2017

Soma fanbook.

Tsukuda wanted Soma and Erina to get married, but he "couldn't fit it in".
Asahi was added to make Soma realize his feelings for Erina.
Ryo and Alice were never meant to be a couple.

In conclusion: Yuto Tsukuda is a moron.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Soma fanbook.

While I think you could easily have "fit in" a marriage scene, I don't understand how hard it would have been in the final chapter to just change the narration to something like "nobody is quiet sure when Soma and Erina got married as Soma was never around and there was never any ceremony, but the matching rings gave it away" or something to that effect.

If Asahi was added to give Soma NTR cuck "oh shit I really like this girl"... why did that never get further explored?

And lolol okay about no ryo x alice ship. It's not like they randomly hooked up with like chinese girl and smoke guy out of nowhere in the finale. They still work/live together in the epilogue.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Soma fanbook.

Lol, what a crock of shit. But no, El Hermano needed an entire epilogue chapter to himself.

Hell, just show them wearing wedding rings at the end. That's all you had to do.

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Can anyone give me any information about Children of the Whales? I hear a lot of people don't like the anime, but I'm asking exclusively about the manga, so if you're gonna answer with your thoughts on the anime... Well, that's not what I'm looking for.
It's a romantic fantasy story with good worldbuilding about a mid-sized community populating a floating island, the "mud whale". The mangaka claims she constructed the story around real records she found at a used documents shop. It is told from the eyes of 14-year old annalist Chakuro. The elders of the community, the island itself and the outside world hold some secrets that he discovers throughout the story. The pacing is deliberately slow which might not be to everybody's taste, but the story is well thought-out and is more bittersweet than intense during the harsher moments.
For me, it's not super intriguing, but still one of the better titles out there. And the art is very good.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
It's a romantic fantasy story with good worldbuilding about a mid-sized community populating a floating island, the "mud whale". The mangaka claims she constructed the story around real records she found at a used documents shop. It is told from the eyes of 14-year old annalist Chakuro. The elders of the community, the island itself and the outside world hold some secrets that he discovers throughout the story. The pacing is deliberately slow which might not be to everybody's taste, but the story is well thought-out and is more bittersweet than intense during the harsher moments.
For me, it's not super intriguing, but still one of the better titles out there. And the art is very good.
Sounds pretty cool. Looks like it's under the vein of "series you would read for art and worldbuilding more than anything" like Witch Hat Atelier.

I'll give it a run, thanks for the info,

Oct 25, 2017
Big start to October, DRRR!! LN finished up, wonder if they will get the SH novels. And now that I finished getting BLeach time to get the final DVD sets 21 and beyond, and completing the rest of gundam origin.
EGNc2wFWoAEGACc

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
And the rest is great too, enjoy this awesome manga.

Anyways, found a reverse reverse Isekai manga...i guess, don't know what to call it when it's a series about someone coming back to Japan after being in another world and that just came to mind.

Whatever, the series is called Isekai Ojisan and it's great, it's basically about a guy that got sent to another world during the 32-Bit era while his body got stuck on Earth in a coma, and when he wakes up decades later, the only person that comes to visit him is his nephew who thinks he is insane...until his uncle starts doing magic and demanding to know one very damn important thing about modern Japan...how is Sega doing?

That's right, it's about a Sega fanboy during the Saturn era coming back and learning about what became of Sega while he was gone...oh and adapting to modern Japan and even trying to become a content creator on Youtube while his nephew thinks he could be using his magic powers for something else.

And i know what you're thinking, since this is a video game forum and all, does he get back to gaming, and yes, yes he does, he starts getting old Sega games and to get into the new generation he gets the favorite console of Japan, the Xbox One which is...again, this series literally has Isekai as the first word of it's title and this is what can be said about it, how did i not know about this series earlier!?
Is there a manga where someone gets transported to a slice of life type of environment? Instead of getting transported to a place of magic you get sent to a small town where nothing particularly interesting happens.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer has a great concept and artwork but it's held back by poor writing. The author often has things happen without any buildup or foreshadowing and then explains it away with a text box inside a panel. There's so much "tell" instead of "show" that it gets really grating. The current arc is an improvement over the previous ones but overall it just feels like a missed opportunity to make something really great.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act-Age 84

HANAKO, YOU BAG OF FECES.

This is some top-tier drama, and I can't wait to see how Yonagi is going to handle this.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Is there a manga where someone gets transported to a slice of life type of environment? Instead of getting transported to a place of magic you get sent to a small town where nothing particularly interesting happens.
Don't think so?

At least i can't recall any like that, there is always something even if it's romantic shenanigans revolving around quirky and influential people, there is nothing about an Isekai that leads to something like K-On, or, if there is, i have not read that manga.

...Oh yeah, can anyone tell me the name of one Isekai manga that i somehow forgot and it's driving me nuts?

It's one of those Otome Isekai stories where a girl reincarnates as a villainess and ends up being replaced by the heroine despite not being a bad person, so she decides to take advantage of the fantasy like aspect of the world to go after the Demon King himself and try to seduce him, if she can't marry a Prince and get all the luxury, why not go after the King that will eventually appear and try to help him not be destroyed by the heroine?

Cue a confused villain and his demon henchmen(and his one human helper) as this noble girl tries to give him food with aphrodisiacs inside of it, tries to sneakily make him sign marriage documents and all that with the Demon King being unable to kill this really weird noble girl who is smarter and deadlier than she looks despite acting like a crazy gold digger basically.

So yeah, typical Otome Isekai, only instead of the villainess being happy about losing her position, being worried about a bad end, or being so nice everyone loves her already, she is an unpopular girl that with her game knowledge decides to stop being a minor villain and go seduce the final boss of the game.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I decided to try and give Samurai 8 another shot and...... did Kishimoto just manage to write in an in series excuse for the girl character to just stand around and cheer on the mc, like it's legit part of the battle system

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to try and give Samurai 8 another shot and...... did Kishimoto just manage to write in an in series excuse for the girl character to just stand around and cheer on the mc, like it's legit part of the battle system

Yea the inherent sexism regarding the whole Princess stuff is truly something else. It's one thing for female characters in shounen series to be typically rather... disappointing in one way or another, but to unironically make it an actual part of the narrative is extremely frustrating. Then again, this is the same author responsible for Sakura, so not like I'm that surprised.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Sakura battle skills are the least problematic parts of the character.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
The Hanebado! manga translations have finally caught up to the point where Ayano's mom finally sees the results of her parenting
Z6.png
Z7.png

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard SO many things about Ito's works...So I plan to read through them this month in celebration of the best time of year!

If anyone has a suggestion for reading order on them, I'd love to hear it.

jiUj1SD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.