• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Oricon sales for the week are out.

One Piece got first as usual. Yaiba Volume 17 got second, and a whole bunch of backlog was bought. Promised Neverland in third and Spy x Family in fourth.

Samurai 8... bombed. Both volumes. Volume 1 only sold 12,728.
Shueisha: *thisisfine.jpg*

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious when you realize how hard they pushed it and how it got overshadowed by a biweekly SoL manga that isn't even in the main magazine
1570662675074.gif

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019

One Piece got first as usual. Yaiba Volume 17 got second, and a whole bunch of backlog was bought. Promised Neverland in third and Spy x Family in fourth.

For reference, Robot x Laserbeam, another manga from a big veteran mangaka sold 59,605 copies in its 1st week on sale and it only released 1 volume.
A golf manga sold over twice as much as Samurai 8's first 2 volumes combined, the new series from Kishimoto.
And that wasn't even good enough sales to keep around, they cancelled it in a year.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Spy X Family is doing freaking phenomenally, and all of this with no anime push.

Once it gets an anime, it's really going to blow up.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Weird to be using KnY in this scenario since didn't it's first couple volumes bomb at first?
Kimestu was put on the gif because it's currently selling like hotcakes to the point stores are low on stock, retail stores don't have enough copies of Demon Slayer while they're overstock on Samurai 8 volumes to the point where they're having buy one get one free sales for it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, Robot x Laserbeam, another manga from a big veteran mangaka sold 59,605 copies in its 1st week on sale and it only released 1 volume.
A golf manga sold over twice as much as Samurai 8's first 2 volumes, the new series from Kishimoto.
And that wasn't even good enough sales to keep around, they cancelled it in a year.
220px-Kendrick_Lamar_-_Damn.png

I hope sales for it pick up. I like it and wouldn't want to see it get cancelled. Though with how poorly the newer series have been doing in the past two months, there probably is an incoming great purge but with how many would have to get cancelled, I can see Samurai8 getting a grace period due to the name behind it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
A golf manga sold over twice as much as Samurai 8's first 2 volumes, the new series from Kishimoto.
Robot x Laserbeam is weird because IIRC it had the best volume 1 sales of that wave beating out the series that ended up sticking by a significant margin.

I hope sales for it pick up. I like it and wouldn't want to see it get cancelled. Though with how poorly the newer series have been doing in the past two months, there probably is an incoming great purge but with how many would have to get cancelled, I can see Samurai8 getting a grace period due to the name behind it.
Kishimoto said that Samurai 8 is supposed to be a very short series, so they'll probably just finish it out.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Is Samurai 8 actually any good though? Legit question, I haven't read it and only hear either mediocre things or bad things.

I don't think new manga should be exempt from the typical WSJ cancel hammer just due to pedigree, especially with how competitive the magazine is. Though WSJ's willingness to cancel manga after a few months is a problem in and of itself. Still salty about Mx0.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Is Samurai 8 actually any good though? Legit question, I haven't read it and only hear either mediocre things or bad things.

I don't think new manga should be exempt from the typical WSJ cancel hammer just due to pedigree, especially with how competitive the magazine is. Though WSJ's willingness to cancel manga after a few months is a problem in and of itself. Still salty about Mx0.
Mx0 ran for over two years.

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 is basically this generation's Gun Blaze West. A follow-up series from a popular manga artist (in this case Nobuhiro Watsuki after Rurouni Kenshin) that completely failed to catch on. Only lasting 27 chapters.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mx0 ran for over two years.
I wasn't really using it as an example of manga cancelled after a few months, or that wasn't my intention.

I just really liked Mx0 and was sad to see it end prematurely. Though it lasted two years, there were still stories to tell and you could tell that it got the ax.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kishimoto said that Samurai 8 is supposed to be a very short series, so they'll probably just finish it out.
Well not that short. Kishimoto wants it to last for 10 volumes, basically 2 years. That's not as long as many others in Jump but it seems well beyond "eh we'll just ride it out" territory.

I mean, don't have much to say about it beyond I like it. If you're curious then feel free to check it out but otherwise it's not something I'll go out of my way to recommend.

As for that Mx0 thing, saw it brought up in this thread and looked it up but it seems to have run for a decent amount of time. (edit: oh nvm lol)
It's on my list now btw. Curious to see what it's about.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's Kishimoto doubling down on the worst parts of Shippuden, the manga starts with characters being planet-buster level that can survive being cut into pieces and somehow Kishimoto has gotten worse with his treatment of female characters

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Huh, only now did i learn that Weekly Playboy is a magazine in Japan and while it is an adult magazine with nude pictures, it also has manga, and suprisingly, they seem to be not what you would expect at all.

Kinnikuman is part of the Playboy magazine, you know, the wrestling manga about a cowardly superhero wrestler facing demons and no female fanservice at all for quite a while now?

It's totally part of Playboy, because when i think Playboy, i think influential Shounen series that led to Shunen Jump apparently asking Playboy to put Kinnikuman in their cover a few times and allow them to publish a 40th anniversary special chapter in Shonen Jump rather than Playboy.

Don't know how that happened since the series started as a Shonen Jump series publishing it's original run...and then the author who had the rights to it went to Playboy and they accepted it?

I don't know, just feels weird knowing there is an adult magazine publishing nude pictures, doing some articles and then there is that one wrestling manga where a man with a gaping hole in his face slips into shadows, separates into 8 wrestlers and they go to town on a literal dalmatian man:
v5.jpg

That is actual japanese Playboy content, this is from their current run of Kinnikuman...japanese Playboy is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
It only started doing well after the Ufotable anime yeah, but different scenario as it wasnt a Kishimoto manga

This. Plus, it was ranking decently and Jump needed a hit as 2016 was the year EVERYTHING DIED.
We might be hitting a hard snag soon. Kimetsu no Yaiba and Promised Neverland are both on their ways out, and the only success story they have is Chainsaw Man. Yui Kamio might be cushioned but who knows...
Yozakura Family did rank well for its first week, but we'll see...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This. Plus, it was ranking decently and Jump needed a hit as 2016 was the year EVERYTHING DIED.
We might be hitting a hard snag soon. Kimetsu no Yaiba and Promised Neverland are both on their ways out, and the only success story they have is Chainsaw Man. Yui Kamio might be cushioned but who knows...
MHA and Haikyuu are older than both and they wont finish soon. However OP is near its end and that is when SJ will be really screwed.
Also isnt Jujutsu doing ok? I think it is already at pre anime KnY levels

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
MHA and Haikyuu are older than both and they wont finish soon. However OP is near its end and that is when SJ will be really screwed.
Also isnt Jujutsu doing ok? I think it is already at pre anime KnY levels
One Piece nearing its end still means like 4-5 years left at bare minimum, though, probably more.

It's really weird to think about though, it's hard to imagine a WSJ without OP. I feel like they'll be really desperate for new hits when the time comes.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 is okay. Its prologue was waaaaay too long. The actual series (once they started the first actual arc) has been on par with all the other shonen stuff (for good or bad).

A golf manga sold over twice as much as Samurai 8's first 2 volumes combined, the new series from Kishimoto.

I'm still bitter about this. RxL was really fun.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The former editor of OP laughed at the idea of it ending within 5 years lol
Figured as much. Wano alone is going to be another whole year and then some, and then we'll still have a little ways to go before getting to Raftel or the final war.

WSJ must be really glad that Oda is a complete maniac to keep the OP train going for so long lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I can see OP ending in 2027 (30th anniversary).
I can't imagine it going that long.

Figured as much. Wano alone is going to be another whole year and then some, and then we'll still have a little ways to go before getting to Raftel or the final war.

WSJ must be really glad that Oda is a complete maniac to keep the OP train going for so long lol
The longest arc in One Piece is 78 chapters and Wano is currently 49 chapters in. It shouldn't be another year+.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine it going that long.

The longest arc in One Piece is 78 chapters and Wano is currently 49 chapters in. It shouldn't be another year+.

Narrator: "It was another year+."

Shit I'm glad too lmao, though all good things must come to an end eventually :(

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet Christmas KNY is a monster. It's sales has already passed TPN and Kingdom for 2019 Oricon yearly sales. It's not 100% certain but there's a slim chance that it can beat One Piece. The manga boost has been crazy strong to the point where it's manga vols have been out of stock. It's backlog sales for the month has almost crossed 2 million. Who would of thought KNY would go toe to toe with One Piece in Oricon Sales.

Spy x Family has also surprised me with its sales as well. It's selling phenomenal even without an anime which is a huge achievement. Brah both Spy x Family and KNY have been going strong this year. Really has been an interesting year for manga sales.

Last edited:

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, how long do you think it'll take to marathon the manga?
Hmm, when I first got into One Piece and binge-read it, I had an entire weekend free(Fri-Sun).
That was from the start to partway into Water Seven, which the wiki tells me was a Volume in the mid-30s.
There is now around double the amount of books.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

We Never Learn will also probably end within a year, add that to Soma and you can have 4 hit series all ending in a 12ish month window.

Jump will be fine, My Hero and Black Clover both seem to have long lives ahead of them. Obviously when One Piece ends that'll be concerning, but I'm sure they were just as concerned when Dragon Ball ended in the mid 90's.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In One Piece terms, yeah it is "close" lol. It's 20+ years old
Every manga in Jump could potentially end naturally before One Piece.
We talked about this in the One Piece thread a while ago and for now, I'm betting that My Hero Academia and Black Clover will still be there when One Piece ends. Probably Hunter x Hunter too for different reasons.
We Never Learn will also probably end within a year, add that to Soma and you can have 4 hit series all ending in a 12ish month window.
Dr. Stone might end within a year as well.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As you may know, this week Shonen Jump comes out early, on Friday Oct. 11th instead of the usual Sunday. If you are used to reading the illegal release, please consider just waiting for the official release this week. Never mind the fact that once you get used to the official release, the wait is always the same 1-week and is just Sun -> Sun instead of Fri -> Fri, this time the wait is the same for you even if you transition because it's Fri (leak) -> Fri (official). There are no bad times to transition to reading the official release but there certainly is no better time to do it than when Jump comes out early such as this week.

You can read it here:
Viz (United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India)
Manga Plus (Worldwide except Japan, Korea and China)

Chapters come out at 4pm ET, 1pm PT, 8pm GMT

Please support the official release!

Thanks for posting this, sad that I can't get Viz here in Germany but Mangaplus seems to have more than I thought they would. A lot of manga that I'm not so much interested in owning but would like to read legally.

Oct 25, 2017

Jump will be fine, My Hero and Black Clover both seem to have long lives ahead of them. Obviously when One Piece ends that'll be concerning, but I'm sure they were just as concerned when Dragon Ball ended in the mid 90's.

Ah yeah, that's likely close to ending too. But I'm sure they could hold off on it with more "super wacky spaghetti-spilling fanservice" chapters.

Doubtful. Restoring civilization will take a while.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They've found a minitarized version of the petrification weapon, but not the full sized one that petrified all of humanity, the person/group behind it's invention, and their reason for why they did what they did. Someone responded with "WHY" but nobody on this island seems to have the knowledge of how to do such a thing.

Ah yeah, that's likely close to ending too. But I'm sure they could hold off on it with more "super wacky spaghetti-spilling fanservice" chapters.

Since they're past the main exams all that is left is to slowly weed out the harem. The question is how many more fluff chapters does the mangaka have planned before we get into final arcs with each of the girls to say "thanks but no thanks"

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. Restoring civilization will take a while.
They've found a minitarized version of the petrification weapon, but not the full sized one that petrified all of humanity, the person/group behind it's invention, and their reason for why they did what they did. Someone responded with "WHY" but nobody on this island seems to have the knowledge of how to do such a thing.
I know, it's why I said "might". It's not as probable as some others and there's still no "final arc" announcement but it's not a series with too much left either. And it moves pretty fast, or at least it seems to to me. 124 chapters isn't that many considering all that has happened in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.