• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know, it's why I said "might". It's not as probable as some others and there's still no "final arc" announcement but it's not a series with too much left either. And it moves pretty fast, or at least it seems to to me. 124 chapters isn't that many considering all that has happened in the story.
I'd argue Senku hasn't really accomplished much of what he set out to do when he awoke from stone. Tsukasa threw a monkey wrench in that "discover the secret of petrification and restart humanity" plan. It took 80+ chapters just to deal with that headache. 40 chapters later and the only progress towards that goal is "this new group has a miniaturized version of the petrification weapon". Dr Stone has this uncanny way to basically put up a big road block (tsukasa, the master/ibara) between actually making progress on learning how and why the events of the series happened. Just like with Attack on Titan the basement wasn't the end, but a new beginning for the series. That is what I expect the reveal of the truth of petrification and who did it to have on Dr Stone.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Dr Stone's story is motivated by showcasing science and being a fun science manga with fun science stuff. There's no point discussing how much the manga has left based on the story because the author is in full control of the pacing and he's using it as a tool to other ends.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue Senku hasn't really accomplished much of what he set out to do when he awoke from stone. Tsukasa threw a monkey wrench in that "discover the secret of petrification and restart humanity" plan. It took 80+ chapters just to deal with that headache. 40 chapters later and the only progress towards that goal is "this new group has a miniaturized version of the petrification weapon". Dr Stone has this uncanny way to basically put up a big road block (tsukasa, the master/ibara) between actually making progress on learning how and why the events of the series happened. Just like with Attack on Titan the basement wasn't the end, but a new beginning for the series. That is what I expect the reveal of the truth of petrification and who did it to have on Dr Stone.
Very good point.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
To Your Eternity 112.5
We've been building to this for a while now and it delivered as much as i had hoped it would. Happy for Immo.

Seems like the external conflict of the series could be resolved in this battle. Though I'd have to imagine that it will continue on for a little while to address other matters, with recent developments opening up a host of ethical questions lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
why can't there be a separate SJ thread?
I don't know but I voiced my displeasure on my thread being closed.
Come on man.
"Why did you make this thread? We already have *insert thread*?

So yeah, I've thought about making a Shonen Jump OT for a while now. I know there are other manga threads, I'm active in multiple of them, including a general one but from what I've seen on the site and conversations I've participated in, I believe this one still has its place. Beyond wanting to have at least one thread on this site where people can feel comfortable coming in at any time of the week if they like to stick to the official release of SJ manga, I see this thread as a nice place for people who read multiple of the series in Shonen Jump like I do and like to follow and discuss Jump itself as a magazine/platform. The main inspiration for this thread is the ResetERA Toonami thread. Just as that thread has its place among Anime-specific threads and Seasonal Anime threads due to focusing on a particular broadcast, I hope with Shonen Jump's history, popularity, importance and release methods that this one too can have its place among the other manga threads on the site."

Closing it so soon when it's clearly shown to be appreciated in the first few posts, including one surprised at there not being one before, doesn't seem fair at all. I don't see you closing the Toonami thread because "there's already an Anime thread". Let us have a thread for Shonen Jump, let us have one thread on this site for people who want support the official release. The manga thread has purpose beyond just stuff that's brought over internationally under the "Shonen Jump" imprint. I don't see how my thread is redundant and I don't think your decision is a just one.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care about a SJ thread but I also dont care for a lot of the other manga OTs outside of this thread and those certainly have a right to exist.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Because every single thing that you all want to discuss in there is already discussed ad nauseum in here. All it would do is further fragment the community to no real effect.
i don't think this is true at all.

There a million and one separate anime threads. i don't see why more rules should be imposed on manga threads. You can say that you don't want it but there has been support for a Jump OT and you can't deny that.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think this is true at all.

There a million and one separate anime threads. i don't see why more rules should be imposed on manga threads. You can say that you don't want it but there has been support for a Jump OT and you can't deny that.
I'm not about to argue this, but do you see an OT for specific anime production studios? How about for Marvel or DC comics? How would discussion in a WSJ thread be fundamentally different than in this thread? And remember, this community used to be a WSJ OT until everyone wanted the freedom to discuss other series and it was turned into what it is now. What happens when someone decides they want to talk about what happened in Komi-san or Ippo or JoJo in that thread? It will just default to a general manga thread over time just like this one did. The exact same thing will happen and we'll have two general manga threads.

I've been really nice about letting people go off-topic in other threads and discuss other series where they shouldn't be, technically all that should have been in here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not about to argue this, but do you see an OT for specific anime production studios? How about for Marvel or DC comics? How would discussion in a WSJ thread be fundamentally different than in this thread? And remember, this community used to be a WSJ OT until everyone wanted the freedom to discuss other series and it was turned into what it is now. What happens when someone decides they want to talk about what happened in Komi-san or Ippo in that thread? It will just default to a general manga thread over time just like this one did. The exact same thing will happen and we'll have two general manga threads.
i don't really think you can say that for certain, but i've voiced my support so i'll leave it at that.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Because every single thing that you all want to discuss in there is already discussed ad nauseum in here. All it would do is further fragment the community to no real effect.
But a SJ thread would have been for people who follow the official release, there still would have been plenty of people would use the Manga OT to discuss chapters early and non-SJ mangas

Oct 25, 2017
So I get trying to avoid duplicate threads but Era has always been really bad about duplicate threads. Even back at the old place, it was bad about duplicate threads. This feels like a weird place to draw a line in the sand.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What happens when someone decides they want to talk about what happened in Komi-san or Ippo or JoJo in that thread? It will just default to a general manga thread over time just like this one did. The exact same thing will happen and we'll have two general manga threads.

I don't buy this. I wrote in the OT itself what people can discuss in it. If people discussed other things and went against the purpose of the thread, I or others would've just directed them to more appropriate threads. It's not uncommon knowledge what is and isn't published in Shonen Jump and even for those who don't, I listed every single weekly series and the non-weekly ones. This not only makes me feel like the thread was cut off way too early before it could even settle into its own place and make clear to people what it's for like I've said but also just that you didn't read the OT and just closed it down as soon as you saw the thread instead of trying to see why it can have a place. And that is displeasing considering the effort I put into it.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy this. I wrote in the OT itself what people can discuss in it. If people discussed other things and went against the purpose of the thread, I or others would've just directed them to more appropriate threads. It's not uncommon knowledge what is and isn't published in Shonen Jump and even for those who don't, I listed every single weekly series and the non-weekly ones. This not only makes me feel like the thread was cut off way too early before it could even settle into its own place and make clear to people what it's for like I've said but also just that you didn't read the OT and just closed it down as soon as you saw the thread instead of trying to see why it can have a place. And that is displeasing considering the effort I put into it.
Oh, I read it but my point still stands. And, fyi, I'm not derailing with this anymore and you shouldn't either.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know. It definitely seemed a bit redundant since there isn't even much discussion here in the big manga thread to begin with.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I read it but my point still stands. And, fyi, I'm not derailing with this anymore and you shouldn't either.
No it does not at all. You just projected your own fears onto the thread before even giving it a chance to establish itself as well giving its users the chance to make clear for others what can go in it in addition to what the OP does. I'm not gonna stop talking about this when clearly there is support for it, clearly there is confusion over its closure and supposed redundancy. People have expressed a desire for a place where they don't have to worry about leaks too. Come on.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose they should combined the MCU thread and the DCEU thread into a Superhero movie thread since there's no need to divide up that community

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And you go to those OTs for a deeper discussion for a specific series while a JUMP OT wouldn't give you that.
He means we talk about any Jump manga in all the various Jump manga threads. Like Demon Slayer in MHA OT or whatever.
This would've given a place for those who like to talk about Jump as a whole, whether it be the series, the future, the sales or whatever. Like, the most annoying is that it was cut off before it could even speak for itself (beyond what the OP itself has).
I suppose they should combined the MCU thread and the DCEU thread into a Superhero movie thread since there's no need to divide up that community
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered a Bon Appetit thread today(and for the record I love their recipes) but there is also a cooking thread, and a baking thread already. Like I said, Era is already bad at duplications.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to discuss Jump chapters but I hardly ever do it here or in the individual threads because of early leaks

mod post - cut the metacommentary

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Enough with the derail. If you have any moderation complaints either use PMs or the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to discuss Jump chapters but I hardly ever do it here or in the individual threads because of early leaks
Right? The recent conversation there was in this thread over the site's approach to manga piracy is what refueled my desire to make a Shonen Jump OT. Because it's annoying to have to dodge spoilers and then come back and everything has been covered and said and moved on from.

That recent One Piece chapter that blew up on social media cause it was the best ever or whatever, from when I bowed out of the thread on Thursday to when I came back on Sunday evening ready to discuss it, there were 15 new pages on it already. It's what made me want to make that SJ OT.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Right? The recent conversation there was in this thread over the site's approach to manga piracy is what refueled my desire to make a Shonen Jump OT. Because it's annoying to have to dodge spoilers and then come back and everything has been covered and said and moved on from.

That recent One Piece chapter that blew up on social media cause it was the best ever or whatever, from when I bowed out of the thread on Thursday to when I came back on Sunday evening ready to discuss it, there were 15 new pages on it already. It's what made me want to make that SJ OT.
Maybe a manga spoilers thread would be more prudent?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a manga spoilers thread would be more prudent?

I mean, same difference honestly but then what? Is there a general Manga thread, a general Manga spoiler thread, specific manga OTs, specific spoiler manga OTs? The Shonen Jump OT would've just had its own rules, born from the realities of how accessible SJ manga are today for those of us outside of Japan and then every other thread could've carried on as they please and as they've done for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really worth reading? I've heard of it and know a little bit about it but don't know if it's good or not

Yeah I'd say so. Its a fun series but its a bit of a slow start and it basically shifts genres several times. The reasons everyone enjoys it were thing that happened in its last third. Lots of fun characters though.

Does it have a anime?

It does but the anime stopped right before one of the best villains in manga actually does his arc.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
And you go to those OTs for a deeper discussion for a specific series while a JUMP OT wouldn't give you that.
I go to the One Piece thread to talk about other Jump stuff too.I post in other Jump manga threads too but there's too many of them and I don't want to sift through 10 different threads to talk about manga, so I don't do it nearly as much.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): hostility, ignoring the modpost
B-Dubs
Since you've clearly read my PM I sent after you asked to send moderation complaints privately and there is no answer despite me trying to keep this private, Imma be real damn clear and real damn public here.

Simply put, it's a BAD FUCKING LOOK for you to be not just a moderator but an administrator on this site that claims to have strict rules on piracy and do what you did to the SJ thread.

This is a site where piracy in general is frowned upon and people can get banned or threads can be closed for the mere suggestion that they've done it no matter the reasons or circumstances. We can see an example of it here in this thread with people reminiscing about emulation that you personally closed because it amounted to admission and/or advocating of piracy.

Yet you're the same admin who looks the other way on many manga threads whose foundations are built on this because of the history of late manga localizations. Not only that, you actively admit to piracy yourself weekly in these threads.

The time people brought up the hypocrisy in the way the site has handled manga piracy and the way discussion of illegal chapters has been normalized, you ducked out of the conversation. That's a bad look on its own, a worse one when we consider the thread linked above that you closed yourself. You are a hypocrite as an admin.

And now, I make one manga thread on this site where the rules of this site are actually respected, one thread that can legitimately be taken seriously on this front while not having to disrupt the rules and habits in other threads and that's the one thread you close? Because apparently, that one is redundant despite the clear support it's had and despite the fact that you didn't even give it a chance to settle in yet all these other threads normalizing discussion of illegally released material that those who prefer reading officially have to steer clear from are fine and you let those fly, actively partaking yourself? It's fine to be a hypocrite but it's not fine to have a thread about a particular magazine?

I'll say it again. It is a bad fucking look for you to do what you've done. It's hard to take you seriously as an administrator of this site.

If this is somehow bannable despite just wanting a thread for discussion of legally released material and despite me telling you this privately and you not responding, then whatever, you've already lost whatever credibility you had in my eyes anyway.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
B-Dubs
Since you've clearly read my PM I sent after you asked to send moderation complaints privately and there is no answer despite me trying to keep this private, Imma be real damn clear and real damn public here.
You sent that PM less than three hours ago, at a time when we are dealing with an unusually large number of reports. It's very disappointing that you would escalate in this manner just because you weren't catered to immediately.

If you had waited for B-Dubs to reply, he would have told you that he had already been working on a potential official releases thread and was trying to iron out the kinks before launching it. After receiving your message, he promptly brought the issue to the attention of the rest of the staff, and we were actively discussing the best way to get this done -- right up until you decided to exacerbate the situation with insults and personal attacks.

It's not clear what you believed you would achieve with this, but let the record show that this is not how you get what you want.

Oct 25, 2017
you had waited for B-Dubs to reply, he would have told you that he had already been working on a potential official releases thread and was trying to iron out the kinks before launching it. After receiving your message, he promptly brought the issue to the attention of the rest of the staff, and we were actively discussing the best way to get this done -- right up until you decided to exacerbate the situation with insults and personal attacks.

I'm just going to throw it out there; Why didn't he just mention that? A lot of the issues the past hours could have been resolved by saying "I hear you, I'm talking it over with the other administrators."

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
I'm just going to throw it out there; Why didn't he just mention that? A lot of the issues the past hours could have been resolved by saying "I hear you, I'm talking it over with the other administrators."
He was dealing with other very urgent reports while juggling his real life. He was going to send an update as soon as we had details to convey. No one expected nuclear escalation after less than three hours because generally members do not do that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'll join the conversation and say Medaka Box is a top tier shonen jump series and it's really disappointing that Viz never licensed the series for English release :(

Support the official English (or whatever language manga released in your country) release, especially if you're in a country that has access to the viz digital vault and/or manga plus.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It turns out mods and admins actually have lives and other things to do besides being constantly their to address every goddamn concern you might have immediately. Who'd have thought

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
I am back just to say that Medaka.Box become one of my favorite manga the moment they introduce Kumagawa Misogi. Dude.is the best troll and i argue he still maintain one of the best anti-hero in jump magazine

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You sent that PM less than three hours ago, at a time when we are dealing with an unusually large number of reports. It's very disappointing that you would escalate in this manner just because you weren't catered to immediately.

If you had waited for B-Dubs to reply, he would have told you that he had already been working on a potential official releases thread and was trying to iron out the kinks before launching it. After receiving your message, he promptly brought the issue to the attention of the rest of the staff, and we were actively discussing the best way to get this done -- right up until you decided to exacerbate the situation with insults and personal attacks.

It's not clear what you believed you would achieve with this, but let the record show that this is not how you get what you want.
i feel like it would have gone a long way for B-Dubs to have just been transparent about this from the get g

tbh it probably would have prevented much of this exchange

i dont understand the need for secrecy

e: nvm, see you answered a similaR post above. Disregard

Status
Not open for further replies.