• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
that's fair. i haven't really watched any of their recent adaptations , but yeah they do use a ton of filler. i was thinking of it more from an animation perspective, as I think Pierrot produces some of the best animation in the business (when they want to, they have their fair share of bad looking episodes too). Jujutsu Kaisen isn't that far along though, which would give me hope that they wouldn't do filler.

Toei, I agree is not a great studio to send stuff to these days...I think they're at least getting better at managing the One Piece anime...from a visual perspective. Pacing is still horrendous which is the reason I don't watch the anime outside of 'big' moments.

Anyways, if there is an anime announced for Jujustsu it's hard to go wrong with Studio Bones

i wasn't expecting his background to be like that. to be honest, i don't even think i agree with what he did (not the beating up part, the not telling the girl the truth part). I feel like that girl had a right to know the truth and he kind of robbed her of her own sort of character development? I know when I got cheated on it caused me to reflect and undergo some personal growth.

but the fact that he stuck to his principals and endured all that ridicule and wouldn't apologize, sticking to his own morals, i can respect that. I like how we are shown that his world is opening up when he stops hiding and that there are good people in the world if you look for them.

also screamed when he told that girl to shut up. like fucking get it Ishigami!!

idk how this manga is so consistently good and funny lol

the fried rice chapter had me rolling too
You never expect him to end up being one of the most sympathetic and best characters in the series when you first see him. It just sneaks up on you and punches you in the heart. Also good point about robbing the girl of her own growth. People go through a lot of hardships, but ultimately learn from said hardships. She clearly hadn't learned due to not learning the truth.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The recent sale on Rightstuff hurt my wallet pretty bad. But I'm excited. I'm intrigued by Complex Age as it seems like a story I'd be into. I didn't pick it up yet, though. I did buy all of Genshiken Second Season because I really loved the first run. That's going to be a fun read. And Little Witch Academy was on sale, so...I had to buy that.

Oct 25, 2017
either original endings or no follow ups (Twin Star Exorcist),
I dont know how thats a Pierrot exclusive fault when any studio adapting any ongoing series would face the same issue. Actually I dont even know how that is a ding against anyone in general.

Unless companies wait until a series is over to animate then more often t hen not they'll run into this issue

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You never expect him to end up being one of the most sympathetic and best characters in the series when you first see him. It just sneaks up on you and punches you in the heart. Also good point about robbing the girl of her own growth. People go through a lot of hardships, but ultimately learn from said hardships. She clearly hadn't learned due to not learning the truth.
i didn't expect it at all but i am here for it. he's hilarious too.

i think his heart was in the right place but i feel like people have a right to know the truth even if it hurts. he's a good guy for sure though.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kaguya is probably the best manga/anime I got into this year. Marathoning it and all the new chapters have been a treat.

I dont know how thats a Pierrot exclusive fault when any studio adapting any ongoing series would face the same issue. Actually I dont even know how that is a ding against anyone in general.

Unless companies wait until a series is over to animate then more often t hen not they'll run into this issue
Please inform me of when I said that it was a Pierrot exclusive fault. Of course other anime from other studios have had anime original endings. Hell, it was what Bones was known for for the longest.

I just gave reasons why anime fans feel hesitant against Pierrot when it comes to anime adaption announcements as most of their anime tend to fall into the 3 categories above, despite making mult-season adaptions is the norm nowadays, especially for Shounen Jump related anime.

Also, the whole anime original ending thing has been nipped in the bud for most modern anime. Once again, it's why the seasonal approach is the main approach of Shounen adaptions nowadays. I don't get your point of "unless companies wait until a series is over to animate, they'll keep running into this issue". If they run out of material, then wait for more and do a new season. Or, shocker, the seasonal approach makes it so that you're always behind the manga and have material to adapt in a 13-24 episode season. No need to wait for a series to be over to animate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kaguya is probably the best manga/anime I got into this year. Marathoning it and all the new chapters have been a treat.

Please inform me of when I said that it was a Pierrot exclusive fault. Of course other anime from other studios have had anime original endings. Hell, it was what Bones was known for for the longest.

Sorry it wasn't my intention to come across as hostile. I just find mentioning such a concern in the aspect of an adaptation of on ongoing series would be a problem no matter who adapts it so it shouldnt be something used to ding or praise a studio for. Perhaps I misunderstood your point.

Also, the whole anime original ending thing has been nipped in the bud for most modern anime. Once again, it's why the seasonal approach is the main approach of Shounen adaptions nowadays. I don't get your point of "unless companies wait until a series is over to animate, they'll keep running into this issue". If they run out of material, then wait for more and do a new season. Or, shocker, the seasonal approach makes it so that you're always behind the manga and have material to adapt in a 13-24 episode season. No need to wait for a series to be over to animate it.

I didnt think season approach is because of content, but rather the changing content of tv stations and media delivery in jpn.

Also the season approach has always been the main approach, in others words, the number of >24episode boys action series adaptations is just about the same as it was in the past, BC, DBS, FT, Boruto, OP, YGO, Ace of Diamond, Conan, like compare say summer or spring this year (2019) to a decade ago and you come up with the same number of shows,

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it wasn't my intention to come across as hostile. I just find mentioning such a concern in the aspect of an adaptation of on ongoing series would be a problem no matter who adapts it so it shouldnt be something used to ding or praise a studio for. Perhaps I misunderstood your point.

I didnt think season approach is because of content, but rather the changing content of tv stations and media delivery in jpn.

Also the season approach has always been the main approach, in others words, the number of >24episode boys action series adaptations is just about the same as it was in the past, BC, DBS, FT, Boruto, OP, YGO, Ace of Diamond, Conan, like compare say summer or spring this year (2019) to a decade ago and you come up with the same number of shows,
My bad if I came off hostile as well.

As for you 2nd point, yeah there's still a big amount of long running shows out there, but each one you mentioned is based off of a manga/franchise that has been running for over a decade at this point, sans Black Clover.

Outside of Black Clover, you don't see a lot of manga introduced this decade going for the long running approach compared that being the norm with the bigger upcoming manga titles in the past. I think this is for the better as it leads to more consistent animation and better pacing. With Black Clover being the outlier on this, people tend to associate its long running approach with the studio in charge of it, even if it wasn't their decision to do so. So yeah, its not Studio Perriot's fault (probably), but people are naturally going to associate said issues with the studio due to their history of shounen adaptions.

I think Black Clover isn't a big as it could be in the west due to the west being more welcoming of the multi-season approach with shows like MHA, Dr. Stone, Assassination Classroom, Food Wars, Haiykuu, and Promised Neverland. It's not flawless though, as Magi as shown. You can always not get another season renewed and just end with no actual conclusion.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hey y'all. im about 100 issues through Beastars and i had a question for those who are all the wya up to date. i really enjoyed the first arc of Beastars, with legosi forming relationships with all of his schoolmates and so on. really really loved it. but ever since louis joined the shishigami, i've been having less of an enjoyable time with the book. i kept going because of legosi's interactions with his classmates, but now, with legosi leaving school, im kind of lacking the initiative to keep going.

so here my question. is it worth it to keep reading the next 50 issues? does it go back to the slice of life style of book or revisit/restart exploring legosi's various relationships? he's just getting his apartment and it feels like he's given up on all feelings and hopes he had from the best parts of the series...

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
All caught up with reading Demon Slayer after seeing so much fan art about it. Feels like I'm joining when the end isn't too far off though, haha.

hey y'all. im about 100 issues through Beastars and i had a question for those who are all the wya up to date. i really enjoyed the first arc of Beastars, with legosi forming relationships with all of his schoolmates and so on. really really loved it. but ever since louis joined the shishigami, i've been having less of an enjoyable time with the book. i kept going because of legosi's interactions with his classmates, but now, with legosi leaving school, im kind of lacking the initiative to keep going.

so here my question. is it worth it to keep reading the next 50 issues? does it go back to the slice of life style of book or revisit/restart exploring legosi's various relationships? he's just getting his apartment and it feels like he's given up on all feelings and hopes he had from the best parts of the series...

I've been taking a break from reading it at the moment since the official releases started coming out, but I still enjoyed what I read past where you are. There is still SoL, just expanded even more now given the new situation, as well as learning more about Legosi's family situation. He still interacts with his classmates, even in his new apartment, just obviously less often now. I'd say to see how you like the new cast and their interactions with Legosi before completely pulling the plug. I personally enjoyed it, but different strokes for different folks.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pita-Ten
191236l.jpg

Got a bunch of my old manga back from storage a few weeks ago, so I've been going back in time with some of my childhood favorites. It's always a little scary reading your childhood favs because you don't how how well they'll hold up, but this still made me tear up by the end.

There are some things that really stand out in a worse way now that I'm older. Like how you've got all these deep introspection moments from 12-year olds lol. Like I don't think the story would've changed much if you had this all being about their senior year of high school, though Misha's baby talk would've stood out more. Speaking of that that really didn't age well, I remember thinking it was cute when I was younger but it's super grating to me now, like ugh. Also I think the main romance is pretty romance is pretty rushed, like Kotarou is so standoffish to Misha that by the time he realizes he actually likes her he goes straight to falling super hard over her to the point that it's almost unbelievable, though with time running out between I can still barely believe it. Ayanokoji's feelings for Uematsu come out of nowhere and look like just a blatant attempt to give Kotarou the kick in the butt he needs to get a move on.

But still, a lot of things got me even though I remembered what was coming. Shia's death hits just as hard as I remembered, and even though she's still mentioned it still struck me how she's not even there for the rest of the manga. And while it makes sense, Kotarou wishing he wouldn't see angels anymore had me tearing up. The ending is so bittersweet as well. These days I feel like people would be having wars over who was best girl: Shia or Misha? Well in this, neither of them "win" lol. Like this is technically a harem because you have the guy surrounded by three girls who like him, but none of them "win", one of them even dies and the other leaves his life forever. And yet the ending is still very satisfying!

It's weird because there's a pretty clear separation in tone between the first four volumes of the manga and the last four. The first four is kind of build-up, you see the foreshadowing but it's mainly just fun hijinks. The second half of the manga is very serious throughout, though Misha does bring some light to all that. The anime opted to take the former form completely, not bothering for any of the serious stuff you see in the manga, which I really didn't like at all and never bothered watching beyond the first episode.

But yeah, this is still one of my favorites, and I still think it's Kobe Donbo's best work. I've got her other work, Kamichama Karin, up next. I liked that manga (especially because I'm a magical girl stan) but not nearly as much as this. Kinda sad Donbo seemed to have dropped doing manga ever since she got married eight years ago. I was such a big fan of hers back in the day.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been taking a break from reading it at the moment since the official releases started coming out, but I still enjoyed what I read past where you are. There is still SoL, just expanded even more now given the new situation, as well as learning more about Legosi's family situation. He still interacts with his classmates, even in his new apartment, just obviously less often now. I'd say to see how you like the new cast and their interactions with Legosi before completely pulling the plug. I personally enjoyed it, but different strokes for different folks.

thanks for the reply! sounds like I shouldn't stop just yet, then. i'll keep going.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love Dr. Stone. Probably my favorite manga in Jump right now aside from One Piece.

so frustrated that there's a break next week lol

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Woooow Viz. A bunch of cancelled series.
I mean, who needs Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21, Kinnikuman, or Kaguya-sama when we can have... Love Rush and Hi-Fi Cluster.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, who needs Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21, Kinnikuman, or Kaguya-sama when we can have... Love Rush and Hi-Fi Cluster.
With YYH and HxH (at least for the latter), the assumption is that they're waiting until HxH comes back, but we'll see.

Slam Dunk, however, will never be available digitally because Inoue himself is against it.

Oct 25, 2017
With YYH and HxH (at least for the latter), the assumption is that they're waiting until HxH comes back, but we'll see.

Slam Dunk, however, will never be available digitally because Inoue himself is against it.

Aw that's a shame about Slam Dunk.

Yeah, hopefully they're just waiting for the hiatus to end to add HxH (and YYH).

Oct 25, 2017
Gueed the gap will be closed

The company also announced that it will accelerate the physical and digital releases of Koyoharu Gotouge's Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba manga. Viz will ship one manga volume a month beginning in May 2020. The company will also release new chapters digitally on its Shonen Jump website every month beginning in December

Seeing this does put a smile on my face

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would Kaguya join SJ+ anyway? BTW how it is with Komi san? Is it available in any form digital or Viz just has physical releases?

Oct 25, 2017
Would Kaguya join SJ+ anyway? BTW how it is with Komi san? Is it available in any form digital or Viz just has physical releases?

Tokyo Ghoul is on the site/app, and Kaguya is in the same magazine.
Komi is from Weekly Shonen Sunday, so sadly it can't join the site/app. Viz does have the rights, but that's because they do Shogakukan books alongside Shueisha ones.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
We Can't Study 136
That rain shadowing Fumino's confession gave me "Onodera's vibes" for Fumino.. I hope to be wrong

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, Pierrot sucked for most of this century so far, with their last truly exceptional anime from beginning to end coming at the very beginning of those years in GTO (and even that has a horrible ending compared to the manga) and they've always produced anime that was very uneven throughout but with great moments here and there.

Boruto is the first thing in years that looks consistently good though it's also a fairly boring premise all around. Tokyo Ghoul is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Shippuden is terrible compared to part 1, especially at the beginning. Black Clover had a horrible start and only sort of fixed itself in the second season with steadier production values.

Pierrot going all in on big fights and making everything else look like crap makes for great gifs but for week in and week out viewing they suck.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a video by Mother's Basement on No Guns Life and now I need to know everything about it. Hook it into my veins fam.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Saki 210

The boring match continues to wank Achiga to hell. At least we got something interesting, like Yuuki liking tacos because her aunt's wife was constantly making them, and also that Toki and Ryuuka have been having sex the entire time after Ryuuka's match, finally actually cementing her yuri pairings after only sneaking around.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seven Deadly Sins 332

I feel like this chapter shows exactly what kind of problem this manga has had for a while: The main characters never seemed like they were in danger. The seven deadly sins are so OP that the Demon King never really stood a chance. What makes this even worse is that Meliodas reveals that he was able to defeat the Demon King without any outside help but did not do it because of reasons. I understand why he did not use his full potentital during the first fight against the DK but he could have used after the DK became one with Britannia. Overall a very underwhelming ending to this absolutely unnecessary final fight.

Why do all the final arcs of the manga I read have to be shit?

SDS is such a huge step down from Kongou Banchou. Read that instead. Kongou is a much better character than Meliodas. I despise perverted main characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.