• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Read a bit of Blissful Land aka Tenju no Kuni. This is really nice. Between this and Bride's Story it turns out I really enjoy these eastern SOL period pieces. Are there any more like this?

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 188-189:
Damn, that encirclement of Hyuse was tense. Luckily he managed to hit his mark and Ikoma was a good get. Anyway here's hoping Chika steps up because the Ninomiya shootout is on her now.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 113

Here we are, Fuutarou made his choice and the bride will be Yotsuba. I would say with a 99% of probability because there is always the possibility that Negi is using her to make a "fake out" attack on the fans, but there are a number of reasons for which I think it isn't the case. I will illustrate these reasons at the end of this message, which will be longer than my usual one, since the imminent ending of a manga I liked deserves it. Given the length, I ask forgiveness for typos and/or mistakes.

First of all, I will give my opinion about Negi's choice to make Yotsuba the bride, independently of her role in the story. Concerning this aspect, I think that Yotsuba is the most reasonable and equilibrate choice to end this manga. Let's just have a look at the previous messages in this topic, from when yesterday the winner has been found out. Many of us were a bit sad because their favourite girls aren't the winner: I supported Nino and Miku, others Ichika, some Itsuki (maybe not here, but for sure she has supporters too). However, almost no one complained about Yotsuba being the bride, at most some said "It is ok", implying she is better than others. The reason is really that, for all of us who preferred other girls over Yotsuba, she was not in the bottom of our ranking. In my case, she was in the 3rd place, for example. I suppose it will be the same for a huge majority of 5toubun's readers. Let us imagine if Nino or Itsuki would have won, I am sure several readers have them in the bottom part of the personal rankings. Nino is my favourite and Ichika the least favourite, for example. I am totally sure there is at least another reader who has them in complete positions in his/her ranking and would have not appreciated one of them being the bride. Instead, Yotsuba is a relatable and nice girl, it is almost impossible to hate her. It is legit not to love her character, but after all what happened in the story...

And about this, let's move now to Yotsuba's role in the story. She is the girl who motivated and changed Fuutarou when he was young, she is the one who supported her sisters without ever thinking about herself, she is the one who kissed Fuutarou without him noticing and she is the one who cried alone trying to leave all her feelings behind. She really understimated herself, to the point that in this chapter she decided to leave her room, because she was sure that Fuutarou would have never chosen her. She was sure he had forgotten her and consequently she has lost her only trump card. Her face, after finding out Fuutarou in the room, speaks for her. In a certain sense, she deserves this ending, an ending where Fuutarou chose the only girl who didn't openly show feeling for him (I am excluding Itsuki because, at this point, I think Negi wants her just to be a close friend to Fuutarou instead of a love partner). Maybe he also thinks he could be rejected since he doesn't know her real feelings, but despite this he is going to confess and it is nice that this means that Yotsuba has become important in his life for the second time (Onodera vibes - I was a Chitoge supporter, by the way). I am honestly, then, looking forward to Yotsuba's reaction after Fuutarou's confession, I am sure it will be one of the best reactions ever. At this point, I would love if she was a bit selfish and decide to accept both her feelings and Fuutarou's confession. Unfortunately, I am quite sure she won't accept it because she doesn't want to hurt her sisters and the last arc of the manga will inolve them so that they will convince her to accept Fuutarou's love. But at the end she will cry a lot, I am sure of this.

Nevertheless, there are still some mysteries. In this chapter, Itsuki seems to be talking to Fuutarou. She also says: "This is just the beginning, Uesugi-kun". What does it mean? In all the scenes, the blackground is white, it is not clear where she is and whom she is with. Mind me, I don't think that Yotsuba isn't the bride, it would be so cruel for her fans. Besides there are two clear pieces of evidence in this chapter:
1) the orange juice: during ichika's side, Fuutarou chose the drink which represent Yotsuba. In that moment, he had already made his mind, as Ichika says in this chapter. Yotsuba is the girl he fell in love to.
2) the rest area: Yotsuba helped to create the rest area where in this chapter a chil can find comfort. When Fuutarou sees it, he smiles. It is another hint towards Yotsuba being the chosen one, even before the final two scenes of the chapter.
Despite this, maybe Fuutarou first went to discuss with Itsuki because he wanted to know the truth about Rena and Yotsuba from Itsuki, who impersonated Rena but isn't Rena.

Now that I have discussed why this ending is good, let me cry with my two favourite girls :(
rrKNpMz.png

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 113

Here we are, Fuutarou made his choice and the bride will be Yotsuba. I would say with a 99% of probability because there is always the possibility that Negi is using her to make a "fake out" attack on the fans, but there are a number of reasons for which I think it isn't the case. I will illustrate these reasons at the end of this message, which will be longer than my usual one, since the imminent ending of a manga I liked deserves it. Given the length, I ask forgiveness for typos and/or mistakes.

First of all, I will give my opinion about Negi's choice to make Yotsuba the bride, independently of her role in the story. Concerning this aspect, I think that Yotsuba is the most reasonable and equilibrate choice to end this manga. Let's just have a look at the previous messages in this topic, from when yesterday the winner has been found out. Many of us were a bit sad because their favourite girls aren't the winner: I supported Nino and Miku, others Ichika, some Itsuki (maybe not here, but for sure she has supporters too). However, almost no one complained about Yotsuba being the bride, at most some said "It is ok", implying she is better than others. The reason is really that, for all of us who preferred other girls over Yotsuba, she was not in the bottom of our ranking. In my case, she was in the 3rd place, for example. I suppose it will be the same for a huge majority of 5toubun's readers. Let us imagine if Nino or Itsuki would have won, I am sure several readers have them in the bottom part of the personal rankings. Nino is my favourite and Ichika the least favourite, for example. I am totally sure there is at least another reader who has them in complete positions in his/her ranking and would have not appreciated one of them being the bride. Instead, Yotsuba is a relatable and nice girl, it is almost impossible to hate her. It is legit not to love her character, but after all what happened in the story...

And about this, let's move now to Yotsuba's role in the story. She is the girl who motivated and changed Fuutarou when he was young, she is the one who supported her sisters without ever thinking about herself, she is the one who kissed Fuutarou without him noticing and she is the one who cried alone trying to leave all her feelings behind. She really understimated herself, to the point that in this chapter she decided to leave her room, because she was sure that Fuutarou would have never chosen her. She was sure he had forgotten her and consequently she has lost her only trump card. Her face, after finding out Fuutarou in the room, speaks for her. In a certain sense, she deserves this ending, an ending where Fuutarou chose the only girl who didn't openly show feeling for him (I am excluding Itsuki because, at this point, I think Negi wants her just to be a close friend to Fuutarou instead of a love partner). Maybe he also thinks he could be rejected since he doesn't know her real feelings, but despite this he is going to confess and it is nice that this means that Yotsuba has become important in his life for the second time (Onodera vibes - I was a Chitoge supporter, by the way). I am honestly, then, looking forward to Yotsuba's reaction after Fuutarou's confession, I am sure it will be one of the best reactions ever. At this point, I would love if she was a bit selfish and decide to accept both her feelings and Fuutarou's confession. Unfortunately, I am quite sure she won't accept it because she doesn't want to hurt her sisters and the last arc of the manga will inolve them so that they will convince her to accept Fuutarou's love. But at the end she will cry a lot, I am sure of this.

Nevertheless, there are still some mysteries. In this chapter, Itsuki seems to be talking to Fuutarou. She also says: "This is just the beginning, Uesugi-kun". What does it mean? In all the scenes, the blackground is white, it is not clear where she is and whom she is with. Mind me, I don't think that Yotsuba isn't the bride, it would be so cruel for her fans. Besides there are two clear pieces of evidence in this chapter:
1) the orange juice: during ichika's side, Fuutarou chose the drink which represent Yotsuba. In that moment, he had already made his mind, as Ichika says in this chapter. Yotsuba is the girl he fell in love to.
2) the rest area: Yotsuba helped to create the rest area where in this chapter a chil can find comfort. When Fuutarou sees it, he smiles. It is another hint towards Yotsuba being the chosen one, even before the final two scenes of the chapter.
Despite this, maybe Fuutarou first went to discuss with Itsuki because he wanted to know the truth about Rena and Yotsuba from Itsuki, who impersonated Rena but isn't Rena.

Now that I have discussed why this ending is good, let me cry with my two favourite girls :(
rrKNpMz.png
Nice read and summary of the events so far.

I also hope this isn't a fake out.

Despite Yotsuba technically being the "first girl", I actually do like how it's handled in this manga despite hating the "first girl wins" trope. She isn't the first girl to appear in the manga, and she isn't revealed to be "first" until at least 80 chapters into the manga.

I'm really freaking happy with this outcome. In terms of people I wanted to be the bride, she was tied with Nino, but she was also my personal favorite Quint personality wise.

Once again, if this is a fake out, I will legit be pissed.

Also fun fact, 5 years ago, the mangaka tweeted out that "Childhood friends are destined to lose". So if Yotsuba actually ends up being the bride, then it's like he created a manga just to subvert that trope.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The happiest Fuutarou was in the series was when he was on the swings with Yotsuba. I don't really think he had a moment like that with the other girls.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Nice read and summary of the events so far.

I also hope this isn't a fake out.

Despite Yotsuba technically being the "first girl", I actually do like how it's handled in this manga despite hating the "first girl wins" trope. She isn't the first girl to appear in the manga, and she isn't revealed to be "first" until at least 80 chapters into the manga.

I'm really freaking happy with this outcome. In terms of people I wanted to be the bride, she was tied with Nino, but she was also my personal favorite Quint personality wise.

Once again, if this is a fake out, I will legit be pissed.

Also fun fact, 5 years ago, the mangaka tweeted out that "Childhood friends are destined to lose". So if Yotsuba actually ends up being the bride, then it's like he created a manga just to subvert that trope.

xM9Zgwr.png

Another reason for which I really think Yotsuba is the final choice is that for all the festival arc I had a strange feeling. On one side it seemed the last arc, on the other side I was sure that there should have been at least another arc. By choosing Yotsuba, we can have the final arc where she must be persuaded by her sisters to accept Fuutarou's choice. If Fuutarou had chosen Nino, Miku or Itsuki, well.. they were just waiting for that decision. I excluse again itsuki because now I think she is the real "fake out" of Negi: she seemed the predestinated bride, even in the last festival chapters, and then.. she is just a friend.

Anyway,if at the end she isn't the winner, I would not appreciate it at this point unless the real bride is Nino or Miku. After the meltdown this chapter created (not here but if you read on reddit, for example), another one would be crazy.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
So is Quintessential Quintuplets ending soon? Is it time to jump in?
I think it will end with Volume 15, in my opinion, so we still have around 18-20 chapters if my current prediction is right. It is anyway a very good harem manga, with almost no filler, so I suggest you to give a try. Another suggestion is to avoid to read the last posts here about Quintessential Quintuplets, you could get spoiled about the end.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will end with Volume 15, in my opinion, so we still have around 18-20 chapters if my current prediction is right. It is anyway a very good harem manga, with almost no filler, so I suggest you to give a try. Another suggestion is to avoid to read the last posts here about Quintessential Quintuplets, you could get spoiled about the end.
Oh...yeah that's too late, I think I already caught the name of who "won" haha (nothing else though). But it's fine, I don't really mind. I just got Vol.1 now, looking forward to slowly going through this.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
[Quintuplets] If the author will follow through on this it might be like the first time my fave actually won. What a time to hope.

Yeah, just basic human comprehension. They all have different voices and hair styles. I would say hair colors as well, but the mangaka confirmed they have the same hair color, they're just colored different in color pages/anime so readers/watchers don't get confused themselves.
I should have specified that I aimed my remarks at the scene where Miku dressed as Itsuki and by extension any similar scenes.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone not reading now knows who the most likely "winner" of 5toubun/Quintuplets is. Sorry for the spoilers, y'all.

Though I think it comes with the territory with this thread. I still remember when all the celebration of Kaguya kissing happened.

So is Quintessential Quintuplets ending soon? Is it time to jump in?
It a surprisingly well written romantic comedy. Each of the girls gets character development throughout, there's a focus on actually progressing the plot (there's been a little over 100 chapters and almost 2 years have passed in-story), and the MC actually has a personality. It's honestly probably my favorite harem romantic comedy ever, and the best one out right now. I might be bias though due to not really liking the genre all that much (ended up only finishing Nisekoi due to the side character romance).

It's not perfect though, there are plenty of moments that will make your eyes roll. Also the amount of ultimatums used to add drama gets old after a while.

[Quintuplets] If the author will follow through on this it might be like the first time my fave actually won. What a time to hope.

I should have specified that I aimed my remarks at the scene where Miku dressed as Itsuki and by extension any similar scenes.
Honestly, considering their blood dad had only seen Itsuki, he had no way of knowing what Miku looked like, so it makes sense why he was confused. Dude was set up from the start, but who cares because he was an ass.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the "it's ok" camp. I know she is the one who makes the most sense, it makes for a better story and all of that, but I find it hard to fully enjoy it since she is close to an archetype I don't really care about =/
But oh well, as long as ...Miku... is happy at the end, I'm happy.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda getting annoyed at the "Hei guyz, what if Negi's baiting us?" that's going around. It feels like 1-3 fans trying to stir shit because they're in denial. It's like Fuutaro and Yotsuba have to be have a hardcore make out scene for some readers to be conviced.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda getting annoyed at the "Hei guyz, what if Negi's baiting us?" that's going around. It feels like 1-3 fans trying to stir shit because they're in denial. It's like Fuutaro and Yotsuba have to be have a hardcore make out scene for some readers to be conviced.
They also must not have a very high opinion of his writing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you're counting me or not, but just in case: in my defense I'm just hoping this isn't too good to be true. I felt Itsuki was going to win for the longest due to various reasons that Negi going with Yotsuba actually threw me for a loop, especially after her 2nd chapter in the Festival arc.

On a side note, if they actually end the manga with Itsuki being completely platonic throughout, then I have some major respect for Negi.

Realistically, I expect her to say no due to insecurities, then we have an arc of the other sisters trying to convince her.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man reading these reactions remind me why I have no patience anymore for these type of stories, I much prefer stories where the main couple is clear from the start and it instead focus on other parts of the relationship instead of "who will win"

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if you're counting me or not, but just in case: in my defense I'm just hoping this isn't too good to be true. I felt Itsuki was going to win for the longest due to various reasons that Negi going with Yotsuba actually threw me for a loop, especially after her 2nd chapter in the Festival arc.

On a side note, if they actually end the manga with Itsuki being completely platonic throughout, then I have some major respect for Negi.

Realistically, I expect her to say no due to insecurities, then we have an arc of the other sisters trying to convince her.

Nah, this thread's been pretty reasonable with their reactions. Honestly, I like Itsuki, and up to this point I was neutral on whether or not she won. I was mainly talking about the Nino/Miku fans.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man reading these reactions remind me why I have no patience anymore for these type of stories, I much prefer stories where the main couple is clear from the start and it instead focus on other parts of the relationship instead of "who will win"
That's fair, though I would say that with most harem series, it's pretty freaking obvious who is going to win. Like Nisekoi for example. I legit don't understand how someone didn't see Chitoge winning from a mile away. The series was named after her and the MC's relationship.

5Toubun is one of the series where the supposed winner wasn't immediately discernible from the first couple of chapters. Some people thought they knew due to meta/parallels/theories/etc, but then got bamboozled. Hence the major reactions/outrage from certain groups.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017

Quints is ending with Volume 14, so there wont be a bait and switch this time. Its over for real.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Quints is ending with Volume 14, so there wont be a bait and switch this time. Its over for real.

I can always respect an author ending a series when it's the right time, instead of dragging it out because of popularity. Toubun is at peak saturation right now with the character books incoming, so he had all the incentive in the world to keep it going a while longer.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, though I would say that with most harem series, it's pretty freaking obvious who is going to win. Like Nisekoi for example. I legit don't understand how someone didn't see Chitoge winning from a mile away. The series was named after her and the MC's relationship.

5Toubun is one of the series where the supposed winner wasn't immediately discernible from the first couple of chapters. Some people thought they knew due to meta/parallels/theories/etc, but then got bamboozled. Hence the major reactions/outrage from certain groups.
Like I said my problem is what the story is about, in fact it angers me a lot that most of these series just end after the main couple gets together. I just prefer romcoms that actually dive deeper in the relationship

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if the more recent Kindaichi series live up to the earlier ones? Specifically asking about the 20th Anniversary, Return R, and Kindaichi 37 stuff.

I picked up the bunkos for the series a while back, which seem to include all the stuff before those. And I finally got around to starting them (still have a real big chunk left to read, as I'm only on the 7th case out of 34, plus the short story and spinoff volumes)... and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, actually. So yeah, wondering how well that later stuff is and if it's worth pursuing, or if I'm good just ending with what I've got.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Like I said my problem is what the story is about, in fact it angers me a lot that most of these series just end after the main couple gets together. I just prefer romcoms that actually dive deeper in the relationship

TBF I think Toubun kind of avoids going to deep into the chase. I'd likened it to "How I Met Your Mother" rather than a standard romcom; there's obviously the overhanging question of who gets together with the MC which doesn't happen until the very end, but much of the series is focused on the development of the MC, the Quint family, and the evolution of that relationship, instead of comedy hijinks. The back-end of the series have almost entirely been exclusively focused on the family unit instead of the MC's "chase", which is quite atypical for a manga romcom.

Edit: Of course I get you're talking about a different kind of thing entirely, the progression of a romantic relationship (aka Kaguya right now).

Last edited:

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if the more recent Kindaichi series live up to the earlier ones? Specifically asking about the 20th Anniversary, Return R, and Kindaichi 37 stuff.

I picked up the bunkos for the series a while back, which seem to include all the stuff before those. And I finally got around to starting them (still have a real big chunk left to read, as I'm only on the 7th case out of 34, plus the short story and spinoff volumes)... and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, actually. So yeah, wondering how well that later stuff is and if it's worth pursuing, or if I'm good just ending with what I've got.
If you enjoy what you're reading now then the rest of the different main series are more of the same so I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy them as well. I've been enjoying Kindaichi 37 a lot, mostly because they finally let the characters age up lol. It's a little more adult then normal teenage Kindaichi as well. Though that's mostly because it's been including some more sexual motives for murder like an affair and revenge porn ones.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Oh this is one volume less than I thought, so we only have around 10 chapters left. I don't know if they are enough for explaining what happened in the chapter 113, Fuutarou's confession, final arc after a possible Yotsuba's rejection and wedding. At this point it is more likely that Yotsuba will accept the confession, otherwise the ending could feel rushed in comparison with the festival arc pace.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I mean technically, it's not like that much actually happened cause, they haven't even broached the subject yet and there's some weird fuckery with the rooms going on. At this point we're all reacting to the significance of them being in the same room which granted given what the whole chapter was about is super important and reactions of other quints. There's a room for a curve ball still though I don't see it coming.

Toubun 113

I wasn't following this arc very regularly but honestly it came off to me as boring asf. Maybe because it's so centered on the final question but Nino&Miku are just zzzz charas at this point I don't think anyone else brought in anything particularly interesting. There're also these overt harem overtones that I'm finding a bit bizarre if not disturbing - "We, the haremites behind curtain nr 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 shall await your pick and judgement." And I still don't get why Itsuki or even Yotsuba were officially there when their interest is (afaik) nonexistent or nonofficial.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It a surprisingly well written romantic comedy. Each of the girls gets character development throughout, there's a focus on actually progressing the plot (there's been a little over 100 chapters and almost 2 years have passed in-story), and the MC actually has a personality. It's honestly probably my favorite harem romantic comedy ever, and the best one out right now. I might be bias though due to not really liking the genre all that much (ended up only finishing Nisekoi due to the side character romance).

It's not perfect though, there are plenty of moments that will make your eyes roll. Also the amount of ultimatums used to add drama gets old after a while.

I read Vol. 1 and enjoyed it a lot. It's very fun.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TBF I think Toubun kind of avoids going to deep into the chase. I'd likened it to "How I Met Your Mother" rather than a standard romcom; there's obviously the overhanging question of who gets together with the MC which doesn't happen until the very end, but much of the series is focused on the development of the MC, the Quint family, and the evolution of that relationship, instead of comedy hijinks. The back-end of the series have almost entirely been exclusively focused on the family unit instead of the MC's "chase", which is quite atypical for a manga romcom.

Edit: Of course I get you're talking about a different kind of thing entirely, the progression of a romantic relationship (aka Kaguya right now).
Kaguya, and wotakoi, were exactly what i had in mind
You only need one chapter to pull off a bait and switch.
Talking about HIMYM it gave us the biggest example of this.

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Exorcist 116 Part 2

Half done artwork, will wait for the final version in the published book I guess, maybe it will be expanded.

But good direction.

Seraph of the End 85
EK-GbXWWkAAn9D4

Best boys
are reunited again.

History continues to be compelling, still cant believe we Yu's are just clones. I wonder what happened to original Yu.

And Mika is timeless, wonder if he is also cloned.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 188-189
I enjoyed the way the Hyuse encirclement evolved into a stand off between teams for who could come out of it the best.

Pretty rough how they had Ikoma hit the pavement after the air whirlwind.

Hyuse looking like a legend even with the early exit. Coming down to the original trio!

To Your Eternity 116
Nice of The Irishman and this chapter to give me the existential dread one-two punch this week.

I didn't fully put together what the end of the last chapter meant, and wow that is dark/sad :(

Can't say Kahaku's storyline fully came together for me but I still found his character fairly interesting. Maybe I will be better able to track his arc on a reread without the half chapters/off weeks breaking things up.

Will be fascinated to see where the series goes with this development/next part given that I'm not sure to what extent the protagonist is even a character or how they will factor in. Guess the overarching external conflict up to this point will be gone too, so that is a big change.

Next chapter not until end of January and that is one massive cliffhanger/jump to leave on.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
In the one shot they forced the feminine looking boy to change gender so they can repopulate the human race, it looks like like they're going to keep the forced transition element and be a problematic version of Dr.Stones
Did the mangaka accidentally submit their hentai doujin to Shueisha?

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
In the one shot they forced the feminine looking boy to change gender so they can repopulate the human race, it looks like like they're going to keep the forced transition element to be a problematic version of Dr.Stones

LOLWUT? I thought it would be something like they'd have to grow up fast from that tagline... yeesh that sounds terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.