• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
r1.png

There was never any hope, he was in since moment 0

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
There is also this other scene, where Yotsuba is thinking about a sports medal.
1nrm2zk2z3x21.jpg

Readers instinctively are lead to think that this scene is hilarious and that Yotsuba is really naive, but... maybe it is another hidden hint about Yotsuba being the bride (the medal has the number 1). I doubt all these hints are accidental, including the fact that Yotsuba uses the ring finger in the corresponding volume cover. Probably Negi wanted to make the childhood friend the bride from the beginning and disseminate dhints which only now really make sense.

Another hint is made by the two following images, the first of the chapter where classmates start to think Yotsuba and Fuutarou are dating and the second of the last campfire arc chapter. The words are basically the same. It would be interesting to know if they are the same also in Japanese.

nbwk2ui7xog21.jpg
I always just go back to the date chapter where the other girls were broken down into food, pampering, shopping, and movies which Fuutarou didn't really enjoy while playing on the swings with Yotsuba was presented as him actually having a good time. None of the other girls ever presented themselves as someone Fuutarou would enjoy spending time with after that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 114

vwGKgst.gif

Never thought I'd read a harem series where my favorite character would actually ended up "winning".

Reading back, the clues were always there, but Itsuki being a red herring kept throwing a wrench in the whole thing for me. She was the only one to support him completely from minute one, even in ways he didn't know or care about at the time, like making him Class Rep which led to him hanging out with his classmates outside of school for the first time of his own accord. So the people saying elsewhere that this came out of nowhere are probably just still in denial.

What a great confession and great chapter in general.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
5toubun 114

vwGKgst.gif

Never thought I'd read a harem series where my favorite character would actually ended up "winning".

Reading back, the clues were always there, but Itsuki being a red herring kept throwing a wrench in the whole thing for me. She was the only one to support him completely from minute one, even in ways he didn't know or care about at the time, like making him Class Rep which led to him hanging out with his classmates outside of school for the first time of his own accord. So the people saying elsewhere that this came out of nowhere are probably just still in denial.

What a great confession and great chapter in general.
Ichigo 100% (first harem manga I've read) had my favorite character win. It's been all down hill from there lol

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit worried for Negi's safety though. Miku is the most popular and he straight up negated one of her wins here to kick her fans while they were down.
That's kinda been the theme for a while now.

Nino to Miku: "You were the first one to fall in love with him."

NOPE

Nino: "No one loves him more than me."

BIG NOPE

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Ichigo 100% (first harem manga I've read) had my favorite character win. It's been all down hill from there lol

Ichigo 100% has been my first harem manga too. Unfortunately I read it in a period (high shool) where I read less manga and played less games (you know, the classic period where no one shares your hobby and you try to get other hobbies too), so even though I liked it, it didn't make me continue with this genre which now I quite appreciate. Besides, my favourite one lost - I am also sure that now I have different preferences in terms of character's personality, so if I read this manga today (I should re-read it honestly), I would have preferred the winner too, maybe.

Instead my only favourite girl being a winner has been in Nisekoi - I may be biased, but I really liked that manga, filler (not all, of course) included, it is also the manga which made me read other harem ones.

And then I am sure my favourite one in We Can't Study (Fumino) is goona lose too, because 2020 will be the year of the childhood friends' revenge.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ichigo 100% has been my first harem manga too. Unfortunately I read it in a period (high shool) where I read less manga and played less games (you know, the classic period where no one shares your hobby and you try to get other hobbies too), so even though I liked it, it didn't make me continue with this genre which now I quite appreciate. Besides, my favourite one lost - I am also sure that now I have different preferences in terms of character's personality, so if I read this manga today (I should re-read it honestly), I would have preferred the winner too, maybe.

Instead my only favourite girl being a winner has been in Nisekoi - I may be biased, but I really liked that manga, filler (not all, of course) included, it is also the manga which made me read other harem ones.

And then I am sure my favourite one in We Can't Study (Fumino) is goona lose too, because 2020 will be the year of the childhood friends' revenge.
I didn't have a favorite for Nisekoi so I didn't really care too much about it. I do have the same opinion as yours for We Can't Study though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly never read it. Maybe I should change it.

I haven't read in a while, but I felt Fumino was the obvious choice there. Unless something changed. My favorite was the senpai character, but there was zero chance of anything happening with her the moment she showed up.

As for Nisekoi, I didn't really care for any of the girls in the harem. Disliked or was neutral to each one for different reasons. I did like the whole Ruri and Shuu dynamic, so I walked away pretty satisfied.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Nisekoi was that it was only a harem series to extend it's runtime for money. The Crux of the story was always a pseudo Romeo and Juliet love story focusing on Raku and Chitoge. The original one shot didn't have any girl other than Chitoge.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I always just go back to the date chapter where the other girls were broken down into food, pampering, shopping, and movies which Fuutarou didn't really enjoy while playing on the swings with Yotsuba was presented as him actually having a good time. None of the other girls ever presented themselves as someone Fuutarou would enjoy spending time with after that.

The series is very logical which is why its so different from other harem mangas. Its also why its so hard to predict.

Yotsuba is the easy choice if this was real life. She was nice to him from the start, supported him from the start, a nice person, he enjoys his time with her, ect.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I haven't read in a while, but I felt Fumino was the obvious choice there. Unless something changed. My favorite was the senpai character, but there was zero chance of anything happening with her the moment she showed up.
There are moments where I think the main character could have feelings for Uruka. Then, the fact that she is going to leave Japan can be perfectly exploited for a timeskip after their mutual confession to the wedding (in a certain sense, similar to Nisekoi).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll pick up Quints again considering my fave won. What is this...feeling

I'm so glad I dropped Nisekoi mid way. Just reading about how it all ended made me glad I didnt invest any more time on that.

I will never get over that ending even like 10 years later. I hated it so much lmao. This is the first time my fave ever won in a harem.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are moments where I think the main character could have feelings for Uruka. Then, the fact that she is going to leave Japan can be perfectly exploited for a timeskip after their mutual confession to the wedding (in a certain sense, similar to Nisekoi).
In a surprise twist, Fumino's dad marries Yuiga's mom, eliminating her from the race.

Eh, who am I kidding, it's anime/manga. Them being step siblings would probably be in her favor.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Go-Toubun no Hanayome Chapter 114

It happened. Nail in the coffin. Tied for best confession along with Kaguya-sama.

giphy.gif

Now all we need to do is get these kids married.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Got a bunch of the larger, hardcover collections of some manga series I havent read before on Black Friday. Like the Full Metal editions for FMA, the Knights of Sidonia Master Editions, and some of the Gundam Origin HCs. Then I also saw this newer book called Levius that had a really cool HC. Anyone read this yet? Looks like its getting a movie on Netflix from the people who did Sidonia and BLAME!

It looks like a really cool setting. Like a futuristic Victorian England.

Theres also a sequel series thats coming out now called Levius/est.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Got a bunch of the larger, hardcover collections of some manga series I havent read before on Black Friday. Like the Full Metal editions for FMA, the Knights of Sidonia Master Editions, and some of the Gundam Origin HCs. Then I also saw this newer book called Levius that had a really cool HC. Anyone read this yet? Looks like its getting a movie on Netflix from the people who did Sidonia and BLAME!

It looks like a really cool setting. Like a futuristic Victorian England.

Theres also a sequel series thats coming out now called Levius/est.
Yup. Megalo Boxing before Megalo Boxing.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
5Toubun 114

Aside from when Ichika was playing dirty a while ago I feel like I actually like each of the quints enough to be happy whoever wins. Yotsuba has always been shown as a bit too kind and supportive so it's nice to see her rewarded in the end.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Agravity Boys 1

I've read worse, but I admittedly have very low standards when it comes to reading manga. I'm willing to see where it goes.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Making my way through the rest of the 3-gatsu manga. Whew. Thought some were playing up how badly a third season needs to happen, but: it needs to happen.

Also, Daisuke Namikawa has to voice this character if a S3 works out.
t30qWMJ.png

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye, my Mini-skirt 01
2815-op921415.jpg

This is kind of my fault for not reading the description, but I read the title and saw the cover of this, and assumed it was going to be a LGBT manga, but it isn't- it's about a girl who got assaulted by a pervert on the way home from school, and starts wearing pants instead of a miniskirt. This seems good, but not really what I was looking for, so I'll probably drop, but some of you might like it?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Goodbye, my Mini-skirt 01
2815-op921415.jpg

This is kind of my fault for not reading the description, but I read the title and saw the cover of this, and assumed it was going to be a LGBT manga, but it isn't- it's about a girl who got assaulted by a pervert on the way home from school, and starts wearing pants instead of a miniskirt. This seems good, but not really what I was looking for, so I'll probably drop, but some of you might like it?
Interesting. And good timing since it ranked first here for female readers:

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on Silver Spoon since I stopped a while back.

Hachiken and Mikage made it official so I'm happy.

Oct 25, 2017
This week's Jump TOC has dropped.

My Hero Academia (Cover & Lead Color)
My Hero Academia: Rising (Special One-Shot)

One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Haikyuu
Dr. Stone (Color)
Agravity Boys (Color)

Chainsaw Man
The Promised Neverland
Kochikame (Special One-Shot)
Zipman
Kiraboshi no Meril (One-Shot)
Miitama Security
Act-Age
We Never Learn
Black Clover
Jujutsu Kaisen
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Mission: Yozakura Family
Samurai 8
Dr. Stone Reboot Byakuya

The big Dr. Stone announcement is Season 2 of the anime.

I guess people aren't liking Yozakura Family. That's a shame...
Kind of surprised at Black Clover in the bottom 5.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad END
ELSn0wZWoAAL1I3

Worth it. Will definitely go on my list of favorite jump Manga. Jin and En will be canon in my hearts, also how he clearly taugh him his electricity.

Bring more guys from thailand in jump please.
wow i had no idea tokyo shinobi squad already ended
man this series had so much fucking potential in the 1st chapter, but everything afterwards is just so mediocre i haven't read it for the last 20 or so chapters
do we know what's replacing it on jump?

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
wow i had no idea tokyo shinobi squad already ended
man this series had so much fucking potential in the 1st chapter, but everything afterwards is just so mediocre i haven't read it for the last 20 or so chapters
do we know what's replacing it on jump?
The newest manga that came out are Zipman!! and Agravity Boys.
Zipman!! is an action manga so you could try that if you want a TSS replacement.
Agravity Boys is... not.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Silver spoon
It finally ended
Decent ending I guess, would've liked if the series went on but I understand Arakawa sensei had a tough time taking care of her family

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This week's Jump TOC has dropped.

My Hero Academia (Cover & Lead Color)
My Hero Academia: Rising (Special One-Shot)

One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Haikyuu
Dr. Stone (Color)
Agravity Boys (Color)

Chainsaw Man
The Promised Neverland
Kochikame (Special One-Shot)
Zipman
Kiraboshi no Meril (One-Shot)
Miitama Security
Act-Age
We Never Learn
Black Clover
Jujutsu Kaisen
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Mission: Yozakura Family
Samurai 8
Dr. Stone Reboot Byakuya

The big Dr. Stone announcement is Season 2 of the anime.

I guess people aren't liking Yozakura Family. That's a shame...
Kind of surprised at Black Clover in the bottom 5.
when is Samurai 8 going to get cancelled

it is forever at the bottom

maybe they might keep it because it is Kishi's work but idk about that either

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
when is Samurai 8 going to get cancelled

it is forever at the bottom

maybe they might keep it because it is Kishi's work but idk about that either
I thought it would have been exempt from cancellation at least for 10 volumes, but since it is now in the real bottom of the ToC I think it could be the next manga to get cancelled, when a new series will have to start.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would have been exempt from cancellation at least for 10 volumes, but since it is now in the real bottom of the ToC I think it could be the next manga to get cancelled, when a new series will have to start.
yeah I can see that

shame the series became so exposition heavy but in a wrong way
world building were they talk a lot about the world via text but never actually show it... even though it is suppose to be a world way bigger then OP's world you feel constrained and smaller

plus other poor handling of stuff and the random pacing issues were it rushes one second but slows down on other things makes the series really mishandled

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad END
ELSn0wZWoAAL1I3

Worth it. Will definitely go on my list of favorite jump Manga. Jin and En will be canon in my hearts, also how he clearly taugh him his electricity.

Bring more guys from thailand in jump please.

I liked Tokyo Shinobi Squad a lot. It's the kind of setting and characters that really appeal to me. But I stopped reading it about 3 months ago when people said it was going to get the axe. Just felt like...why invest if they didn't care? :/

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Having no time sucks. Manga keep piling up and I wasn't able to read most them yet. But I'm on holiday now and so I'm going to catch up on them. Of the few I already read, I didn't review them so here it goes:

Made in Abyss Vol. 8 (ch. 48-51)

mia_wazukyan4ik4m.jpg

The last stop before a very long wait, but I'm still fixated on the idea that manga like this are meant to be read by volume, not by chapter. Spoiler prone approach though, and I'm weak... There's a flashback side story in this entire volume (complete, unlike if you read by chapter, hehe) and I usually don't like flashbacks; One Piece, that's mainly because of you. That is, unless it is as good as this one, a gritty tale about the establishment of "the village" that would make Jack London shiver. Some great characters here, the expedition leader is amazing. So confident and yet so desperate. Unlike the main story, this is viewed from an adult's perspective, showing a glimpse of how different it would be if it took the same route, such as traveling with a larger group. Now to wait for the next volume, will take probably a year or more. I never had problems with waiting for MiA, though, that stuff just continues to linger in my heart. I'm currently rereading from the start and taking my time with it. Those first chapters were so incredibly dense with information.

Sacrifice to the King of Beasts Vol. 6 (ch. 30-35)
Stays cute, but episodic with formulaic progress. After saving the king from being discovered in his human form, Saliphie proceeds in taking challenges to prove she'll be a good queen. She's some sort of vice queen now with specific responsibilities, but the situation is roughly the same. This time there's a ceremony to give a blessing to a newborn prince of a neighboring country, but a bratty princess makes trouble. Yeah, it will stay that way for a while.

Dr. Stone Vol. 2 (ch. 8-16)
Didn't take off for me, yet. That tactic to get away from Tsukasa was pretty risky, lol. Flashback, OK. I'm interested how the situation will change with the new characters on the map.

Cells at Work! Vol. 3 (ch. 10-14)
So looks like the stories are primarily about the immune system battling diseases with the functions of the other cells being explained according to the case involved. From the start I was surprised that the manga was handing out a spate of medical terms like its nothing. That's pretty OK though, at least in manga form. The realistic art-style clashes with the goofy antics of the cells which is funny in a very special way. I've got two more volumes of this one, perhaps I will learn something (or not as usual).

Delicious in Dungeon aka Dungeon Meshi Vol. 1 (ch. 1-8)

dungeon_meshidlkhs.jpg

One of the titles that catched my interest before due to talk on the internet. It is nice and dense despite being basically a simple D&D campaign with a single objective up to this point, which is rescuing party leader Laios's sister before she is digested by a dragon. Feels pretty similar to Goblin Slayer in this regard. The characters are basic but likeable except the cooking dwarf, who is ironically a clean slate (yet) despite being the central character to the main theme of the story. The episodes themselves were fun, but still episodes.

Don't think that I'll endure those longer posts much longer mostly because of time constraints, but who reads them anyway. :-) But I wanted to get that initial load off my chest.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I can see that

shame the series became so exposition heavy but in a wrong way
world building were they talk a lot about the world via text but never actually show it... even though it is suppose to be a world way bigger then OP's world you feel constrained and smaller

plus other poor handling of stuff and the random pacing issues were it rushes one second but slows down on other things makes the series really mishandled
It's also really inefficient in its world building where despite a lot of text devoted to explaining certain concepts it still isn't clear what they actually are or how they work

reminds me of something one of the hosts of the Weekly manga recap podcast said where Kishimoto doesn't really have a good grasp of where his strengths as a storyteller lie

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Hanebado 1-78

I read through all of this today, there's still one chapter left but gotta wait for it to be translated. I enjoyed it quite a bit but the pacing once it hit the nationals wasn't great. The big final match between Connie and Ayako that the entire series was essentially building towards was shorter then every other big match in the series lmao. I think if the second half of the series was better paced this would have been an easy 9/10 series but as it is it's probably only a 7

Also it's hilarious to me how the anime made the Mum out to be some kind of villain when she was actually just incredibly insecure about herself and ran away from her daughters because she didn't know how to be a normal parent.
So I take it the general quality of writing is better ? Is Savage Ayano still in there or has that been excised as well ?

Black Clover

I don't think I managed to finish last two or 3 chapters. I think I'm finally ... free ?

Quintuplets

Yay, best girl won. Though frankly, this is a pretty underwhelming finale. Beyond my earlier qualms, I feel the making of Yots into this "secret" contender added on top of Futarou being an enigma to keep the bride mystery on going ended up making this pairing, I dunno undercooked ? Simplistic ? Going by chapter count, they're over all the hurdles in the first chapter of their relationship. Futs way up till this point was hidden away from the reader and Yots was in denial mode till halfway through this chapter.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
So I take it the general quality of writing is better ? Is Savage Ayano still in there or has that been excised as well ?
Savage Ayano is still in it. I don't know if I'd call the writing quality significantly better, especially towards the end when it kind of introduces some plot points just for the sake of drama, but I enjoyed the manga more then the anime.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kingdom Ch. 625
Half the pages are just shots of everyone reacting to the fight and I'm all for it because Shin is badass. The last page is pretty great too.

cofgqrb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.