• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Agravity Boys is getting extra pages in Issue 11 due to popularity.........WTF

They sacked the gender change hook and instead made it more about the four guys getting into various goofy scenarios (like them trying to name the planet they're on and the dude Chris who's usually reliable being super terrible at naming things, but they don't want to tell him he sucks at it) or the alien dude who initially tried to have one of them change gender offering them other fancy technology to mess with them, like a "devil on the shoulder" thing.

It still has some questionable "humor" at times but it's not as outright terrible as it was going to be originally.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "changing gender" thing stopped after the first chapter, or at least that's what I've picked up from reactions.

Fangirls be like
giphy.gif

But seriously, I'm glad they shoot down with those "controversial" rumor about it and back to its friendly pace.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
how much is a manga volume in your countries?

It's averaging around $20-$25AUD for a volume nowadays. I think it used to be $12-15 back in the Tokyopop days but I've heard that was actually super unsustainable and a major reason why Borders closed.

Even the JPN imports are around $14 AUD.

I think even new manga in Tokyo was around 600-700y, not to mention the Book-Offs and such that totally made physical super affordable. Obviously the mass audience in English isn't there to the same extent, but it's still a little annoying at how much more it is...

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017

It's averaging around $20-$25AUD for a volume nowadays. I think it used to be $12-15 back in the Tokyopop days but I've heard that was actually super unsustainable and a major reason why Borders closed.

Even the JPN imports are around $14 AUD.

I think even new manga in Tokyo was around 600-700y, not to mention the Book-Offs and such that totally made physical super affordable. Obviously the mass audience in English isn't there to the same extent, but it's still a little annoying at how much more it is...

Rupiah 25.000
So around US$2

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Digital manga is pretty cheap yeah in the states, ranging from $6 to $11 (the latter price is what I mainly see for new releases)

Physical manga though I usually see at $11 or more + tax.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In Italy, each physical volume costs from 4€ to 6€ depending on the publisher. Overall, the process haven't increases so much during the years, I remember that when I was in middle school (so around 12-13 years ago) and was getting Naruto as my first manga, it was already costing 3.50€.
Moreover, if you buy from Amazon.it, you get them a bit less than 1€ per volume (e.g. 3,65€). It is perfect when I decide to buy a complete series. Overall, I feel that here manga aren't so expensive.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Chapter 629

This arc just keeps getting worse and worse, another bullshit happening to add to the many this arc has already.
The dip in quality at this point is just undeniable, it a shame because i used to be excited to read this but now...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The Cuckoo's Fiance 1
There are some interesting parts in this new series, I think the most weak ones are the last pages which feel disconnected from all the previous ones, I hadn't read the oneshot, so after reading this chapter I had a look and I found out that those pages were introduced in the serialization. They were clearly added to immediately present the love interest of the main character, but I think they could have added in the second chapter without any problem.
There are many points in common with Nisekoi, starting from the blonde girl who seems already destinated to be the final girl. There is also a moment where the author jokes about it, making the main character asking the blonde girl if she belongs to a Yazuka family.
To sum up, I think we have the potential replacement of 5toubun (if it doesn't fail).

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Cuckoo's Fiance 1

TeamNotOnodera. She will win right ?

This is generic and not funny at all. I don't even get how the main girl's alarm clocks didn't burst in cacophony of red lights when mc-kun mentioned he was switched at birth. Are we supposed to believe she didn't know of the fact that she shared the exactly same situation until she came into restaurant ? Or that the guy she was to marry was switched with her ? This is what the main "twist" of this chapter relies on and I've had to recheck it thrice because I couldn't believe this could be so absurdly incompetent already.

Quintuplets 119

Thank almighty they've kind of put away this proposal thing.

Kimetsu no Yaiba

This surely must be in the running for the most inane shounen final fight.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kengan Omega 48
Welp, Koga is about to get his shit stomped again, poor kid. We just spent time hyping up his growth too lol

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Solte the Traveler 1
That sure escalated quickly. From what I've read, Mizukami chapters 1 always hook me in and this was no different. Framing device made it seem like it may be less high concept than last works, but by end I'm not so sure. Some of the developments in the middle move quick but I can see why.

Wonder if Planet With manga is close to wrapping up then. Been waiting for it to finish before going through that version.
Apparently Agravity Boys is getting extra pages in Issue 11 due to popularity.........WTF
I wonder if it's because chapter 4 actually prompted a lot of mail to shueisha haha (probably too quick of a turnaround to be that though)
Kingdom 629

Don't you dare
I certainly don't want it to go down like this....

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
kingdom 629
pretty obvious with the direction this is going, already predicted this few chapters ago
still gonna be sad

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom right now is a clear case where the writer written himself into a corner, no matter what happens either option is gonna be shit. The worse part is that all this could have easily been avoidable.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Beastars 162

Melon is literally furry Joker and I have no idea how this dude got away with like half the shit he's done in his life

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
We Never Learn 145
I see a dualism with The Quintessential Quintuplets about how the childhood friend wins. In 5toubun Yotsuba is chosen by Fuutarou for whom she is now, not because the was the girl who changed his life since he doesn't remember yet. Instead, in WNL Yuiga has feelings for Uruka because she saved and changed his life in the past. I prefer what has been done in 5toubun honestly, but this 2020 will really be the revenge of childhood friends in harem manga.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Agravity Boys now.
It's stupid, but it's not hentai dumb like the 1st chapter.

I'm glad that it's popular.

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys 7

Fantastic mystery chapter, also love that its hitting all the sci-fi new planet type of plots well as well as all of the other character interactions. They go so well.

Love Chris's way to wake up Saga. Also just what type of underwear does Baba wear.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Mieruko-Chan Chapter 28

Holy shit, the story with the teacher has been an ongoing one and it's finally coming to a head.

My New Wife Is Forcing Herself To Smile 1- Current

Poor guy, he does not know of the thirst that awaits him.

Oct 25, 2017
MHA 259

The raid has begun!

S72gL6D.jpg

I see you, Chainsawman.

One Piece 970

So, there was someone else "mole" in the group and I didn't expect it was ninja girl. It must be some reason behind that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MHA Yeah this seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Chainsaw Man I knew I was going to like this violence guy.

Dr. Stone This is a pretty hype end. I was not that into this arc but it's really sold me by the end here. [/b]

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Guardian of the Witch #1: First page felt very Attack on Titan to me, though obviously it's just an homage - the rest of the story seems fairly different. The plot is... going to be fairly hard to handle. Character stuff is all well and good, but the pitch is heavy. Not going to be easy to square that circle going forward.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Guardian of the Witch 1
Decent first chapter, very interested in seeing where this is going.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3B0yIL0.jpg

From Now On We Begin Ethics

Started reading this and I am absolutely loving it. If you have read Great Teacher Onizuka this is the same vibe and basically damn exact premise but with a focus on ethics/philosophy. The main difference being that while there are adult topics, it avoid the ecchi/perverted humor aspect of GTO which for many may have been a turn off from that series.

Plus the teacher keeps posing like Jojo and I can't NOT think about it lmaao
mhOZK3B.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Mashle Magic and Muscles 2

I guess in some ways its predictable while in other ways Im like how did he do it (making the rock float). Like the walking on water and the scaring the words into stopping their movement made sense.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 35-36
Kishi tripling down on long stretches of exposition and making the world a video game! At least more interesting to read than the last couple months where the bizarre structure of the arc hurt my interest.

So in the 35 we have a fireside chat with the creator of the universe (who is from a different universe or something) and things get philosophical. There is a nice message buried in here, but you might miss it between the 30 variations of "from a certain view you already know the answer" and general intentional vagueness.

36 we get the introduction of skill trees. I'm pretty 95% of the time cases introducing specific stats like this is a bad idea for a battle shonen but here we are. It is already worth it for all of the 0 charisma jokes though. And the fact that the world has essentially become a video game (where video games exist and are developed to train potential samurai lol) makes Hachimura winning the battle Royale because he is an elite gamer less awful (but still hilarious).

Also a girl is going to become a samurai and presumably become an important part of the story so hooray for one silly constraint of the series being broken (if it happens). I know the woman from page 1 of the series is also a samurai but they aren't really around.

Act Age 99
Glad the DQ isn't going to stick (thank goodness for the power of money and corporate interests for once!) and that we still get a substantial Chiyoko/Araya performance. Even if it comes at the cost of the world seeing this particular performance

Hanako hopefully not fully redeemed just like that but I will wait and see where it goes from here. Really like the paneling for their confrontations at the end of the show.

JJK 93
The explanation of the Gojo family is gold. I like how this scenario is set up. Usually villains are the weak link for me in battle shonen but I enjoy the banter between the ones in this series a lot.

Guardian of the Witch 1
Probably my favorite chapter 1 of the recent non comedy series. Solid premise. Will keep with it for now.

Mitama 22
Please let Salmon join the reoccurring cast. I need all the fish puns.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Ninja girl's reaction in the panel with Oden is telling.

Or maybe I read the different translation.

She defected to his side, because she's loyal to the Kozukis, and also knows the truth of why Oden didn't do anything.

And Oden told her to go away and pretended not to know her at the end because he didn't want her, who just joined his side, to be implicated along with him and his retainers.

Oct 25, 2017
Guardian of the Witch 1

Lame start. Would have rather it been protect the wizard instead of another pretty boy sworn to protect a helpless femchar.

Also I struggle to see the long term goal of this, killing all the witches doesnt really help the Evils problem...it would have to go the full shingeki route and make the evils manmade creations.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Guardian of the Witch 1
pretty decent first issue, I hope it sticks although I think it would have been better if they held with the whole "turn her back to human" angle, have the MC get close to her with the idea that he needs to kill later on always on the back his head, it would have lead to a more interesting dynamic and you could have then have him decide to save her and it feel more earned

Oct 25, 2017
She defected to his side, because she's loyal to the Kozukis, and also knows the truth of why Oden didn't do anything.

And Oden told her to go away and pretended not to know her at the end because he didn't want her, who just joined his side, to be implicated along with him and his retainers.

Ok, that makes sense about her.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Mieruko-Chan: The Girl That Sees "Them" 21

interesting. Could it be that it was the spirit of the mother who is actually killing cats instead of him? Somehow I feel it is more complicated than that.

I wish I can freeze myself for a while so I can binge the rest of the chapters.

Oct 28, 2017
Kengan Omega 48
Welp, Koga is about to get his shit stomped again, poor kid. We just spent time hyping up his growth too lol

I've no idea who is gonna come save him. Can't be Gaoh since that's probably going to result in someone being killed, and its a bit early for that. Will the baddie just walk this off and leave him be? I love this manga so much.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We Never Learn 145
I see a dualism with The Quintessential Quintuplets about how the childhood friend wins. In 5toubun Yotsuba is chosen by Fuutarou for whom she is now, not because the was the girl who changed his life since he doesn't remember yet. Instead, in WNL Yuiga has feelings for Uruka because she saved and changed his life in the past. I prefer what has been done in 5toubun honestly, but this 2020 will really be the revenge of childhood friends in harem manga.

I'm happy that Uruka is gonna win because she's best girl and mangaka never let best girls win.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Getting caught up on my non-SJ series, somebody else please tell me you're reading Birdmen, because this shit is good. It's refreshing to read a series with a global pitch that actually delivers on that, and the world feels huge and intriguing. Great characters and art, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.