• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Getting caught up on my non-SJ series, somebody else please tell me you're reading Birdmen, because this shit is good. It's refreshing to read a series with a global pitch that actually delivers on that, and the world feels huge and intriguing. Great characters and art, too.
Only heard of it (and that it's ending this week).

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
We Never Learn 145
I see a dualism with The Quintessential Quintuplets about how the childhood friend wins. In 5toubun Yotsuba is chosen by Fuutarou for whom she is now, not because the was the girl who changed his life since he doesn't remember yet. Instead, in WNL Yuiga has feelings for Uruka because she saved and changed his life in the past. I prefer what has been done in 5toubun honestly, but this 2020 will really be the revenge of childhood friends in harem manga.
I'm happy that Uruka is gonna win because she's best girl and mangaka never let best girls win.

Honestly, even without this newfound flashback, Uruka was the only of the five who Nariyuki was hinted at actually having feelings for. And not the "I'm flustered because of fanservice." This flashback is driving home the point how much she influenced his current drive just like he had done with her.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Act-Age 98/99

Damn, what an ending to the team A performance. This series really is something special.

Now is finally the time, I want to see beardy go all out like he's been hinting all along. I hope the team B side reaches the same peaks as the team A side.

Also, nice 1917 reference.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Guardian Of The Witch is giving me some Marry Grave vibes, which is a good thing. A very good thing. It and Mission: Yozakura Family are probably the only two new series recently added to Jump that I care about, which probably means they'll be quickly canned while Undead Unluck and Agravity Boys survive and go on to run for several years, as is my luck with anything in Jump.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 191:
Another single chapter month is a bummer, but it it what it is. Yuba was pretty slick with landing that kick on Tsuji. It's also nice to see Osamu's wire zone make a comeback even though Obishima was able to hold her ground. And Yuma's creativity continues to not fail to impress though I have to wonder the max limit of grasshopper panels you can project at once.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
World Trigger 191
Yoooo, Kuga with that sick attack combo. He gets so much mileage out of Grasshopper, weird that not many other characters seem to use it.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I think many of us thought Furuhashi was a lock in to win in Bokuben so it's shocking that other girls are even seriously in contention. I grew up reading and watching so many series where the girl best suited for the MC end up losing and getting disrespected so this Uruka swerve has been an unexpected but welcome development.

I would love it if Yuiga goes with Kominami at the end to really subvert readers expectations lol. Make it happen.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 191
Yoooo, Kuga with that sick attack combo. He gets so much mileage out of Grasshopper, weird that not many other characters seem to use it.
I'm guessing you would need to first learn pinball formation from Midorikawa since it's his signature move and this is an extension of pinball. Yuma also was able to pick up grasshopper fast since uses something similar in his BT with his Bound seal. Though someone should send in a question to Ashihara about the durability of shield versus grasshopper.

Edit: It turns out he already explained grasshopper's functionality in a previous Q&A, so I'm good on that end.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The World God Only Knows 39-56

Teacher arc was okay
The doll girl arc was fun, the doll is nightmare fuel though
I was surprised by how much I liked Haqua's partner Yukie. She's just so earnest lol, it's endearing
Swimmer girl/Minami arc was cute, and for all that angst over messy hair I don't think it looks bad on her at all

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Vengeful Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap is very comfy to read.

Yes, it is an isekai but the art and the characters are developed enough to make it a pleasant read. Still, it doesn't help the manga's case that the illustrator draws our protagonist with anime eyes. (Yes, she's human, but she can turn into a cat)

2.jpg

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Getting caught up on my non-SJ series, somebody else please tell me you're reading Birdmen, because this shit is good. It's refreshing to read a series with a global pitch that actually delivers on that, and the world feels huge and intriguing. Great characters and art, too.

Birdmen is great. I've been following it since it started but the irregular uploads of the scanlations over the years makes this one of those series I tend to forget after a while. Usually I randomly remember it exists and catch up on however many chapters I missed in a batch. Thanks for reminding me, I have a bunch of chapters to catch up on.

Have you read Kekkaishi too? Yellow Tanabe is really underrated.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Death Note One Shot

This was fantastic. Great short story and I want to see more like this, the idea has so much potential for more.

100% was rooting for the MC. Brilliant plan and execution and he almost got screwed by the random rule change but then gets screwed anyway lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Birdmen is great. I've been following it since it started but the irregular uploads of the scanlations over the years makes this one of those series I tend to forget after a while. Usually I randomly remember it exists and catch up on however many chapters I missed in a batch. Thanks for reminding me, I have a bunch of chapters to catch up on.

Have you read Kekkaishi too? Yellow Tanabe is really underrated.
Kekkaishi was what I was into first, it's fantastic. Yellow Tanabe really is great. Wish they'd get an SJ series at some point so people actually notice them, lol.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I had already read Ohba's draft for this chapter, but with Obata's drawing it is even more amazing. It is such a good one shot chapter, with the same inspiration that Ohba used for the first part of Death Note. It is fun how Ohba jokes about the fact that nowadays most of the tricks used by Light (e.g. to kill the FBI agents) would be useless.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger

Scorpion Pinball was one of the best attacks ever and then the final hit. Poor Obishima, destroyed.

Kuga FTW. He and Hyuse continue to be the most creative agents around!

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Mieruko-chan 1-11

Jesus.

I thought this would be mostly comedy but the ghosts and spirits are grotesque and extremely disturbing. The actual horror parts are pretty scary. I feel so bad for this girl, especially after that twist in chapter 11.

This would make a great live action adaptation.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 191
Nice of Yuma to offer some words of encouragement after the hype combo.

Yuba's got this 1 v 3 no problem.

Hell's Paradise 85
Always end up missing these since viz doesn't put them on their app for some reason. Only thing better than goofy puns is the same character pointing out their obvious puns. Good stuff.

Shugen mad.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
guardian of the witch 1
very generic, i foresee another cut series in a few months, just like mashle

surprised to see others talk about birdmen, i thought i'm the only one who reads it
not even chinese translations are caught up so i've been reading the raws
i think i prefer kekkaishi to birdmen, there's just way too much talking in birdmen

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a bunch of Jojos, One Piece, Berserk and FMA numbers. It feels nice to almost complete (or in OP and Berserk cases being to almost to date). Now this year I pay some debts I will try to get more manga I was interested but was not a priority as the others.

And btw but Aria the Masterpiece is so cute omg. I'm so happy to getting them, I really want to avoid miss numbers like how it happened with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

IMG-20200203-223631-resize-36.jpg
IMG-20200203-220959-resize-15.jpg
IMG-20200203-220548-resize-96.jpg
IMG-20200203-220701-resize-6.jpg

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing other Berserk releases always reminds me just how ugly and unappealing the Dark Horse Berserk logo is.

And do those have art on the spines, asagami_?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They have yeah.

IMG-20200203-231037-resize-12.jpg

The two editorials working here in México only works with japanese editions (usually the cheaper one but some series get lucky to have something more special) , I think it is very US-only to make custom recopilations and designs which don't exist at Japan.

Last edited:

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
And btw but Aria the Masterpiece is so cute omg. I'm so happy to getting them, I really want to avoid miss numbers like how it happened with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

I'm really looking forward to the Aria volumes that never got translated previously, I think it begins with Masterpiece Vol. 5?

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a bunch of Jojos, One Piece, Berserk and FMA numbers. It feels nice to almost complete (or in OP and Berserk cases being to almost to date). Now this year I pay some debts I will try to get more manga I was interested but was not a priority as the others.

I've always been interested in Aria since its always mentioned in the same breath as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. What are the masterpiece Tokyopop editions like. I'm still wary of them even if the Yuri bear storm releases I have from them have been alright.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I dropped it around chapter 18 (I thought Innocent had already become a lot worse towards the end).
I think I remember feeling similarly and then like always, the monthly/irregular release just left me a bit numb and wanting to let the chapters accumulate. I hear it's ending though so I'll probably get back to it.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've always been interested in Aria since its always mentioned in the same breath as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. What are the masterpiece Tokyopop editions like. I'm still wary of them even if the Yuri bear storm releases I have from them have been alright.

Both are very similar indeed, but I think Aria is more character-driven than Yokohama. The masterpiece are pretty good, I'm not sure about the translation because I'm a lazy bunch who is still have to read it but the few pages I have read don't look weird.

I'm really looking forward to the Aria volumes that never got translated previously, I think it begins with Masterpiece Vol. 5?

I'm at work right now, but I suspect each Masterpiece release includes the content from two volume from the original edition (even the first Masterpiece number is shorter because it's Aqua basically) If my guess is right then the fourth Masterpiece will include the original 5 and 6 volume. I think you are right about that Layla.

aria.jpg

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Domestic Girlfriend had a nice surprise at the end of 258 and then it seemed to go on hiatus for a few weeks. I see 259 has been posted on CR's site now though.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Completed House of Five Leaves. Found it to be a fantastic read with an unpredictable and somewhat unsatisfying ending.
Jumping into Happiness next.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The Cuckoo's Fiance 2

That was pretty good and heartwarming. I dig it. I'm more interested in Sachi and Erika's relationship and the kids bonding with their birth parents instead of the main romance tbh.

Quints 120

:'(

I dont want this to end.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wave, Listen to Me. Vol 1

I loved this book, I'm a sucker for radio and the main character is really likable. It's just a lot of fun.

The afterword is pretty good too. I love that the two concepts behind it are "Let's write a story about love and radio" and "Let's make a manga where nobody dies."

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The Cuckoo's Fiance 2
I think more interested switched at birth angle then the romance if i'm being quit honest, I like seeing Erika trying to connect with her long lost parents

Death Note One shot
I call bullshit, Ryuk is a sore loser

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Vol. 13
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH WHY IS RADIANT SO GOOOOOD

Melie's backstory really hit me, I love Seth and Nonov's interactions and this arc continues to be very promising, with a setting that's just so beautiful. Really looking forward to the next one.
(And man Tony Valente just comes off as such a cool dude in the Q&As.)

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Jump TOC

Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover & Lead Color)
Dr. Stone
My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (Color)
Mashle
The Promised Neverland
Guardian of the Witch (Color)
Chainsaw Man
Jujutsu Kaisen
Undead Unluck
Act-Age
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Black Clover
One-shot (Color)
Agravity Boys (First Ranking)

Miitama Security
Mission Yozakura Family
Haikyuu-bu!! (Special Chapter)
Let's! Haikyuu! (Special Chapter)

Samurai 8
Zipman!!

One Piece and Haikyuu are absent

Welp, Zipman is dead. That's a shame, I was enjoying it.
Agravity Boys is cushioned for now... still not a fan, even though it got past the stupidity of the first chapter, there was more crap to follow.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Not surprised that Zipman is tanking.

The set-up had potential,, but from the onset I was worried about it going the Monster of the Week route, and then for its first real arc... we got a bunch of tensionless 1v1 MotW fights based around an unexciting scenario. I feel like the introduction of some supporting characters was in order before anything else, but it's too late for that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.