• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I buy physical manga from Amazon. Viz stuff usually goes for 8-9, Yen Press usually around 11-12. Not the cheapest, but I like having a physical collection and it still beats buying from Kinokuniya, where they cost about the equivalent of 15-20.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i get why my situation is expensive, everything is here. you'd think the eng market would be larger enough to charge less and expand it, but maybe they're happy where it is milking us who buy for now

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that I used to have to buy Ranma 1/2 volumes at £17 each and they were flipped left-to-right, I think the situation is still better than it used to be.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I recently tried to get into mangas but it's really expensive. A book costs 12€ and I finish them in less than an hour. I presume everybody reads them digitally.

Yeah I mostly buy ebooks at around 5 to 6 euro each. I only buy physical volumes for stuff I really like or isn't available digitally.
For what ts worth check your local library for what they have. it might not be much but if they have free intra library loans there's more on offer than ypu'd first think. I'm slowly making my way through 20th cnetuary boys since between all the libraries in Ireland they seem to have every volume.

i get why my situation is expensive, everything is here. you'd think the eng market would be larger enough to charge less and expand it, but maybe they're happy where it is milking us who buy for now

There's no reason to think this. Comics are small time in general, which means higher prices. For what its worth it does seem like Kodansha are planning a english version of their Comic Days subscription service, which should have a greater variety of genre's than something like Viz's SJ subscription.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I prefer to read in English but why are other languages so much cheaper? MHA is like 4€ in Italian.
I'm sorry but 12€ is way too expensive. It's more expensive than watching a movie.
Yes 12€ is too high in my opinion. I find 5€ the best price, 6€ acceptable for good physical versions. Then on Amazon.it the average price is 4€, I can confirm (I bought all MHA by spending 3,65 per volume). The only problem is that for most of the series they are behind. For example, they are starting Act-Age on February, Kaguya in summer. Only for mainstream series like One Piece, Boruto, MHA and similar (with Samurai 8 as exception) they are almost in pair with Japan.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recently tried to get into mangas but it's really expensive. A book costs 12€ and I finish them in less than an hour. I presume everybody reads them digitally.

I like browsing stuff at the bookstore so I'll buy a lot of volume 1's that look interesting, then if I want to read more I'll switch to digital. There are a handful of series I really like that I'll get the physical versions for (or if the physical version stands out like Aria the Masterpiece). For huge series like Haikyuu and Attack on Titan I'll buy some of the volumes I really liked, because after Eyeshield 21 (33 volumes) I decided that I'm not getting more than 10 of any series ever again

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Senryuu Shoujo: Graduation Arc

That was sweet. Koto-nee has always been a joke character (though her jokes were usually hilarious) so it was nice to see her get some development. I guess now that she's out of the way, its full speed ahead for Eiji and Nanako.

Prez is the best though. I guess she too has wide coverage lol. I was lukewarm on these side characters when they were first introduced but they've really grown on me. This manga has great comedy but it can be a solid rom com when it wants to be.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys think that Manga is expensive, realize that American Comic Books cost $4-6 dollars for something you can easily read in 5 minutes

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
If you guys think that Manga is expensive, realize that American Comic Books cost $4-6 dollars for something you can easily read in 5 minutes
Anyone reading floppies only have themselves to blame. Trade paperbacks are liek 15 quid and 5.50 on ebook sales so their prices are comparable.
It does show though that the issue with prices is that theirs a limited readership for most comics though.
That might change in the next 5-10 years though since theirs a big kids and YA comics boom in the works. Provided that audience keeps reading comics as they get older.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone reading floppies only have themselves to blame. Trade paperbacks are liek 15 quid and 5.50 on ebook sales so their prices are comparable.
It does show though that the issue with prices is that theirs a limited readership for most comics though.
That might change in the next 5-10 years though since theirs a big kids and YA comics boom in the works. Provided that audience keeps reading comics as they get older.
I never understood that, didnt they use to be 15 cents or something and then dollar comics?

If I was in comics Id just wait for the collected versions, at least you get like 40 chapters in them.
Well, yeah, 12 cents in 1960s money is something like $1 in modern money.... the thing is the distribution changed. Comics used to be mass produced and sold at Newsstands. Since the 90s, that hasn't existed, and comics have basically been exclusivly sold at a direct market level (to comic stores), with significantly smaller quantities being produced. It's why the same Newspaper I remember being like a quarter 20 years ago is now $3- as your market shrinks, you need to charge more to cover the costs

I'm not sure if the kids/YA comic boom is going to mean much in the long run other than a continuance of massive TV/Cartoon/Movie presence. I think someone who is 11 years old is going to be way more likely to jump in to CW shows after growing up with comics to continue those characters than pay $4 an issue

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
5toubun 121

We are near the end, next week the last chapter will be released and finally we will see the wedding between Fuutarou and Yotsuba.
I really liked this chapter, with many references to past chapters (for examples, when Nino didn't want to make holes in her ears for the earrings) and some explanations about why Fuutarou's family is poor.
And then, as it was expected, we have the final quintuplet game, where Fuutarou has to identify Yotsuba among the five wives. That's also explain why in a previous chapter several wedding dresses have been shown: the reason is not that Fuutarou will be get married with all of them, but simply they are there because of this game.
There are two pending things that must be explained or solved.
The first is that Yotsuba didn't tell Fuutarou that she was his childhood friend. But I am absolutely satisfied about the fact we didn't see such a declaration, because it highlights how Fuutarou fell in love with the actual Yotsuba.
The second is, instead, bell kisser's identity. About that, I am quite sure it will be the main topic of last chapter, and we will find out that she is of course Yotsuba.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5toubun 121

We are near the end, next week the last chapter will be released and finally we will see the wedding between Fuutarou and Yotsuba.
I really liked this chapter, with many references to past chapters (for examples, when Nino didn't want to make holes in her ears for the earrings) and some explanations about why Fuutarou's family is poor.
And then, as it was expected, we have the final quintuplet game, where Fuutarou has to identify Yotsuba among the five wives. That's also explain why in a previous chapter several wedding dresses have been shown: the reason is not that Fuutarou will be get married with all of them, but simply they are there because of this game.
There are two pending things that must be explained or solved.
The first is that Yotsuba didn't tell Fuutarou that she was his childhood friend. But I am absolutely satisfied about the fact we didn't see such a declaration, because it highlights how Fuutarou fell in love with the actual Yotsuba.
The second is, instead, bell kisser's identity. About that, I am quite sure it will be the main topic of last chapter, and we will find out that she is of course Yotsuba.
The "wedding" is pretty much over. They mention that the ceremony is over. The best we will see is the reception,. I guess it makes sense skipping the ceremony considering we've already seen most of it via flashbacks.

And yeah, I hope that the whole bell kiss thing is addressed. Also I would hope that at some point Yotsuba mentioned that they met before. I know it doesn't matter now, but she should have no reason not to mention it especially since it doesn't matter now. It'd just be a nice shared memory between them now.

Looking forward to next week.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The "wedding" is pretty much over. They mention that the ceremony is over. The best we will see is the reception,. I guess it makes sense skipping the ceremony considering we've already seen most of it via flashbacks.

And yeah, I hope that the whole bell kiss thing is addressed. Also I would hope that at some point Yotsuba mentioned that they met before. I know it doesn't matter now, but she should have no reason not to mention it especially since it doesn't matter now. It'd just be a nice shared memory between them now.

Looking forward to next week.

Yeah, I used the "ceremony" term in a wrong way. Fortunately they didn't repeat the moment where wife and husband kissed, since we already saw it in parallel with the bell kiss. I hope next chapter will be effectively used to show some Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's interaction, after the quintuplets game ends.

I was also reading that maybe final chapter would have had 30 pages instead of 20, but maybe it was incorrect information. I suppose we will just get the traditional 20 pages.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Quints 121

Nino's timeskip design is great. Its funny how Ichika and Itsuki look exactly the same though.

One more week left. Looking forward to next week. I'm just disappointed we didnt get more time skip chapters.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I used the "ceremony" term in a wrong way. Fortunately they didn't repeat the moment where wife and husband kissed, since we already saw it in parallel with the bell kiss. I hope next chapter will be effectively used to show some Fuutarou's and Yotsuba's interaction, after the quintuplets game ends.

I was also reading that maybe final chapter would have had 30 pages instead of 20, but maybe it was incorrect information. I suppose we will just get the traditional 20 pages.
It's is 30 pages, and 10 color pages. So this could mean that it's 30 pages, 10 of which are color. Or it could mean there are 10 color pages, then 30 regular pages. IF it's anything like chapter 100, I would bet the 10 color pages are advertisements (there are supposed to be S2 of the anime and "after the serialization" announcements for the series) then a 30 page finale.

I given up on Fuutarou and Yotsuba having any more interactions like they did before sadly. It's weird that most of their chemistry they had before they started dating seems to not be present after the confession. Even during the date since they were being awkward with each other and there were constant cutaways to the sisters.

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing to support my BakuTodo. In any case, lots of series last week.
64bcb34b70879910330fbb7235c796366732dc39.jpg

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I've always wanted to read them, but cost and storage (small apartment) were always barriers. I started doing Shonen Jump on iOS and the cost is great $2 for a TON of stuff... and then no storage issues :) It's worth checking out if available for you.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Jigokuraku definitely evokes the feeling of what I would imagine the Dark Continent arc in HxH would be like. Except for the lack of Nen of course. But they seem to be introducing something similar where I'm at, so we will see.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Jigokuraku definitely evokes the feeling of what I would imagine the Dark Continent arc in HxH would be like. Except for the lack of Nen of course. But they seem to be introducing something similar where I'm at, so we will see.
Yup.

Hope Kaku does a series in WSJ eventually. Though I could see him going to a seinen magazine.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Does anybody own the attack on Titan colossal editions? Thinking about getting them. Really enjoyed the recent berserk deluxe editions by dark horse and these seem similar.

Jun 22, 2019
Jigokuraku definitely evokes the feeling of what I would imagine the Dark Continent arc in HxH would be like.

I got zero HxH vibes from it, but I also started to completely hate it once they get to the island. It started to feel more and more like a generic battle manga where everything smears together, the characterization was awful, and it completely lacked the sort of surprises and trope subversions that make me love HxH.

Somehow I'm still managing to have a blast with Chainsawman.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The latest chapters of Jigokuraku are getting pretty interesting with the 3-way battle between our heroes, the Tensen, and Shugen's troops. Those panels with all the masks coming out of the shadows around Nurugai and Shion were pretty freaky. (spoilered out of respect for people catching up!)

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I got zero HxH vibes from it, but I also started to completely hate it once they get to the island. It started to feel more and more like a generic battle manga where everything smears together, the characterization was awful, and it completely lacked the sort of surprises and trope subversions that make me love HxH.

Somehow I'm still managing to have a blast with Chainsawman.
Tbf HxH didn't really start hitting you with Trope subversions and surprises until later on.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, saying that trope subversions makes you like something is super weird to me, because it implies that all tropes are bad

Oct 25, 2017
Viz just added a short 30-chapter series called "The Right Way to Make Jump". It was released last year, so now it's in the digital vault.

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Jump TOC is out.

Act-Age (Cover & Lead Color)
One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr. Stone (Color)
Guardian of the Witch
Haikyuu!
My Hero Academia
Mashle
We Never Learn
Undead Unluck
Miitama Security
The Promised Neverland
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
My Little Mars (One-shot)
Mission Yozakura Family
Agravity Boys
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Zipman!!
Samurai 8

Black Clover is off.

Jump needs to stop dragging Samurai 8's corpse. It's unseemly.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Jump needs to stop dragging Samurai 8's corpse. It's unseemly.
I suppose that, as soon as they need space for a new serialization, Samurai 8 will be dropped. It is true that in many countries outside Japan translated volumes have been already publisher and there are some contracts for them, but it is so low on the ToC that it cannot survive. I admit that I have still to read the last two chapters myself, since last arc didn't engage me so much.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Kengan Omega 50

Some time ago I started it and let it go until it was completed. Now that won't stand. I can't believe it, so hype.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Kengan Omega 50

It sure feels like something that's still in the spirit of the series.
After people moved on to accept clones we got bamboozled, expectations subverted. Never before seen results have been achieved.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I wasn't expecting sexual intercourse energy transfer to pop up in Jigokuraku. Though I wasn't aware that is was an actual thing in Taoism. That's probably explains why it was a thing in Fate as well.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a One Piece question: How is Garp allowed to hold a high position in the Navy when his son is the revolutionary leader and his grandson is one of the most notorious pirates in the world?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a One Piece question: How is Garp allowed to hold a high position in the Navy when his son is the revolutionary leader and his grandson is one of the most notorious pirates in the world?
Garp had a bunch of really huge achievements back in the day and became well known as a Hero of the marines and is pretty much too popular to be fired without backlash, especially since he is still doing his own job properly for the most part.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Garp had a bunch of really huge achievements back in the day and became well known as a Hero of the marines and is pretty much too popular to be fired without backlash, especially since he is still doing his own job properly for the most part.

Pretty much, Sengoku is also good friends with him.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And why do some Pirates have a working relationship with the Marines?
I mean it depends on which ones you're talking about. Warlords aside since they straight up work for the marines, most other examples are corrupt marines like Nezumi, though there are other examples where shit at the top of the world government leads to certain forms of cooperation. And in the case of the Four emperors, they usually try not to interact too much because the leaders of the world government are super conservative and care more about preserving the current order than anything else

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it depends on which ones you're talking about. Warlords aside since they straight up work for the marines, most other examples are corrupt marines like Nezumi, though there are other examples where shit at the top of the world government leads to certain forms of cooperation. And in the case of the Four emperors, they usually try not to interact too much because the leaders of the world government are super conservative and care more about preserving the current order than anything else
I mean like why do the warlords work for the marines?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean like why do the warlords work for the marines?
It's implied the Marines used the warlords as a way to have extra muscle if they needed to confront one of the emperors. As for the warlords, they get their bounties and their subordinates bounties frozen meaning they aren't considered wanted anymore. Not to mention a bunch of warlords chose the position for political reasons like Jinbe and Hancock

Status
Not open for further replies.