• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
The Hungry Yojimbo from the wild

This summary is pretty apt:
"If you thought Kenshiro was cool, imagine if he had a love child with Chun-Li, and that girl worked as a bouncer."
SlPltfv.jpg

I would find it more akin to "what if chun-li had the mind of young goku?"
i'll just have to fly to japan and browse a standard bookstore and choose stuff based off the covers again i guesssssssss

does yen have a digital option yet
They do but its not as impressive as their real books.

Oct 25, 2017
Legit pretty shocked. Like others have said, there were a lot of series that were only on Batoto that will never see licenses overseas because their just too obscure/too niche that will be gone forever. Sad day.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Institutions held up by fan labor at the expense of individuals can really only end in one way unfortunately

Oct 27, 2017
On the plus side, this may be the nuke that my manga backlog was yearning for.

Isekai Goumon Hime 7

There's devoted, and then there's Hina. The MC's poisoning strategy lacks subtly, but then that's obviously not what he's concerned with here.

Oct 25, 2017
Rokudou no Onna-tachi 74

I really love that those two bullies from the beginning have turned into legitimately likable characters chilling with the rest of the main crew in situations like this.

It's all the more refreshing as I'm playing a VN right now with some REALLY bad bullying in it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i think they were just an aggregator? But they were pretty good about giving credit to scan groups and pulling shit if it got licenced.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Rokudou no Onna-tachi 74

Its a shame they didn't show her a guilty gear cabinet. She would have smoked fools. Also featured, fun with lollipops and even more shoujo eyes.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, Yen needs to have a digital option or something. I'm running out of space for manga volumes.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
BATOTO will be closing down permanently.

End of a fuckin era, goddamn.

We already lost the MangaFox forums late last year, and now this is happening.

D:
Here's the announcement. (mod edit: don't link to scan sites) It sounds as if there's some hope that not all is lost. I wonder if it's possible for the reigns to be handled over to someone else, rather than having to restart anew from those backups.

What did batoto scanlate that was big I've never heard of them.
Did anyone scanlate anything under Batoto's name? I'm not sure. I thought it was just one of the sites that scanlators liked to upload directly to, since Batoto didn't downscale, remove pages/credits or add watermarks, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Batoto was one of the biggest distribution points, a tonne of smaller groups only went to, like, their niche and Batoto.

Anyway, I need shoujo, stat. Horimiya has lit something in me again. Like, stuff that feels like Horimiya and Tonari no Kaibutus-kun (two series that have trouble with casual violence... hmmm.)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Batoto was one of the biggest distribution points, a tonne of smaller groups only went to, like, their niche and Batoto.

Anyway, I need shoujo, stat. Horimiya has lit something in me again. Like, stuff that feels like Horimiya and Tonari no Kaibutus-kun (two series that have trouble with casual violence... hmmm.)

Have you read Taiyou no Ie?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i don't recall, i might have given it a shot and it didn't hook me immediately but i might go back again and see

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Peach Girl is always good, don't read that new manga though, its a disgrace to the original.

On the flip side you can read Oresama Teacher.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm serious. No linking to scan sites. The next person who does gets worse than a warning. I'm only letting you talk about the place by name because of how big the news is for the community. No other sites are to be mentioned by name and no sites or groups are to be linked to outside of hidden tags. Those are the rules and you're expected to follow them, even if I'm giving a bit of leeway in this specific instance.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Big sites have gone down before and pretty quickly replaced by an identical alternative (cough this site, the torrent site) so maybe something new will pop up. Considering how thoroughly batoto is mined by a trillion other sites it shouldn't be hard for someone to archive everything... but who knows it might be gone

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Big sites have gone down before and pretty quickly replaced by an identical alternative (cough this site, the torrent site) so maybe something new will pop up. Considering how thoroughly batoto is mined by a trillion other sites it shouldn't be hard for someone to archive everything... but who knows it might be gone
Apparently he let the rest of the staff know about his decision ahead of time and they've been doing exactly that for a few weeks now. With any luck they'll be able to launch something around the time this place goes down.

We won't be mentioning that new place by name though, at least not outside of hidden tags.

Oct 25, 2017
A Harem in the Fantasy World Dungeon 1-5

It's a Skyrim-like manga, but in the world of a full ecchi and
that dude must be a hacker. In early Chapter 2, Lvl 2 adventurer actually defeated lvl 24 bandit with a holy sword in that state? Oh please.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Guys, I'm serious. No linking to scan sites. The next person who does gets worse than a warning. I'm only letting you talk about the place by name because of how big the news is for the community. No other sites are to be mentioned by name and no sites or groups are to be linked to outside of hidden tags. Those are the rules and you're expected to follow them, even if I'm giving a bit of leeway in this specific instance.
We're allowed to discuss it, but we can't give context by linking to the announcement itself in the forum section of the website? I don't like that I've been made an example out of, when I think the ambiguity is clear. Would it be possible for my "infraction" reviewed for reconsideration? In my opinion, it seems unnecessarily strict, as I was not linking for the purpose of sharing content but for providing information relevant to the discussion (for a soon-to-be-disappearing website, which anyone reading this can and will probably find on their own, nonetheless). The previous posts were also modified without similar warnings and the associated "FYI warnings" were easy to miss, as I was originally using the search function to see if there was mention of the topic and the warnings deliberately avoided referencing the site by name. Are we allowed quoting what's written in the announcement? I would like clarification on that too please. Thank you.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We're allowed to discuss it, but we can't give context by linking to the announcement itself in the forum section of the website? I don't like that I've been made an example out of, when I think the ambiguity is clear. Would it be possible for my "infraction" reviewed for reconsideration? In my opinion, it seems unnecessarily strict, as I was not linking for the purpose of sharing content but for providing information relevant to the discussion (for a soon-to-be-disappearing website, which anyone reading this can and will probably find on their own, nonetheless). The previous posts were also modified without similar warnings and the associated "FYI warnings" were easy to miss, as I was originally using the search function to see if there was mention of the topic and the warnings deliberately avoided referencing the site by name. Are we allowed quoting what's written in the announcement? I would like clarification on that too please. Thank you.
Look, I'm not even supposed to allow you all to mention to place by name let alone link to it. I'm only bending the rules because it's such big news for the community.

It's just like everybody not being able to post pages that have watermarks on them, we can't be linking to sites that aid in copyright infringement. It's just like you not being able to link to sites that let you download illegal versions of games or movies, let alone mention them by name, under any circumstances. I'm already going out on a limb by letting you guys use the site name. If you want to quote the actual text then I'll let you but that's as far as I can let you go. No links.

You can run it up the ladder to an admin but I guarantee they won't take the warning away and might even think I'm going too easy on you all with how I'm currently dealing with it. I'm already bending the rules here, so please keep that in mind.

If you want to discuss this further please do so in a PM.

If you want me to ban mention of the site's name altogether I will because, frankly, that's what I'm expected to do in the first place.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just read the news, RIP Batoto. Looks like I'm going to have to spend my next day off backing up my follows list so I don't lose it. :(

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Look, I'm not even supposed to allow you all to mention to place by name let alone link to it. I'm only bending the rules because it's such big news for the community.

It's just like everybody not being able to post pages that have watermarks on them, we can't be linking to sites that aid in copyright infringement. It's just like you not being able to link to sites that let you download illegal versions of games or movies, let alone mention them by name, under any circumstances. I'm already going out on a limb by letting you guys use the site name. If you want to quote the actual text then I'll let you but that's as far as I can let you go. No links.

You can run it up the ladder to an admin but I guarantee they won't take the warning away and might even think I'm going too easy on you all with how I'm currently dealing with it. I'm already bending the rules here, so please keep that in mind.

If you want to discuss this further please do so in a PM.

If you want me to ban mention of the site's name altogether I will because, frankly, that's what I'm expected to do in the first place.
Alright then, regarding links, what about those to social media or other directly/indirectly affiliated outlets that are not links to the actual website?

Also, since I have permission to do so...
Hello everyone.

Batoto will be closing down permanently.

I just don't have the will to run this site anymore. This is not a sudden decision for me or something I make lightly, it has been on my mind for a couple years now. And I've finally made my mind to put it into action.

I started Batoto along with the crew from The Company back in January of 2011 and it's been a very meaningful part of my life. I don't regret taking on this hobby called Batoto and I cherish the role that I've played as well as the countless hours everyone else here has put in as well as the great community that we've built. I've come to see this like my baby. At 7 years, I suppose it's not even a baby anymore. But it is at a point where I need to move on with my life. I'm tired and I just can't do this anymore.

Batoto is proving to be ever more time consuming to maintain despite the fact that we have fewer real visitors. Our bot visitors are always growing as we're the only source that still gives true quality. I've made some serious and controversial changes to counter that like adding membership requirements. While that helped a ton at that time, it always creeps back and we're almost back to square one at this point when I look at the statistics. They currently make up roughly 35% of the traffic which are much more troublesome than real users. And I don't want to make more serious change to this site that'll inconvenience the readers even further. We've already lost enough.

It's not just the bots that adds to the technical issues. It's a big site with huge number of page views. It's just expected part of running the site. Whether it be a DDoS attack, scraper bots gone haywire, servers/hosting company being annoying, ad company being annoying, there's just so many stuff that I constantly have to deal with. Over the last 7 years, I haven't had a single day when I could just freely take a day off. If the site goes down, I had to be there, on my computer, ready to take action. I obviously don't do something every single day, but just making myself available is taxing on my life. The fact that I'm unable to take a vacation have often been a point of argument with others in my life. Anytime someone says, let's go somewhere, I could only say no. I have to be here. Sound sleeping is also a thing of the past. I have alarms that go off when the site goes down. I'd wake up in the middle of the sleep to take care of it. False alarm, while irritating, is one of the best things to see when I'm interrupted from my sleep. How else would I have always responded to issues immediately?

I've simply run out of will and I feel this is the best choice for me. I beg that the community understands this difficult decision I've made.

Services will be severely affected starting January 18th as servers expire, though content may still be accessible for you. By January 25th, critical number of servers will have expired that the site will no longer function. But you should consider 18th to be the last day.

I have stopped accepting donations for a several months now and I'll check to see if anyone sent anything directly and I'll be sure to refund them if they did.

Going forward, some of the staff members have and still are in the process of backing up the entire Batoto comic content as they have been notified of this decision well in advanced. They may choose to create a new Batoto or something simpler. That will be up to them, but I will no longer be part of running it.

I understand that our forum is a valuable form of communication for many. Because of that, I will be keeping the forums running for an extended period of time, date of which is not yet decided. I will also be making an export for your follows list so that your list isn't lost. Additionally, this list will be available as long as the forum is up and running. Other information that may be useful to the community may be filtered and backed up then made available for the community, but I will, under no circumstances, give anyone a full backup of the site or database. Many have used our system in confidence and it will stay that way.

I would like to thank everyone here for your patronage all these years. It has been a good run. Really, thank you. Wouldn't have made it this far without you.

---------------------

Looks like a lot of people are in a scramble to save what they can, and as a result, site is lot slower. I'm turning on the cloudflare anti-ddos protection to put the site back to a manageable speed. Will likely need to keep it on until the end.

[Edited by Grumpy, Yesterday, 07:17 PM.]

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Alright then, regarding links, what about those to social media or other directly/indirectly affiliated outlets that are not links to the actual website?

Also, since I have permission to do so...
No directly related outfits or any places that link to any copyrighted material. That's the hard and fast rule and I'm not going to bend on that one at all.

Nidonodin

Oct 28, 2017
Another one bites the dust.There have been worst losses but successors always pop up after a while. I think the loss of batoto will impact more the scanlators than the users.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
VIz player was not working well for me. Had to refresh a lot to get through the issue.

My Hero Academia 165
Might be a new low for Bakugo
Seraph of the End 64
More Mika information is good.
Dr. Stone 41
Another great chapter. Senku as chief is still hilarious.
Robot x Laserbeam 39
Powers ups are good and all, but the power of having x many of perfect shots is pretty dull. Funny pose towards the end.
Food Wars 245
At least they are rushing through this.
WNL 45
I guess they will use the sister as a proxy to avoid the weird student teacher relationship. Though I suppose she has a pretty different personality.
Black Clover 139
Surprised we are getting a new black bull introduced so soon after Zora. Hopefully now that Guache has something else to protect we don't have to do the awful sister gag anymore.
Promised Neverland 69
Meeting more new characters is good, seeing as how most of the hope farm kids aren't really proper characters. Maybe 2-3 of this bunch will get to stick around.
Blue Exorcist 97
The big turn was kind of underwhelming.
e no Goten:Starting Point
E-sports is here! And even in a manga about e sports you can leave it up to a car accident to drive the major conflict.

Oct 25, 2017
Owari no Serafu 64
DTCr870U0AASkhj.jpg:small

Wondered about the angel line, what further role can Mika have now.

I hope Yuu makes this other angel a friend. More players in Yuu's crew please.

Oct 25, 2017
Did the artist for this week's cover of Jump draw two different ones?
The English cover is slightly different from the Japanese one.
In the Japanese one, Luffy and Zoro are holding cards featuring Haikyu, Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, and I think Kimetsu no Yaiba (not sure what series has the guy with the warthog head), while in English, those three were replaced with more One Piece and MHA cards.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
e no Goten:Starting Point

Thought it was decent. The car crash thing is so played out though that I just had to laugh. How many fucking manga are gonna use that shit as a plot device. Wouldn't mind seeing this turned into a full series though, it would definitely be the first of it's kind, and E-Sports manga.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That Esports one-shot in WSJ

This was bad. Like real bad. I legitimately laughed when I saw the car.

Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland
DTC_OIbWAAAKDTM.jpg:small

The gadgets guy is cute, while the others have alright designs. Oliver is good too. Unfortunately, I think Oliver will end up dying perhaps.

I dont know if I like the direction, though again it still feels Hunger Games~esque with a touch of Divergent, oh and maybe some Husbando Runner to for good measure.

I think its moving too fast with the adult here being involved, and more reveals with the pen. Some of this stuff should have come after like the hundreds. Im guessing this manga will be sub 150 chapters MAX.

BLue Exorcist 97
DTDDsaUXUAE2zwz.jpg:small

Shima continues to be the best part, I like how it also seems like no one even cared that he was going off again, I guess they have accepted his traitor status and he'll help them again in the future.

I dont know if I like Yukio's direction, but a Yukio retrieval arc will be awesome.

Ichijou (with headband) in an Gaming AU

Pretty awesome and I liked how he still looking like Ichijou. The plot kind of went on the predictable path, I guess knowing its a one shot and that there would need to be some drama that he would take on her dream of reaching the top. Im always mixed with these type of stories as its great for the winner but the person who has the injury would definitely have some horrible nights just struggling that they wont be able to do whatever it is anymore. Stay Strong Minohara.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
New jump series next issue. Just like with Golem Hearts the protagonist seems to start off younger than their one shot counterpart.
Did the artist for this week's cover of Jump draw two different ones?
The English cover is slightly different from the Japanese one.
In the Japanese one, Luffy and Zoro are holding cards featuring Haikyu, Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, and I think Kimetsu no Yaiba (not sure what series has the guy with the warthog head), while in English, those three were replaced with more One Piece and MHA cards.
It looks like the cards that are used on the english cover are on the japnese cover too, but just behind the various previews/titles. Seems like they probably got the original verison and photoshopped it from there. And yeah, boarhead guy is from KnY.

Oct 27, 2017
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- 30

I suppose en-suite bathrooms aren't really a thing here. Miki's force of will when backing up her elder sister is unsurprising, but I think she deserves a reward from her regardless.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 46
Have kind of lost my enthusiasm for this series due to the frequent breaks. It looks like this tournament will play out the same way as it did in the anime, which is fine. Art is still really good.

Land of the Lustrous 30-63
Started reading this after enjoying the anime a lot. Crazy to see how different Phos is from chapter 1 compared to now. Have also been pleased with the direction the mysteries and antagonists have taken now that they've been (at least partially) revealed.

While the art of the scenery is really strong, it took me a bit to get used to the faces.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Devilman 5

I need an entire Prozac box.

Don't know if I will have it in me to watch Crybaby, with the added music the thing feels heartwrenching (yeah I took a peek at the end to see where they drawn the line).
I'm shellshocked.

Now Gegege no Kitaro, Berserk or Jojo...
Damn.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Ballroom 46
Have kind of lost my enthusiasm for this series due to the frequent breaks. It looks like this tournament will play out the same way as it did in the anime, which is fine. Art is still really good.

Land of the Lustrous 30-63
Started reading this after enjoying the anime a lot. Crazy to see how different Phos is from chapter 1 compared to now. Have also been pleased with the direction the mysteries and antagonists have taken now that they've been (at least partially) revealed.

While the art of the scenery is really strong, it took me a bit to get used to the faces.
My main problem with the Land of the Lustrous manga right now is that I can't help but feel there is a really fucking obvious solution to the conflict and nobody has thought to bring it up in any capacity. Also yeah after coming from the anime, the manga's art is rough to say the least

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 1-34

Isekai is overplayed nowadays yet this one is really up my alley. I'm really liking the MC and supporting cast. The story development is nicely done so far as well with skills being slowly acquired and then mixed.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Slam Dunk 1-44

Bought some of the volumes from the BN manga sale and decided to do my yearly read on this great manga. The dynamic clash between Sakuragi and Rukawa is great especially because of Sendoh in the Ryonan scrimmage egging them on to do better. Akagi teaching Sakuragi the rebound is another great moment that shows the brother-like connection between them. Can't wait to see the other 2 starters come soon afterwards.

Lookism 146

Decent chapter, but it at least pushed the overall plot with DG telling Daniel to unite the "Big 4 Crew."

Ballroom e Youkoso 46

The art is still freaking great, but man... April is such a long time from now for another chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.