Manga |OT|: No matter how I look at it, it's discord's fault we're not popular

January 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
January 2019 Recommendation: My Brother's Husband

Simple slice of life | 4 volumes, complete work, licensed in English, French, and Italian
Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryoji. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family reluctantly but dutifully takes him in. (source)
From Lain:
This first volume felt like a great read to face some of the issues and preconceptions gay people face and some of their problems too like the lack of people to talk with at a young age when they realize their sexual orientation, how faking interest in the other sex and hiding brings them anxiety and troubles. (source)

February 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
February 2019 Recommendation: Kimi ni Todoke

"Queen of slowjo" | 30 volumes, complete work, licensed in English, French, and Italian
With her jet-black hair, sinister smile and silent demeanor, Sawako "Sadako" Kuronuma always had trouble fitting in. But her whole life changes when she befriends the most popular boy in class, Shota Kazehaya. Can love trump her cursed life? (source)
From FlowersisBritish:
And, extra weird recommendation criteria, my favorite break up manga. Going through a shitty breakup? Read this and get lost in love and drama and all that nonsense and realize she/he/they were just not the one. (source)

Last edited:
March 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
March 2019 Recommendation: Beastars

Carnivore-herbivore psychological shounen | 12 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English (Summer 2019)
At this high school, instead of jocks and nerds, the students are divided into predators and prey.

At a high school where the students are literally divided into predators and prey, it's personal relationships that maintain the fragile peace. Who among them is a Beastar-an academic and social role model destined to become a leader in a society naturally rife with mistrust?

Last night at Cherryton Academy, an herbivore student was killed and eaten. Among the members of the drama club, the herbivores' suspicions naturally turn to their carnivore classmates. The prime suspect? Legosi, a large wolf. But he wouldn't hurt a fly-or would he? And will dwarf rabbit Haru bring out the beast in him? Or are his feelings for her.something else? (source)
From OniBarubary:
The strength of the writing is impressive. This is a very subtle and carefully deliberated story. It deals with what would be very heavy topics in the world it takes place in but dances through them very deftly and uses it's strong character writing to move the plot forward instead of having things simply happen for the sake of development. (source)

April 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
April 2019 Recommendation: Tenju no Kuni

Historical Tibetan romantic slice of life | 3 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English
Khang Zhipa is a 13-year-old doctor's apprentice living in a mountain village in 18th-century Tibet. One day, when he gets back from collecting medicinal herbs, he finds a bride-to-be and her wedding party will be resting at his home for the night. The bride's name is Moshi Rati and it turns out she's actually Khang Zhipa's fiancee from another land, here to stay! Enjoy this heartwarming slice-of-life tale woven by a kind-hearted boy and his mysterious bride. (source)
From bright side of life:
My favorite thing is the art is nice and clean with proper emphasis on the characters with toner, details, and blacks so the characters never feel lost in a busy panel. Also those vibrant colors on the colored pages! (source)

May 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
May 2019 Recommendation: Grand Blue

Note: Published as Grand Blue Dreaming in English.

Comedic diving + ecchi youth story | 12 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English
After moving out on his own to a seaside town, Iori Kitahara makes a college debut he never anticipated. A new chapter of his life unfolds, full of diving with beautiful girls and shenanigans with a gaggle of lovable bastards! Idiot-expert Kenji Inoue and au naturel authority Kimitake Yoshioka bring you a glorious college tale filled with booze-fueled antics! (source)
From Zweizer:
Grand Blue is a manga loosely associated with diving in broad strokes, at times. In most other sport manga, who make the featured sport the principal focus and build up the cast and setting around it. Here, diving itself is at times little more than an excuse for the authors to create the appropriate setting to let loose a colorful and likeable cast, involved in all maneers of antics as they live their youth, coupled with biting humor and awesome expressions. (source)

June 2019
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
June 2019 Recommendation: Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist's Journey

The Japanese name of the series is Kakukaku Shikajika.

Autobiographical josei | 5 volumes, complete, licensed in English
High schooler Akiko has big plans to become a popular mangaka before she even graduates, but she needs to get much better at drawing if she ever wants to reach her goal. Looking for an easy fix, she signs up for an art class, thinking all her problems will soon be solved. She’s in for a surprise: her new instructor is a bamboo sword-wielding taskmaster who doesn’t care about manga one bit. But maybe this unconventional art teacher is just what she needs to realize her dreams! (source)
From striferser:
This is a story about youth, regret, hard work and more importantly it’s about human relationship. I guess the author want to put her regret into an art. Maybe she want to tell the reader to cherish the thing you have. Maybe she really want to say sorry. Maybe this is her way to have her teacher live forever. I don’t know. But i appreciate her effort in sharing this. (source)