• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(Thanks a lot to dani_dc for the hard work!)

ucNLwQv.jpg

Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae - Inio Asano

Basic Rules

• DO NOT post, link or request scanlations
  • DO NOT post images with website logos in it
  • DO NOT post NSFW Images or content

Post Advice

Bold the name of the series and the chapter which you are going to discuss.
This allows for a clear and quick understanding of what series you're going to address

Oyasumi PunPun 50

This made me feel things.

Spoilers

Feel free to discuss any translated manga without spoiler tags as long as you properly marked which manga you're talking about.

Do avoid to post spoilers in the form of image as those are difficult for users to avoid.

Use your best judgment, if there's something that you think is a significant spoiler on a chapter that just came out, do feel free to add some extra notice.

If you want to discuss a chapter that is not yet translated from Japanese or not yet released, please use spoiler tags to discuss it and clearly mark the post as a raw or a leak.

Attack On Titan 234(LEAK)
I can't believe the titans came from mars!

Where to buy manga

Recommendations/Impressions

[REC] Tsuyu | Kodomo wa Wakatte Agenai:Oozing with childlike innocence and humorous references of Japan anime/manga culture, this manga tells a light-hearted story revolving around our 2 students and further supported by a fun-loving cast that mingle effortlessly with their natural interactions. Bonus point, the big "brother" is transgender woman and a well-done characterization.
[IMP] dani_dc | Rokudenashi Blues: A late 80 early 90 Jump series about Maeda, an idiot delinquent who solves everything by fist-fighting but has a heart of gold or basically "80's manga".
[REC] Lain | Kamakura Diary volumes 1-6: This manga is really good. Really, really good. It's also pretty draining to read. There are a lot of emotions, situations, feelings and a rich cast of characters which feel really... human and relatable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59

I haven't read manga in a long time, but i wanted something creepy to read over Halloween and i bought this last weekend, my first taste of Junji Ito.

81CfbcFFyHL._SL1500_.jpg

Really enjoying it so far, only read 5 or so chapters, trying to pace myself rather than binging.

Will definitely check out his other work after this, as long a the quality keeps up.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
HEY GUYS! Just started reading Prison School, this is one royally fucked up manga, but quite hilarious

less

Oct 25, 2017
I've been rereading Ravages of Time for the past few days. Still as amazing as the first time I read it. Kingdom doesn't even come close to as awesome as ROT is.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought there'd be a day where this place would use the novel updates site setup

Oct 25, 2017
The opening post could be much better...like no suggestions(?), how spoilers will be handled (?) etc.

Ace of Diamond Act 2 - 89 & 90
DNAmSFyX4AAjAA_.jpg:small

Excellent set of chapters for the representative arc. Miyuki is a perfect fit with the Inashiro personalities, while Mei clashing is pretty funny though hes compatible.

I guess You will get a chance to shine since.

ren

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping up with One Piece, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Dungeon Meshi and Chihayafuru. Been super into Attack on Titan again after not reading in it a while... Also, I need more Levihan pls.

Oct 25, 2017
In the most recent Robot x Laserbeam, I did like this panel. But the time skip still doesnt give me confidence in the long term forecast for this series.
DM31p2-UQAAN3Vv.jpg:small

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read manga in a long time, but i wanted something creepy to read over Halloween and i bought this last weekend, my first taste of Junji Ito.

81CfbcFFyHL._SL1500_.jpg

Really enjoying it so far, only read 5 or so chapters, trying to pace myself rather than binging.

Will definitely check out his other work after this, as long a the quality keeps up.

One of my absolute favs. Junji Ito the best.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up with anything over the last two months until yesterday. I've read through Doctor Stone and Jojolion and I plan to catch up to Innocent Rouge, Grand Blue, and Dungeon Meshi next.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The opening post could be much better...like no suggestions(?), how spoilers will be handled (?) etc.

Ace of Diamond Act 2 - 89 & 90
DNAmSFyX4AAjAA_.jpg:small

Excellent set of chapters for the representative arc. Miyuki is a perfect fit with the Inashiro personalities, while Mei clashing is pretty funny though hes compatible.

I guess You will get a chance to shine since.

If Sawamaru ain't Ace, I'm dropping this manga.

Either permanently, or at least until he is.

Furuya is trash.

Oct 25, 2017
In the most recent Robot x Laserbeam, I did like this panel. But the time skip still doesnt give me confidence in the long term forecast for this series.
DM31p2-UQAAN3Vv.jpg:small
I actually agree with you DTL....new Era indeed
Also:

Shonen Jump #48

Golem Hearts (Cover/Lead CP, New Series)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
Full Drive (CP)
3. Haikyuu!!
4. My Hero Academia
Shokugeki no Soma (CP)
5. Black Clover
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene
Gintama (CP, Final Popularity Poll Results)
7. The Promised Neverland
8. We Never Learn
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
12. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
13. Shoodan!
14. Robot x Laserbeam
15. Cross Account
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene

Shonen Jump Issue 49:
Cover/Lead CP: We Never Learn
CPs: Shokugeki no Soma, Golem Hearts, Grimm Reaper (Oneshot, Taisei Tsujita)

Oct 25, 2017
The fact we got two Lycopene chapters last week and two this week tells me it might stick around as Isobe's replacement. I wanted to like the series from what I read in English Jump, but if half the jokes require a block of text explaining it, then you failed as a comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
Started reading and caught up to the current chapter of Hatarakanai Futari (The Jobless Siblings). Cute series about a pair of sibling NEETs and their daily lives. Though the brother seems like he'd have less trouble living a normal life and it's the sister with major social issues. But the bonding is nice, be it games, TV, or pranks played between them.

Everything else I've been reading is still the same as always, though in frequent. Engaged to the Unidentified, Getter Robo Devolution, Love is Hard for Otaku, and Maou-jou de Oyasumi. Oh, and Tomo-Chan wa Onnanoko, I guess. It's a flashback now during that, Jun remains a piece of shit, and I still can't stop myself from reading this because it's so easy a commitment.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, friends \o
I don't read manga that often, but I have picked up Berserk because I've been told that it's great and a good introduction to manga and it's dark and gritty. Which I love!

The actual books... well Volume 1 was pretty good, but it felt so... juvenile? Like it tried so hard to be like "Guts is the coolest guy around, I swear!" and yeah I like tryhard edgy stuff... but it was too much. I actually liked the second chapter, the one that's just almost completely filler, the most. But overall, I did like the first book overall even though it has a ton of filler, poor motivations for an unlikable character, and tries way too hard and had me laughing as a result.

But Volume 2 on the other hand.... woof. It's a huge mixed bag. Extremely poorly paced art, really on the nose writing, and action that has no emotional or interesting stakes whatsoever. It's impossible for me to be engaged in Guts' struggles when there's so much time spent with him killing everybody with negative effort.

I want to like the series and I'll read Volume 3 soon, but for a start it's really rough.

(Also I've seen the first(?) movie with my partner. I liked it just fine)

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
After hearing from so many people that Black Clover is the next big shonen since the Anime started, I decided to read the manga....

Boy was I disappointed, this really feels like the most generic stuff I have read in years, really not seeing what some people find good about it.

On the opposite side I started reading the Made in Abyss manga after watching the Anime and now I feel double sadness because I hit the end of the Anime and the Manga

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I actually agree with you DTL....new Era indeed
Also:

Shonen Jump #48

Golem Hearts (Cover/Lead CP, New Series)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
Full Drive (CP)
3. Haikyuu!!
4. My Hero Academia
Shokugeki no Soma (CP)
5. Black Clover
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene
Gintama (CP, Final Popularity Poll Results)
7. The Promised Neverland
8. We Never Learn
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
12. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
13. Shoodan!
14. Robot x Laserbeam
15. Cross Account
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene

Shonen Jump Issue 49:
Cover/Lead CP: We Never Learn
CPs: Shokugeki no Soma, Golem Hearts, Grimm Reaper (Oneshot, Taisei Tsujita)

With the final popularity poll on Gintama I imagine that its ending within a year. While I am like 20 chapters behind, I do think this final battle is getting a little drawn out.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, friends \o
I don't read manga that often, but I have picked up Berserk because I've been told that it's great and a good introduction to manga and it's dark and gritty. Which I love!

The actual books... well Volume 1 was pretty good, but it felt so... juvenile? Like it tried so hard to be like "Guts is the coolest guy around, I swear!" and yeah I like tryhard edgy stuff... but it was too much. I actually liked the second chapter, the one that's just almost completely filler, the most. But overall, I did like the first book overall even though it has a ton of filler, poor motivations for an unlikable character, and tries way too hard and had me laughing as a result.

But Volume 2 on the other hand.... woof. It's a huge mixed bag. Extremely poorly paced art, really on the nose writing, and action that has no emotional or interesting stakes whatsoever. It's impossible for me to be engaged in Guts' struggles when there's so much time spent with him killing everybody with negative effort.

I want to like the series and I'll read Volume 3 soon, but for a start it's really rough.

(Also I've seen the first(?) movie with my partner. I liked it just fine)

The first couple volumes are arguably the weakest since we have no back story yet to justify Guts insane rage and hatred, the art is at its most basic (which is amazing considering its still really strong) and not everything is solidified in side elements of the story. I will say that its worth it to keep going as its probably one of the most epic manga ever and Guts is one of those characters who has earned the right to be edgy. Oh and Guts is not a character you will complain about getting through life easy, fights either, once you get a bit farther.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Only fitting my first post is in Manga OT. You all need to read this gem.

Kodomo wa Wakatte Agenai

quote]

Oozing with childlike innocence and humorous references of Japan anime/manga culture, this manga tells a light-hearted story revolving around our 2 students and further supported by a fun-loving cast that mingle effortlessly with their natural interactions. Bonus point, the big "brother" is transgender woman and a well-done characterization.

How did 7SEEDs end anyway?

I thought the ending was great, most loose end resolves including character internal struggles.

Oct 25, 2017
After hearing from so many people that Black Clover is the next big shonen since the Anime started, I decided to read the manga....

Boy was I disappointed, this really feels like the most generic stuff I have read in years, really not seeing what some people find good about it.

On the opposite side I started reading the Made in Abyss manga after watching the Anime and now I feel double sadness because I hit the end of the Anime and the Manga
Made in Abyss would have worked better as a novel for me, the animes only highlight was its music to me and the creative world but I didnt like some of the things in did with the characters and some of the out of touch/place comedy moments. Also as a manga I felt it was kind of limited by page restrictions that wouldnt be in place with text.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone makes a Hunter x Hunter OT sooner than later. Then again if Togashi actually returns before the end of the year like he promised that would be nice too.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Made in Abyss would have worked better as a novel for me, the animes only highlight was its music to me and the creative world but I didnt like some of the things in did with the characters and some of the out of touch/place comedy moments. Also as a manga I felt it was kind of limited by page restrictions that wouldnt be in place with text.

I agree to an extent, I also think the whole premise of Made in Abyss would work fantastically for a novel.
But just the stunning world art made it okay as a manga for me.

And yes the Anime was driven by the amazing soundtrack

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first couple volumes are arguably the weakest since we have no back story yet to justify Guts insane rage and hatred, the art is at its most basic (which is amazing considering its still really strong) and not everything is solidified in side elements of the story. I will say that its worth it to keep going as its probably one of the most epic manga ever and Guts is one of those characters who has earned the right to be edgy. Oh and Guts is not a character you will complain about getting through life easy, fights either, once you get a bit farther.
Yeah, I kinda get that. It feels strange considering every time I see a review for the first two volumes, the person in question seems to be gushing about the franchise as a whole and not the actual material in the books. Also the actual art is like... technically impressive, but there are so many instances when a two page spread is just so busy that it just feels like noise, hence the pacing remark.

I look forward to it getting better, and I'm sure Guts improves over time, but it's such a rocky start to what I see applauded at every turn.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I kinda get that. It feels strange considering every time I see a review for the first two volumes, the person in question seems to be gushing about the franchise as a whole and not the actual material in the books. Also the actual art is like... technically impressive, but there are so many instances when a two page spread is just so busy that it just feels like noise, hence the pacing remark.

I look forward to it getting better, and I'm sure Guts improves over time, but it's such a rocky start to what I see applauded at every turn.

Its got nearly 40 volumes and been running longer than the Game of Thrones books. Miura has evolved an amazing amount as an artist and writer over that time. You're about to hit the Golden Age, you'll know it when you see it, and that's when Berserk really takes off as a story.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll likely re-read the selected masterworks of Junji Ito again. I have a few other Horror manga volumes I've yet to open, so those should be a priority.
Also, as some of you know, I have 18 volumes of Harta to read... so... yeah.

I'm hoping the anthology anime based on his works turns out great. A lot of his stuff could probably come off as silly or corny if not adapted with just right.

Oct 25, 2017
Shuudan 15 & 16
DNAhOgtW0AAOoo6.jpg:small

Kids sports series are also good too, especially when the ace loses his focus for a bit. Good one from Soushi and the others for picking up Roku slack. 16 was a bit scary because it almost made me think its ending, why else put all this Roku development. I hope Im wrong.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm hoping the anthology anime based on his works turns out great. A lot of his stuff could probably come off as silly or corny if not adapted with just right.
I had that OT reserved on the last site. I better do that again somehow.
I'm very concerned about it. Feel like it'll give Itou a bad name to all those that only watch anime, if it's done incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.