• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Coming January 28th to all countries world wide except for China and South Korea for some reason:
In 2014, Shueisha first launched Shonen Jump+, an online platform in Japanese that sells e-book versions of Jump manga titles as well as a digital version of Weekly Shonen Jump that can be read on mobile devices. The site allows users to read a large sample of Jump manga for free, and also serializes a number of original titles separate from the print magazine, including ēlDLIVE and DARLING in the FRANXX.

Meanwhile, in North America, popular Jump titles like My Hero Academia consistently top best-selling lists for graphic novels. From 2013 to 2018, Viz Media published a digital version of Weekly Shonen Jump, releasing new English chapters simultaneously with the Japanese magazine, and last December they launched a new website giving subscribers access to over 70 catalog titles.

However, this will not be the only means through which the latest Jump chapters will be available digitally from now on. Shueisha is launching a global version of Shonen Jump+ on January 28, called MANGA Plus. Not only will the site and app provide simultaneous releases of popular serialized titles like One Piece, it will also be available in every country except China and South Korea. The app will also be completely free, like the Japanese version of Shonen Jump+ currently is.

More at the link including details about the service:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fe...-to-know-about-manga-plus-by-shueisha/.142401

Its good there will be a worldwide app, which was a problem before for countries that didn't have access to the Viz app.

English version will be available at launch, Spanish languages hopefully in February with others to follow.

Jump over me if old.

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have as much back catalog as the VIZ app (which makes sense considering that's paid), but it has pretty much the same ongoing mangas plus some extra ones from the other Jump magazines.

The main difference: it's available worldwide and for free! Plus it will have a version in spanish in february-march.

Ongoing series

Completed Series

Web version: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/updates
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1442476536
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.shueisha.mangaplus

Oct 25, 2017
Many series in it have missing backlogs, so you get the first 6-8 chapters of a series then then newest 6 chapters. so for things like BLue Flag, Hinomaru Zumou theres big gaps (200+ chapters).

Most series that are in viz jump and also have massive gaps, since it follows the same conventions, so for people in places that can access viz jump, this mangaplus doesnt give those gap chapters which viz jump gives you.

Hope the backlog for things like BLue Flag and Hinomaru Zumou gets filled in.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like it has a few more series from other Jump divisions, too. I'm already paying for SJ, so probably won't really need this for the few extra series (especially with ads?)

Oct 25, 2017
The reading experience is the most superior thus far and being able to read on the web and online is great.

Also it doesnt let you read offline/download the chapters unlike the viz jump app...

Perhaps this will be good once buying backlog volumes is available. But for now, its real only purpose is for reading simulpub chapters tbh.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it has a few more series from other Jump divisions, too. I'm already paying for SJ, so probably won't really need this for the few extra series (especially with ads?)
It seems like this is mostly just up for weekly "scans". It only has the three first issues of every comic then the last three or more.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about WSJ even if the majority is it so the title shouldn't just focus on it.. It has Shonen Jump+, Jump SQ and Young Jump as well, and probably more content for other magazines of Shueisha will be added.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Been flirting with getting the Jump app, but I think I might use this instead.

Sounds great. What's the catch?

Manga Plus has more series that you can read the most recent 3 chapters for free (and first 3-6) and is available in more regions. The negative is that you'll have to pay for backlog chapters or volumes.

Viz Shonen Jimp has less series but still offers the same free most recent 3 chapters (and first 3-6). Viz however is a subscription model that lets you read any back log series for about $2 a month.

Manga Plus will be better if you are current with a lot of series and read weekly

Viz Jump will be better if you want to marathon series or don't like reading week to week.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The iOS app is a lot smoother than the shonen jump. Though the big downside of this app besides backlog, is that on mobile and tablet you can't have double page.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
So happy I get to read Hinomaru Sumo and Renaissance David officially. I'll buy the volumes digitally to support them too!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Looks to use the same or similar res/quality to Viz's weekly releases, and the horizontal reading mode doesn't actually show pages side by side, which is a bummer. And yes, this obviously uses the Viz translations for series that are currently being translated by them.

Still, not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth, especially with all these new series. I'm also glad I can read Jigoluraku in an app now instead of a browser.

Oct 26, 2017
Your wish shall be granted...
xCL8NZM.gif

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Image quality is actually a decent bit worse than the SJ app, notice the artifacting around the text.

t9NhHG9.jpg

B2RjY9S.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Other thing I noticed is that this has lower system requirements than the newest SJ app, meaning I can install it on my 2017 Fire HD8 that's still based on Android 5.X.

Oct 25, 2017
I do love that at least for the Curtain's Up, I'm Off series that they are getting stuff that isnt actually in english. hopefully they continue to focus on stuff that isnt being done elsewhere.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
How can this be free? is there any in-app purchase or VIP mode or something?
There are some in-app ads that link to Viz's site but that's it. No actual IAP yet, and I have a hard time thinking what they'd do for that. Maybe a different vault subscription that gives you a bunch of series that aren't in the SJ one?

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
It's pretty crazy that we have some obscure jump+ exclusive series on here, with all of the chapters already translated. Feels like Christmas. Assuming they plan on adding more of the smaller manga that don't have existing translations yet (fan or official), this app is a game changer

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Even though I'm getting error messages for them, it's nice to see HxH and JoJo's on there.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason for this might also just be a brand image thing. They want to get people off of Godawful scanlations even if it means being a loss leader.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
It has all of Hell's Paradise on there and doesn't crash if I touch something wrong so far (Edit: nevermind this shit broke). Guess I'll be using this instead of the Shonen Jump app for current titles.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
According to Caleb Cook, translator for MHA and others, there are plans to sell digital volumes within the app, just like Viz.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How this actually works?
Is totally free?
You pays for chapter, or a monthly subscription ?

Sounds too good to be true

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't know how viz works

So, if I am a "weekly" reader this is a treasure (I just found The One Piece)

If you're a weekly reader it would come down to preference in website/app navigation and which series are on what service. Viz seems to have higher quality scans, manga plus has more series.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're a weekly reader it would come down to preference in website/app navigation and which series are on what service. Viz seems to have higher quality scans, manga plus has more series.
Viz is locked in my region

I assume the translation is the same for this app and with the viz one?