• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

So if you own this on Xbox One you can upgrade for free on November 10 for the Series X|S version. The timed next-gen stuff is weird but cool for those who have it on Xbox or have yet to play this good puzzle game.

Update: Clarification on exclusivity

Thought I'd post this in the OP as the exclusivity has been questioned but it's been clarified in the thread by the Manifold Garden producer. This decision was based on the small team having to prioritise. This wasn't a business deal, just what the team tackled first by choice due to the size of the team.

Hey! We weren't offered any money. This was just a decision because of limited resources and only having five people working full time on the team.

Update #2: Further information on exclusivity, PS5 upgrade, additional upgrade info

Hey all, just a few last bullet points here to help clear things up. I appreciate all the questions and discussion about the game! The Xbox Series X version of Manifold is something I was the project lead on and I'm super passionate about it. I can't wait until next week when we have footage and more details to show.

• We can't talk about the business realities such as why we're on Xbox first vs PlayStation, who authored what language, etc. I can however be clear - no deal was signed, nor money changed hands, regarding a next-gen upgrade policy. We were working on the Series X|S version, and it was ready for launch (in fact, it's already live for anyone with the hardware as of today.) No conspiracy theories here.
  • The fact that our PlayStation answer is "stay tuned" comes from us, not any of our business partners. We don't want to talk about things until we have details and an announcement ready.
  • While the contents of it may be redundant for many on this forum who keep up to date with how these programs work, we put together an FAQ about the Xbox console upgrade process in relation to Manifold Garden, as well as the Series X|S versions of the game, that you can find here. Again, hardcore industry followers aren't necessarily the target audience, but you can hopefully find something of value there!

Xbox Series X|S Console Upgrade FAQ

Xbox Series X|S Console Upgrade FAQ

Hello Gardeners! In case you haven't heard the exciting news, _Manifold Garden_ is going to be a launch title for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on November 10, 2020. Even better, existing o...

Last edited:

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the developer making that tweet realizes what kind of negative connotations "timed exclusive" has.

My prediction is this may be a Yakuza Like A Dragon situation. Where no one is actually explicitly money-hatting the game. But the way the chips are falling, the developer may simply be prioritizing the Xbox version of the next-gen upgrade. And not being actively paid to delay another console's upgrade.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the developer making that tweet realizes what kind of negative connotations "timed exclusive" has.

My prediction is this may be a Yakuza Like A Dragon situation. Where no one is actually explicitly money-hatting the game. But the way the chips are falling, the developer may simply be prioritizing the Xbox version of the next-gen upgrade. And not being actively paid to delay another console's upgrade.

lmao

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that both Microsoft and Sony are guilty of this dumb temporary exclusivity moneyhatting.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, where is the evidence that Like a dragon wasn't moneyhatted?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
will people finally admit that there are next-gen temp exclusive upgrades finally? the mental gymnastics around Yakuza 7 were quite the sight to see

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

Yeah right, Yakuza is prioritizing an Xbox console of all things to upgrade without any financial incentive... that's probably what happened for sure.

giphy.gif

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I think it's a Microsoft policy now that games are described as such when they are. They have been super clear about this on all of their titles for the last few years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Phil "I don't like exclusives except when we get them" Spencer putting in work, yet again.

Hey! We weren't offered any money. This was just a decision because of limited resources and only having five people working full time on the team.

And I'm wrong seconds later. Sorry, Syrenne!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Timed exclusive for an old game no one cares about it's weird, like really weird.

I can understand Yakuza 7 since it's new, but this?

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Waring; History of Platform Waring
I think it's a Microsoft policy now that games are described as such when they are. They have been super clear about this on all of their titles for the last few years.

Yakuza was so clear the whole time, Microsoft must be the one pushing for this kind of transparency as there was never any doubt about what was happening with that game's exclusivity arrangement, right?

giphy.gif

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And I'm wrong seconds later. Sorry, Syrenne!

No worries! As soon as I saw the thread I was like "oh wait people probably think this was a business transaction."

Nope! We're very excited about the Series X|S version of the game, but we shipped on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Switch earlier this year, and are out on Steam next week. This is just a resource decision.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

Then why market it as a timed-exclusive and not just say "we will be able to do Xbox at launch and are working on other platforms as soon as we're able"?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No worries! As soon as I saw the thread I was like "oh wait people probably think this was a business transaction."

Nope! We're very excited about the Series X|S version of the game, but we shipped on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Switch earlier this year, and are out on Steam next week. This is just a resource decision.
Thanks for setting the record straight. Are there plans for a PS5 upgrade in the future?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It seems weird to describe it as a Timed Exclusive if there was no deal in place to prioritize that version of the others. Just say you're working on upgrades and the upgrade for Xbox is first up.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring
You didn't even bother to read the thread.

Some of you are constatly looking for drama.
I have actually, and that's not what "temporary exclusive" tells us, in spite of the now damage control.

I mean..
See below.

They can't even TALK about the PS5 patch, lol.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's the case in this situation, but I think a lot of people confuse "a game being available first on one platform" with "moneyhatting." Sometimes dev kits are/aren't available, sometimes the studio's work bandwidth is only enough for one iteration at a time, and sometimes the strategy of marketing one release at a time makes more sense anyway. Sometimes it *is* a co-marketing thing, and that's not the end of the world; That's at least a publisher/platform helping with the resources behind the game's promotion.

You can pretty much tell if there's a co-marketing deal based on how silly answers to questions about other versions are. It's clear (but polite) if the dev says something like "please stay tuned."

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I have actually, and that's not what "temporary exclusive" tells us, in spite of the now damage control.

"damage control" LMFAO

Get a fucking grip with this bullshit, you have a developer explaining that there was no money involved and you are right here trying to pretend that they are lying

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You dont have to explain anything. I hope you dont take any of the replies here seriously for your own sanity. Good luck with your game.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
i was going to say the timed exclusive is because the studio (you guys) are really small and can't afford give free upgrade to everyone... thanks for claryfing

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to have an actual producer come in here and set the record straight before the rage began. That's much appreciated.