• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Immersive sim of the below is your favorite this generation?

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Votes: 156 20.3%
  • Dishonored 2

Votes: 195 25.4%
  • Prey

Votes: 303 39.5%
  • All of the above!

Votes: 98 12.8%
  • None of the above (Please elaborate).

Votes: 15 2.0%

• Total voters

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Prey, followed by Dishonored 2 and then Deus Ex.

I still need to both Prey Mooncrash and Dishonored Death of the Outsider tho.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Prey.

Deus Ex wasn't anywhere near as good as it should have been, and Dishonoured 2 has some of the worst input lag of this gen...

Prey on the other hand was an utter joy to play for me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Prey leaned into its immersive sim roots and influences more than it does. The only solution for most enemy encounters boils down to combat which is the worst part of that game.

Mankind Divided is by far the closest thing we've gotten to classic Looking Glass game design
I disagree. Stealth, evasion, traps, using the station to your advantage were all as viable, if not more so than combat. Direct combat always seemed like just a tool in your arsenal, rather than your main way of dealing with enemies

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Prey is so diverse and nothing gets old. Mankind Divided really doesn't work as an action game. DH2 is better then MD as an action game, but enemy variations are small. Prey is more than stealth or action. It's stealth or action or controlling machines vs life forms, etc. I love multi-pathed leveling systems.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's weird but I actually dropped dishonored 2 :S couldn't finish it and found myself beyond bored. Which is insane for me because i absolutely loved dishonored 1. The second one just did not grab me

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Prey arguably has the best designed setting in this entire generation, maybe even one of the best of all time. That the station's design is so utilitarian rather than feeling like it was designed to be a game environment is incredible on its own. That the entire place is completely laid out from exterior to interior, fully traversable and logically interconnected, each area feeling like lived-in viable locations with their own stories, was amazing. There was much thought and careful architectural design put into every inch of that station. It honestly might be my favorite setting of all sci-fi games, with SOMA's Pathos and Tacoma's station close behind

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 plays the best and has the most interesting leveldesign but Prey is by far my favourite. The music, the atmosphere, the abilities and weapons you get, the story of the station it all just clicks for me.
Mankind Divided was good too but didn't do much for me overall

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
What did you do for 144 hours in Prey??
I should have mentioned that 26 hours was from Mooncrash.

For the base campaign, my first playthrough took too long because I played very cautiously. I'm a total wimp when it comes to horror elements and it was a struggle to muster up enough courage to enter new areas. The second playthrough on Nightmare difficulty was to chase down achievements so that took me a while too.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've played them all and have not finished any of them. I got the furthest in Prey, but I also hit a point near the end game where is was basically impossible for me to progress due to lack of ammo, so that pissed me off. I enjoyed what I played of Mankind Divided, but I wasn't really enjoying the story so that's why I dropped that one. Dishonored 2 I probably enjoyed my time with the most, and is the one I'm most likely to return to one day, so I'll go with that. The level design in that game is stunning and I really enjoyed the story as well.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play Prey but between Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex, I choose Deus Ex. Both were very good games though but MD's hub world, story and aesthetic puts it over DH2 for me.

Nov 6, 2017
Prey. What a great game / experience and a new IP.

I had fun with Disonored 2 and there were some really nice things / great gameplay moments (like the level with the 2 time zones), but all in all it felt more like a mission pack for me and not all that fresh and new.
DeusEx MD was a big disappointment that ended abruptly after ~50% of the story.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago

I had fun with Disonored 2 and there were some really nice things / great gameplay moments (like the level with the 2 time zones), but all in all it felt more like a mission pack for me and not all that fresh and new.

Wasn't Prey (2017) a reboot of the already existing Prey (2006) IP? I know there was a massive overhaul between the features present betweem the two games, but still.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017

I keep seeing this again and again but I don't understand how anyone could spend nearly 15 hours finishing just main story (which is the average playtime on howlongtobeat - not even counting side missions/extras), have a pretty telegraphed last level and think the game is half complete.

As an aside, Dishonored is highly revered and considered an evolution of immersive sims by many but I have to say while I do enjoy the series and appreciate that it exists, it hasn't really clicked as the successor to old Deus Ex with me. Looking forward to Prey though. Mooncrash sounds like a great expansion.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Deus Ex easily even though the game felt unfinished towards the end. Prey bored me to tears and I couldn't even finish dishonored 2

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
Prey got slept on hard by many many people so im glad its getting the recognition it deserves. The more people experience it the better.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
I didn't like how Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had microtransactions or how Dishonored 2 (and its standalone expansion) and Prey (2017) had Denuvo DRM implemented and Dishonored 2 myriad of performance related issues.

I liked Prey and Dishonored 2 but due to the recent (more so two months ago) removal of Denuvo in Dishonored 2. I would have to pick that option.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Prey by a mile.

It's in my top 10 of all-time, should say enough.

This right here, folks.

As an aside, Dishonored is highly revered and considered an evolution of immersive sims by many but I have to say while I do enjoy the series and appreciate that it exists, it hasn't really clicked as the torch bearer to old Deus Ex with me. Looking forward to Prey though. Mooncrash sounds like a great expansion.

I never really thought of Dishonored as a Deus Ex successor. Dishonored doesn't have quite the mechanical depth that the Deus Ex series or Prey has. I would say it is less focused on the RPG side and more on the action/stealth side. It still ticks all the boxes you need to be in the immersive sim sub-genre.

May 26, 2018
Prey! D2 had a few great levels but wasn't anywhere near as cohesive as Prey. And honestly I don't remember much of D2 outside the cool twisty turny mansion. Adored the original and its expansion pack though.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dishonored 2 easily, I'm still playing it to this day. Not really a fan of Prey and Mankind Divided was extremely disappointing to say the least.

Really excited for Arkane Lyon and Arkane Austin's new projects, though.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonred 2 + Death of outsider is the better experience.

But Prey has higher ups but also more problems.

My heart is torn.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dishonored 2 offers the most complete package. Prey has some incredible highs and some lows. DE is a good continuation to HR that is letdown by an incomplete story. Had we gotten a sequel to it quickly people would feel differently about it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always surprised by how much people love Prey. It's subject and atmosphere were absolutely up my alley, but I just found the enemies and combat so clunky and repetitive.

Would certainly be dishonored 2 for me - DE:MD was a huge disappointment, really smacked of a rush job (publisher, not developer)

TAYREL713

Oct 30, 2017
Dishonored 2. I spent over 200 ours in that game. Beat it every way possible and when I found out they added a Black and White Mode recently I started again.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dishonored 2 because Emily's moveset is great. With Prey, for my playstyle I was kinda forced into getting the slow-mo stuff for combat.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I only played Prey,I love it,much better than I expected.
Mankind I have by PSN Plus,but it's in my backlog.
Always wanted to play Dishonored 2,I played Definitive Edition of the first game on PS4 and like it,but didn't love it.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I have all three games, only finished dishonored 2 but didn't even find it incredible.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Dishonored 2.

Prey overstayed its welcome with the backtracking, and the sneak attack not having enough of a damage boost to make stealth kills viable really made me hate the game by the end.

Mankind Divided is nice but its too short.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Prey > Dishonored 2 > Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

Love Prey and Dishonored 2, played thru those games several times (and their Steelbook cases are on magnets on my wall), but didn't really care much for Mankind Divided as I felt the story and cast were extremely forgettable and Prague didn't feel cyberpunk-ish enough which I expect from a Deus Ex game.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I played Dishonored 2 (+ all DLCs) and Deus Ex MD, both at launch. I thought both were decent but subpar compared to Dishonored 1 or Deus Ex. I guess Dishonored 2 was a bit more interesting and immersive but ultimately I'd say both games were mostly disappointing for different reasons.

Deus Ex started off super strong, Prague was an amazing city. It just felt incomplete by the end, and the whole game being in mostly one location was weak especially when you remember how many cool locations the previous Deus Ex had. The writing was just off too sometimes, the story never felt quite as interesting and a bit more forced in the "THESE GUYS ARE LIKE SLAVES, DO YOU GET IT". Of course Detroit Human came around a year later to show them how to REALLY do bad writing.

Dishonored 2 made the mistake of letting you play as either Emily or Kadwen, they really should have just focused on one. Yes, it fits a nice checkbox to say you can play as either but it dilutes the story and impact when you do that. I don't know why so many games now try to do this whole "we created 2 games in one! Your choice!" Most people only choose one path and never see the second and now you've spent a ton of dev hours on something few people see. Which is fine, except the game feels a lot shorter and less satisfying. I did both play throughs in D2 and appreciated it but I would have preferred a single, longer story. You tend to rush through on your second run too since its 80% the same stuff, and repetition is not something you want in a game.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I disagree. Stealth, evasion, traps, using the station to your advantage were all as viable, if not more so than combat. Direct combat always seemed like just a tool in your arsenal, rather than your main way of dealing with enemies
There's very little stealth in Prey. Almost all encounters are designed to lead into combat situations, and setting up turrets/using various gadgets all contributed to that. I tried using Mimic to sneak my way past enemies, which in theory sounds like a viable option if its design ethos is in line with its spiritual predecessors, but it lead to frustration more times than not.

And that's not mentioning the abundance of resources/ammo you have for most of the game. System Shock 2 kinda goes off the rails towards the end as well but there's a tangible survival horror atmosphere and design guiding it for most of the game. I rarely felt a sense of dread (maybe right at the beginning when familiarizing yourself with the setting and enemies) when exploring in Prey.

I would like to do a barebones/Nightmare mode playthrough of Prey some day though and see how balanced it is around that.

Last edited: