• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Not by any metric but okay
Actually, by every metric, he is being overpaid by several million a year.

MANNY MACHADO'S CALCULATED MARKET VALUE

After applying our Prime % figures into our base calculated value, we're given two values. The average of these values becomes our current calculated market value.

TERMS AVG. SALARY 6 years, $160,692,246 or $26,782,041 per year

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/manny-machado-11638/market-value/

The Padres had to overpay in order to get him to sign with them.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Phillies apparently didn't offer machado that much:

Makes you wonder if they are willing to match that for Harper now?

Planx

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair Machado wants to get paid like he plays SS and almost all the other big names recently have been outfielders, whose value is a bit less than SS. 140 OPS+ at SS is worth more than 140 OPS+ at any OF position. He's setting a market that hasn't seen a player like him in a long time

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
*slowly puts on Padres cap for the first time in years*

aside: fuck the padres

sports.png

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
To be fair Machado wants to get paid like he plays SS and almost all the other big names recently have been outfielders, whose value is a bit less than SS. 140 OPS+ at SS is worth more than 140 OPS+ at any OF position. He's setting a market that hasn't seen a player like him in a long time
That's fair, but even when you compare him to a player like Jose Altuve who is also playing infield, he is making more than him per year while having a fair less impressive OPS and WAR over the last 2-3 seasons. There's nothing wrong with saying Machado was overpaid since the stats point towards he was, however with that being said, a player receives whatever the market is willing to pay him so, in that sense, he got the money he deserved.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
That's fair, but even when you compare him to a player like Jose Altuve who is also playing infield, he is making more than him per year while having a fair less impressive OPS and WAR over the last 2-3 seasons. There's nothing wrong with saying Machado was overpaid since the stats point towards he was, however with that being said, a player receives whatever the market is willing to pay him so, in that sense, he got the money he deserved.
Altuve signed an extension which almost always is less than open market value, he is older, he still got the same AAV as Machado.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Altuve signed an extension which almost always is less than open market value, he is older, he still got the same AAV as Machado.
Well yeah, the open market is almost always going to be more lucrative for a player but if you judge the contracts of Machado and Altuve on their own you can either make the argument that Altuve is underpaid or Machado is overpaid, either way it's saying something about Machado's contract.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

That's an interesting perspective on it. Seems to calculate the value In more of a vacuum without factoring as many outside
market forces, no? A 6 year deal for absolute exact market value might be the ideal for teams, but it seems most of them know you are going to eat a couple of down years at the end of any long term contract. Like yeah Manny won't likely be worth $30 million in years 7-10, but it's made up for it by outplaying the contract in the first few years.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Good move for the Padres on a baseball and marketing standpoint.

They have a lot of up and coming kids that they aren't really paying a whole lot who they are hoping come into their own.

Having a solid veteran presence like Machado could help so long as he doesn't mind having the carry the team for a bit. San Diego though I doubt is going to have the most rabid fanbase that will harp on him if he doesn't always perform up to snuff. Not like if he came to New York or Philly at least.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting perspective on it. Seems to calculate the value In more of a vacuum without factoring as many outside
market forces, no? A 6 year deal for absolute exact market value might be the ideal for teams, but it seems most of them know you are going to eat a couple of down years at the end of any long term contract. Like yeah Manny won't likely be worth $30 million in years 7-10, but it's made up for it by outplaying the contract in the first few years.
Yeah but the DH is almost assuredly being implemented in the NL in 2021 so you can put hi there if his defensive value declined

Redrow

Oct 28, 2017
They have the dumbest manager in the fucking major league. Roberts is the only manager who would sit the best left handed hitters in Boston over some guy that was like .080 in the October. Shit if you're rolling hot he'll sit your ass down
Back2back NL West Champs / WS with Seager hurt in the second run. Others would kill to be in that position. Yet its the "dumbest manager" yada yada. I don't get it.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, the open market is almost always going to be more lucrative for a player but if you judge the contracts of Machado and Altuve on their own you can either make the argument that Altuve is underpaid or Machado is overpaid, either way it's saying something about Machado's contract.

altuve had a pretty big drop off last season. going forward i would take the 26 year old machado over the 28 year old altuve. i think they're both paid appropriately. machado started his clock earlier so he gets the benefit of the massive FA payday instead of just getting an extension.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Back2back NL West Champs / WS with Seager hurt in the second run. Others would kill to be in that position. Yet its the "dumbest manager" yada yada. I don't get it.
I don't even mind that we lost to the Red Sox last year. They're just a fucking stacked team and we got beat.

Absolutely should've beaten the Astros 2 years ago though, and that shit is on Roberts. I could see AT HOME that Darvish was tipping his pitches for several games. Totally ridiculous that he couldn't see that.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to what that other guy said about it being an extension, a good bat at 2B is also less valuable than SS. 2B is worth about the same as CF and 3B, defensively.
https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/war/positional-adjustment/

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In addition to what that other guy said about it being an extension, a good bat at 2B is also less valuable than SS. 2B is worth about the same as CF and 3B, defensively.

he's a 3b (and i assume they'll play him there, because that's where he's great) but the point still stands because machado's defense at 3rd is superior to altuve's defense at 2nd. altuve provides some nice positional value but his actual defense there is meh. machado is spectacular at 3rd.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
The hell did this money come from? Been a Padres fan since what.. 1985. Let me guess, this is more than the Pads invested in Kevin Brown, Steve Finley, Ken Caminiti, and Greg Vaughn combined for the 1998 season.

Greg Vaughn $5,275,000.00
Kevin Brown $4,935,000.00
Andy Ashby $4,125,000.00
Tony Gwynn $4,050,000.00
Wally Joyner $3,750,000.00
Ken Caminiti $3,500,000.00
Steve Finley $3,400,000.00

Yup. It's more than the combined salaries if the 7 highest paid players that season.

Last edited:

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
he's a 3b (and i assume they'll play him there, because that's where he's great) but the point still stands because machado's defense at 3rd is superior to altuve's defense at 2nd. altuve provides some nice positional value but his actual defense there is meh. machado is spectacular at 3rd.
Yeah he's one of the best defensive 3B, but some are making the assumption that his SS play last year wasn't as good as what he'd do once he's fully accustomed to the position. If he can post positive defensive play at SS his WAR would be higher there than his GG-caliber 3B play

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
If you look at Machado's advanced fielding stats, he's actually a better 3B than SS, so that would place him and Altuve's worth around the same according to that. Time will tell if he can adjust and perform as well at SS.

I agree years 1-6 will ultimately be fair price but years 7-10 are going to be a killer for the Padres and they'll be stuck in a similar situation as the Tigers with Cabrera and the Angels with Pujols. I'm curious to see what Harper signs for to really judge this deal further.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The hell did this money come from? Been a Padres fan since what.. 1985. Let me guess, this is more than the Pads invested in Kevin Brown, Steve Finley, Ken Caminiti, and Greg Vaughn combined for the 1998 season.

Greg Vaughn $5,275,000.00
Kevin Brown $4,935,000.00
Andy Ashby $4,125,000.00
Tony Gwynn $4,050,000.00
Wally Joyner $3,750,000.00
Ken Caminiti $3,500,000.00
Steve Finley $3,400,000.00

Yup. It's more than the combined salaries if the 7 highest paid players that season.

1. Baseball generates more revenue now than it did in the 1990s. Revenue approximately tripled from 1998 until now.
2. Inflation from 1998 to 2019 has been 54.4%. 29 million in 1998 dollars would be equivalent to 45 million dollars today.

Edit: Fixed the year, added some details.

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah he's one of the best defensive 3B, but some are making the assumption that his SS play last year wasn't as good as what he'd do once he's fully accustomed to the position. If he can post positive defensive play at SS his WAR would be higher there than his GG-caliber 3B play

unlikely that he'd be worth more, because his defense at short is pretty crappy, and that's a position you grow out of, not grow into. he;ll only get worse there. his defense at 3rd is still worth more than his defense at short.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you look at Machado's advanced fielding stats, he's actually a better 3B than SS, so that would place him and Altuve's worth around the same according to that. Time will tell if he can adjust and perform as well at SS.

why would the padres put him at short? i'm assuming he'll be at 3rd. is tatis supposed to have to move off short?

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
1. Baseball generates more revenue now than it did in the 1990s. Revenue approximately tripled from 1998 until now.
2. Inflation from 1985 to 2019 has been 54.4%. 29 million would be equivalent 47 million dollars today.

Edit: Fixed the year, added some details.

I understand 20 years of inflation. But in 1998 the Pads had a 45 million dollar team salary. In 2017 they had a 33 million dollar team salary. They peaked in 2015 with a 120 million. No other year has even come close to that. The Pads have consistently been in the bottom handful of teams in salary. Suddenly they fork over the largest single contract in American sports history? It's a bit wild for someone who's been following them for the last 34 years.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I understand 20 years of inflation. But in 1998 the Pads had a 45 million dollar team salary. In 2017 they had a 33 million dollar team salary. They peaked in 2015 with a 120 million. No other year has even come close to that. The Pads have consistently been in the bottom handful of teams in salary. Suddenly they fork over the largest single contract in American sports history? It's a bit wild for someone who's been following them for the last 34 years.

This is Padresing!

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017

john moores was cheap as shit.
jeff moorad was cash poor and should've never been allowed to buy the team.
in 2014 the team was worth $780m. now they're worth $1.2bn.
they've had money. everyone has money.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
john moores was cheap as shit.
jeff moorad was cash poor and should've never been allowed to buy the team.
in 2014 the team was worth $780m. now they're worth $1.2bn.
they've had money. everyone has money.

Yikes. Cheap bastards indeed. Combined with the constant trading away of all-star capable prospects it has been a painful existence.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Lots of money for someone who publicly stated that he doesn't like to hustle. It's also obvious Machado only cares about the money.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is his livelihood. Whats wrong with caring about the money?

Most athletes want to win, too. It's not just about the money. He went to an awful team, though, and his comments in LA said a lot.

Given how much he's previously made and that he was offered $250 million from what I heard...I don't think his livelihood was at stake. I think he'll be okay financially and would've been just fine

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Most athletes want to win, too. It's not just about the money. He went to an awful team, though, and his comments in LA said a lot.

1) the Padres are not "awful". At least not on paper. They have a lot to look forward too and build upon besides Machado.
2) why can't he want to win and also care about what everybody else cares about when it comes to their job: Making money and being paid their worth? He should go to a city/team that values him less? Why?

This is such a lazy, tired, "guy at the end of the bar who calls in to NY sports radio" tier argument. Like athletes are the one group who are not allowed to take the most amount of money offered.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
what a glorious day in Padres history. a guy is "just about money" after he signs with my San Diego Padres. this is wonderful.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
LMAO no way is Machado that good. Dude is laughing all the way to the bank with that contract.

The second half of that contract is going to be disastrous.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Sent to San Diego to die. Hope the Padres can be an exciting team this season, but they're still missing too many pieces. They'll just be fodder. Manny loves playing with shit. Baltimore and San Diego. What a pairing. LA must have seemed like a wet dream until they got bounced.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Losing Machado will hurt LA no doubt, if he cared about the playoffs maybe he would have chose someone else, maybe he got tired in the negotiations and forced a deal with the highest bidder.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Losing Machado will hurt LA no doubt, if he cared about the playoffs maybe he would have chose someone else, maybe he got tired in the negotiations and forced a deal with the highest bidder.

If Seager comes back healthy they won't really miss him. It's why he was never going to be more than a rental for the Dodgers. They never had any intention of resigning him.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many years until they are desperately trying to unload him and his salary.....

10 years is a long time......

He can opt out after 5. By then MLB will be under a new CBA that hopefully rewards vets back out on the market. He'd still be well in his prime at 31, so he could easily line up an even bigger contract at that point.

Plus I have a feeling he's going to have a limited NTC that includes teams he wanted to go to now, but they weren't in the bidding (Yankees, Dodgers).