• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now PC building is also dependent on how we vote in the future. Not the most urgent thing but wholly annoying for people who've waited for fairer prices during the card shortages.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First the Ram shortage, then the mining craze, followed by the Intel 14nm manufacturing problems and nvidia ramping up GPU prices. Now this.

A strange time for this industry indeed.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
If the last four years have taught us anything, it's that the usual suspects will find a woman to blame.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
I m getting some perverse pleasure from this. A lot of people only change once they are negatively impacted by something.

Bring on the stupid trade wars. Where the average american gets burned as usual while the rich prosper. American capitalism.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I assume this only effects the US?

It's mentioned in the video -- manufacturers will likely increase prices worldwide to compensate for the lower volume sales in the US due to the tariffs in order to stabilize their revenue stream. What it affects, how much it affects it, etc, remains to be seen of course. So there will likely be some repercussions felt in other parts of the world.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will band together and just wait until 2021 to release new consoles and save a few hundred million dollars.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Hmm... Maybe I should buy that new rig + monitor as Christmas present for myself instead waiting further into Spring. Just in case this shitshow ripples into pricing in Finland.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Will this affect stuff thats already out there and available? Or is it just stuff that's manufactured after the fact? I dont know how these things work.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Will this affect stuff thats already out there and available? Or is it just stuff that's manufactured after the fact? I dont know how these things work.

If stuff is in the country already and in warehouses it wont be affected by these tariffs, but all future products will see hikes in prices as importing them gets more expensive. So there should be small delay between now and when prices start to hike up.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017

He covers this a bit in the video. Short answer is that each company is going to handle it differently, and it depends a lot on circumstance.

The tariff is paid when a product is shipped into the US from China. Thus, if a company has a massive stockpile of product in a warehouse, they aren't going to suddenly get a tariff slapped on them. Any new products imported will be. Thus, an "ideal" way would be if a company could stockpile as much as they could before the tariff date, and then sell that larger stock for as long as they can. Once they start running out and need to order more product, then that new shipment would get hit by the tariff, and that's when it's likely to have the price increased. This is where the circumstance part comes in, because not every company has a massive warehouse they could do this in. However, there's nothing stopping a company from putting that tariff increase on products before they're truly "impacted".

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
He covers this a bit in the video. Short answer is that each company is going to handle it differently, and it depends a lot on circumstance.

The tariff is paid when a product is shipped into the US from China. Thus, if a company has a massive stockpile of product in a warehouse, they aren't going to suddenly get a tariff slapped on them. Any new products imported will be. Thus, an "ideal" way would be if a company could stockpile as much as they could before the tariff date, and then sell that larger stock for as long as they can. Once they start running out and need to order more product, then that new shipment would get hit by the tariff, and that's when it's likely to have the price increased. This is where the circumstance part comes in, because not every company has a massive warehouse they could do this in. However, there's nothing stopping a company from putting that tariff increase on products before they're truly "impacted".
Oooh. Thanks for the answers, yall. Hope things work out for me because I was planning on building a PC but would have to wait till next year.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
So, is anyone tired of all the winning yet?

What's interesting is that it doesn't impact laptops... with how desktop PC sales have already been plummeting I wonder if this will just push more people to notebooks. Pretty bad for the gaming market.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Do these prices impact the BOM for Microsoft or Sony planning next gen machines?

I would imagine they'd just plan to have everything assembled in Taiwan instead. That's where the chips are manufactured and the assembly costs aren't going to be a whole lot different between Taiwan and China. With any planning at all, this is easily bypassed.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
I am looking at this from this angle : PC users from many countries outside US like ours (Turkey) buys pc parts etc. from international stores like amazon.com from time to time because it comes actually cheaper to buy and pay local tariffs then buy the parts locally (which are also imported directly from asia -as most manufacturers are in asia-) Now if the US prices rise like %15-20 it would make no sense whatsoever for people outside US to import from US as it would probably be the same if not more expensive then local prices. Also when people buy from local retailers we get extended warranty and to be able to pay in installments.

In the end of it, this tariffs will not only hurt us customers but it will also hurt sellers from US as we would have no incentive to buy from there anymore. Thank you Trump.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad feeling US prices aren't going to increase much, it's going to be the rest of the world that ultimately pays for this. I hope it doesn't come to that but it's so easy. For example increase MSRP in US so that a $799 card becomes $879 card and follow that up with ÂŁ799 to ÂŁ879 price increase in UK for example. Convenient..

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor the tariffs were already factored in in RTX 20 series prices? I guess it wasn't true after all.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Going by the video. They all arrive at US ports which is then taxed there. So it looks NA is affected, not just the US.
It's going to be interesting to see if there will be changes tot he current supply chain/shipping structure.

Already there are some manufacturers shifting production to different countries for certain items. I am sure we will see some changes in supply chain for components as well as shipping.

It will certainly be a mess for a few years.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if this will have some impact on the used parts market as well. More demand for 2nd hand everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Good thing I bought all the parts I needed for my new gaming pc last week. Still wasn't cheap but I can only imagine it costing me another $1000 if I had waited.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PC hardware market has been ugly for last year and a half. Looks like another 3 more years of this shit. This would effect Sony and MS? Or because the consoles are not made in China it's okay?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine they'd just plan to have everything assembled in Taiwan instead. That's where the chips are manufactured and the assembly costs aren't going to be a whole lot different between Taiwan and China. With any planning at all, this is easily bypassed.

If they have to limit manufacturing locations, that could easily cause shortages.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)

This is one of the difficulties of the current situation. Starting up a manufacturing process for assembly isn't without costs, and taking on those additional costs is a risk for companies should the tariffs be reduced or eliminated. The lack of consistency and forewarning on decisions relating to trade will cause companies to play conservatively in their decision making process, and the most risk averse action is likely to simply pass the costs of the tariffs on to consumers.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If they have to limit manufacturing locations, that could easily cause shortages.

This is one of the difficulties of the current situation. Starting up a manufacturing process for assembly isn't without costs, and taking on those additional costs is a risk for companies should the tariffs be reduced or eliminated. The lack of consistency and forewarning on decisions relating to trade will cause companies to play conservatively in their decision making process, and the most risk averse action is likely to simply pass the costs of the tariffs on to consumers.

It seems like more of an assembly issue, though. I agree it puts them in an awful position with their current gen, but if they feel this stupidity is going to last, 25 percent is a heck of an incentive to scout out a new assembly location for next-gen.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like more of an assembly issue, though. I agree it puts them in an awful position with their current gen, but if they feel this stupidity is going to last, 25 percent is a heck of an incentive to scout out a new assembly location for next-gen.

Imagine if everyone decides to do the same thing to avoid tariffs. There isn't enough land in Taiwan to have enough factories for everyone to have their manufacturing done there to avoid the US/Chinese tariff war.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PC gamers can't catch a break. First, the mining craze drives GPU prices into the stratosphere, then RAM prices jump up. Now that the GPU prices have stabilized (barring Nvidia's hilariously overpriced 2000 series), these tariffs kick in!

And that's not to mention Intel CPU prices going up because of 14mm shortages.

Microsoft and Sony picked GREAT times to release their mid-gen consoles. It's going to be much more economically sensible to just pick up an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro instead of building a PC. The mid-gen refreshes will increasingly become "good enough" for many people because of cost/performance ratios.

Though, unfortunately, I can also see this affecting consoles as well. Nobody wins! Thanks Trump.

That would work for buyers in Canada and Mexico, but once it hits USA it'd still get hit by the tariff. The country of manufacture is what matters, not what ship/truck delivers it.

Even with the grey market? Like buying from resellers?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RE: consoles: if next-gen consoles are affected, current-gen consoles will too. Likewise, if current-gen isn't affected, neither will next-gen. I'll have to double check whether consoles are included, since the tariffs exclude laptops. I think they might be excluded, as they're a complete product.

As previously pointed out, the tariffs only apply to stock that reaches US ports from today, so any stock that's already on US soil isn't affected. If consoles are affected, I would expect price rises next month and/or February.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Had we ever have tariffs protecting and making a positive change in our history? I'm probably too young to remember any other tariffs, so I don't know if actually having any sort of tariffs is a positive thing.
Tariffs only really help young emerging economies to help get their homegrown production going. It's been known as a bad policy for developed nations in a global market for well over 100 years.

Trump is so conservative he literally believes that the US is the US of the 1800's.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Even with the grey market? Like buying from resellers?

If by reseller you mean an actual business with a storefront, then they're gonna be paying the tariff. If you mean someone who took it across the border as a personal belonging or something and didn't claim it during customs, then sure they might be able to dodge it, but that's smuggling if they did it for the express purpose of selling it in the USA.