• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my read, which is of course is the correct one

- The Matrix. The matrix is forever, the fashion and special effects are definitely early 2000s tho
- Harry Potter. early movies were always dumb. The third movie is cool. Never saw the later ones.
- Lord of the Rings. nah, LOTR is forever
- Pirates of the Caribbean. Never actually that great. first movie is fun
- Spider-man. That's not early 2000s-ness, it's just Raimi cheese
- X-men. Never that great

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about the homophobia and sexism in late 90s early 00 movies. Instead it is complaining about the effects in LOTR and Harry Potter? The movies mentioned in op are still great.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
In all seriousness, of the movie's listed the only ones that have "aged like shit" are ones that you had problems with during the time of their release. First two Harry Potter movies had terrible acting and effects them, Spider-Man was filled with awful effects and NYC post-9/11 fanfare that was embarrassing, and the Matrix sequels and POTC sequels were considered awful then.

Oct 25, 2017
The only harry potter with dodgy looking CGI is the first one but honestly that's only in a few scenes The most notable one being the scene where they play catch with the remember-all.
But some sketchy CGI doesn't mean the entire movie aged like shit my dude.

Cozmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
By the way, y'all disagreeing, have you actually rewatched these movies I'm slamming? Back in their day I enjoyed them like everybody else.
Yes, I rewatched all the Harry Potter movies two years ago, watched all the X-Men movies last year (for the first time) and I rewatch LotR on a yearly basis and they hold up just fine. Some stuff in the early Harry Potter and X-Men movies are kinda bad (but they always were). Spider Man was never great. The Curse of the Black Pearl is still the best pirate movie I've seen. And The Matrix is definitively a very late 90's movie but that's kinda part of what makes it so good. Some of the effect and action scenes are still incredible.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're litteraly listing the early 2000's movies that have aged the best, what the hell

I thought this was gonna be about MI:2 or stuff like that

Oct 27, 2017
I watched part one of fellowship of the ring just last night and was amazed of how good it still looked. Sure the special effects shows some aging but that's understandable, but in no sane mind would I say those movies aged poorly.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
POTC was trash the day it came out.
giphy.webp

giphy.gif

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
LotR is still the greatest trilogy and the amount of practical effects used still makes it look wonderful. There's some iffy CGI now but its fine overall. These movies will always hold up. They'll remake them one day I'm sure though.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
your favourite early 2000s movie
Early 2000s? So 2000 to 2005?
  • Unbreakable
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Memento
  • Sexy beast
  • O Brother Where art thou
  • Snatch
  • In the Mood for Love
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Gladiator
  • American Psycho
  • Spirited Away
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Hero
  • Infernal Affairs
  • Lilo & Stitch
  • Minority Report
  • Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
  • Monster
  • Both Kill Bills
  • Oldboy
  • The Incredibles
  • Sideways
  • Collateral
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Eternal Sunshine
  • SPL
  • A History of Violence
  • Lord of War
  • Thank you for smoking
  • The Protector
  • Capote
  • The Descent
  • Kiss kiss Bang Bang

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Matrix - Maybe? It does have those early 2000s CG but I still think it's a really good movie. It was never a favorite of mine even back then just a lot of fun.
Lord of the Rings - Lol hell no. I watch these all the time due to family being obsessed with them. These movies are great. The CG isn't perfect but that's about it when it comes to aging badly. Everything else is ace.
Pirates of the Caribbean - Movie was never that good.
Spider-man - It's cheesy as fuck but that's pretty much intentional. Sam Raimi has a certain style to his films that embraces the cheese will telling great stories at the same time.
X-Men - Similar to Pirates, was never that good.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lord of the Rings and The Matrix are still good. Non of the other movies listed were good in the first place based on my preferences so age has nothing to do with it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
well some movies used to be built to last. Now they're mostly built to sell based on what's hot during that time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I won't stand for this thread, LOTR and spiderman held up great, and the various pirate films are as good (or not) as they were when they released.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy all still look and sound fantastic.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's 1999, but Fight Club has aged terribly. It's like a proto men's rights manifesto now.
It's been ages since I've seen the movie, but the book is sort of a warning rather than approval, does it go off on that much of a tangent?

I mean, it does start off with talking about emasculation of men due to consumerism and placing value on clothes and looks and how prizing these things means men must hide their true nature and repress it and then in the closing chapters finishing off with the view that raw, unchecked masculinity is dangerous, aggressive and violent and the narrator and presents the idea the solving problems in society isn't done by reaching to extremes but by embracing traits that are stereotypically seen as masculine or feminine, but are really neither, just traits of being human.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same way with TV. I was watching the IT Crowd a few days ago and I was shocked by how poorly the humor has aged.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This opinion only makes sense if the only thing you care about in a movie is special effects.

And you'd still be wrong.

In all seriousness, of the movie's listed the only ones that have "aged like shit" are ones that you had problems with during the time of their release. First two Harry Potter movies had terrible acting and effects them, Spider-Man was filled with awful effects and NYC post-9/11 fanfare that was embarrassing, and the Matrix sequels and POTC sequels were considered awful then.

This man speaks the truth.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
American Pie 2 and Jeepers Creepers are from 17 years ago and have aged very well. Hell, Jeepers Creepers 3 looks like it was made 25 years ago.