• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
ROTK looks like shit. FOTR and TT still look great. ROTK was the start or PJ going wild.

POTC also looks great still. The Gore style held up well.

Spiderman has a lot of sketchy parts, both 1 and 2. But 2 still looks decent.

Matrix held up surprisingly well, but 2 and 3 look like Dogshit.

Harry Potter, I haven't seen in years

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a terrible thread. You're incredibly wrong about most of these.

Yes The Matrix has aged but it's still a masterpiece. Setting "The Matrix" itself in 1999 will always make it somewhat timeless no matter how much time actually passes. The sequels are mediocre despite having some good setpieces (that have largely aged worse than the original), but that was always the general opinion about them.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is also timeless and better than most blockbusters that release today. The two sequels don't really work on their own but together still tell a compelling story with some fantastic direction by Gore Verbinski and CG that still holds up today in such a way that it looks better than much of what releases today.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is also absolutely a classic that holds up just fine... much better than its sequel prequel trilogy in fact.

You're also missing other masterpieces like Gladiator.

The first three Harry Potter films all work just as well as they always did. The later ones are eh, but they kind of always were.

X-Men and the original Spider-man are obviously inferior to the modern MCU stuff, but that's fine. Spider-Man 2 holds up just fine, it's just campier.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
The first three Harry Potter films' CGI has aged horribly, but I still think they're better than most of the back half. There's a lot of weird problems in them, but the back half is just so fucking boring besides maybe 6.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf the CG in RotK looks pretty bad in 2018. See: skeleton army. Even Gollum looks average. FotR has the cave troll but other than that it's mostly practical.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The Balrog scene hasn't aged well at all. I dare everyone to watch that one again.
It helps that Gandalf doesn't really interact with the Balrog. You see some closeups of him, conjures a spell and that's that.

Most of the larger set pieces in TTT and RotK just look terrible. Look at Gladiator. Ridley Scott shoots them in such a way that the CG doesn't distract you.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Uh I have the LotR extended edition in Bluray and it still looks amazing, you must be losing yo mind son! And i actually just re-watched all 3 within the last month

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the CGI in those movies looked bad at release date, i always knew they'd age like milk (special effects wise speaking). There's no bettering practical effects (yet).

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
uh, I'm starting to believe that everyone here judges the quality of a movie by how well it's special effects hold up ten years later, and it would explain a lot

Oct 25, 2017
That includes

- Matrix
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Pirates of the Caribean
- Spider-man
- X-Men
- your favourite early 2000s movie

YIKES. I've been rewatching a ton of those movies I really enjoyed back in their day and I can confidently state that early 2000s movies have aged like N64 games. You're actually better off going either a few years back or forth (mid to late 90s are largely fine, depending on CGI use), but I heavily recommend not rewatching any of those movies. The LotR flicks are honestly the worst offenders, but the rest was pretty shit too. I wish I had not rewatched any of them. If I'll ever do a nostalgia binge again, I'll make sure to skip that time period, phew.
I never watched Harry Potter. Aside from X-Men you're wrong and everything on that list is damn good.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lotr still fantastic.

Matrix still a really good sci-if action, maybe a little 2000's in feel.

Pirates of the Caribbean still holds up amazingly. CGI better than most movies today. Don't think any recent Marvel movie has effects that approach the quality of Davey Jones.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
uh, I'm starting to believe that everyone here judges the quality of a movie by how well it's special effects hold up ten years later, and it would explain a lot

That's exactly what I'm reading off this thread too.
Seems like visuals are the only thing a movie is worth for; not the story and storytelling, cinematography, acting, music and all other things excluding visuals (CGI).
-----
I mean, maybe in 10 years we'll laugh at the visuals of Blade Runner and call it "shit" and not recommending to rewatch any of the movies coming out now. Probably look like PS4/XB1 games.
Maybe skip this period too if you're going to do a nostalgia binge. You'll just barf from how shit it looks.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Those movies are still pretty good for the most part .They feel very of their time and the special effects are dated. But, there's nothing wrong with art reflecting it's time period and special effects aging bad is inevitable in all but the best cases.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I'm reading off this thread too.
Seems like visuals are the only thing a movie is worth for; not the story and storytelling, cinematography, acting, music and all other things excluding visuals (CGI).
-----
I mean, maybe in 10 years we'll laugh at the visuals of Blade Runner and call it "shit" and not recommending to rewatch any of the movies coming out now. Probably look like PS4/XB1 games.
Maybe skip this period too if you're going to do a nostalgia binge. You'll just barf from how shit it looks.
TTT goes nowhere until the last hour or so. I noticed it then and I notice it now.

Oct 25, 2017
ROTK looks like shit. FOTR and TT still look great. ROTK was the start or PJ going wild.

POTC also looks great still. The Gore style held up well.

Spiderman has a lot of sketchy parts, both 1 and 2. But 2 still looks decent.

Matrix held up surprisingly well, but 2 and 3 look like Dogshit.

Harry Potter, I haven't seen in years
Damn right. On top of being boring, the final battle in ROTK looked like pure ass. I never understood the love for the battle scenes in that film. FOTR and TT do look pretty damn good, though.

I trust your eyesight.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix, LotR and PotC 1 are still amazing. They've aged sure, but in the same way Alien, Star Wars and Indiana Jones have aged. Definitely not like shit.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Matrix and LOTR? Fuck no.

Edit: I'd grant the Matrix sequels, if you choose to believe they exist.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Matrix, LOTR, and Gladiator haven't aged. OP is nuts.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those movies are 20 ish years old though, its like watching movies from the 70s back in the 90s. Some jank is unavoidable.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I watched The Matrix for the first time a few months back and I enjoyed it. I feel like a lot of comedies from that time period have aged like milk though.

Oct 29, 2017
It's just internet memes that love to hate on whatever is popular and people like zombies being super easily influenced by memes.

For example, Avatar was a gorgeous and beautiful movie that created this wonderful world full of beauty from oceanic organisms. It still has some of the most beautiful cgi anyone has ever seen. People loved it so much that it still stands as the highest grossing movie of all time, and with the most ticket sales of all time.

Then comes the internet meme culture that loves to hate on what's popular. They make up a stupid meme that the movie is identical to dances with wolves and ferngalli. Hint it's not, it shares a few superficial similarities to these films but actually has tons of differences from them unless. It's a funny meme but it was never a serious claim. but now people accept it as fact without ever actually seeing the movies to see the multitudes of differences.

The same people that critique Avatar can't stop raving about Artist films with super simple and derivative stories because they were beautiful (shape of water for one example). The same people are happy to excuse other beautiful movies with idiotic and ridiculously convenient nonsense ending (annhilation as one example).

Are people's opinions so easily influenced by a stupid meme. What does that say about human intelligence?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just internet memes that love to hate on whatever is popular and people like zombies being super easily influenced by memes.

For example, Avatar was a gorgeous and beautiful movie that created this wonderful world full of beauty from oceanic organisms. It still has some of the most beautiful cgi anyone has ever seen. People loved it so much that it still stands as the highest grossing movie of all time, and with the most ticket sales of all time.

Then comes the internet meme culture that loves to hate on what's popular. They make up a stupid meme that the movie is identical to dances with wolves and ferngalli. Hint it's not, it shares a few superficial similarities to these films but actually has tons of differences from them unless. It's a funny meme but it was never a serious claim. but now people accept it as fact without ever actually seeing the movies to see the multitudes of differences.

The same people that critique Avatar can't stop raving about Artist films with super simple and derivative stories because they were beautiful (shape of water for one example). The same people are happy to excuse other beautiful movies with idiotic and ridiculously convenient nonsense ending (annhilation as one example).

Are people's opinions so easily influenced by a stupid meme. What does that say about human intelligence?
I rewatched the movies in the past months. I saw no meme and neither was I manipulated by it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. LOTR is still great, and Pirates is still a fantastic movie.

Also, i'll go ahead and say it, Pirates 2 and 3 are fun, good movies.

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice troll thread. The LOTR movies have better more lifelike CGI than most movies still released today. Seriously what is this thread.

EDIT: what the fuck is this thread, I feel like people are taking crazy pills.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think the likes of Harry Potter, Pirates and especially Lord of the Rings have aged beautifully. There's patches of dated CGI here and there certainly, but overall the films are still visually pleasing and easy to get lost in.

If you want a medium where this is true, try genre TV. Visual effects in TV have come a very long way in the last 20 odd years.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watched X-Men 1 this month again myself. Outside of Magneto's CG bubble of light on the statue of liberty looking a bit rough near the climax, the movie was fine. Even Senator Kelly's transformation into a puddle of water was an effect that still worked despite its obvious age.

Cannot agree with Pirates or LotR either which I also watched within the last year again.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Watched The Matrix just last week and was surprised by how strong its aesthetic still is. Honestly the only thing that really feels silly and dated today is Trinity's mid-air pause at the start.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say aspects of every movie you listed have certainly aged, yes but I'll never forget seeing The Matrix for the first time though. I was hype as fuck after it ended.

(it's still good, as is Lord of the Rings)

I didn't like Spider-man back then, kinda feel slightly more positive about it these days though.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Boy you couldn't have picked worse examples, and I'm someone who doesn't like the look of many early 00 movies.