• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Winning an Oscar =|= being good.
In generally does though.

Yes, some "bad" films have won awards for certain aspects, but you don't get nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay for two of the films in the series and win them both for the third film.

The series has 17 Academy Awards and won every single award it was nominated for with the Return of the King. That's not remotely a "bad film", you may not like it, which is fair, but it's objectively a good film.

The effects in LOTR are better than the ones in The Hobbit movies.
Practical effects always hold up better than CGI. The Hobbit films are a farce, in that sense. No idea what they were thinking.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
sSJzMPn.png

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men movies back then we're never good, so who cares if they aged poorly?

X-Men 3 is genuinely awful in particular.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Whenever characters take out a giant cell phone or go to a payphone, it makes my blood boil.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more of a Star Wars guy but Lord of the Rings is arguable the greatest Hollywood film trilogy of all time putting aside my own biases. Stuff like Star Wars and Back to the Future will always be my favorites but when you're talking about cohesiveness, execution, and everything the Lord of the Rings films are as solid of a trilogy as you could possibly get. There's just no comparison. Nobody discuses the movies as being such a drastic drop in quality like you get in the majority of other "great trilogies" for example. What is Lord of the Rings' weakest link? Two Towers? How many people actively bash that movie, again?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the people coming in here saying none of these movies were ever good must be on some shit.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Funny. Watching the Helm's Deep battle recently and I felt instantly bad for the generation that has to sit through the "battles" shown in the trailers of that Infinity War movie.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
the romantic comedies of the early 00s aged even worse like got damn
MV5BMTg0OTc2MDQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDUwMjEzMw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Matt was on that grind for a little while too lol

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
None of the films in the OP have really aged terribly in my opinion. LOTR absolutely still holds up, as does The Matrix

Then again I like to watch old movies too so.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
LOTR was way too long before the 1.5x time speed option was invented. Now with that option watching the movie is a breeze.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP is predecated on the fact that a lot of the films mentioned were ever considered good to begin with. Successful =\= good. I think the other thing to remember is that you're most definitely and adult now so you were a kid or a teen when you saw these which is why you liked them

The original Matrix was 1999 and I think it holds up well as a dumb sci-fi action movie.

The sequels were awful, were never good, even on release.

The Fellowship of the Ring is actually decent and my favorite of the three. The sequels are honestly not good movies.

Spider-Man has aged poorly because you're an adult and it's a dumb kids movie. I think the first two are fine, not great, but enjoyable.

X-Men 1 is not a good movie. It has some moments but it's pretty corny. The sequel is better but over-rated. All the other films in the franchise are complete garbage, with the exception of Logan which is miraculously one of the greatest super hero films ever made.

Harry Potter 1 and 2 were also never good. I've never liked Chris Cholumbus. Prisoner of Azkiban is awesome, though, best film in the series. Everything after that is just okay. Good if you enjoy the series but not good-good.

Pirates of the Caribbean s an okay film. All the sequels are garbage and always have been,

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How? It's still insanely quotable!

Pretty much Roy's entire character is one twisted-up ball of misogyny, and most of the jokes regarding Jen are pretty anti-feminist. Obviously in Roy's case the joke is that he's an idiot and he's basically always wrong, but it's still pretty cringey sometimes.

Moss is still perfect, though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
LOTR will be timeless thanks to the good practical effects it uses. And because it's a damn good movie of course.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate language.
Bro are you on fucking crack? Lotr absolutely shits on 99% of blockbusters coming out today. If you are talking about the effects you are wrong. CGI has been absolute trash lately, and practical effects beats even the best CGI in most cases. WRONG!

If you are talking about the movies themselves, you are even more wrong. Just incomprehensibly wrong. As a matter of fact, when i rewatched them a year ago, my biggest takeaway was: Man, i wish they still made movies like this. The Hobbit movies have aged MUCH worse. And they are just a few years old. I can't anymore with all these retarded hot takes popping up lately...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This LotR bashing is upsetting me. I understand not liking arguably the greatest movie trilogy of all time, but saying it's bad as if it's fact? Nah

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This LotR bashing is upsetting me. I understand not liking arguably the greatest movie trilogy of all time, but saying it's bad as if it's fact? Nah
I'm not about to go on a diatribe on why the second and third films fail but they aren't good movies.

It's certainly not the greatest trilogy of all time, I can think of quite a few others where I'd be much happier to watch all three films.
Fixed, thanks

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I used to be against de-platforming, but then I read this OP. Good lord (of the rings)