• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Marathon Durandal now that it's backwards compatible, and by playing I just mean jumping into survival mode and running around the area while dual wielding shotguns. The game is going on 24 years old and yet these guns still feel great. It's like popping bubble wrap.

Is there anything out there than can compare to this perfection? The super shotgun in DOOM is great and all, but my calculations show that 2 is still a greater number than 1.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Gnasher from Gears of War says hello. Nothing pops a head quite like that thing. As far as rad reloads and noises go though, I still gotta go with the DOOM double-barrel.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Doom 2 Double Shotty?
giphy.gif

Painkiller's freeze triple barrel.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Looks to me like nostalgia's playing a big influence here. I'm not really seeing any feeling of impact, and the sound is bit a like it's underwater. The Doom pump action is streets ahead for me.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends's Peacekeeper is the best shotgun I have used recently. But for single-player or PVE fps, I dunno. Doom I guess.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I was literally running circles around the flat Survival map with dual shotguns last night. Super satisfying gun, especially the silly flip animation.

A ton of DOOM fans will defend that shotgun to the death though. Personally, I still have a sweet spot for the Halo 2 shotgun from endless hours of Zombies on Foundation (Bungie knows how to make good shotguns).

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Dual wielding Model 1887s in MW2

You've got me intrigued.

Looks to me like nostalgia's playing a big influence here. I'm not really seeing any feeling of impact, and the sound is bit a like it's underwater. The Doom pump action is streets ahead for me.

I didn't come to Marathon until much later in life. There's just something to having one gun for each trigger that seals the deal for me over DOOM which I do have more reverence for.

I was literally running circles around the flat Survival map with dual shotguns last night. Super satisfying gun, especially the silly flip animation.

This users gets it!

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The dual-wielding support was amazing at the time. You should have been there.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Uses shotgun shells (somehow), so it's a shotgun.

Turok 2's Shredder:

If you don't think it counts, well Turok 1 & 2's regular shotguns are highly satisfying too.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Functionally in game, I agree the Durandal shotgun is one of the best.

My fav shotguns of gaming are all in H3VR. Nothing beats opening the breach, loading my own shells, flipping it closed and blowing a sausage away.

I don't get why people like the FEAR shotgun...

Last edited:

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Such an amazing game and (please don't cringe) the only game I ever and will ever have a tattoo of. I have the durandal symbol on my left bicep. No regrets what so ever.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Having just played DMC1 for the first time I found the shotgun super satisfying to use - ended up using it more than any other gun.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Such an amazing game and (please don't cringe) the only game I ever and will ever have a tattoo of. I have the durandal symbol on my left bicep. No regrets what so ever.

Circular logos make the best tattoos. The screwattack from Metroid and the sheikah eye symbol from Zelda are two other great examples.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't have taken 15 posts.
Felt obligated to post it after the first 5 replies didn't mention it.
Did FEAR have a good shotgun on its own merits? I tend to think it was really the slow time feature that carried the gameplay in that regard.
In look/effect with that slowmo? Sure.

In feel? Nah.

Even without the slow-mo effect, it's feels just as good, only much faster. Plus it sounds perfect.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon count as a shotgun? Because it's pretty great.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool idea, but the execution there is rough. Animation has so few frames that it doesn't sell recoil at all, just looks like the gun is rotating around an axis.

I think Doom 2016's super shotgun is pretty beastly. It's not up close and personal, but every pump shot in Fortnite actually feels really powerful (even when they're not!)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Marathon is a great game but I think your nostalgia is blinding you to the fact that the shooting in these early FPS games just plain isn't as satisfying as more modern games that have high-quality sound effects, complex weapon animations, and enemies that react properly to getting shot.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Recently I've been in love with the peacekeeper in Apex. I get all my kills with it and it feels so damn satisfying. Especially when u see the blood mist upon impact.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a big fan of the shotgun in Half Life 2. Really satisfying weapon to me.

Dual akimbo 1887 in MW2 was also some of the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game, also

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Duke Nukem 3D had an amazing shotgun. No armor? Bye.

Doom's shotgun was heavenly.

Destiny has good shotguns, but they're kinda twitchy.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the auto shotgun from Left 4 Dead. It just carves through hordes

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Surprisingly hard to find good video of high-quality slow-motion kills with it, but I'll toss the hunting shotgun (heck, and the AA12) from Killing Floor 1 & 2 into the mix. There was nothing more satisfying than tearing through an entire group of zombies with the double-barrel blast (or unloading all 20 shells in seconds from the AA12).

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I alluded to Turok's regular shotguns earlier, but here's some examples of how satisfying they are: