• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
...This could get dicey in numerous ways. I hope its handled carefully.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Native American is the only way they could work in the ceremonial stuff in this setting.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. They better know they're walking in eggshells here. Treat this very carefully. They're one small misstep from someone being offended or angry at something.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Marc Web knows his romances, even in movies of different genres (Amazing Spider-man films. Arguably the only good part of those movies).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
AMS was 6 years ago? He hasn't done anything since?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well, they're clearly going forward with this in the worst way possible.

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Uhhhhhh...no thanks. I think it's POSSIBLE to a good live action adaption of Your Name but this sounds really bad.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I understand why they have to change the setting, and I think it was previously said that the original writer asked them to westernize it, but the original is so good.

I'm almost certain they're going to spoil a key plot point in the trailers (the same one they spoil in that description)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I don't know, it could be good. I also don't really see why people want an English language Hollywood adaptation to be set in Japan. I'm sure there'll be an actual Japanese live action adaptation at some point if you prefer that.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Makoto Shinkai doesn't care about what the west does with this, and the licensors want Hollywood to make this westernised otherwise they would have made it in japan.
This is pretty pertinent information.

Anyway, it -could- work, but if you're gonne involve native Americans they best have a Native American writer on the team or someone to consult with that.

This is one of those anime that can successfully be adapted in the West.
The body swap romance with disaster element is the main premise.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Great awesome, don't care who's directing this.

The important question is, who's doing the soundtrack?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
500 Days of Summer was great, give the dude a chance.
EDIT: And apparently the screenwriter is the guy who adapted Arrival and Birdbox. Definitely some talent working on this.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Gifted is more noteworthy then AMS

Just for clarification because, well, you're Slayven and the world exists in spandex and ben-day dots to you, he did this Gifted:

gifted-movie-banner-poster.jpg

If you were aware then carry on.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
500 Days of Summer and Gifted was a nice movie. I don't think it's fair to blame Amazing Spider-Man on Webb.

And I just want to say: ASM1 is a good movie. Certainly better than Spider-Man 3 and I honestly think it's close with Spider-Man 1 if I put nostalgia aside.

ASM2 was obviously a complete mess but we all know there was a lot more to that than any single person.

Webb is a good choice for this. Just wait.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I would have dug it if they kept the girl Japanese. Then you could have kept her story the same while perhaps having a language barrier for the guy to explain away certain plot points.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?
Actually yeah, how the fuck does this make sense with the story

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think the base story can be adapted into other cultures very well.

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, how does any of that really make sense in the original either? I don't see how the same explanation wouldn't work.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017