• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they're clearly going forward with this in the worst way possible.

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering too....
giphy.gif

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
oh yes, that's what this story needs
a live action American adaption

I'm so relieved we can finally experience this story in a way we can truly relate to
fan
tas
tic

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Keep the core premise but make massive changes to make this work.

It's too anime for it to work if they stick too closely to the material.

Changing it to a Native American female works, I guess, but they should've cast an Asian-American/Hispanic-American for the male role.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Stripping the story of all the Japanese elements will ruin it.
You've got a girl who is embarrassed/ridiculed by continuing the traditions passed down her family with the story leading up to a cultural festival. How can that not be transported to other cultures.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Now look at everything else surrounding that
Does it matter? Infernal Affairs is a uniquely Hong Kong story, and a strong aesthetic that cannot be replicated in another setting. But at the core it's about trust, betrayal, loyalty, and one's sense of justice. It was remade into an American film set in America without any Chinese flavor or element.

It won Best Picture.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remake The Lake House, it's basically the same thing and already has white people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lake_House_(film)

Well, they're clearly going forward with this in the worst way possible.

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?

Probably won't be a metor in this one

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You said it won't be a Japanese thing in response to someone who said the guy should be Japanese-American.

It seems like you misinterpreted what Yams said more than the other way around lol.

Yeah? My question was why would the ethnicity be brought forward to this movie that set in a different context? Why not chinese-american, why not xx-american? IMO if it's just an adaptation it should cut loose these strings from the source.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll keep my hopes up for an Alaskan girl if set in America only. You want to make it rural may as well go all the way north.
You can drop the freaking asteroid there for sure.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a volcano or an earthquake?

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I guess. Not opposed to it but you know viewers are going to compare it YN even more stringently if that happens.

I'm not even invested in this movie. I just think it would be cool if they cast an Asian American lead in a story that's based on Asian material, since we've had to look at so much whitewashing in Hollywood. They even whitewashed actual Asian American people that are still alive lol.

When I read that they're looking for an Asian or part Asian male to play Spike Spiegel I was pleasantly surprised. They didn't have to do that, but it was really nice that they did.

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a volcano or an earthquake?
Asteroid has the flexibility of not depending on geography so it gives them freedom in terms of setting and what specific Native American culture to use, that said, a less extraordinary event could also help the story if set in America.

I would actually be intrigued to see what they come up with if they tried to rewrite the whole thing to the point that they make it a mixed period piece like True detective with an actual natural tragedy. But I don't think there are any really big disaster of the scale in the US recent history.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Oct 25, 2017
This movie won't be a Japanese thing, it's for the western market.

What? How. This reads like some power fantasy.
What?

I mean it could be
American city boy Japanese country girl
American city girl Japanese country boy

Or the opposite I guess

Asteroid has the flexibility of not depending on geography so it gives them freedom in terms of setting and what specific Native American culture to use, that said, a less extraordinary event could also help the story if set in America.

I would actually be intrigued to see what they come up with if they tried to rewrite the whole thing to the point that they make it a mixed period piece like True detective with an actual natural tragedy. But I don't think there are any really big disaster of the scale in the US recent history.
I guess at least a wildfire

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with the Spider-Man movies, I used to be head be over the heels about Marc Webb because of 500 Days of Summer. I loved that movie BUT I am starting to look less fondly of it as the years go by surprisingly
Kelsey Asbille
- from the movie Wind River
image.jpg
Oh man if this happens, I won't be able to unsee the messed up shit from that movie

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda hoping for a director with some more visual pizzazz to be honest

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I'd support taking
the comet/meteor out of the equation
mainly because that thing provided a lot of the visual charm

That's wasted potential if you discard that for a live action adaptation

311b4bb83eb9333c67d1afa4caba4d68.gif

original.gif

d4f9ec30f42db4d52a6d0ad66a603613d5ab5923_hq.gif

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'd support taking
the comet/meteor out of the equation
mainly because that thing provided a lot of the visual charm

That's wasted potential if you discard that for a live action adaptation

311b4bb83eb9333c67d1afa4caba4d68.gif

original.gif

d4f9ec30f42db4d52a6d0ad66a603613d5ab5923_hq.gif

fuck me, just looking at these (relative to movie) poor quality gifs made my hair stand on end.

what a gorgeous movie