• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are ANIME parts of Your Name that would thankfully be gone in a US remake
To their credit, they had the least obnoxious boob joke I'd seen in anime in a very, very long time.

Although I'm trying to remember if anything else was problematic in the film on hindsight.
fuck me, just looking at these (relative to movie) poor quality gifs made my hair stand on end.

what a gorgeous movie
Webb better have seen the film and start vetting the shit out of cinematographers, I swear to god.

Just think of the possibilities.
giphy.gif

(^from Gravity)

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Amber Midthunder please.

MV5BMDk0ZDEzYWQtYWY2NC00ZjE4LWE3NDktYmZjNjNhNDQ5OGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

It's so hard to explain to people why this movie is great without spoiling it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if you think an american movie with a freaky friday gender swap plot wouldn't do a genitals/boob joke as well...

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In regards to the soundtrack, I'm kinda bummed because this pretty much confirms that Sparkle is out of the equation. That sucks because the track was easily half the reason why the climax was one of the best scenes in anime movies in a long time.

But if there's one track that's got a real good shot at getting in this one, it's Kataware Doki.

(WARNING: ACTUAL MOVIE SPOILERS IN THE BACKGROUND)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite movies of the last few years. My hopes for this aren't high, but it'll really depend on whether we get Good or Bad Marc Webb.

Oct 30, 2017
Stop. Letting. American. Studios. Make. Live. Action. Adaptations. Of. Anime.

Actually...
Stop. Making. Live. Action. Adaptations. Of. Anime.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't particularly a hard adaption. It's another variation of Freaky Friday, Big, etc.

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
🤦🏻‍♂️ this will be a disaster

I hope I'm wrong tho

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Looking foward to this, i hope it's good. I tried to watch the original since i found the concept intriguing but i had to stop midway, i got turned off by the constant boob groping scenes, if it happened once i would have shrugged it off but it kept happening and that was annoying. I'm sure this adaptation will get rid of that element so bring it on.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
From the reactions here you would expect that they got Uwe Boll to direct

Webb is a good choice, and the change to Native American culture is a smart one, since spirituality is very important to the core of the movie.
We don't know the casting yet, the boy could be of asian descedent and etc.

And the plotholes existed on the original too (boy not knowing about a freaking meteor and so on)

Give it a chance, people.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm still not sure why japan completely lost its shit over this movie. i liked it fine, but it just came out of nowhere — were it not for the intense year-long hype i'd have happily watched it and thought "sure, that was a pretty neat anime movie" and forgotten all about it.

i don't have any desire to see a hollywood remake but i don't really think there's anything in the source material that's particularly sacred or impossible to translate.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I choose to remain cautiously optimistic. There was always going to be neccesssary changes if this wasn't made in Japan. Marc Webb had so much promise once upon a time. It's not like it takes anything away from the original.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Sam Raimi would be also an inspired pick if they wanted/could lol

btw Deadline say the story centered of Native american girl and the man is from Chicago

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I was wondering what they'd use as an analogue. Sounds like as good a concept as you can get. The Native American tribal traditions vs Japanese shrine/village traditions should be interesting. I'm cautiously optimistic but then again I'm always curious and open-minded with adaptations.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Why Chicago though? I would have chosen New York for the Tokyo parallel.

Either way, remember the subway scene? It's gonna get recreated in a old-ass Chicago subway train with gum and spits on the ground and a hobo shitting in the background.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they're clearly going forward with this in the worst way possible.

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?
I mean, that's the same in the film.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Either way, remember the subway scene? It's gonna get recreated in a old-ass Chicago subway train with gum and spits on the ground and a hobo shitting in the background.

Marc Webb was born in Indiana and raised in Wisconsin. Chicago was THE BIG CITY for him growing up.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

While Chicago has underground trains, if they were gonna recreate that scene it'd be on our El (elevated) trains.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
500 Days of Summer and Gifted was a nice movie. I don't think it's fair to blame Amazing Spider-Man on Webb.

And I just want to say: ASM1 is a good movie. Certainly better than Spider-Man 3 and I honestly think it's close with Spider-Man 1 if I put nostalgia aside.

ASM2 was obviously a complete mess but we all know there was a lot more to that than any single person.

Webb is a good choice for this. Just wait.
I agree with all of this

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
so uh considering that apparently one of the reasons the movie existed as it did was that the climax represented a sort of metaphor for
the way urban Japan processed the tragedy of the Fukushima reactor meltown

what are they going to do for the climax of this one

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I don't have much hope for this, but it doesn't take anything away from the original, which I can enjoy at any time.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
500 Days of Summer and Gifted was a nice movie. I don't think it's fair to blame Amazing Spider-Man on Webb.

And I just want to say: ASM1 is a good movie. Certainly better than Spider-Man 3 and I honestly think it's close with Spider-Man 1 if I put nostalgia aside.

ASM2 was obviously a complete mess but we all know there was a lot more to that than any single person.

Webb is a good choice for this. Just wait.
My man, I thought I was alone

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well, they're clearly going forward with this in the worst way possible.

So this guy is just going to be casually unaware of a meteor strike that occurred on US soil? And be completely incapable of realizing he's two years in the past for days at a time?
These same "issues" exist in the animated version though. If it bothers you, it bothers you, but honestly it's not such a big deal.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
On the contrary, this is so intrinsically Japanese I don't think it could work in any other culture.
What exactly makes Your Name intrinsically Japanese? The only thing I can think of is the stuff with the sake, which could easily be replaced with something else.

The main conceat of the story is just a bodyswap movie and the Japanese aren't the only culture with a lot of spirituality, they just have to replace the Shinto specific elements with elements specific for native American religion

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Amtrak exists, just use Amtrak, it actually leaves llinois.
Haha, I was thinking that Amtrak just feels so unromantic.

Though that might be true of any form of public transportation. Makoto Shinkai's love of animating trains in the most beautifully flattering way made it seem more transcending.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why there is any need for a Japanese element in it. Where were the Chinese-Americans in Departed? :P

Busy getting shown up by Jack Nicholson's gangster swagger. That scene always played as an (unintended?) meta commentary on the perceived superiority of their own take vs. the source material to me.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
What exactly makes Your Name intrinsically Japanese? The only thing I can think of is the stuff with the sake, which could easily be replaced with something else.

The main conceat of the story is just a bodyswap movie

That may be the case, but I don't think the movie is so widely loved because it's a body swap movie. The setting is an intrinsic part of the story itself.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
That may be the case, but I don't think the movie is so widely loved because it's a body swap movie. The setting is an intrinsic part of the story itself.
The Japan part is really mundane, and not at all why it's successful in Japan. Actually it would be weird to claim the reason it's successful in Japan is because it looks/feels Japanese

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Incredibly wary of this. I like Webb as the director, but the anime is already perfect.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Exceedingly low expectations for this.

To their credit, they had the least obnoxious boob joke I'd seen in anime in a very, very long time.

Although I'm trying to remember if anything else was problematic in the film on hindsight.

Webb better have seen the film and start vetting the shit out of cinematographers, I swear to god.

Just think of the possibilities.
giphy.gif

(^from Gravity)

Lubezki has better things to do than slumming it on a Marc Webb joint.