• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I dunno. There are certainly American disasters they could use for this (Katrina comes to mind) and many small towns have been essentially wiped off the map by fires or storms. But yeah, dont see why we need a live action version, much less an americanized one. Though it would be interesting of it were a period piece and dealt with the Trail of Tears or some other NA massacre. Doubt that though....

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It's the only possible plot set-up that would make sense in America, so I'm not going to totally discount the endeavor.

If anything, this will be a good $5 AMC Tuesday flick.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ion-your-name-adaptation-in-interview/.141281

Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer (Arrival, Final Destination 5) spoke to movie news blog /Film about his work on the planned live-action Hollywood adaptation of Makoto Shinka's your name. anime film. In the interview, which was posted on Friday, Heisserer said that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material.

"They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint."

Here is why they went native American instead of just rehashing the plot with Japanese or asian actors.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was old news but still, I felt like it would've been an interesting dynamic and theme to explore if say Taki's character became a second generation Japanese immigrant living in North America or something like that. But that's just me.
But the themes revolve around Mitsuha's character, not Taki's, so Taki having a Japanese background wouldn't have relevance to Native American culture.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the themes revolve around Mitsuha's character, not Taki's, so Taki having a Japanese background wouldn't have relevance to Native American culture.
Oh no, that was an old idea I had mentioned before that was still based off of the idea that Mitsuha would still be living in a village in Japan. That's what I meant.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I mean, at least on paper, it sounds like a perfectly sensible way to adapt the story for the west. I would have preferred something closer to the original's setting and culture, but I'm not inherently against the idea of changing it. It's really fucking hard to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt when it comes to portraying Native American culture, though. But hey, if this is the year where they start getting it right, it'd be cool if it was Your Name. So we'll see.

As far as Webb, I dunno. I liked 500 Days of Summer and a lot of his music videos, and I really disliked his two Spiders-Man. I don't really have any opinion on him at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always happy to see more Native American representation in film; however, I am always apprehensive to it's portrayal in Hollywood.

We'll see where this goes once the first trailer drops.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always happy to see more Native American representation in film; however, I am always apprehensive to it's portrayal in Hollywood.
The Native American angle is what's making this adaptation interesting but also what's making me dread it.

On the one hand, as you said, I'd love to see more representation of Indigenous people as well as some deeper takes into that culture.

On the other hand, I have no idea if Webb or Heiserrer would even know what the fuck they'd be talking about in regards to that topic.

Oct 27, 2017
The Native American angle is what's making this adaptation interesting but also what's making me dread it.

On the one hand, as you said, I'd love to see more representation of Indigenous people as well as some deeper takes into that culture.

On the other hand, I have no idea if Webb or Heiserrer would even know what the fuck they'd be talking about in regards to that topic.

That is exactly where I am at. Choosing Native American was a bold choice for this, but also it could backfire incredibly hard.

Honestly, the only reason I'm giving this any attention is BECAUSE they decided to go with a Native American lead.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You want a live action adaptation of an animated film from a director's whose whole bag is overly beautiful imagery ? Of course you do!
I don't need a live action adaption of any animated film.
Just why? The original movie was already great, being live action doesn't improve it somehow.
It's pointless.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Never, because it's not that good to begin with.

Well, select parts were, but it just doesn't work as a whole.

Well, that's what happens when you take a 62-chapter manga and turn it into a 130 minute movie.

The film had to leave a lot out (The manga is fantastic by-the-by).

But I still love the film. The character animation and music is wonderful.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Here's a thought, all this anime movies are amazing cause they are very much Japanese so they can't be recreated. That and they are created specifically for their medium. If it's created out of its medium, it just looks weird.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Here's a thought, all this anime movies are amazing cause they are very much Japanese so they can't be recreated. That and they are created specifically for their medium. If it's created out of its medium, it just looks weird.

But the Japanese want this to happen. So why stop it from happening if the people who made it want this to be created?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh boy.

Listen, I expected them to fuck this up, it's a completely unnecessary thing to make but whatever. That it could manage to possibly be racist on top of that is a step I did not expect. Really, really hope they don't make it as bad as I expect it to be.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need a live action adaption of any animated film.
Just why? The original movie was already great, being live action doesn't improve it somehow.
It's pointless.
Live action reaches a broader audience. Stories get retold and remade all the time that's how stories live on. Not to mention, the creators and people who own the material can license it out and make more money. Plus it being American can give a very different context to the material.