• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Very good month overall.

Switch is slighty down YOY ( Jan- March) right? I think there was a bet about this but maybe i'm wrong.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the numbers would look a bit more like this using the switch as a base and multiplying by the percentages provided:

PS4 354k
Switch 308K
XBO 299k (rounded up from 298.76)

What a healthy market in the states for all three. This is awesome.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys, math is easy....

Switch did 906k in March 17. Minus 66% gives us 308k for March 18.
Multiplied with 1.15 gives 354k or PS4; and multiplied with .97 gives us 299k for XB1.

Yeah. For some reason I used last years PS4 and XBO sales as base (as welfares excellent comparison post has those in second page) and then just calculated yoy drop and rise but it seems last years figures are not completely accurate and it's indeed much more accurate to use Switch as a base as we have solid accurate figure for that from Nintendo themselves.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I've been saying. The market is arguably more healthy than it's ever been

There is no "loser" in the US right now

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Yes Kirby you friken beast!
Also great month for hardware overall!
Surprise Swich did Over 300k.

So Sinc eKitby sold more than MLB what's that mean at least 300k?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And a dozen math teachers, somewhere, suddenly hang their heads with a feeling of failure they can't quite place. And it all comes from this thread.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Second march comparison between different systems:

GBA: 832k
Wii: 721k
PS2: 362k
PS4: 330k
Switch: 308k
XBO: 229k
3DS: 225k
X360: 199k
GC: 165k
Xbox: 165k
WiiU: 70k

For some reason I can't find 2006 march sales of Nintendo DS anywhere but if I remember right they were about ~200k.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Kinda wonder where Kirby ranks in biggest releases. Wonder if it did better than XC2 or ARMS?
XBC2 did 280k. For Star Allies to reach that it would need to more than double the number triple deluxe did on 3ds. Definitely not impossible, but quite difficult to achieve. I think Kirby will be around 250k for March, so slightly below XBC2 and around what Arms did iirc.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh, okay. That makes sense. So MLB > Kirby overall?!
Not necessarily. Kirby was below MLB in revenue when combining all SKUs, but it may be ahead in sheer units. The other data point - that Kirby sold more than the biggest MLB sku - makes this more likely, but definitely not certain of course.

What's confirmed is:
MLB > Kirby for revenue
Kirby > biggest sku for units

What's unconfirmed:
Kirby > MLB or MLB> Kirby for units of combined SKUs

All of this is only for physical, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
All there consoles doing great. I was pretty close with my prediction, but I went too under on XB1.

Switch still doing great, but hasn't quite matched any of PS4's March's so far. I guess the lack of big software is a part of that.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Demand for PS4 at 299 is still very high. Last year they did price promotions in February but nothing in 2018 so far.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got to say congrats to sony, aren't they the most conservative when it comes to price cuts this year?
Why just to Sony? All three companies sold well, with just an 18% difference between all three. All the will most likely surpass 1 million units moved come next month as well.
"It doesn't matter if you win by a mile or an inch, winning is winning!"

But anyways seems switch won't be sweeping the year like I expected. Seems switch and ps4 will be duking it out for first throughout the year.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a pretty solid March. All systems are pretty close in sales. Far Cry 5 was definitely beasting. Kirby looks to have broken out. MLB is all hits, no strikes.

Oct 25, 2017
I got to say congrats to sony, aren't they the most conservative when it comes to price cuts this year?

"It doesn't matter if you win by a mile or an inch, winning is winning!"

But anyways seems switch won't be sweeping the year like I expected. Seems switch and ps4 will be duking it out for first throughout the year.

Yea, I'm inclined to say that PS4 holds the advantage until we get Smash or the next big Switch game.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A quick note on US console sales in March

It's unsurprising that Hardware sales volume in the US was down 30% YoY and software sales was down 18% due to a harsh comparison against March 17 when the Switch was released.

The relative sales volumes of game hardware was:

YoY

On the software side (digital not included):

Can you give us a MoM percentage for Switch? I would REALLY love that.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Nice, its always good if many people underestimate everybody.
Strong market continuing to be strong is good for everybody.

If i read somebody else correctly before, currently Switch is down YoY by about 45k units right ?
If so, that should melt relatively quickly once this years Q2 (with labo and plenty other games) goes up against Q2 of last year, which had heavy supply issues right ?