• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if the media release is just highlights of my diamond dynasty club in The Show that'd be alright, yeah?
If you reveal any metric the NPD has about MLB The Show, i'm fine with talking about nothing else.

So units, revenue, asp, sku breakdown, retailer split, historic performance, etc.
I would be down for that ;)

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
No, the point is not about if you are first or second or third, and you all seriusly need to stop looking at NPD sales like that, this is why people keep saying XB1 is doing bad when it is literally having his best year by far.

You have to analize the numbers, not the ranking, some times i wonder why Welfare post his usual comment about monthly numbers if at the end people just watch who is first or who is last.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was just stating that I remember reading that everyone did well in Feb (replying to Nintendo not doing so hot in February in your original post), at that Nintendo being placed 3rd gave the perception that Nintendo did poorly when then really didn't.

I honestly do not look at the placement, but rather the data.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I think you misunderstood my post. I was just stating that I remember reading that everyone did well in Feb (replying to Nintendo not doing so hot in February in your original post), at that Nintendo being placed 3rd gave the perception that Nintendo did poorly when then really didn't.

I honestly do not look at the placement, but rather the data.

Then if you look at the data, you would see that Switch had an avg increase of only 31% over January, which is very low.That's doesn't mean that the numbers where bad, but the February increase should have been WAY bigger than that. PS4 had an usual February increase, XB1 too, Switch didn't even come close to that. So yes, February was not a "hot" month for Switch, that's clear.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One has been the best performing console of the year so far in the US accounting for both sales and growth.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
just saw that 2014 Xbox One $449 deal on the previous page. Didn't know that happened and it looks like that was late in the month when sales were nose diving. I'll add that later, so thanks!

Welfare, your monthly summary walls are the best looks at monthly hardware in the industry. When are you turning pro?
Aren't i the only one doing this :P

At this point, I'm willing. Just need a path. If that path allows me to expand past publicly available hardware numbers into even software, that's even better.

I have no specialized education on what I do though, this is all "self taught". Probably limits me massively on that front.

And going off your last post, impressive results for Xbox this year, and it's the 5th year on the market. Hopefully this growth continues throughout the year.

Last edited:

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Really puts into perspective how bad they mismanaged their releases and promotions last year in the first half of 2017.
not only this, but with all the backlash from botched launch, arrogant hybris and bad business decisions right from the start and all along the way it's not so much a miracle, but proof of strong will, professional excellence and hard work, paired with the bravity to question everything and re-establish trust and goodwill of the fan base how aaron managed to finally turn this ship around.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
From the previous two threads.

January:
[PS4] 245k
[XB1] 239k

February:
[PS4] ~363K
[XB1] ~310K

No it hasn.... WAIT A MINUTE

(Or do you mean if you somehow balance sales and growth out (how does that work?))
PS4 had negative growth and Switch has no growth because it been on the market for like 13 months and we only have 12 months of data. So by default really Xbox one takes the honour.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Did I say accounting only for growth? No, I did not.

Stop thinking unit sales ranking is the only thing that matters.

It's not that it's the only thing that matters, but if you say sales and growth people will assume that it's first in both growth and unit sales.
That should be wrong as far as we know. So the metric should be more clear (revenues, units, growth) imo.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Did I say accounting only for growth? No, I did not.

Stop thinking unit sales ranking is the only thing that matters.

How are the spontaneous Xbox price reductions (two weeks in February, one week in March) reflected and factored when analyzing the growth?

Do you and other analysts in this industry expect a certain amount of growth based on several factors (outside of software launches), or just take the growth for face value without caring too much about how it occurred?

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah revenue, makes sense.

Units, revenue, other ancillary selling stats, Xone is have a very nice start to the year. I said what I meant to say.

How are the spontaneous Xbox price reductions (two weeks in February, one week in March) reflected and factored when analyzing the growth?

Do you and other analysts in this industry expect a certain amount of growth based on several factors (outside of software launches), or just take the growth for face value without caring too much about how it occurred?

In calendar year six of the cycle, growth is not typically expected. But yes, good analysts take everything into account from the macro to the micro.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Xbox One has been the best performing console of the year so far in the US accounting for both sales and growth.

It's great that Microsoft has been able to turn the platform and its division around into something that has carved itself a nice little profitable pocket of the current generation.

They've laid some really strong foundations that should enable them to launch next generation really strong. Excluding any extenuating circumstances of course.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that Microsoft has been able to turn the platform and its division around into something that has carved itself a nice little profitable pocket of the current generation.

They've laid some really strong foundations that should enable them to launch next generation really strong. Excluding any extenuating circumstances of course.

Can you really say how profitable it is when they have to do a price cut ?
People that going buy a next gen consoles early are not people that buying now with price cuts .

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
even if ms is sacrificing margin it's the right move. getting people to subscribe to the ecosystem is much more important than last gen. if they can keep those people satisfied with service and content they will stay with them next gen, too.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to remeber all of you, that Hardware sales including Accessoires (that's were the real money is made) were just 37% of Microsoft's gaming revenue in the last holiday quarter.
Hardware sales are strong in the holiday quarter.
The quarter before that was only 15%

So no matter if the margin on consoles is - 3%, 3% or 7 %, it doesn't really make a difference.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think this is? Microsoft haven't released anything prominent games wise until SOT.

You have to wonder why this is suddenly happening.

Favorable comp period.

PS4s big Noc/Dec promotions may have pulled some demand forward.

PUBG/GamePass announcements.

High cross ownership, PS4 folks buying an Xone as a second or third console.

One X is still relatively new to market

Some of the reasons that may be driving it.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me?

Ahh. So I'm back to being a Microsoft fanboy. Good, just getting over a nice run of being a Nintendo and Sony one.

I don't think he meant it like that.
Lets look at the facts:

In absolute metric sales, Xbox One consoles this year have been the worst performing in the USA.
"Microsoftesque Spin" is referring to what MS usually does when they have less then favourable news.

fact: Xbox One consoles this year have been the worst performing in the USA

You wrote: "Xbox One has been the best performing console of the year so far in the US accounting for both sales and growth."
You could have also wrote: "Xbox One has been the worst performing console of the year so far in the US accounting for sales"

That is how MS brings bad news; they give a positive spin on the fact that they have had the worst selling console in the USA. And that is fine be me, I am all for positivity!
But expect people to call them out on it if they find it misleading.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
well-that-escalated-quickly-gif-12.gif