• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the disconnect may be that many expected bigger drops, and are pleasantly surprised at the consoles holding up better relative to those expectations. At least, that's how it is for me.

Collapsing more than 30% would be outright catastrophic

These declines are pretty much right where me and Welfare have been saying they would be

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought I recalled the powers that be saying that sales thread were going to be closely monitored going forward to avoid anything else embarrassing and quite frankly insulting like we saw far too often last year.

That comment above is an obvious disgrace against what these thread should be about and I am definitely finished in these threads for good if it is deemed acceptable.

I feel y'all at last Benji.

Edit: damn new page screwed up my post entirely lol.

Which post are you referring to?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Sales aren't dead (yet!) but they aren't great because post peak/nearing new generation sales aren't supposed to be.

Don't expect much from the PS4 and XB1 this year. PS4 does have Days of Play and the potential for a super slim but those won't reverse anything.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which post are you referring to?

The one that's been ridiculed several times already? Thought it'd be clear, probably should've quoted in hindsight.

I was under the impression that blatant spinning of sales numbers to cheerlead a corporation was under closer scrutiny now but maybe I'm wrong?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Literally everybody has the qualifier switch when they said that its a great month.

Only person who does not is somebody who asked if this is a impressive month, coupling that with asking for last years numbers.

Comparision is quite easy since both 3DS and Switch released in march, but take it with a grain of salt anyway.

2 FY after launch, 3DS sold 31M worldwide, and 10.2 in the "americas" region which includes USA where NPD reports on.
1.75m after launch Switch sold 32.2M worldwide, and 12.9M in the "americas region.

If we add in the 1M NPD told us and the 1M from Japan, Switch is ahead of 3DS by at least 4 million launch aligned Worldwide for the first 2FY, and at least 3.7M in the Americas region.

That is impressive in several ways, be it that Switch is outpacing 3DS which ended up selling over 80M worldwide, or that it is doing so at a much higher pricepoint, with so far no revisions or significant pricecuts.
3ds at almost 75m, not 80

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sales aren't dead (yet!) but they aren't great because post peak/nearing new generation sales aren't supposed to be.

Don't expect much from the PS4 and XB1 this year. PS4 does have Days of Play and the potential for a super slim but those won't reverse anything.

Yeah anyone would be crazy to think PS4 or XB1 will match or be better than last year.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. I'm not trying to frame PS4 or XB1 as a disaster or anything. It's just the expected declines at the end of their life

"Great" results that would surprise me would be if they managed only let's say a 10% or so drop in a month. That would be a really impressive result.

But 20-30% declines are about where they should be right now

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The one that's been ridiculed several times already? Thought it'd be clear, probably should've quoted in hindsight.

I was under the impression that blatant spinning of sales numbers to cheerlead a corporation was under closer scrutiny now but maybe I'm wrong?

I mean the analysis is too starry-eyed, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a disgrace and worthy of mod intervention. I was also wondering what post you were referring to, and after looking for a few minutes decided that the mods had already deleted it or something.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Cant say I agree with the sentiment either PS4 or Xbox One sales are "great"

They are what they are as this generation winds down but they are declining rapidly. Expected but not exactly some sort of over performance

Benji, for a verified sales insider, you tend to ignore some crucial details behind the hardware sales and how Sony and MS got there. Sony has hardly done any TV ad spend (which is unusual for them) and has had the PS4 at a high $299 price all of this year. MS has virtually had marketing rights for every major 2019 third party release and has done tons of TV ad spending. Not only that, but they have discounted the Xbox One S and X regularly in the first quarter (with some Xbox One X bundles being $100 off even) and are even doing another hardware sale at the moment.

Right now, PS4 sales have been great for Sony because they are seeing profits on hardware sales that you don't see at this point of a console's life cycle. Couple that with software sales and it is even better. Xbox One is even doing decent considering it's typical struggles, but once again, they are having to sacrifice profit and spend to maintain the console sale movement they have seen this year. Hell, Sony has managed to sell about 200k more units with a whisper quiet "push" this year that I am sure would cause any other console brand to have a sales collapse. Neither of them have hit that point yet though.

So if you just look at numbers each week or month, compare it to the same point last year or even further back historically and judge it on that, you are nearly missing the whole picture of the current sales situation and the current conditions yielding those numbers.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji, for a verified sales insider, you tend to ignore some crucial details behind the hardware sales and how Sony and MS got there. Sony has hardly done any TV ad spend (which is unusual for them) and has had the PS4 at a high $299 price all of this year. MS has virtually had marketing rights for every major 2019 third party release and has done tons of TV ad spending. Not only that, but they have discounted the Xbox One S and X regularly in the first quarter (with some Xbox One X bundles being $100 off even) and are even doing another hardware sale at the moment.

Right now, PS4 sales have been great for Sony because they are seeing profits on hardware sales that you don't see at this point of a console's life cycle. Couple that with software sales and it is even better. Xbox One is even doing decent considering it's typical struggles, but once again, they are having to sacrifice profit and spend to maintain the console sale movement they have seen this year. Hell, Sony has managed to sell about 200k more units with a whisper quiet "push" this year that I am sure would cause any other console brand to have a sales collapse. Neither of them have hit that point yet though.

So if you just look at numbers each week or month, compare it to the same point last year or even further back historically and judge it on that, you are nearly missing the whole picture of the current sales situation and the current conditions yielding those numbers.

Yikes.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dat console Waring

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

What is there to say "Yikes" about? Both console are doing well given the current point of their lives

Yeah. Not even gonna summarize it for you or anything, it's 100% console warring fanboy nonsense.

..... I'm saying both platforms are doing well. Sony is making more money and they have it easier, but that doesn't mean MS isn't doing better than expected either

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

It isn't warring when I am saying the situation as it is. Sony has been doing nothing this year, while MS has had TV ad spend, marketing rights, discounts etc.

Pointing out that Sony got 200k more sales is saying the results. MS is doing well and so is Sony, and I said they would last year too at this point. I see that Benji put me on ignore and says I harassed him, but I only have ever disagreed with him for ignoring the details I pointed out. I also said the current platforms wouldn't collapse when he stated that many times last year.

Again, I love both brands, but they aren't the same, they use different strategies, and there's a lot more to it that looking at their numbers and judging them on YOY data

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is there to say "Yikes" about? Both console are doing well given the current point of their lives

..... I'm saying both platforms are doing well. Sony is making more money and they have it easier, but that doesn't mean MS isn't doing better than expected either

You constantly patronize and disrespect both MatP and Benji when their information and insight doesn't align with your narrative which is unique, to say the least.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_n8d9nsfEuc1spm17no1_400.gif

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not really seeing where the "console warring" is.

For whatever reason, a lot of people in NPD threads have very thin skin and take an analysis as an attack for some reason.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You constantly patronize and disrespect both MatP and Benji when their information and insight doesn't align with your narrative which is unique, to say the least.

Then I apologize if they took it that way which I never meant to do. But they have typically shown no interest on the how and why of the sales numbers and when asked they have given rather vague responses. I have disagreed with them during the "Everyone has done well" commentary for the finer details of each monthly performance.

In fact, that is all I have ever wanted to discuss. Outside of the Switch because it feels like an entirely different path than Sony and MS. But I am sorry for upsetting anyone with my post which I was just getting down to the performance of the older consoles this year.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really seeing where the "console warring" is.

For whatever reason, a lot of people in NPD threads have very thin skin and take an analysis as an attack for some reason.

Yeah I don't know what SilverX did in the past, but there was nothing wrong with that post. Unless someone can point to something factually inaccurate? Seemed like solid analysis to me.

Doctor Mario

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Fantastic sales for Switch. PS4 and XB1 will suffer this year, but the numbers are still quite decent.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know what SilverX did in the past, but there was nothing wrong with that post. Unless someone can point to something factually inaccurate? Seemed like solid analysis to me.

I don't even need to read the post to know half of it is mumbling how "Benji and Mat P dont actually know much of anything and that SilverX is secretly the best analyst in the industry. And that really PS4 sales are fantastic"

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not seeing any "console warring" in their post, just a different perspective on hardware sales numbers.

Thank you for pointing that out. I make it a point to not just look at the "YOYs" and the "percentages", and just discuss how both are doing considering every aspect that could impact sales changes.

I mean, this is an NPD topic

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean SilverXs isnt wrong though - all he is saying is that MS has been doing alot more to reach close to PS4 sales while Sony isnt pushing hardware numbers that hard, because they can afford to prioritize on hardware margins.

Its not that different than when people say - game X and Y - might sell similar numbers but if X needed to be on sale non-stop and had a much bigger marketing push (Fallout, Anthem etc.), people might call it a flop while Y is regarded as a success.

Considering how little Sony is doing to push hardware right now...i can see where he is coming from.

Anyway....lets stay positive everyone - consoles and all players are doing fine lol.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I don't even need to read the post to know half of it is mumbling how "Benji and Mat P dont actually know much of anything and that SilverX is secretly the best analyst in the industry. And that really PS4 sales are fantastic"
Pretty good summary, minus Mat P being mentioned.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

It's actually about ad spending and profitability at their current price points

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then I apologize if they took it that way which I never meant to do. But they have typically shown no interest on the how and why of the sales numbers and when asked they have given rather vague responses. I have disagreed with them during the "Everyone has done well" commentary for the finer details of each monthly performance.

In fact, that is all I have ever wanted to discuss. Outside of the Switch because it feels like an entirely different path than Sony and MS. But I am sorry for upsetting anyone with my post which I was just getting down to the performance of the older consoles this year.

You don't need to apologize to me, but when MatP and Benji have a negative opinion of you based on your aggressive and hostile attitude towards them and their opinions despite being professionals on the matter, you should probably take a hard look at what it is you are posting and how you are communicating because of them are standup people.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good summary, minus Mat P being mentioned.

Mat simply hasnt been mentioned because he isnt in the thread yet.

Every post every NPD thread from SilverX is the same. Thinking he knows more than everyone else and droning on about it. I dont have time for that

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa now, ease it guys.

Can already tell where this is headed, just chill.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Who said they are bad?
No one( i think), which is why i edited my post the second i hit the "post reply".

Again - i dont wanna be part of whatever might be brewing here - just saying that i can see where SilverX is coming from with his most recent posts. Not that you or anyone else are wrong.

There is too much black and white thinking in this thread. I feel like your previous stance and what SilverX posted are both legit opinions.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Constantly trying to spin a certain Consoles sales as fantastic does seem to me like console war fanboying.

Again, I don't know what the poster has said in the past, but there was nothing wrong with his analysis on PS4's profitability at this stage in its life and the amount of marketing going on.

Is SilverX just not allowed to speak in sales threads anymore, no matter the content of his posts? If so, Benji and Mat should petition the mods to make this official. If he's allowed to speak, let him speak and judge him on the content of each post. Seems crazy that someone would not be allowed to give their opinion while not being actively banned.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I don't know what the poster has said in the past, but there was nothing wrong with his analysis on PS4's profitability at this stage in its life and the amount of marketing going on.

Is SilverX just not allowed to speak in sales threads anymore, no matter what the content of his posts? If so, Benji and Mat should petition the mods to make this official. If he's allowed to speak, let him speak and judge him on the content of each post. Seems crazy that someone would not be allowed to give their opinion while not being actively banned.

I've never asked for SilverX to be moderated and I'm not advocating for it now. The disappointing thing is that the user actually does have some good analysis at times

But constantly quoting me over and over again and essentially boiling your statements down to how you are secretly so much better than me at this is a quick way to make sure I never interact with you again. SilverX can post whatever he wants. I just dont have to read it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I take it that this means everyone is not winning this year?
I wouldnt worry about this - Summer will likely be quite slow for non-Switch systems but i expect both MS/Sony to very aggressive this Holiday season to enter the next year with as much momentum as possible for the new systems.