• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, actually. You're crazy if you think Kenny Omega is a 20,000 seat draw if AEW were running a show in Dallas in the middle of July.

Wrestling isn't popular.
I don't know whether they could do All in or DON numbers (probably not, AEW won't even be doing those numbers once they start on a more regular schedule but I've learned not to downplay them at this point) for that but The Elite are a proven indie draw at this point.

They are popular and would have made a noticeable impact.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

image_from_ios_28__3.jpg

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/pr...an-nightmare-pharaoh-mini-stuffed-animal.html

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, didn't say they could do All In numbers but The Elite are a proven indie draw at this point.

They are popular.
Nobody said they aren't popular but they're not sell out a 20K arena by themselves. People are setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment if they believe AEW is going to reignite the Monday Night Wars or something. Wrestling isn't popular and there's like a billion different options for things to watch on TV and why would almost anyone watch wrestling.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said they aren't popular but they're not sell out a 20K arena by themselves draw like people around ye old interwebs are implying. People are setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment if they believe AEW is going to reignite the Monday Night Wars or something.
Yeah, I've seen people doing that but they need to remember even Cody and The Bucks themselves have said they're not direct competition.

They want to be an alternative and if they hold true to that, they'll be looking to carve out their own niche, get a smaller fanbase hopefully looking for something different.

Basically do what TNA didn't and should have.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Was there really a rumor going around long ago that James Storm really turn down a deal at some point with the WWE becuase TNA promised him another tag title run?

Because that sound almost too dumb to believe.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer on the Rousey shoot shit:
There was a notable change in the interview style, with interviews more based on reality than scripted soliloquies that nobody in real life would say. It was a refreshing change, coming off the reality-based twitter stuff with Lynch and Rousey and others have since copied because the company believes it's been a huge success in the sense people actually buy Rousey being an enemy of the state based on her saying wrestling is a scripted world.

literally Russo logic. 100% brock is gonna call wrestling fake in a promo going into mania. 100000%

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Was there really a rumor going around long ago that James Storm really turn down a deal at some point with the WWE becuase TNA promised him another tag title run?

Because that sound almost too dumb to believe.
What happened was TNA gave him a better deal, Storm told HHH the situation, HHH told him to take the TNA deal because it was more money for less time and closer to family, and it would have been nuts to turn that down especially when he said he wanted another kid

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My God.
Fucking Punishment Martinez got a win. Meanwhile, Keith Lee wasn't even booked for the tapings. Brian_FETO was right after all, Serene.

And if the former ACH isn't angling for a Hardee's sponsorship with that name, then what is he even doing?

Oct 25, 2017
My God.
Fucking Punishment Martinez got a win. Meanwhile, Keith Lee wasn't even booked for the tapings. Brian_FETO was right after all, Serene.

And if the former ACH isn't angling for a Hardee's sponsorship with that name, then what is he even doing?

He was supposed to be which is why I'm kind of confused. There's a Lee/Dijakovic match that was being pushed for the last two weeks on NXT that was supposed to happen at the taping. I'm wondering if one of them got hurt.

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
DDT is changing their Universe subscriptions in May:

There's no longer different tiers, there's subscribers and non-subscribers (they add weekly free videos for non-subscribers, you just need to have an account, same thing for some live shows).
So they're killing of the cheaper archive-only silver tier and the higher priced platinum tier. Basically a win for everyone above silver since they're just adding more to gold.

At least this means everyone gets to enjoy the MOTY: Mizuki vs Yuka Sakazaki impersonation match!

They also have a new dojo and plan to do shows there that will go up on Universe.

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
One more tidbit from the Observer:

Taka Michinoku is taking indie dates in the U.S. for $3,500 per shot plus a business ticket, which is why he's probably not going to be getting a ton of requests because of the added cost of the business ticket

Oct 26, 2017
UK
DDT is changing their Universe subscriptions in May:

There's no longer different tiers, there's subscribers and non-subscribers (they add weekly free videos for non-subscribers, you just need to have an account, same thing for some live shows).
So they're killing of the cheaper archive-only silver tier and the higher priced platinum tier. Basically a win for everyone above silver since they're just adding more to gold.

At least this means everyone gets to enjoy the MOTY: Mizuki vs Yuka Sakazaki impersonation match!

They also have a new dojo and plan to do shows their that will be livestreamed.

Rejoice!

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've seen people doing that but they need to remember even Cody and The Bucks themselves have said they're not direct competition.

They want to be an alternative and if they hold true to that, they'll be looking to carve out their own niche, get a smaller fanbase hopefully looking for something different.

Basically do what TNA didn't and should have.

Agreed. Goal should be to be a profitable alternative, grow their business, and develop so much talent that WWE can't hurt them majorly by doing signing raids when contracts are up.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh.

Been curious about Joshi wrestling and DDT.

I know DDT apparently has more of a comedic bent to it than something like NJPW. Is Tokyo Joshi Pro worth checking out?

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How has njpw not bought Thatcher in?

Andy doesn't make good use of him, so Hattori and whoever else is doing the scouting on the UK shows doesn't get to see him at his best - only time he's been matched against NJPW talent was a nothing tag vs SANADA & EVIL.

Also, instead of listening to Rocky so much regarding indie talent, they should probably try asking Zack's opinion.

Darby is a fun person to throw in the mix

Yup, and fills the Janela spot of "dude who can have a deathmatch with Jimmy for no good reason other than we'd really like a deathmatch, please".

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I'd definitely give Tokyo Joshi Pro a try

The Jan 4 2018 show is free on their Youtube with English commentary, I don't know how it'd be as an intro in terms of story etc but if you want a place to start where you'll understand everything at least in terms of language and price, that's the best place I can think of

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ooh.

I know DDT apparently has more of a comedic bent to it apparently than something like NJPW. Is Tokyo Joshi Pro worth checking out?
DDT has comedy but they still have a lot of totally serious and technically great wrestling as well. A lot of the time it's the undercard matches that have more comedy mixed in while the title matches/main events are serious.

Tokyo Joshi Pro(TJPW) is absolutely worth checking out, they are my favorite promotion. They do great storytelling, wrestlers have for the most part a real defined character. They were great last year but this years they started off even stronger.

There's a bunch of free matches on YouTube:

This is the tag team title match from last month:
Magical Sugar Rabbits(Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki) vs Muscle JK(Reika Saiki & Marika Kobashi)

Great eight-man-tag from October:
Miyu Yamashita & Reika Saiki & Yuu & Hyper Misao vs Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki & Shoko Nakajima & Maki Itoh

Oh, that's the tag title match from their Korakuen Hall show this January, that was an amazing match as well, by far the best tag team match happening on January 4:
Magical Sugar Rabbits(Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki) vs Twin Cam Monster(Shoko Nakajima & Riho)

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Minoru Tanaka hyping up a 'serious announcement' tomorrow morning, with a picture of (presumably) him and the Lion Mark in the background...

Would be awesome to see him in the BoSJ, or as he's the new GHC Jr. champion a singles match vs Liger. Been 11 years since the last time he faced Liger, and 11 years since his last entry into the BoSJ. He's never beat Liger in a title match.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the other day that a match between ZSJ and Gulak would be fucking awesome and I completely forgot they actually had that match in the CWC.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh.

I know DDT apparently has more of a comedic bent to it than something like NJPW. Is Tokyo Joshi Pro worth checking out?
Depends on your tolerance for bad wrestling versus good comedy. Also there is no translation so you won't understand the promos.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
You would think it would be a gauntlet match at Takeover after that.

Shayna fucking murdered everybody.

"Feed me everybody"

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bryan is a lot more entertaining when he isn't with Meltzer to me.

I got a pretty big chuckle when Filthy Tom Lawlor went on this rant about how great Harlem Heat is and how they deserve to be in EVERY hall of fame, and then Bryan cuts him off and says "dude, are you just sucking up so you can avoid Stevie Ray cutting a promo on you?" [like he is apparently gonna do to Dave Meltzer because he's mad Meltzer criticized him getting into the WWE Hall of Fame]

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god are they actually gonna run Orange Cassidy vs. Bryan Alvarez

I'm a fucking prophet.

3:30pm: Black Label Pro: Adventures in Wrestling (White Eagle Hall – Jersey City, NJ):
-Jonathan Gresham vs. Masato Yoshino
-Nick Gage vs. Swoggle
Team USA (Jordynne Grace, Kylie Rae, Shotzi Blackheart Nicole Savoy & Samanatha Heights) vs. Team International (Shazza McKenzie, Charli Evans, Jessica Troy, Zoe Lucas & Indi Hartwell)
-Orange Cassidy vs. Grado
-ICW/ICWA Texarkana Television Title Open Challenge: Bryan Alvarez (c) vs. ?

Nick Gage vs. Swoggle. I'm guessing Swoggle learned nothing from David Arquette. Gresham vs. Yoshino could be incredible. Orange Cassidy vs. Grado will be what it will be. I'd rather have Orange Cassidy vs. Bryan Alvarez, to be honest. The women's tag should be a lot of fun.

She doesn't even have the prop but still acts like she does, what a mark.

And that's why we love Kairi.

When thinking of nautical stuff related to wrestling, I'll always think of that gold boat and SLAP THE PORPOISE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.