• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermore...paign=bffbbuzzfeednifty&ref=bffbbuzzfeednifty

Man, the power of television.

I remember making the thread about the original English release of the book on GAF a few years ago. Now she's a sensation due to the Netflix show.

I've always had a minimal living setup since I've been in apartments most of my adult life, but I do love Kondo's systematic approach. It gave me a better framework. I have a few collections that do spark joy, like my personal library, which I do edit yearly. So I'm not completely spartan.

Has anyone else been dumping and reducing the junk in the lives due to the show?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
*crossing fingers for more classic games to show up in thrift stores*

"caress that copy of Earthbound. Does it give you joy? Of course not, it's 2019. Toss it into the donation bin, honey....."

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
*crossing fingers for more classic games to show up in thrift stores*

"caress that copy of Earthbound. Does it give you joy? Of course not, it's 2019. Toss it into the donation bin, honey....."
Those days are over lol. Even clueless grandparents google prices these day.

I do wish I started getting into retro gaming before google and eBay ruined it lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually read her book last night in a single sitting. A combination of cute, cringe worthy, surprisingly practical and inspirational. It's odd. Might be partially down to the translation or maybe she's not the best writer so the infomercial tone of some of it is outputting but, that being said, I don't doubt her passion for organizing and I do think she has it right that most pellle are weighed down by the stuff they have and just need to give themselves license to let it go. Her method of deal with categories, not rooms, makes a ton of sense and I hope I can be as ruthless with what I get rid of as her. I'm gonna give it a go, the full shebang method of the entire house, and see how that goes. It helps I'm moving in about 6-7 months so if anything I'll have less to move.

I should also probably start poking my head in the thrift store for any rare goodies that "spark joy" while I'm dumping off bags and stuff.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to move. Maybe I should watch this before I pack.
No need honestly. While I do like the show, it's rather long episode-wise. Unless you need a visual reference, the method is very simple.

There are a countless of YT videos explaining the method as well.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm gonna move out in around 7 months and probably go back to live with my parents for a bit while I finish writing my thesis, so I'll need to get rid of some shit before then. I might watch this show to get inspiration.

I've already gotten rid of a couple kg of coursebooks and shit last year (I spent two days in front of a scanner at University scanning everything lol), but now a lot of the stuff that's left is worth money (eg an Xbox 360 and PS3) and I've been putting off getting rid of it because selling takes some time :(

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I actually read her book last night in a single sitting. A combination of cute, cringe worthy, surprisingly practical and inspirational. It's odd. Might be partially down to the translation or maybe she's not the best writer so the infomercial tone of some of it is outputting but, that being said, I don't doubt her passion for organizing and I do think she has it right that most pellle are weighed down by the stuff they have and just need to give themselves license to let it go. Her method of deal with categories, not rooms, makes a ton of sense and I hope I can be as ruthless with what I get rid of as her. I'm gonna give it a go, the full shebang method of the entire house, and see how that goes. It helps I'm moving in about 6-7 months so if anything I'll have less to move.

I should also probably start poking my head in the thrift store for any rare goodies that "spark joy" while I'm dumping off bags and stuff.

I mean thats every self help or similar book out there. She also doesn't speak English so there's that. Maybe her English publishing branch got the wrong tone.

You can get the gist of it in 10 mins. It's just that people and especially Americans love to hoard stuff. Only difficult stuff for me to pair down is books but eh, my full bookshelf doesn't bother me.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Those days are over lol. Even clueless grandparents google prices these day.

I do wish I started getting into retro gaming before google and eBay ruined it lol.

My wife's side of the family are hardcore sentimental (her dad kept literally everything from her childhood, and his parents kept everything from his and his brothers' childhoods). Her dad is always talking about how much of a goldmine their attic is. He's snuck up there with his phone and ID'd stuff on eBay and it's wipd how valuable some of those toys and whatnot are.

He snaked an original 1st edition DnD poster from the early 70s for us to hang that's worth bank.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Saying "Marie Kondo" in Spanish is weird, and, oddly enough, offensive. Lol

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I liked the show. And the memes.

Too bad some viewers are so defensive about keeping all their junk that they take offense to her methods; especially the ones with an extensive collection of books. It's not as if she's telling everyone to actually throw out everything they own and love. Obviously keep the necessary items and any shit you really like (sparks joy). The house greeting stuff is a bit eyeroll but whatever. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I mean thats every self help or similar book out there. She also doesn't speak English so there's that. Maybe her English publishing branch got the wrong tone.

You can get the gist of it in 10 mins. It's just that people and especially Americans love to hoard stuff. Only difficult stuff for me to pair down is books but eh, my full bookshelf doesn't bother me.

I do wish I could read Japanese and see her original intent with it. It's not bad, just feels oddly toned in parts. Her overall message, you're right, is pretty straightforward and common sense. Hell, most of the important points in the book are bolded so you could probably skim the whole book in 20 minutes.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like a bunch of people are mocking her for not having perfect English and it makes me mad.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Someone who became a legend from telling people common sense shit like tossing out things that you don't think about anymore because it's cluttering your living space.
In terms of decluttering, yeah. She's peerless lol. Who has gotten more worldwide exposure and compliance in this area than her?

I can't remember anyone else getting people to rethink their relationship with their possession like she has in the last twenty years.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Someone who became a legend from telling people common sense shit like tossing out things that you don't think about anymore because it's cluttering your living space.
It may seem like common sense to you, but have you been to peoples' homes? I'm talking normal, everyday people. Hoarders are in a category of their own, and so are the people on American Pickers that have entire warehouses full of stuff.

The amount of unnecessary garbage that people let accumulate because they think "it'll be useful at some point" or because they're irrationally attached to it is ridiculous. Sometimes a little bit of advice goes a long way to improving quality of life.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
My wife's side of the family are hardcore sentimental (her dad kept literally everything from her childhood, and his parents kept everything from his and his brothers' childhoods). Her dad is always talking about how much of a goldmine their attic is. He's snuck up there with his phone and ID'd stuff on eBay and it's wipd how valuable some of those toys and whatnot are.

He snaked an original 1st edition DnD poster from the early 70s for us to hang that's worth bank.

I will never understand why people keep valuable stuff in a room with extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I also have a pretty minimalist setup and while I haven't watched the show the ad for it did motivate me to finish up getting rid of a few extra clothes in my closet.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only there were some sort of vast knowledge resource at your fingertips.
Don't tell them our secret, or we'll be out of a job.

tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

I feel like her method only works for those with small living spaces -- I am way too much of a sentimental person but I do work at a Library and I already know how to weed books that are in poor condition/low circulating -- it's pretty much what I do with my dvds/blu-ray and books. If I just don't bother with them much, it's easier to take them to work and donate them.

Clothes, I just go with "does this actually still fit me" method (there are just way too many cute clothes are incredibly difficult to give up if I went by her method because they SPARK joy in me)

Video games, I refuse to give up. (I am still particularly salty over my loss of C64 a long time ago. Thanks, mom. -_-)

ETA-- I did kind of complain to my mom about that because she was slightly traumatized by how extreme her mother went with decluttering and lost a lot of her possessions while she was away at college. ("Yeah, well, remember what grandma did. Keep that in mind!")