• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
A bit over five years ago I scaled down from a big four bedroom house to a two bedroom apartment. Over the course of about four months before the move I got rid of so much crap, donating a bunch and taking to the dump the rest. Felt great to get rid of the excess possessions and I've kept a really good lid on it ever since.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I have my own method for decluttering but thanks to her show my wife is finally motivated to clean up her things which makes me happy.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My finacee and I make it a habit to hit our local thrift stores around once a week (best thing I've ever found was a pair of Bose noise cancelling OE2 headphones for $20). We're also in the process of going through our stuff and getting rid of things we don't need.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My old boss who owns a chain of bookstores here in Vancouver mentioned to me the other day it's been a boon for him.

I thought Kondo was fairly well-known as I'd heard of her methods from a bunch of people I know for a few years and she's always on best-seller lists but I get nothing beats having your own Netflix show.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Never heard of the show.
I think generally more people are now living in smaller spaces and being a bit more minimalist. I don't think that trend is because of the show.
The trend created the show. The show did not create the trend.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I saw one episode of this show with the bf and couldn't stand it. Just another typical, obnoxious American "reality" show.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people spamming memes about this literally who on social media lately. Yet another name to filter.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Remember that stressed out married couple from the first episode, with all those annoyed micro-expressions? They sure provoked my dread of domestic hell.

I saw one episode of this show with the bf and couldn't stand it. Just another typical, obnoxious American "reality" show.
How many obnoxious American "reality" shows teach a practical system for dealing with a nearly universal problem (among people above the poverty line)?

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
My fiancée binge watched this last week and is now on a downsizing/organizing tear. Which is great, because when she moved in she brought so much stuff that the apartment is constantly disorganized.

Haven't seen the show myself but gonna give it a whirl soon, as I love organizing and for things to be tidy. My mom got elfa installed in the closets in her house and I'm leaning towards that once we buy a house.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Remember that stressed out married couple from the first episode, with all those annoyed micro-expressions? They sure provoked my dread of domestic hell.

How many obnoxious American "reality" shows teach a practical system for dealing with a nearly universal problem (among people above the poverty line)?
They seemed super stressed out. The guy was working 50-60 hour weeks.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been living out of a locker and a small backpack for the past few months. I had to cut down nearly everything that I own. I still have things at my parent's house that I need to get rid of, but I'm happy to say that all of the things I own can fit into a medium sized suitcase.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Someone who became a legend from telling people common sense shit like tossing out things that you don't think about anymore because it's cluttering your living space.

For me, it's the way Kondo frames things that helps a lot to cut through the internalized bullshit and guilt about keeping/giving away items - not wanting to waste things, but simultaneously not using it nor needing it. Embracing gratitude isn't a new concept, but it's still a wonderful way to look at things, too. Her perspective about giving away unworn clothes is glorious: For example, it's important to express gratitude towards clothes you never wore. This is because the shirt taught you that you don't like to wear shirts like this.

Her folding and storage tips are excellent, regardless. I introduced my mother to Kondo about two years ago, and she's a Kondo folding beast. I'm not quite as good, but it really, really helps with space.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They seemed super stressed out. The guy was working 50-60 hour weeks.
Yeah, they were making me feel stressed. I suppose that episode wasn't a bad way to kick off the series, since a lot of people probably relate to that couple's struggle.

If only the usual fake-ass "dramatic" editing and music choices didn't make me feel like throwing my flat screen out the window.
I have some issues with the presentation too. It seems that the producers were aiming for mainstream accessibility. In that, I'm sure they'll be successful.

At least the content of the show has value, unlike most reality TV.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I donated clothes and household items last week. Something I've been meaning to do for years but Marie Kondo's show was the extra push I needed. Getting rid of that stuff feels a million times better than holding on to it, that's for sure.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
*crossing fingers for more classic games to show up in thrift stores*

"caress that copy of Earthbound. Does it give you joy? Of course not, it's 2019. Toss it into the donation bin, honey....."

Heh, most thrift stores in my area now know old video games equal "$$$" and put the games behind the jewelry counter at the eBay going rate or more. I've also heard some thrift stores make deals with local game stores or resellers to give them first dibs on donations. I'd wager a lot of retro games donated to thrift stores never make it to the floor.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch the show at some point, but I did quickly flip through the book, and I focused on a random page talking about collectibles and other little trinkets. I had a box full of figures I decided to put away years ago and I donated it all within 24 hours.

I've been meaning to clean up more, but found myself putting away too many things in storage instead. I don't think she's the trendsetter in cleaning up, but her philosophy is straightforward enough for a lot of people.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Minus my furniture, i can fit my entire life in my car. My goal is to be able to fit it all into just my trunk. I actually don't like owning a lot of things. I feel like i don't deserve it and should live a more simple life. Wife, on the other hand, is a borderline hoarder. 90% of the things in the house are hers. She is also an artist, so it comes with the territory.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The wife and I keep a spare cardboard box near the front door for our apartment and we toss "giveaway" items in there as we come across them. They go to local thrift stores every three months or so.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Minus my furniture, i can fit my entire life in my car. My goal is to be able to fit it all into just my trunk. I actually don't like owning a lot of things. I feel like i don't deserve it and should live a more simple life. Wife, on the other hand, is a borderline hoarder. 90% of the things in the house are hers. She is also an artist, so it comes with the territory.
What does she think of the show?

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
She inspired me to do my anual giveaway of crap from my apartment. So many gadget that I know I will never use again... The highlight of this time was my projector after thinking... hell I don't ever own a TV for years. bye bye projector...

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Saying "Marie Kondo" in Spanish is weird, and, oddly enough, offensive. Lol

Yep, I have to say Marie, then a long pause, and then say kondo.

Regarding about the thread itself, I made my mom what this and damn, she actually realized how much crap she's been accumulating over the years that she doesn´t want, or need.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely helped my wife.

Luckily I've had the attitude of only keeps what really makes you happy for years. Some things I do that help...
- all digital with my games so I don't have to store boxes
- only storing REALLY important things I'd never give away. For me, it's every previous Nintendo console with my collection of first party games. It all fits into 4 plastic boxes on a shelf in my storage room.
- only buying work clothes from the same store. This way, I have a consistent fit everyday and I love everything I own
- and I do have a collection of amiibo. But they all fit on one shelf of my entertainment center.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
My wife read the books about a year ago. Our house would be very uncluttered if not for the three kids we have!

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I literally only found out who she is last week because my gf watched Netflix. Now i read stuff about her and her show everywhere on the net.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I work at a Goodwill store. Had never heard of this until two days ago when a customer asked if we had had more donations than usual because of it. I'll say it's hard telling as the first couple of weeks of January are always super busy for our donation door. Garage sale season and these couple of weeks are our busiest times of the year. I assume people are just clearing out after the holiday. We also get way more people asking for tax receipts, even though they are always dated and we will absolutely not fudge the date (people ask constantly), so you can't use them until the following years taxes any way.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell them our secret, or we'll be out of a job.

tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

The fear of blowing up their laptop or smartphone in a huge-ass explosion or "suddenly" getting bills for a million bucks my parents have when a single error message pops up will never not amuse me...

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy from Goodwill if shipping wasn't from USPS and way too high (to Canada)
We have a pretty robust goodwill network in Alberta, and I've donated plenty to them in the past five years. A quick websearch shows Toronto area goodwill had financial problems a couple years ago, but they seem to be thriving plenty of other places including elsewhere in southern Ontario.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the show or read the book, but I'll admit talk about it got me to get rid of some stuff this past week. Want to go through even more too. But honestly I generally get that feeling once a year or so anyway (spring cleaning). Just happened a little earlier this year.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish I had the willpower to follow her plans and sort my house. My only issue is that every time they sort out a house, it's looks empty and sterile. Like a show home instead of a place people live in haha.