• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
xmo6tAM.png

Mario Community Thread

FSNzsPh.jpg

History

pmY1SoA.jpg

1981 - Donkey Kong was the first video game appearance of Mario. But Mario wasn't calle "Mario" at the time, his name in the Donkey Kong arcade was simply "Jumpman".

From Npr
Created by Shigeru Miyamoto who was a young game designer at Nintendo

Since Mario's first appearance in a a video game in 1981, 35 years later, Mario has made an appearance in around 300 different video games.

This thread is to celebrate our hero, Mario. Post your experiences with Mario video games, Mario Game & Watch games, board games Trump/Playing Card and Hanafuda Card games. Post your Mario merchandise, clothes, toys, amiibo, comics, books. Your hopes, your fears. Your memories. Talk about the Super Mario Bros movie from the 90's. This is a mostly positive discussion for anything Mario. Mario is coming to iOS, how do you feel about that? All sorts of stuff.

img-badge-full.png

Gold-Amiibo-Mario.jpg

Next Mario game:
12690751-2114797668896968.jpg

Join the NintendoEra Discord!!!!!
https://discordapp.com/invite/bnUCaya

Last edited:

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Latest Mario Game is going to be changed in a matter of days thanks to Mario Party The Top 100!

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Man Super Mario Odyssey is so fucking fantastic, the platforming focus is much stronger than 64 and Sunshine's, so it sorta feels like EAD finally cracked the "code" for me on sandbox Mario. This is the first time I'm enjoying a sandbox Mario as much as linear Mario games such as say, Galaxy 2, 3D World SMB3, or NSMBU!

Speaking of linear Mario though, that's been on my mind a bit lately. When it comes to 3D linear Mario, Galaxy 2 and 3D World seem really hard to top for me. I love the level design of the console NSMB games (so Wii and U), but I feel like Nintendo has pushed the "new" franchise as far as it can go without getting really stale (hell, most people already think its stale, I just didn't care because all I cared about was the level design lol).

So what I'm thinking is... what's next for 2D Mario besides maybe a Mario Maker sequel? I think 2D Mario is the line of Mario that could use the most expansion here. Personally, I'D LOVE the EAD Tokyo folks (yeah I know they're called something else now, but I forgot their name) to try their hand at a full 2D Mario game, since I think they've shown their linear level design chops very well throughout the years. Barring that though, as weird as this sounds for me, I hope the next 2D Mario has some sort of creative spark besides "excellent level design". Not really sure what kind of idea would be that creative spark however.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hey Max.

I'm gonna use this thread to do pieces on little known Mario games where Mario is still the main star.

Taking this from my post at the other forum:

90901-Mario_Clash_(Japan,_USA)-6.jpg

Mario Clash
  • Virtual Boy
  • September/October 1995
  • Producer: Gunpei Yokoi

This game is a 3D version of the original Mario Bros single screen arcade game. Supposed to be a very average game as well. Only single player too. The intro sees a Hot Air Ballon dropping loads of "things" into the top of Clash Tower, which is a huge skyscraper that reaches up into the clouds. Mario is at the bottom and enters to clear the tower of all the critters.

hqdefault.jpg
Mario_Clash_-_Nintendo_Virtual_Boy_screen_shot.png

Longplay video

tveir

Oct 27, 2017
donkey_kong_super_gamogsgv.png

I feel like Donkey Kong for the Gameboy needs more recognition. It's still one of my favourite Mario games of all time.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
donkey_kong_super_gamogsgv.png

I feel like Donkey Kong for the Gameboy needs more recognition. It's still one of my favourite Mario games of all time.
Yes, Donkey Kong '94 is fantastic. I think most people assume it's just a port of the original Donkey Kong, but it's a very fun puzzle/platformer with a surprising amount of enemy and level variety. It's on the 3DS eShop.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really liking Odyssey but I just want to say that I really enjoyed 3D World. It was really the first Mario game I got into. It had a lot of great platforming challenges. It was super charming. The different playable characters were an awesome addition. Definitely an underappreciated title even though it got really higher review scores. It certainly isn't a Mario 64 or Odyssey but it wasn't trying to be. I think if you're looking for a pure platformer, 3D World is one of the best.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Do you think that the Donkey Kong-esque Mario platformer would be viable to get back to? Super Mario has always been Mario's platformer series, but the few games that uses Donkey Kong as the basis (Donkey Kong GB and Mario vs Donkey Kong) has been quite fun. Seems that Mario vs Donkey Kong morphed into a puzzle series (which I like because I like puzzles), but I would love it if Mario's Donkey Kong style platformer returns.

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Little known Mario Games No 2.

250px-WC98_Boxart.jpg

Wrecking Crew 98
  • Super Famicom (Japan release only)
  • May 1998
  • Designer: Yoshio Sakamoto
The sequel to the original 1994 Wrecking Crew on the NES/Famicom, this game was a Japanese exclusive and plays like a combat action puzzle, Match 3, game. Much like Tetris, Puyo Puyo and Tetris Attack. Nintendo also included the original Wrecking Crew as part of the package but that game plays entirely differently.

il_340x270.1324948332_5ih2.jpg

wreck98-5.png

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
How many of those hand drawn Odyssey pictures have been released?

...and yeah that's a spoiler, don't have that outfit yet -_-

Hello, all! Big time Mario fan here, but always more to learn!

I think Shigeru Miyamoto wore a red shirt with Mario in that outfit several months ago when on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. (Also seen in gif form from the same show where Miyamoto starts with a thumbs down and pulls it up into a thumbs up, and where Bill Trinen does demonic tongue wagging.)

Looked up the GIF. Had to find the right one!

EDIT: Put the gifs in spoilers just in case!

2affmu1p.gif

Better yet for a better view:

shigeru-miyamoto-of-nqbu1n.gif

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
So I finally finished Odyssey and with it all 22 mainline Super Mario games.
Mario remains the only man in my life who has never let me down.

Nintendo have released one a month since July.

Nice. I can only find 4 though.
Donk / Cascade / Seaside / the latest one.
Which am I missing?

Hello, all! Big time Mario fan here, but always more to learn!

I think Shigeru Miyamoto wore a red shirt with Mario in that outfit several months ago when on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. (Also seen in gif form from the same show where Miyamoto starts with a thumbs down and pulls it up into a thumbs up, and where Bill Trinen does demonic tongue wagging.)

Looked up the GIF. Had to find the right one!

EDIT: Put the gifs in spoilers just in case!

2affmu1p.gif

Better yet for a better view:

shigeru-miyamoto-of-nqbu1n.gif
Great memory (and classic gif) completely forgot about that shirt despite wanting it the moment I saw it. One of Mario's best outfits!

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
Guys, I have a question: should I play Mario Galaxy 1 before 2? I played a bit of 1 back in the day, but didn't like how story-filled it was. I played a bit of 2 so far and I'm liking it more. Will I be able to go back to 1 later without problem, or am I doing it a disservice?

(Also, please please please play Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy. I know it's called Donkey Kong, but technically it's a Mario game!)
latest

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A new ERA and Ninji still hasn't made its long-awaited debut in the 3D series.

I'm also disappointed not a single grunt is playable in Mario Party Top 100---I would've taken Birdo over Rosalina so the roster would've been "equal" with everyone having a counterpart.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
A new ERA and Ninji still hasn't made its long-awaited debut in the 3D series.

I'm also disappointed not a single grunt is playable in Mario Party Top 100---I would've taken Birdo over Rosalina so the roster would've been "equal" with everyone having a counterpart.
While there are some things that are to like about Mario Party the Top 100, I have to agree with you on the unsatisfactory character selection here. The chosen minigames are mostly great and are worthy of being the "Top 100", but the character selection is surprisingly not as vibrant. Only Rosalina is a latecomer while the other seven are expected characters in a Mario Party game since Mario Party 3. I mean, I would even like Koopa Kid to return since he's practically the Mario Party representative in the games, since he was born in a Mario Party game!

I think that, if the developers were to revisit the concept of returning Minigames, this time including the handheld ones, they should add as many characters as possible, up to 16 (the amount of characters you can choose in Star Rush) or more, because it's a series where every game up to that point introduced at least one new playable character for boards/minigames since 5, except for Advance and DS. In addition to the main 8 since Mario Party 3, we would have at the very least: Toad, Toadette, Birdo, Hammer Bro, Shy Guy, Bowser Jr., Rosalina and Diddy Kong.

Mario Party 5: Toad, Boo, Koopa Kid
Mario Party 6: Toadette
Mario Party 7: Birdo, Dry Bones
Mario Party 8: Blooper, Hammer Bro
Mario Party 9: Shy Guy, Kamek
Mario Party Island Tour: Bowser Jr.
Mario Party 10: Rosalina, Spike
Mario Party Star Rush: Diddy Kong

Thank you for reading.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
So, let's talk the better Mario brother. Would you prefer a new Luigi's Mansion or a Paper Luigi RPG that plays like TTYD?

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Mario's got a very shiny new outfit in that game! I doubt this would be a costume you can wear in Super Mario Odyssey, since Mario's cap is the same as it always is.

I am surprised to see that Mario didn't get as much conversation as opposed to Sonic, who's already got more than 10 pages, whereas here, we haven't reached one page yet.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Mario's got a very shiny new outfit in that game! I doubt this would be a costume you can wear in Super Mario Odyssey, since Mario's cap is the same as it always is.

I am surprised to see that Mario didn't get as much conversation as opposed to Sonic, who's already got more than 10 pages, whereas here, we haven't reached one page yet.
What's everyone generally talking about on the Sonic thread? Is there a lot of discontent?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's insane how small the Mario dedicated communities are. Even on reddit.
I guess most Mario talk goes into Nintendo focussed topics online?

Anyway i love Mario games my first game ever was Mario Land on Gameboy Colour and Second Mario World. Loved the latter one more:P played that game to dead as a kid beat all 90+ levels, secret levels everything.

Mario Odyssey is my favorite that game is just pure joy. I am at 560 moons or so but i will come back regulary to slowly collect em all.

Also got to the Galaxy games last year eich i somehow missed during my kid and teen years and yeah those are the best linear level based platformer games ever. Even when i played them near a decade after release. And they still look fine on my 4k tv the pixalation is not too bad. Only those, NSMB Wii, Prime Trilogy and Wario Shake It still look acceptable on my modern tv.

My favorite 2D Mario is NSMBU combined with the Luigi DLC. But Mario World is still close and in my heart that game still is special to me. Same for Yoshi's Island really glad to have played those both as a young child.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I bought Rocket League on Switch today. So here's a pic of the Mario & Luigi cars that are exclusive to the Switch version.

-C_FNpoFadkSqZQGsZ0vZq150_-bVpbH.jpg

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Something I wish Mario games did more is to reference his origin in Donkey Kong, which is why New Donk City is such a treat: it embraces Mario's introduction that made him famous that he goes on to star in his own series. Compare this to most other Super Mario games, where his original Donkey Kong introduction is largely ignored.

What's everyone generally talking about on the Sonic thread? Is there a lot of discontent?
I didn't catch everything that goes on there, but from what I checked, it's neutral overall. After all, one of the things that people liked about the Sonic Community in the other forum is how it's a great place to discuss anything Sonic. I imagine that is carried over here. Of course, there's the fact that there are more active Sonic fans here so you can expect to see more people interested in Sonic posting there.

Honestly it's insane how small the Mario dedicated communities are. Even on reddit.
I guess most Mario talk goes into Nintendo focussed topics online?

Threads regarding Mario games tend to be active, such as Super Mario Odyssey, so I think people still like to talk about Mario. I guess Mario's lack of adherence to continuity is not for discussion. Once in a while you have some contested topic like Miyamoto clearly confirming that the Koopalings are minions of Bowser, and not his kids (only Bowser Jr. is his real son), which I think came as a real shock to those who preferred Bowser to have many lovely children.

Based on the Mario communities that I have seen that's not Reddit (because they have a community for practically anything):
  • Super Mario Boards: Probably the Mario community that I am familiar with, and it's one of the active ones. It's helped that it's related to the Super Mario Wiki (mariowiki.com), which is the definitive Mario wiki where you can find Mario-related information. Because it's an active Mario forum, I tend to go there.
  • The Mushroom Kingdom: It used to be the go-to Mario community, but nowadays updates are slower, and it's reflected in the forums where they seem to move slower than its heyday.
  • Mario Kart Boards: Still reasonably active, thanks to Mario Kart being an online game, and thus, a thriving community.
  • Mario Party Legacy: Although Mario Party is the third-most popular Mario branch after Super Mario and Mario Kart (maybe a distant third), its community seems to be pretty small. It's helped that Mario Party gets regular releases, whereas Mario Kart tends to go for longevity with each release. Perhaps it's not inactive, but it's not active either.
  • MFGG: Mario fan games even have their own community, which is likely because of the various gameplay styles that Mario introduced.
  • Wario Forums: Yes, it's not Mario, but I need to point this out because one thing I found interesting is how active this community is, despite the smaller (between 400 and 500) member pool.
Contrast this with Sonic, where I can name several forums with high activity: Sonic Stadium, Sonic Retro, Sega Forums (they have a dedicated section for Sonic, so it counts). Note that these Sonic forums are not dedicated to spin-offs, so in the Mario list, only two of them are general Mario, and one of them is low on activity (TMK).

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Something I wish Mario games did more is to reference his origin in Donkey Kong, which is why New Donk City is such a treat: it embraces Mario's introduction that made him famous that he goes on to star in his own series. Compare this to most other Super Mario games, where his original Donkey Kong introduction is largely ignored.

Yeah you're absolutely right. New Donk City was so great, especially the festival. It's a beautiful homage to the original Donkey Kong game.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys. Is anyone playing Super Mario Run? I'm trying to complete one of the adding friends missions but I'm a couple short. My code is 1696-8318-1236 if anyone can help me out.

My left Joy Con has been away for repair for more than a week so I haven't been able to play Odyssey all that time. I'm looking forward to it arriving back today!

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hey guys. Is anyone playing Super Mario Run? I'm trying to complete one of the adding friends missions but I'm a couple short. My code is 1696-8318-1236 if anyone can help me out.

My left Joy Con has been away for repair for more than a week so I haven't been able to play Odyssey all that time. I'm looking forward to it arriving back today!

Added you.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Super Mario-kun is the longest-running Mario comic out there, and it outlasts Archie Sonic at this rate! Only problem is, Mario's Japanese manga is pretty much in Japan, so we won't know what's going on in English. While most manga, even the less popular ones, got fans to translate the pages, I wonder why Super Mario-kun is not considered. I guess Mario's not attractive enough to be considered a priority?

Thank you for reading.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario-kun is the longest-running Mario comic out there, and it outlasts Archie Sonic at this rate! Only problem is, Mario's Japanese manga is pretty much in Japan, so we won't know what's going on in English. While most manga, even the less popular ones, got fans to translate the pages, I wonder why Super Mario-kun is not considered. I guess Mario's not attractive enough to be considered a priority?

Thank you for reading.

Well, there's only so much you can do with just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi.