• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Since Ubisoft's having discounts, I am most interested in Mario + Rabbids since it has like a pretty good discount. Would be good timing for me since I have finished all my Switch games, including Super Mario Odyssey.

Well, there's only so much you can do with just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi.

If what you said is a likely reason for fan translators to gloss over the material, I suppose that's a similar reason Doraemon is pretty much unconsidered for an English fan translation, since Doraemon's cast is largely the same (though they have at least got translations in other languages, which is better than what Mario got).

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Kelloggs-Super-Mario-Cereal-Box-Rumored.jpg

http://www.cerealously.net/rumor-mill-kelloggs-super-mario-cereal/

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
It turns out that the cereal is indeed real, and it's US exclusive. Not that it matters since the amiibo unlocks generic content, rather than something special. I wonder what is the character associated with this amiibo.

I am surprised that this year there is no Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, after learning that the Olympic license has gone to Ubisoft instead, who applied the license on their Steep game, meaning, this game is not itself Olympics-based, but they have an expansion that is Olympics-based. I suppose the bright side is that Tokyo's Olympics is still with Mario & Sonic, and I am kind of hoping that there are several guest stars from Japan like Doraemon, even though I imagine this would be a big hurdle in localising the game overseas due to the scattered licenses for manga/anime properties.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Hold on, so we're getting another Mario & Sonic Olympics game?
Don't quote me on this, but I think that is the case based on what I heard. There's still a lot of time before 2020, so it still remains to be seen if that were true, but I believe it because the idea that SEGA continues with Mario & Sonic is not unrealistic, even if they have to take an event off.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Don't quote me on this, but I think that is the case based on what I heard. There's still a lot of time before 2020, so it still remains to be seen if that were true, but I believe it because the idea that SEGA continues with Mario & Sonic is not unrealistic, even if they have to take an event off.
I wonder what the SKU's will be. No more 3DS by then so just Switch & Arcade.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Anybody seen this video? Since it's based in Singapore, I don't think many of us Mario fans knew about this. And you could even spot a scene where a popular GIF originated from:

I wonder what the SKU's will be. No more 3DS by then so just Switch & Arcade.
Found the news where Sega has confirmed to get the license: http://segabits.com/blog/2016/10/27/sega-confirms-its-making-games-for-2020-summer-olympics/

It will most definitely be on the Nintendo Switch, and if I were to guess, in case Nintendo comes up with an upgrade for the Switch, there will be a version for the Switch and the Switch successor. Of course, there's also the Arcade.

Thank you for reading.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious seeing people try and piece the Mario story together into one defined and neat timeline.

This one pieces together the platformers (except Super Mario Maker and Mario Run) and the Mario and Luigi games. But Odyssey really throws a spanner in the works of this video.

In the final battle of Odyssey, Bowser recognises many costumes including Builder Mario, Doctor Mario, Luigi, Wario, Diddy Kong and even Waluigi. One costume is even a homage to Mario Kart 8's sponsors. Doesn't this mean that Mario Kart 8 and Mario Party 9 happened BEFORE the events of Odyssey?

What about the fact that Mario Kart 8 has Yarn Yoshi amiibo on the shelves of Ribbon Road? Does this mean that Mario Kart 8 happened after Woolly World? Or perhaps at the same time? Since Daisy's Princess Orange and Moo Moo Meadows Milk seem to be present in Woolly World AND the new Yoshi game for Switch.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I'm shocked this thread generates such little discussion. It's Mario! There's literally 100's of games that could be talked about.

Ninja maybe nominate this for that sticky thread exposure thing. I guess just not enough people know this exists.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm surprised too given how the community at large loves the Mario series.

Super Mario Odyssey concept art.

DTO-yBHUMAA3s6v.jpg

DTF4wWAV4AEoOET.jpg

DTGQV2oVoAAojwQ.jpg

That Tostarena artwork is beautiful! I wish Nintendo was more forthcoming with concept artwork to their games since I would love to see the early designs of the characters and worlds.

The evolution of New Donk City in particular is something I'm really hoping Nintendo publicly releases.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
It's a shame that a community of Mario is not as big as I would have expected, since Mario's one of gaming's largest icons since his debut. Compared to Sonic, who while not as big, managed to accrue an active discussion in its community thread. I guess Sonic's got more things to discuss about?

I think I am grateful that Mario is a series that managed to find cohesion in diversity, given that his material have strange characters and places but they never managed to look out-of-place. Like there are a bunch of different enemies that include moles, chestnut monsters, tortoises and clouds that blows wind, but they existed in harmony. On the other hand, I kinda wish there is more diverse human female characters since the human women we have so far are doll-like. Even the human females in Super Mario Bros. cartoons are more diverse by comparison.

Thank you for reading.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that a community of Mario is not as big as I would have expected, since Mario's one of gaming's largest icons since his debut. Compared to Sonic, who while not as big, managed to accrue an active discussion in its community thread. I guess Sonic's got more things to discuss about?

I think part of it is that Mario doesn't really have anything controversial or juicy to spark discussion like Sonic, or heck even other Nintendo IP like Zelda and Metroid. The biggest debate topic seems to be whether people want more of the sandbox or course clear 3D Mario's, although I think most people agree they are all great games regardless.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I think part of it is that Mario doesn't really have anything controversial or juicy to spark discussion like Sonic, or heck even other Nintendo IP like Zelda and Metroid. The biggest debate topic seems to be whether people want more of the sandbox or course clear 3D Mario's, although I think most people agree they are all great games regardless.
I suppose you are right. Although I can think of a few topics that could be considered controversial, there is ultimately nothing to get worked up about I guess. For example there is a topic about Koopalings' relation to Bowser, and ever since Nintendo of America declared them as children of Bowser (even extending to the Mario cartoons), some people are offended by the idea that Bowser Jr. is his only son and that the Koopalings didn't appear for a long time. I believe that making the Koopalings related to Bowser is what saved them from obscurity, not to mention how early they appear in the life of Mario. Later on when asked by Game Informer, Miyamoto has clarified that the Koopalings are minions of Bowser, which is again something that some fans cannot accept at all.

Thank you for reading.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's driving me crazy how it's been 3 years since the Universal parks announcement and we still know so little about what Mario attractions we are getting.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Browsing this site is curious as it seems Nintendo now officially includes Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run amongst the mainline Mario series:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=mariobros

It's odd as Maker is blatantly a spin-off and Run, which was referred to as an experiment, is more-so.
In my head I even include Land 1 & 2 and Bros. 2 (USA) alongside Maker and Run in closely related but not quite mainline status.
The mainline to me is this:
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Odyssey
How do you guys see it?
Are Land 1, Land 2, 2 USA, Maker and Run mainline in your eyes?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Browsing this site is curious as it seems Nintendo now officially includes Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run amongst the mainline Mario series:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=mariobros

It's odd as Maker is blatantly a spin-off and Run, which was referred to as an experiment, is more-so.
In my head I even include Land 1 & 2 and Bros. 2 (USA) alongside Maker and Run in closely related but not quite mainline status.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Odyssey
How do you guys see it?
Since Mario Maker 3DS, yes absolutely.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I suppose you are right. Although I can think of a few topics that could be considered controversial, there is ultimately nothing to get worked up about I guess. For example there is a topic about Koopalings' relation to Bowser, and ever since Nintendo of America declared them as children of Bowser (even extending to the Mario cartoons), some people are offended by the idea that Bowser Jr. is his only son and that the Koopalings didn't appear for a long time. I believe that making the Koopalings related to Bowser is what saved them from obscurity, not to mention how early they appear in the life of Mario. Later on when asked by Game Informer, Miyamoto has clarified that the Koopalings are minions of Bowser, which is again something that some fans cannot accept at all.

Thank you for reading.

Late reply, but I gotta circle back to this, just because I'm a bit of a stickler.

It wasn't just the western branches of Nintendo that invented the idea that the Koopalings were his kids. The notion goes back to the original SMB3 Japanese manual, wherein Kuppa (aka Bowser) declared the Kokuppa (aka Koopalings) as such. The main contribution that the localization team made, that became a permanent part of the series from that point forward, were their names. The 7 didn't even have names in the original JP release!

Every other game afterward progressively downplayed the former familial bond (or just described them as Koopa's followers/disciples), but Japanese fans were just as familiar with the idea that they were "his kids" for the longest, too. At least until Miyamoto's comments in that fateful Game Informer interview made that clear.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Since Mario Maker 3DS, yes absolutely.
See Maker is an oddity for me as said.
Despite the 'Super' moniker, the fact Miyamoto produced it (the U version at least) and the bespoke Nintendo designed levels it's just lacking in far too many familiar hallmarks that mark a mainline game as such.
It's a simplistic deduction but when factoring in the sheer zaniness of Maker, from the many audio title screen greetings, Mashiko & Yamamura and just the whole presentation style alongside the fact that yeah, you make stuff, to me it falls in a strange sub-series alongside the DD Mario Artist suite and Mario Paint.
It's just this one has gameplay at its core.
It's also telling that like Mario Paint and Mario Artist it was simply titled Mario Maker originally, it took a while for the Super to become affixed.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Late reply, but I gotta circle back to this, just because I'm a bit of a stickler.

It wasn't just the western branches of Nintendo that invented the idea that the Koopalings were his kids. The notion goes back to the original SMB3 Japanese manual, wherein Kuppa (aka Bowser) declared the Kokuppa (aka Koopalings) as such. The main contribution that the localization team made, that became a permanent part of the series from that point forward, were their names. The 7 didn't even have names in the original JP release!

Every other game afterward progressively downplayed the former familial bond (or just described them as Koopa's followers/disciples), but Japanese fans were just as familiar with the idea that they were "his kids" for the longest, too. At least until Miyamoto's comments in that fateful Game Informer interview made that clear.

I appreciate you clarifying this to me, because this is new to me. With that said, looking at Mario Wiki's article on Koopalings, I wonder if the term in Japanese meant that the Koopalings are children or subordinates of Bowser, based on how the term could be interpreted more than one way. I will take your word on how the Japanese fans have come to (reasonably) assume that the Koopalings are Bowser's children. I can imagine how devastated the very fans felt when it was clarified that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only biological son while the Koopalings are more like underlings, as opposed to him having that many kids.

Thank you for reading.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Odyssey
How do you guys see it?
I think the website was created for marketing purposes first and foremost. I doubt that Super Mario Run and Super Mario Maker will go down in history as mainline games, but it makes sense to promote them as such right now.

Personally, I do see Land, Land 2 and 3D Land as mainline games, I don't make a distinction between handhelds and home consoles. SMB2 USA is mainline as well.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Something I would like to know: I remembered that Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog was listed as the longest-running licensed comic based on a video game in the Guinness Book of World Records, but I checked and found that Super Mario-kun started earlier (27 July 1991) than Archie Sonic (6 April 1993). Are there any factors that prevent Super Mario-kun from being counted as a forerunner for that title, if it's not due to territorial reasons?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
My brother had bought New SMB 2 since he bought his 3DS, and I only just now beaten it. Overall I'm lukewarm about it, I didn't find much of the platforming to 'wow' me like how I enjoyed 3D Land, and overall I think it is a solid 2D platformer.
As is however it and SMW are ranking rather low on my list of fav. Mario platformers.

Something I would like to know: I remembered that Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog was listed as the longest-running licensed comic based on a video game in the Guinness Book of World Records, but I checked and found that Super Mario-kun started earlier (27 July 1991) than Archie Sonic (6 April 1993). Are there any factors that prevent Super Mario-kun from being counted as a forerunner for that title, if it's not due to territorial reasons?

Thank you for reading.
Does the Super Mario-kun manga have more than 200 issues or chapters released from 1991 til 2016 at least?

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Does the Super Mario-kun manga have more than 200 issues or chapters released from 1991 til 2016 at least?
The nature between the comic format used by Sonic and manga format for Mario is quite different so I guess comparing them is not as easy, if it's put that way.

Without considering the time a comic started since we know Mario was ahead of Sonic, I presume Sonic is weekly which is also the case for Super Mario Kun because it was published since November 1990 on CoroCoro, a monthly magazine. In terms of reprints, Mario's got 53 volumes thus far (the latest one has a cover referencing Paper Mario: Colour Splash), and I am guessing that 12-13 chapters is the average for each volume so I would say it's approximately got more than 600 chapters at this point.

But then again this manga is not that well-known outside Japan so its existence might elude Guinness or most of the West anyway. I really hope we could get an omnibus for most of the collection because it's largely stuck in Japan. I have a feeling that if the manga were imported to Asian countries it could've been more popular like Doraemon or Dragon Ball (not as popular as them, but still decently popular), but I suppose it's not meant to be.

As a bonus, here's an image of a parallel for one of Super Mario Adventure's signature moments:

13277662_951359894962543_1849993632_n.jpg

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Recent Mario updates.

Mario vs Rafa Nadal

Super Mario Party
00001144_820_461.jpg

00001144_03.jpg

Nintendo have started making their own character goods.

Super Mario Travel
00001209_820_461.jpg

00001209_02.jpg

00001209_07.jpg

Last edited: