• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fun mind bender one, less related to our ages and more to console lifespans.

Even though Bungie was fully owned by Microsoft for a good chunk of time, they have a release on every Playstation console that competed against a Microsoft console.

PS2: Oni
PS3: Destiny
PS4: Destiny, Destiny 2

so funnily enough, a Microsoft console has never actually exclusively had Bungie games on it.

It's a total cheat due to how long the PS3/360 generation went on, but yeah.

edit:

if you want to get even looser with the definitions, the first Microsoft console to have Rare not still have a Nintendo release in that generation even though they've owned them since 2002 is the Xbox One.

GameCube had Starfox Adventures during Xbox's run.
DS had Viva Pinata during the 360's run (and Diddy Kong Racing, but Viva was a version of a 360 game and works better)

Sea of Thieves will be the first console generation where Rare only releases on Xbox.

Last edited:

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 (2017) is as far away from Castle Wolfenstein (1981) as Castle Wolfenstein is from the end of World War II (1945).

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 came out just over 8 years after Resident Evil 1.

That was nearly 13 years ago. I still regard games as before RE4 and after RE4.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
edit:

if you want to get even looser with the definitions, the first Microsoft console to have Rare not still have a Nintendo release in that generation even though they've owned them since 2002 is the Xbox One.

GameCube had Starfox Adventures during Xbox's run.
DS had Viva Pinata during the 360's run (and Diddy Kong Racing, but Viva was a version of a 360 game and works better)

Sea of Thieves will be the first console generation where Rare only releases on Xbox.

Don't forget the myriad of GBA games they released during the Xbox's run.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It has now been over ten years since Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Every entry in the entire Half-Life saga released in a shorter window (approximately 9 years).

human onion

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck goddamn. I was 11 for galaxy, it was one of my greatest memories. Then you consider how many Nintendo people were there for 64, now making odyssey.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Rare has now been a Microsoft first party studio for way longer (15 years) than they were a Nintendo second party studio (8 years). But they had a larger lineup of games on Nintendo systems than Xbox systems. 17 games under Nintendo and 11 games under Microsoft (not counting Rare Replay).

17 games in 8 years vs. 11 games in 15 years. Insane difference. Old Rare's output vs. new Rare's output is also a perfect example of how much the industry has changed.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, damn the last ten years flew faster, for better or worse.

On the other hand, we had that big of a gap - bigger, actually - between 64 and Galaxy and all it had to show for it was SUNSHINE? What the fuck?

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I was 15 when Beyond Good and Evil (and F-zero GX, for that matter) came out in 2003.

If BG&E2 was to come out next year (it won't, but let's pretend) it would be when I'm 30. My age would be literally double.

I could use the usually hyperbolic phrase "I've been waiting half my life for this" with no exaggeration whatsoever.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo changes the world of gaming in a roughly 10 years basis:

Super Mario Bros (1985)
Super Mario 64 (1996)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Galaxy is an amazing game but did it really have an impact on the way other games are designed? I don't see much influence.

It's too soon to tell for Odyssey.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, the NES was already considered old skool when the N64 came out (it would have been 13 years old at that point) and, yet, the GCN is now 16 years old but if we were to start calling the PS2/GCN/Xbox old skool like we did the NES back then, people give you odd looks.

I mean PSX and N64 are only just getting that throwback love.

Oct 25, 2017
When Donkey Kong 64 came out millions of kids went "wtf is this OLD boring shit" when they were forced to play the original donkey kong, an 18 years old game.

And well, this year DK64 turned 18 years.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 64 DS came out 8 years after the original. It has now been 13 years since SM64DS.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is, the NES was already considered old skool when the N64 came out (it would have been 13 years old at that point) and, yet, the GCN is now 16 years old but if we were to start calling the PS2/GCN/Xbox old skool like we did the NES back then, people give you odd looks.

The last gen was really long, and the jump can... SEEM smaller regardless of the technical truth

But I file them under retro on the PS4. Fuck it, basically everything there is at least a decade old.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 is as old as the NES was when the PS2 came out.
giphy.gif

Wolfenstein 2 (2017) is as far away from Castle Wolfenstein (1981) as Castle Wolfenstein is from the end of World War II (1945).
giphy.gif

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Microsoft have almost been in the console game for longer than Sega were

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how much gaming progressed during that time. N64 games look ancient, but Mario Galaxy still looks pretty solid when it's running in HD.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I'm old enough to have appreciated both Mario 64 and Galaxy in their heyday, feels good man.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Key word is relevance. How many knew of them before the Genesis? Even when the Saturn landed with a dull thud they were officially a key player to keep an eye on until they exited.

My fact didn't have anything to do with relevance

You could argue Nintendo were not relevant during the Wii U days but that doesn't mean they were not in the console market

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

The PSX and N64 have been getting throwback love for many years now.

I personally can't quite call the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation of consoles as "old school" or "retro". I'm not even sure I could call them "classic" consoles. It just doesn't feel right lol. And this is coming from someone who was a child when these consoles were new! I think it just kinda depends on what you grew up on. I can call the SNES and N64 classics easily, whereas it just feels wrong for me to do the same for the PS2/GCN/Xbox. I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe it's because the 6th gen was the point when all consoles were disc based for the first time? Or maybe the graphical difference between that era and today isn't as big as the early 3D era vs. today? I dunno.

But who am I kidding? I'm sure some 10-15 year old somewhere considers the X360/PS3/Wii generation as "old school" because they grew up with it lol. I have a friend who is 18 years old and he was acting all nostalgic about Mario Galaxy recently and it made me feel super old even though I'm only a couple of years older than him haha.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
My fact didn't have anything to do with relevance

You could argue Nintendo were not relevant during the Wii U days but that doesn't mean they were not in the console market
Admittedly my statement earlier was more a separate point, an observation of their rise to prominence and complete fall rather than time in the console market period. Perhaps a better reference point would be that it was a decade from when Sonic debuted to when the Dreamcast was finished?

And I just realized Sonic is reaching double the period of time as a multiplatform 3rd party mascot than as Sega's equivalent to Mario, god damn.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Now think about how many years console manufacturers were in the business.
Of course Nintendo is the oldest still active but consider this:

Atari (various company incarnations): from 1977 to 1996 - 19 years
Sega
(I count from the very first SG-1000): from 1983 to 2001 - 18 years
Microsoft
: from 2001 to 2017 and counting - 16 years

Microsoft will relatively soon surpass both Atari and Sega in the console business longevity.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now think about how many years console manufacturers were in the business.
Of course Nintendo is the oldest still active but consider this:

Atari (various incarnations): from 1977 to 1996 - 19 years
Sega
(I count from the very first SG-1000): from 1983 to 2001 - 18 years
Microsoft
: from 2001 to 2017 and counting - 16 years

Microsoft will relatively soon surpass both Atari and Sega in the console business longevity.

Yeah that was basically my point, but you have made it better by providing the actual dates

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, their period of relevance as a console manufacturer was about a decade, wasn't it? Genesis in 1989 as I recall, to the DC steamrolled by 2001.
The only Sega console that sold more than 15 million units was the Mega Drive/Genesis.
Overall all Sega consoles sum together amount to about 75 million units.

So compared to Sony, Nintendo and even Microsoft it could be said that Sega was never that widespread
Of course the context was different in the '80s and '90s and you could profit even from a lower install base though things started to get costly with polygonal based consoles and the barrier to be able to compete higher (in fact Sega and a bunch of other console manufacturers left the console business in late '90s / early '00s).

EDIT:
I actually think that Master System sold more than Saturn or Dreamcast on the back of European and South America markets.