• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
The madman just finished ranking every single Mario-titled game ever made. Of course the best game Andretti Racing was ranked 54, and before you all ask, Mario Party was ranked 14. Now to post the thing you all entered this thread for:
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Sunshine
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Mario Party 2
10.Yoshi's Island
11. Super Mario 64
Definitely give it a partial watch (it's 7 hours long), it's loads of fun, as is Dan's channel. If you want to see the full final list, it's at 06:53:37. Be warned headphone users, loud Mario screams can be heard for a minute long.

Last edited:

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Well I have lost all respect for Dan now /s. No SM64 and 3d World is in there - ewwww. Good to see Sunshine in there though, it deserves it.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Putting Sunshine in your top 10 is the best way for me not to respect your tastes and opinions.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not a bad top 10. Not the order I'd put it in exactly but it is a good top 10

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Odyssey needs to check itself. No way it deserves a place that high.

I recently replayed the original Super Mario 64 though, and found that the game gets steadily worse the further into it you get. Previously I'd have put it at number 1, but definitely not in the top 10 when I've put fresh eyes over it. (still might be my favourite though)

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Bros 35 is a good example of why SMB doesn't have anything to do in a top 10 of best games. The Mario Bros physics are just infuriating.

Solid list! I agree with the top 3.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Putting any 2D Mario above the likes of Galaxy, 3D World and Odyssey is an opinion I've gotten used to seeing, but one I'll never get. It just feels wrong calling a 2D Mario the peak of the series when it made such a good jump up to 3D.

There's even 3D Land/World which is the 2D Mario formula one 3D!

Not saying that 2D games are automatically worse, but when declaring something the best in the series, it just needs to show off development skills and making a phenomenal 3D mario game is a much bigger and grand endeavor. And there's like 5 of them.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine on the top 10? Are the rest of the games that bad?
Why did he put the worst 3D Mario at #3?
sunshine is not a top ten mario game. it's just not.
Proof opinions can be factually wrong.

by that I mean, outside of some odd Mario games not on Nintendo consoles, you can make the argument almost any Mario title belongs in the top 10.

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of Mario games are good so in my view most lists are valid. Not gonna sit here and complain one masterpiece is rated above another.

OP
OP
Handicapped Duck

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
This tbh.

Glad to see 3D World and Sunshine getting love (replaying sunshine has made me appreciate that game even more). Interesting that 64 didn't crack his top 10.

Also do Yoshi's Island games really count?
It has Mario in the title, so yes it does. To be honest, I had no idea there were 130 Mario-titled games. Some of them are obscure as hell.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still shocked that he considers Sunshine better than 64 after Steal my Sunshine.

Does Sunshine Mario controller better (FLUDD-less) than 64 Mario? Yes he does.

But what use is that when there are way more frustrating and infuriating moments/level designs in Sunshine than 64? WAY more.

Not to mention some baffling design decisions which weren't even there when they made 64, a groundbreaking game mind you, so what excuse is there for Sunshine when Nintendo already had 3D platform experience by then?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why did he put the worst 3D Mario at #3?
tenor.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Pleasantly surprised to see 3D World so high. Got a feeling it will get a new wave of appreciation when the Switch port releases.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sounds like a Dan thing to do. Also I prefer 3 over World cuz I'm one those people.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
ppl really seem to like Super Mario World. Its another blind spot for me. Since i went from NES to Genesis. Never had SNES. I've played recently on Switch. And was not impressed. I would have to have the original Super Mario Bros on there. And Mario Maker is too good to not be a top 10

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
There's too many god damn games. But I agree on the top game. I'd probably take out all the 3D platformer games that aren't SMG2 and pick some of the JRPGs for top 10, namely Superstar Saga and Mario RPG. And Mario Kart DS. That shit ruled.
Also, take off SMB2. It's undeserving.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to see 3D World so high. Got a feeling it will get a new wave of appreciation when the Switch port releases.
Not only from core gamers here even, I see 3D World having MASSIVE potential to really blow up among the masses. That multiplayer can do wonders.

All comes down to how important Nintendo considers it. If the advertising shows they think it's just a Wii U port to dump and fill the lineup, that potential is wasted.

But I think they can actually get away with positioning it as a tentpole title. Especially if Bowser's Fury is exciting for double dippers.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Not only from core gamers here even, I see 3D World having MASSIVE potential to really blow up among the masses. That multiplayer can do wonders.

All comes down to how important Nintendo considers it. If the advertising shows they think it's just a Wii U port to dump and fill the lineup, that potential is wasted.

But I think they can actually get away with positioning it as a tentpole title. Especially if Bowser's Fury is exciting for double dippers.
Well it seems like the most substantially enhanced Wii U port since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Is Super Mario Special in the list at all? Jeff Gerstmann played that game and it looks like the hottest pile of shit.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Not to mention some baffling design decisions which weren't even there when they made 64, a groundbreaking game mind you, so what excuse is there for Sunshine when Nintendo already had 3D platform experience by then?
As a sunshine fan, the flaws in level design are made up with charm. And frankly I find the moveset and physics of Sunshine mario to be some of the best in the series when you factor in how you have to use the tools at your disposal to be effective (Odyssey is the best Mario has ever felt, but virtually every jump in the game is solved with jump -> throw hat -> bounce hat -> throw hat again -> dive, and the skill required in executing this is non-existent. For that reason, I put Sunshine's physics above it). Fludd might be a bit of a mixed bag, but it allowed for varied level design in a way that no other mario game really has.

Granted, a lot of what I said about Sunshine's moveset also applies to Mario 64, and I think that's where the discrepancy of varied level design and charm come into play.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Bros. for the Game & Watch being at 125 below several of the low-budget edutainment games is the real thing to get mad about here

OP
OP
Handicapped Duck

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Okay, I have to disagree, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for the Wii U is ranked 90, above Dr. Mario, , all non-mainline Mario Party's including the mini-game collection, Ultra Smash was an unfinished, bare bones terrible game.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Wait. Super Mario World and Bros 3 are 2 different games? :0

I have drunkenly bought 3D All Stars (in the lockdown the next day regrets hit differently) and playing through super Mario 64 and galaxy - Odyssey is truly superior. I get that Odyssey is going through "it wasn't that good actually" period 3 years from release but I keep thinking at least once a month how great would it be to go into this game blind. The endgame is the weakest part of that title.