• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
It just keeps selling. At this rate it's going to make Animal Crossing fight it if it wants to come on top.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved, it's the perfect kart racer. That being said, after playing it for 6 years, I need a sequel with new tracks.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Obligatory:

Polygon.jpg

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
New game never ever. Nice for the game but man i'd love new tracks or anything.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Well deserved, it's the perfect kart racer. That being said, after playing it for 6 years, I need a sequel with new tracks.

They just announced Sunset Wilds for Mario Kart Tour with a dope new remix, and it gives me a bittersweet feeling. That's one of my favorite Mario Kart tracks ever and I've always wanted Nintendo to bring it back, but not like this haha.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I thought for sure AC would claim the #1 spot this quarter but Mario Kart isn't going down without a fight.

I honestly don't know what they can do for 9 though.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely massive.

And this is why it's baffling some thing we will see next MK on the Switch. It's definately Switch 2 bound.
Not releasing any DLC is weird though.

Oct 27, 2017
Equally important to posting the pie chart is posting the article from whence it came.

sv1WhXt.png

https://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

They will argue all day that they meant the Wii U version, but what's funny is... at over 8 million units it outsold both Super Circuit and Double Dash. I suppose they didn't take into account that Mario Kart sells consoles lol. I'm surprised they haven't pulled that article down altogether.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Kart 8 outselling Mario Kart Wii seems like huge news, not sure if its the thread title not really making it clear enough

Oct 26, 2017
They will argue all day that they meant the Wii U version, but what's funny is... at over 8 million units it outsold both Super Circuit and Double Dash. I suppose they didn't take into account that Mario Kart sells consoles lol. I'm surprised they haven't pulled that article down altogether.

They didn't take into account that the DS and Wii games gave the series a huge popularity boost. MK7 sales have almost doubled since they wrote that article.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It won't, not even when combined with the Wii U version. MK Wii sold over 37 million units and MK8+MK8DX won't even come close to that.

The Switch version might outsell Mario Kart 7 though... it still has a long way to go however...
That's also not happening. We're just about coming up to the Switch's half-way point in its lifecycle and MK8DX nowhere near tracking towards that. Only Mario Kart Wii has ever managed more than 30 million and I really doubt that MK8dx will manage that (even if you add the Wii U version, I doubt it'll outsell MK Wii).

Mario Kart Wii was just utterly monstrous. MK8dx will probably top out at about 24 million when all is said and done (which is already a tremendous performance that will handidly beat MK7 (18.38 million) and puts it roughly on par with MKDS (23.60 million) ).
🙂

Sorry but not sorry

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
At this rate I'm expecting one day that infamous Polygon chart to be true but with "MK8 sales" at 99M instead lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Knew this was gonna happen but didn't think it was going to be so soon.

Now the question is when MK8DX alone is going to surpass MKWii.

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe alone is now in the Top Ten of the best selling Nintendo first-party titles of all time, coming in at #9. If you count the Wii U version as well, it's at #3.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
It's just insane to me how well this continues to sell 3.5 years later. Yes it's Mario Kart, and yes it's good, but still.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminded me I haven't played in a while. Nothing like smoking a J and then hopping into some online Mario Kart haha.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
It's super impressive, but why are we comparing a game released on two platforms against another released on just one?

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's super impressive, but why are we comparing a game released on two platforms against another released on just one?
Well, because we are comparing different entries with one another. You're right that 2 platforms vs. 1 is not an equal playing field, but if you wait a year or 1.5 years, we can do the same thing without combining the two versions!

Joxer

Oct 27, 2017
Well, because we are comparing different entries with one another. You're right that 2 platforms vs. 1 is not an equal playing field, but if you wait a year or 1.5 years, we can do the same thing without combining the two versions!

There always seems to be a strange reluctance to group multiple versions of Nintendo games together, even if they're essentially the same game or released relatively close to each other. Maybe it's because Nintendo themselves count them seperately or perhaps because Nintendo software has set absurd standards as exclusive, mostly one-off SKUs.

But you often see games like GTAV, FF7, TLOU, Skyrim and various Capcom franchises like Resident Evil or Monster Hunter counted as one game, even though the differences between the versions and the timespan of the releases is often much bigger.

Obviously, it's not really important. But on a List Wars basis, it makes just as much sense to group the aforementioned together as it does for MK8, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and even the third Platinum/Ultra Sun/Moon versions of Pokemon games.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who buys a switch thinks about MK. Not everyone buys it of course, but usually is pretty high in anyone's list.
If Nintendo discounts the game a bit permanently, I bet it would reach 60 millions of so once everything is said and done.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Probably about to pass 30M this moment if it hasn't done so already.

Should do 4-5M this holiday quarter. LTD I think will be >55M.