• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Just only on Online matches, as long as at least one person owns the DLC. (So you need at least the base NSO sub)

www.nintendo.co.uk

Mario Kart 8 anywhere, anytime!

With Nintendo Switch, fans can enjoy the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 anywhere, anytime, even with up to eight friends in local wireless multiplayer.

Courses from wave 1 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass can be played from March 18th locally or online in Friends and Rivals races, even if only one player owns the Booster Course Pass or has access to it as part of a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership. From March 22nd, courses from wave 1 will also appear in the Random selection when playing Global or Regional races with anyone online.
This is... actually pretty generous of Nintendo. I was expecting separate DLC/Non-DLC matchmaking like they did on Wii U, but this is considerably better.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
so i can just jump into pubs and play all the tracks?

this is the right move, as it would fracture the online base from the haves to the have/nots

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Generous and good choice by Nintendo, because this will make sure DLC owners find matches just as quick as those playing the original tracks.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
That's awesome of them and expected, I still need those tracks for myself tho.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Note that it says wave 1. The others probably won't be included. Think of it as a demo you get to play once out of every 20 or so races

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Note that it says wave 1. The others probably won't be included. Think of it as a demo you get to play once out of every 20 or so races

That sounds like a really bad idea if it's just wave 1 because you then need to have lobbies with everyone having no DLC, everyone with DLC, Everyone with only 1 of the DLC Packs, Everyone with 2 of the DLC Packs etc...

Might as well just make it all available online, not like I think Mario Kart is going to be lacking players online no matter what DLC Configuration they get.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a really bad idea if it's just wave 1 because you then need to have lobbies with everyone having no DLC, everyone with DLC, Everyone with only 1 of the DLC Packs, Everyone with 2 of the DLC Packs etc...

Might as well just make it all available online, not like I think Mario Kart is going to be lacking players online no matter what DLC Configuration they get.
No, there would just be 2 lobbies, those with the DLC and those without, they're not selling the waves individually. Those without would have a 1/7 chance of playing a wave 1 course when random wins the vote count. If random wins 1/3 of votes, which seems about right from my memory, that means you'll get a dlc course every 21 races on average.

OP
OP
Jave

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
They specifically state "Courses from Wave 1 can be played from March 18", because March 18 is where Wave 1 releases. This seems to imply that the next waves will become available on their respective release dates.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They specifically state "Courses from Wave 1 can be played from March 18", because March 18 is where Wave 1 releases. This seems to imply that the next waves will become available on their respective release dates.
Maybe, it just seems unlikely they would give it all away forever. While it would start as a 1/7 chance of getting a dlc course at first, by the end it would end up at a 50% chance, which would pretty heavily discourage people from buying the dlc. That's just too generous, I don't see them doing that. The other likely option for my money is that each wave will be available in random for non-paying users until the next one comes out, when that one enters the pool and the previous wave leaves.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Makes sense, people who didn't have smash dlc could still play against them, wouldn't make sense to artificially segregate the player pool.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Getting it for "free" from the expanded sub anyway. Very cool because it won't split the player base but it should really be the norm.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Makes sense, people who didn't have smash dlc could still play against them, wouldn't make sense to artificially segregate the player pool.
They already took that approach on Wii U. People with DLC had separate matchmaking lobbies than those without it. And it's not really comparable to Smash DLC. You're not paying to play against a character, you're paying to play as the character. In Mario Kart, you're paying to race on the track. That's the whole point. And this is saying you don't need to pay to race on the track.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
If that's the case then I don't need to buy the DLC at all. I exclusively play MK8 online.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'll probably buy it regardless because I like to have the tracks when I play by myself, but this is a very good move.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, good guy Nintendo appears! Thats great news. I mainly only play online anyway, so this is a plus. I had 0 intention of buying the DLC pack so its cool that Ill still get to play these courses and the online community wont splinter into non dlc owners and dlc owners.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
That's awesome. I have a group of 10-and-so friends who play weekly and knowing that only one of our accounts has to buy the DLC will save us a lot of money.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wondered how this was gonna work for online play and I assumed this would be how. It specifies that those courses appear in "Random" select. What I think this basically entails is that if someone you're playing with has the course pack, they can select it when in a player lobby, but the same won't apply for those who don't own it. Basically if you're playing with a group of online friends or even randoms who don't own the DLC, you're way less likely to get to play on any of the DLC courses, let alone any of the courses you actually want, unless you get really lucky with the Random selection option.

It makes the most sense, and anything different would fracture the player base. Smash and every other fighting game does the same thing where you can play against and experience DLC content that an opponent has, but you can't be the one to select it.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wondered how this was gonna work for online play and I assumed this would be how. It specifies that those courses appear in "Random" select. What I think this basically entails is that if someone you're playing with has the course pack, they can select it when in a player lobby, but the same won't apply for those who don't own it. Basically if you're playing with a group of online friends or even randoms who don't own the DLC, you're likely not going to get to play on any of the DLC courses you actually want unless you get really lucky with the Random selection option.

It makes the most sense, and anything different would fracture the player base. Smash and every other fighting game does the same thing where you can play against and experience DLC content that an opponent has, but you can't be the one to select it.
This makes a lot of sense, I agree this is the best way Nintendo could've gone with it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I guess it makes sense to not split the playerbase. Being only $25 it is still a great deal for the amount of tracks.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wondered how this was gonna work for online play and I assumed this would be how. It specifies that those courses appear in "Random" select. What I think this basically entails is that if someone you're playing with has the course pack, they can select it when in a player lobby, but the same won't apply for those who don't own it. Basically if you're playing with a group of online friends or even randoms who don't own the DLC, you're likely not going to get to play on any of the DLC courses you actually want unless you get really lucky with the Random selection option.

The reason I don't think this is the case is because it would suck for the people who do buy the dlc, as it would dilute the pool of players with access to the dlc, and would significantly decrease the frequency that those courses would appear when playing online. They would appear at identical rates whether players bought the dlc or not, and that rate would be significantly below the average rate of the normal courses because a large fraction of the lobby wouldn't be able to select them. You would very rarely ever see them online and then people would rightly question why they bought something they can't reliably play in the game's biggest mode. No one would be satisfied paying just to play them offline and to slightly increase the chance that they appear when playing online

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
It makes the most sense, and anything different would fracture the player base.
On the Wii U MK8, that was exactly what happened. The online player pool was split between DLC owners/non-owners.
They could just as easily do the same thing for Deluxe, because the number of players is even bigger. But luckily they won't.