• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will it eventually pass Mario Kart Wii?

• Yes

Votes: 201 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 155 43.5%

• Total voters

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Based on recent numbers, the Wii U and Switch sales now total 26.33 million copies, having now overtaken Mario Kart DS and trailing only behind Mario Kart Wii.

Full series sales (in millions) below:

Mario Kart Wii: 37.20
Mario Kart 8: 26.33
Mario Kart DS: 23.60
Mario Kart 7: 18.38
Mario Kart 64: 9.87
Super Mario Kart: 8.76
Mario Kart Double Dash: 6.96
Mario Kart Super Circuit: 5.91

6CDC12A0-CF21-4F04-AFF6-D0EA371E8D04.jpg

Last edited:

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Do you guys think it can still surpass Mario Kart Wii from here to switch life end?

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Kart Wii introduced the trash that is bikes in my Mario Kart, so I hope it gets dethroned.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The Polygon article was stupid back then as well. They were proven wrong by the Wii U sales alone.

Bringing it up now just seems petty though. Like two thirds of those sales come from the Switch version.

With that said it's great to see it do so well on the Switch. It's one of my top 3 favourite Mario Karts and those sales are well deserved.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOAT Mario Kart and GOAT kart racer, better than Mario Kart DS, CTR and Sonic Transformed, games I really enjoyed. In terms of pure gameplay it's the best the genre has to offer, sucks it has no proper single player mode progression, especially in the Switch version where everything's unlocked from the start.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kart 8 was my second least favourite, and Deluxe lands in the middle because of the 200cc

But the coin item is the single worst thing in the series and I'm annoyed this game brought it back. 1st place is the most boring thing in the world when nearly half your items are a coin that does literally nothing to help you.

And contraversial opinion time, but I think Wii is better. Inward Drifting bikes are the best handling and most fun vehicles in the entire series. And it's got better track design as well with only a few duds like Shy Guy Beach. I would be perfectly fine with Wii keeping the crown.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
~11 Million units to sell will be tough. Maybe some more DLC would help, but i think they're done with MK8 DLC.

Jun 2, 2019
I think it will reach MKWii if given enough time. The only thing i don't like about that is that it means that we wont get MK9 for a few years.

Dammit i bought MK8DX not long ago and ended giving it to my sister since i already played MK8 (With both DLCs) for hundreds of hours on Wii U. I NEED a NEW Mario Kart

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Suck it, Polygon. I guess it's far from being "the worst-selling game in franchise history" and the 1.26m you predicted.

Yes it was a very dumb chart, but also this thread itself vindicates the main point of that article: Mario Kart 8 was crippled by the Wii U's unpopularity. And also next time you go after a website for no apparent reason, maybe don't use casually homophobic insults to do so.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What is this nonsense?

You seem like you were triggered by the cast of the Ghostbusters.

Back when the original version of MK8 came out, Polygon did a nonsensical article about why it would bomb and be the lowest selling MK game in history, along an infamous graphic that demonstrated the person who did the article didnt understand pie charts.

As MK8 continued to sell well and blow past milestones, Polygon continued to report those milestones and adding in the end of every article a link to their non sensical article with words like "still, it's going to be the lowest selling MK game ever, here's why".

Traditionally, Era mocks the polygon article every time MK8 blows through another milestone.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
The Polygon article was stupid back then as well. They were proven wrong by the Wii U sales alone.

Bringing it up now just seems petty though. Like two thirds of those sales come from the Switch version.

With that said it's great to see it do so well on the Switch. It's one of my top 3 favourite Mario Karts and those sales are well deserved.
And the crazy math was by looking at platform sales, ignoring that with Nintendo hardware/software it's more likely to be closer to 1:1 when it DOESN'T sell well because you'd have more of the dedicated fans still hanging around.

With Switch being one of the hit Nintendo platforms, the crazy math would indicate it would sell gangbusters again.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Performed admirably on WiiU, and continues to flex on Switch. It'll be tough to outperform the Wii one though. That was the big new entry at the peak of the Wii's popularity, and it just kept on selling for what seemed like forever. 8 Deluxe on Switch not being a new game kind of capped its potential. It also makes a Mario Kart 9 more likely on the same system, which would probably limit what legs 8 still has as well once it happens.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
But the coin item is the single worst thing in the series and I'm annoyed this game brought it back. 1st place is the most boring thing in the world when nearly half your items are a coin that does literally nothing to help you.

That's why the double item box is great. Even if you are 1st, you are guarenteed to have an item other than a coin.

Oct 27, 2017
Double Dash is, I'd sell my soul for a double dash 2.

Not sure if 8 will outsell Mario Kart Wi, I don't think so, but it's also not really fair considering how literally everyone had a Wii. Even people who didn't play games.

Mario Kart is one of those games people will pick up alongside a new system irrespective of when they buy it.

If the Switch eco-system is around for another 4 years - in whatever form - and there's no MK9, then there's every chance it could do it.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
1.2M last quarter, more than in the same period of last fiscal year. And it's probably a safe bet to sell at the very least another 4 this year alone, possibly I mean probably more.

I wouldnt rule it out that MK8/DX to be the best selling game in the franchise to be honest.. I would however rule out a MK9 on the Switch. It's gonna be an early title for Switch 2 however.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it was a very dumb chart, but also this thread itself vindicates the main point of that article: Mario Kart 8 was crippled by the Wii U's unpopularity. And also next time you go after a website for no apparent reason, maybe don't use casually homophobic insults to do so.
The article specifically said at one point that Mk8 would be the lowest selling Mario Kart, due to the poor Wii U sales, and that didn't even turn out to be remotely true just looking at the Wii U version alone.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised combined numbers be at 32m by the end of this FY alone. It's 100% surpassing MKWII by the end of FY2020. MK8D alone will take a bit more time.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Best Mario Kart. MK Wii was a very weak entry, but despite of that it has a special place on my heart due to the awesome times I spent with my family playing it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's unforgivable that they gave us all these great battle stages but no stock mode. Biggest wasted potential in the series.

Otherwise it's great to see people still interested in Mario Kart - and it also instills hope that they will be able to one up it with the next one.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say that there's no chance that MK8 will outsell the insanity that was MK Wii, but looking at the numbers... it's actually a maybe. Selling an additional 10 million copies on Switch definitely isn't unthinkable. Especially if they start bundling the game at some point in Switch's life (which IIRC did happen with MK Wii eventually).

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The article specifically said at one point that Mk8 would be the lowest selling Mario Kart, due to the poor Wii U sales, and that didn't even turn out to be remotely true just looking at the Wii U version alone.

No, but it was well below every entry since the DS. Not saying it was a good article, but the general point that poor hardware sales hold back software was both obvious and correct. The current topic has nothing to do with the article anyway so bringing it up for cheap potshots doesn't even make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it was well below every entry since the DS. Not saying it was a good article, but the general point that poor hardware sales hold back software was both obvious and correct. The current topic has nothing to do with the article anyway so bringing it up for cheap potshots doesn't even make sense.
GBA sales were great though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If you add up MK8 + MK8D, it will definitely pass MK WII. If you don't, then MK8D has a chance to pass MK WII, but it is far from certain yet. Monster sales regardless, of course

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't think it can reach Wii numbers without a DLC or anything like that.

But it can be just me, a person who is waiting a dlc to buy it since I already played the wiiu version to exaustion, saying so maybe the rest don't need it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All Nintendo has to do is put out a MK8D Bundle with the OG Switch for $300 (which they might do before any real price drop) and then this game will really take off again.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
MK8D alone will do it. It'll be at 23M by end of calendar year and 24-25M by end of FY. Next year they could do a $199 bundle with the Switch Lite for holiday 2020.

It launched earlier in the Switch lifecycle (month 2) than MKWii (month 18), so slower start but better legs.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
More than halfway there and switch is still 300?

I think it will likely beat it. Switch still hasn't fully hit mainstream audiences that will skew mario kart prone

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
If you are combining the sales of both versions, then sure I think it can surpass MKWii. Doesn't really make sense to lump 8 and DX together though as many people would have double-dipped. Switch also gets a further boost by being more likely to have multiple copies sold per household

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can we at least separate out Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

MK8 had 8.44m units sold
MK8d had 17.89 units sold

It paints a totally different story than just having them as a single point on the chart. It'd also be interesting to know what percentage of users have either purchased both, or sold one and purchased the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on recent numbers, the Wii U and Switch sales now total 26.33 million copies, having now overtaken Mario Kart DS and trailing only behind Mario Kart Wii.

Full series sales (in millions) below:

Mario Kart Wii: 37.20
Mario Kart 8: 26.33
Mario Kart DS: 23.60
Mario Kart 7: 18.38
Mario Kart 64: 9.87
Super Mario Kart: 8.76
Mario Kart Double Dash: 6.96
Mario Kart Super Circuit: 5.91

6CDC12A0-CF21-4F04-AFF6-D0EA371E8D04.jpg

Suck it, Polygon. I guess it's far from being "the worst-selling game in franchise history" and the 1.26m you predicted.
I can't tell if you're joking and this a rib or if you're are actually still mad about that.

Were sales threads always people's grudges, or am I just really late in noticing this?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IMO it's fair enough to correlate MK8 & MK8D like this, just ad with GTA on various platforms and TLOU on PS3 & PS4.

They are both MK8.