• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The weekly sales of Mario Kart 8D have quadrupled over the last three weeks, and the other games are probably not too far behind.

They are also going to have a great December on the back of Smash Bros.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could MK8 reach again the top thanks to the bundle?

1. Super Mario Odyssey
LTD: 12.17 million units

2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
LTD: 11.71 million units
It was already destined to. Wonder which game will be the first to reach 20 million sales. MK8D definitely has the lead, but I feel a unprecendented Smash debut will make it a close race. Don't think there will be enough time for next year's Pokemon to give it a shot.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
botw literally made zelda a series that can stand alongside mario and mario kart. that's very impressive.

feels like i'm the only person in the world with a switch but not mario kart 8 deluxe
i was the same until recently. then i saw a used copy and picked it up, turns out it's pretty fun.
i hadn't played a mario kart game since DS, so the jump was pretty crazy for me.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
botw literally made zelda a series that can stand alongside mario and mario kart. that's very impressive.

i was the same until recently. then i saw a used copy and picked it up, turns out it's pretty fun.
i hadn't played a mario kart game since DS, so the jump was pretty crazy for me.

I played it on Wii U to death so as much as I'd like to play it in my bed, am not paying full price or even more than half of it for that
will hope to find a cheap used copy soon

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a bizzarre thread.

As a result, Xbox One exclusives such as Forza Horizon 4 (No.5), Minecraft Master Edition (No.33) and Forza Motorsport 7 (No.34) all shot up the charts, with sales rising 535 per cent, 1768 per cent and 573 per cent respectively.

PS4 exclusives Spider-Man (No.6), God of War (No.21) and Detroit: Become Human (No.35), saw sales rise 634 per cent, 1283 per cent and 826 per cent respectively.

And finally, Nintendo Switch regulars Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (No.10), Super Mario Party (No.24), Super Mario Odyssey (No.25) and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (No.38) rose 98 per cent, 110 per cent, 110 per cent and 111 per cent.

All the major franchises from the other developers rose 5 to 12 times as much as the Nintendo ones. This is NOT a good look for Nintendo.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
All the major franchises from the other developers rose 5 to 12 times as much as the Nintendo ones. This is NOT a good look for Nintendo.
The attachment rates for Nintendo games is very high in comparison to ps and Xbox. I think there's something like half of Switch owners have Zelda that would be like Spiderman selling 40 million copies. There is less people for Nintendo to sell to and they have a lower install base.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*hears a rumble in the distance*

eQoID8x.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
What a bizzarre thread.

These games outside Mario Kart 8D aren't bundled and are not discounted significantly. Also this doesn't take into account they had large increases the last two weeks according to Chris(that reports on the pal charts).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a bizzarre thread.

The sale of these games had already pretty much doubled the week before with the release of Pokémon and had increased the week before.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's the Black Friday effect. Not Pokémon. Also, other games were up a lot more during the same week. If anything these figures are weak.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Didn't xbox and ps4 games have an even bigger % jump. Could you include them in the OP too?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's honestly incredible how Zelda has skyrocketed into this territory from where it was with SS. As much as that game sold multiple millions and was hampered in a couple of ways I never expected BotW to utterly change things this much, even after playing it and loving it. Because let's face it no one (not literally no one but you know what I mean) cared about pretty much all of the past 3D Zelda games bar maybe OoT and TP after say a year and a half since their release yet here we are with BotW and it's showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Mario and MK are more expected but still impressive, especially MK which also doubled its sales last week on Pokemon week as already mentioned.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
They were up last week too, it is also not weak because they were not discounted to the same extent the other consoles exclusives were, it's not that hard to understand is it?
Context is just another way of making excuses, in the biggest commerce week of the year these games had weak rises compared to the competition. Even taking into account the week before they are way, way below.

Spin it how you like to make yourself feel better, this hasn't been a good week for Nintendo outsold in hardware by a barely discounted 5 year old competitor, games barely rising, a pretty standard drop for Pokémon compared to other recent first party releases that didn't have BF help and weak rises for other first party games.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has never traditionally done well in Europe compared to PlayStation, so any sales more than distant distant third is something of a miracle

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly incredible how Zelda has skyrocketed into this territory from where it was with SS. As much as that game sold multiple millions and was hampered in a couple of ways I never expected BotW to utterly change things this much, even after playing it and loving it. Because let's face it no one (not literally no one but you know what I mean) cared about pretty much all of the past 3D Zelda games bar maybe OoT and TP after say a year and a half since their release yet here we are with BotW and it's showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Mario and MK are more expected but still impressive, especially MK which also doubled its sales last week on Pokemon week as already mentioned.
I think it helps that this Zelda is much more sandboxy and mechanically deep than its 3D predecessors leading to a lot more shareable social media moments.

The preceding games were some of my favorites, but they were very puzzle heavy and there were generally only one solution for each puzzle. It's harder to keep people engaged in talking about that.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Context is just another way of making excuses, in the biggest commerce week of the year these games had weak rises compared to the competition. Even taking into account the week before they are way, way below.

Spin it how you like to make yourself feel better, this hasn't been a good week for Nintendo outsold in hardware by a barely discounted 5 year old competitor, games barely rising, a pretty standard drop for Pokémon compared to other recent first party releases that didn't have BF help and weak rises for other first party games.

Do you have any figures relating to revenue generated by titles on the chart? Nintendo could bust their games down to ÂŁ20 like their competitors but they never do. I wonder why.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean Zhuge said that Pokemon did well and that "all 3" consoles sold relatively well.

Think I'm gonna side with him. These numbers are good.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Last I checked context is an important part of sales? If you want to dismiss these facts then you obviously are not willing to have an adult conversation about what these sales mean and just make it look like you are trying to console war.

Show me where any of the Switch games listed in this thread were sold for ÂŁ13 like Detroit was?

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I mean Zhuge said that Pokemon did well and that "all 3" consoles sold relatively well.

Think I'm gonna side with him. These numbers are good.
Good is relative though, Sony and Microsoft don't have to sell 14.9m hardware units from October to March. For them the generation is winding down, anything they sell is a bonus. Nintendo are supposed to be entering the peak years of the Switch and it's not pulling ahead of the PS4 at all.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Good is relative though, Sony and Microsoft don't have to sell 14.9m hardware units from October to March. For them the generation is winding down, anything they sell is a bonus. Nintendo are supposed to be entering the peak years of the Switch and it's not pulling ahead of the PS4 at all.

Oh look you're using context here, I thought context was just a whole bunch of excuses?

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Last I checked context is an important part of sales? If you want to dismiss these facts then you obviously are not willing to have an adult conversation about what these sales mean and just make it look like you are trying to console war.

Show me where any of the Switch games listed in this thread were sold for ÂŁ13 like Detroit was?
Yes, the context is 20m hardware units for the year. In the biggest sales week of the year Switch hardware got beat by the five year old PS4. If Nintendo are happy with this (and I think they probably aren't) then more fool them.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

OK I think I'm gonna want to drop this. There's still another 4 months to go until the the end of this and I don't really feel like engaging in the millionth argument about Nintendo's 20 million forecast on this site in a thread that's only tangentially related to that.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
OK I think I'm gonna want to drop this. There's still another 4 months to go until the the end of this and I don't really feel like engaging in the millionth argument about Nintendo's 20 million forecast on this site in a thread that's only tangentially related to that.
It's not tangentially related, it's a sales thread bigging up a pretty poor performance from Nintendo in one of the largest gaming markets in the world in the biggest commerce week it has. Everything Nintendo do will be judged by that, and so far it's been a pretty rubbish performance sales wise. Getting beat by a 5 year old console which is blatantly on its way out is a bad result, everything else is just spin to make people feel better about it.

And that's with one of their two holiday tendpoles out on the market already. Weak.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Yes, the context is 20m hardware units for the year. In the biggest sales week of the year Switch hardware got beat by the five year old PS4. If Nintendo are happy with this (and I think they probably aren't) then more fool them.
Nintendo getting beaten by deeply discounted systems during a sales weekend famous for deep discounts doesn't actually prevent them from meeting their sales targets for the year. If there's anything we should have learned from last year, it's that PS4 doing super well doesn't prevent Nintendo from also doing super well.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why do people have to console war in these kinds of threads...yes the PS4 is doing amazing, we know this. Does it need to be rammed down the throat of everyone in a thread about Switch games sales?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not tangentially related, it's a sales thread bigging up a pretty poor performance from Nintendo in one of the largest gaming markets in the world in the biggest commerce week it has. Everything Nintendo do will be judged by that, and so far it's been a pretty rubbish performance sales wise. Getting beat by a 5 year old console which is blatantly on its way out is a bad result, everything else is just spin to make people feel better about it.

...and in another country(one that's a bigger market than the UK) the Switch is probably going to sell more in December than the PS4 has sold all year.

I'm sure they won't be losing sleep over being slightly behind in one of their most challenging markets, especially when the PS4 is still doing really, really well.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you believe the success of another console during BF week in the UK will have any tangible effect on Nintendo's ability or inability to ship 20 million consoles this fiscal year, you should probably quit while you're behind.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I kind of agree with this, but PS4 sold about 20M last year, so the two don't necessarily negate each other.

Also 'only' about 16M in its second year, so Switch seems to be beating PS4 launch aligned. Consoles nowadays have a bit of a strange sales curve where it's more right skewed than left skewed. Although I'm not sure that will hold for Switch as well.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Nintendo getting beaten by deeply discounted systems during a sales weekend famous for deep discounts doesn't actually prevent them from meeting their sales targets for the year. If there's anything we should have learned from last year, it's that PS4 doing super well doesn't prevent Nintendo from also doing super well.
Deeply discounted? Clearly you're not from the UK.

Additionally, it's not about PS4 sales being good or bad. It's about using PS4 sales as a comparison. The switch needs to sell 14.9m units from October to March, there's no sales pattern the PS4 had that would get the Switch anywhere near those levels and if it's putting in a similar or worse performance so far (and it looks to be the case) it's a poor performance compared to the targets Nintendo have set.