• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Won't make a thread for all these obviously but this is clearly unprecedented for a full price first party game so yeah there ya go, 50 million can you believe it.

Source:

IIRC the Wii U version sold at least 7 million if not 8 so yeah significantly over 50 million already, not even 8 (heh) years old too.

Edit: yeah it was 8.46 million exactly for the Wii U game. And MK8D is now the 2nd highest selling Nintendo game ever credit to MondoMega for stating this first in the other thread.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Holy shit these numbers

Smash Ultimate gonna be hitting 30 million eventually. Mario Party will probably hit 20 million. Absolute insanity.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Someone post that article.

mynintendonews.com

Polygon Removes Their Mario Kart Pie Chart And Hopes You Didnā€™t Notice

Remember that Polygon article that had that nonsensical pie chart which was part of the article explaining to us how Mario Kart 8 would be one of the worst selling games in the series?

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

mario_kart_sales_releative_to_platform.jpg

To be fair, it was the 3rd Worst-Selling after Double Dash and Super Circuit...

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
500 Reasons Why Mario Kart 9 Won't Find Success On Switch After A Recent Milestone

PokƩmon

Oct 27, 2017
5 million last quarter, what a beast of a game. People already played the game on Wii U they said, no one is going to buy it again they said.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Mario Kart 9 as a launch game for Switch 2. Just watch that sucker fly off shelves.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that full list, and damn, end of an era. Splatoon 2 finally knocked out of the top 10 selling Switch games. Wild how the floor for the top 10 is now 13.5 million

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Well deserved! Excellent game and really polished with great gameplay.

It's also still the prettiest Nintendo game ever made, and it has a top tier soundtrack as well.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i don't think anyone would have predicted that the Mario game to finally surpass the original SMB would be a Mario Kart.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The best Mario Kart game gets the best sales. To me, it's more impressive that Deluxe has sold 43 million units alone off the back of being a port with very minimal changes compared to the vanilla game. Must be so profitable for Nintendo.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
That is a (almost?) 50% attach rate. Has any other game every reached that level, other than wii sports?

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
mynintendonews.com

Remember that Polygon article that had that nonsensical pie chart which was part of the article explaining to us how Mario Kart 8 would be one of the worst selling games in the series?

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

3rd worst-selling that is roughly 7 times more than their projected sales numbers and millions far from the worst selling ever, and just a few hundred thousand less than the 4th worst-selling though...just putting it to context how badly they projected MK8.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jesus Christ, 43 million on a single platform. That is godly and basically free money since it's an enhanced port of a Wii U game.

How much has GTAV sold as most on a single platform?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
mynintendonews.com

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

This shit gets me every time, along with the "don't read too much into the ps4 million sales" article and the "you can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p boom!" Gif of ign staff talking about xbox one vs ps4 at launch. Honestly it's shocking that there are so many bad takes in gaming press that no one stops being put out into the public.

On topic, congratulations to Nintendo for this. Mario kart 64 was a good deal of my gaming time growing up and Mario kart 8 has become one of my main uses of my switch. It's one of the few games where my wife and brothers gfs, who don't game much or don't play games at all, want to play with us because they enjoy it so much. Battle mode is our go to weekly thing as a group online and while I wish there was more content in that mode, it still keeps us going years later.

Looking forward to Mario kart 9 and hopefully we get another great game and good battle mode.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Nintendo pretty much Disney out here...if only they made powerful hardware man...

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember, in the lead up to the Switch, some people were seriously arguing that MK8DX would not sell well because people already bought it on Wii U and that Nintendo was lazy for porting Wii U games over in general.
Ah, those were the days...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
mynintendonews.com

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

Maybe the pie chart was meant to be lifetime sales of Switch version vs WiiU version. Polygon were actually prophets :P

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Insane numbers. Hell, I almost bough it myself this holiday season to play with my niece during the holidays... I resisted, lol. I can't give in to this juggernaut.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That top 10 is looking crazy. You have to wonder if Splatoon 3 will ever make it on that list

Oct 28, 2017
if my math is right, this has made more money than Avatar or Avengers Endgame or at very least its close to it.

Absolutely insane!