• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Mario Kart 9 happen on Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 287 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the peak of the series so far. It has the best track design, a ridiculous amount of content, and great online functionality, not to mention a confluence of all the best mechanics from the franchise so far, and a battle mode that doesn't suck, at last!

On the Switch, it is also selling like a brand new Mario Kart game would, in spite of the fact that it is an enhanced port of a Wii U game. In about less than nine months from release, it has already sold 7.6 million units, and it is en route to overtake the Wii U original, which was at 8 million units by the end,

Given the game's performance, as well as the fact that every Nintendo system so far has only had one Mario Kart game ever, do you expect there to be a Mario Kart 9 on Switch? Why or why not?

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
They'd be crazy not to release a new mainline Mario Kart in the Switch's lifespan. I don't think one per system needs to be a rule.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I think if they're planning on supporting this system until at least 2024, then another one will arrive at some point in the Switch's lifetime.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think they will make a Mario Kart 9 on Switch.
There's not much room for graphical improvements, it would split the userbase, and probably release with less content since 8DX is packed full of it.
I'm expecting 8DX to get new DLC and continue selling for all of Switch's life.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no handheld in sight, there's no DLC to sell. Pretty sure we won't got 5 years without a new MK game.

Might be summer 2020, like the studio usually does

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah probably in a few years when the legs of Deluxe have died out a bit, since it's still sellin very well legs wise.

Nintendo wants to use Switch for a long time so i doubt they will wait till switch 2 or whatever is next, wich is atleast like 5 years off. And then MK9 deluxe probably on that system :p

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you asking if Nintendo is done making new MK games?

These threads... I mean....

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm sure we'll get it at some point, but given the evergreen success that MK8 Deluxe continues to enjoy, I doubt it's top of the priority list right now.

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Kart 9 will come out for Switch 2. However I think Switch 1 will be forward compatible with some games which means it will be playable on Switch 1.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost certain that they will.

If they wanted to push MK8D as the only one for the system, we'd already have seen DLC for it,

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm very conflicted on this one. The mechanics and visuals and content of 8DX are great, there is room for more DLC... But a new one could bring the goods, too.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I think yes, because the Switch is in some ways two consoles in one; in other words, the whole purpose of the hybrid platform was to effectively double the system's software support, and, given that opportunity, I just don't see why Nintendo would pass up the cash cow that is Mario Kart, especially considering the proposed extended life cycle as per their recent shareholder meeting.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I think it will happen a few years down the road. I expect the Switch to have a rather long life, so not too soon.

Do I want it to happen? Actually no...
IMO MK8D is pretty close to being a perfect game. I would rather want them to support it with DLC further down the line.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I expect Mario Kart 9 Switch in either Spring 2020 or Fall 2020. Nintendo stated they'll support Switch 5-6 years so expect one more Mario Kart sequel, before we move to Switch 2

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
If they truly intend the system to have a seven year life span then probably yes

Though depending on the canonicity of the mobile version, it may be Mario Kart 10.

They haven't counted the GP arcade games in the numbering scheme though.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know. I could see MK9 on Switch or as an early title on its successor.

Same with Zelda and Mario tbh

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
This is just a matter of time, we are only at the beginning of the Switch lifetime. Nintendo has a lot of games in development that we will see in next few years from now, it's a safe bet that next Mario Kart is at least planned.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not before 2020 or even 2021, but if Switch keeps being successful we'll see MK9 on it for sure.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
They'd be crazy not to release a new mainline Mario Kart in the Switch's lifespan. I don't think one per system needs to be a rule.

Ports are an exception to this rule.

2019 is the earliest, but I think 2020 is the most likely.

I really don't think they will make a Mario Kart 9 on Switch.
There's not much room for graphical improvements, it would split the userbase, and probably release with less content since 8DX is packed full of it.
I'm expecting 8DX to get new DLC and continue selling for all of Switch's life.

The switch is about 4x more powerful than the Switch from a GPU perspective. There's more of a gap than the gc and *wii, and it has more advanced shaders. So from a graphic perspective, its not a problem. Hell, why should it be? We got Splatoon 2. The only thing that's going to really push the next mario kart game is innovation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect a Mario Kart 9 to happen on Switch, but not for another few years. The mobile game will surely boost sales of MK8D when it comes out late this year/early next year. I feel like they'd be wise to let that combination run its course before introducing a new title.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
1/ The Wii U doesn't exists MK8 is the Switch MK;
2/ New release is MK tour.

To be serious, yes if Switch last long enough IMO MK9 is a given.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Considering deluxe was a port that got enhanced, I'd say a Mario Kart is due that's made from the ground up exclusively for the Switch.

We're getting it with Zelda, so I'm 99% sure we'll get it for Mario Kart too.

And when that happens, I hope they go crazier and reach further with the amount of playable racers. Theyve been doing it with 8, with splatoon characters, animal crossing and Link, etc. I just want more of that. Heck, if it's possible then get characters from other IPs like how they did with the Smash series!

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo said that they are planning to support the Switch for 10 years, so we are definitely getting another one.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Ports are an exception to this rule.

2019 is the earliest, but I think 2020 is the most likely.

The switch is about 4x more powerful than the Switch from a GPU perspective. There's more of a gap than the gc and wii u, and it has more advanced shaders. So from a graphic perspective, its not a problem. Hell, why should it be? We got Splatoon 2. The only thing that's going to really push the next mario kart game is innovation.
What? The gap from GC and Wii U is massive, and the Switch in handheld mode is only slightly more powerful than the Wii U, as you can see MK8 performs about the same on handheld and Wii U. It's also 1080p 60fps docked so I don't see what they could do to make a big enough difference without compromising resolution or performance.

Edit: not sure what Splatoon 2 has to do with it, if anything a similar situation would be not getting a Slatoon 3 on Switch, which I also think is not gonna happen

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It will arrive eventually but I think were bo longer in a generational cycle with the Switch.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let me see Mario kart series is one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, and the switch is doing great and has the potential to be one of Nintendo's best consoles. So yea they're making Mario kart 9 for the switch.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
I was always hoping that with the DLC, MK 8 would just become a platform rather than more sequels getting made. Maybe with the Switch being more popular, a new MK could end up being that.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so. I expect in 2019 or 2020 release. There are are things I want for the next game. I want Pauline as a playable character, reduce the length of invisibility from mario kart 8 deluxe which I found it hilarious when I saw some players get hit more than 2 times in a short time and buff blue shell. The blue shell feels bit weak in mario kart 8. I think they need to buff little bit more.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I would love if it stayed one iteration per console and instead of brand new entry make a big DLC release with at least 6 new cups 4 tracks each - 3 brand new and 3 retro remixes + some extra characters and maybe QoL improvements - like being able to swap weapons from two slots. Or even a "sequel" DLC in vein of GGXrd

I think it would be a shame to abandon, inevitably with brand new sequel, some of the tracks - making the online for 8DX obsolete.