• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Mario Kart 9 happen on Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 287 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.0%

• Total voters

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I'm not sure if a true 'Mario Kart 9' will hit the Switch...

...Mario Kart Maker would be my guess...if we get anything.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Two of the three games you cite as precedence are not yet released lol. One isn't even announced.

I mean, I agree with the reasoning, but still.
Haha true. But I believe Miyamoto or Kimishima mentioned one time that Nintendo's mobile releases are part marketing for the big releases (?) so based on that a mainline Mario Kart can't be far off.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just a port we're definitely going to see Mario Kart 9 on Switch. But I have a feeling the Wii U version of Smash that will inevitably be coming will be more substantial and have a new name and therefore will be considered Super Smash Bros. 5 and be the only Smash on Switch.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
The first game is only a port, and they have done at least one new Mario Kart game for every generation, so yeah I would totally expect a new one.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hold my breath for it releasing anytime soon.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on how their plans to support the Switch pan out in the end. If it's a traditional 5-6 years lifespan, there's probably no need to cap the sales of MK8D when they can instead prepare 9 for the Switch successor.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest what games are people expecting in 2019 considering 2017 and 18 cover almost all of Nintendo's IP's.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe selling like a new entry almost had me doubting it, but Kimishima saying they would like to support the Switch for a longer period than normal has me voting yes. It would be interesting if it came in the form of Super Smash Kart or something similarly unique, though, considering Mario Kart already is on the system.

Out of interest what games are people expecting in 2019 considering 2017 and 18 cover almost all of Nintendo's IP's.

That's assuming all their announced games are even slated for 2018, which they obviously aren't. And outside of those, there are plenty of untapped IPs that could show up later. Not to mention nothing is stopping them from another game in IPs that are already on the Switch.

Last edited:

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they will, Switch will have at minimum a 5 year lifespan, perhaps as much as 7, Nintendo isn't going 8-10 years without a new Mario Kart entry because of a port or a mobile game. That franchise is too important for them.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm more-so curious about Mario.

It's normally one game per system (right?), but since Odyssey came out so soon after launch I would be very happy to see another entry in the life-span of the switch.

PLS

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
No don't see a new MK on switch anytime soon MK8 is perfect as it is no need for a new one

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
I don't think it will published for Switch, and I don't think they should do it.
Maybe a new dlc with new tracks for MK8.

I really hope that ex-ead1, after mk8 and arms, will create a new single player game.
The last one they did was Luigi's Mansion (2001!).

Oh well they did Nintendogs. I mean a new "traditional" single player game

Deleted member 36718

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 23, 2017
MK9 will be a launch game for the Switch 2 or whatever. I wouldn't expect another one on the current Switch unless they do a cross generation release (maybe adopting a n3DS/PS4 pro model of successor systems). MK8D is selling too well for them to release MK9 anytime soon.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I certainly hope so. It'd be a real bummer if the Switch was the first Nintendo platform without a Mario Kart title of its own. (NES and Virtual Boy notwithstanding)

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't bet on it. I'd love a new Mario Kart, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Outside of Virtual Console games, there has never been a Nintendo platform with two new Mario Kart games.

In my opinion which, admittedly, will probably be controversial, I think the reason the series has been able to evolve and get progressively better rather than stagnate and lose popularity is because of Nintendo's restraint in terms of releasing new sequels. Sequels should be reserved for when they have great new ideas.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I am very conflicted on this, but I don't think it will happen.

Mario Kart shipped an enormous amount of units on Wii and DS. Both of these platforms existed for a long time, and both of them got Mario Kart games very early into their lifetimes. Despite this fact, neither Mario Kart DS nor Mario Kart Wii received updates or sequels.

HD development is extremely costly. If Nintendo released a new Mario Kart on Switch, perhaps total Mario Kart sales on the platform may increase by a double-figure percentage, but one would definitely displace the other. Setting aside the point that there will be some confusion and frustration (unless the titles are compatible), the value proposition of Mario Kart 9 would have to be *exceptionally high* in order to win parents and kids alike over.

In all, it doesn't make financial sense to produce a new Mario Kart when it wouldn't significantly bolster either total franchise sales or the diversity of the platform's library. It would be more effective for the team to put their knowledge and resources into other projects.

However, with digital sales performing so well and online becoming an increasingly critical function of the game, perhaps Nintendo may try releasing additional DLC or Amiibos with the launch of the new online service. Perhaps additional tracks and characters? Missions? "Expansion packs"? The holy grail (Adventure Mode)?

Returning to Wii and DS – what we saw on these platforms was Nintendo attempting to release additional "Mario Kart-like" games to sell to the dedicated players – such as Diddy Kong Racing, Excite, and DK Barrel Blast – while the Mario Kart propers continued to sell.

Last edited:

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Probably yes, maybe in 3-4 years time. Remember that Nintendo wants the Switch to have a long lifetime, so they could publish it together with a "new" Switch.

I can't wait to race across the roads of New Donk City.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
For me MK8D is the pinnacle of the formula. I can't imagine what they could do without going full Diddy Kong Racing or Modnation. I'm fine if they leave it alone for a while. If only Nintendo had some other racing franchise that is incredibly ripe for a modern game...

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
If it happens I expect them to take some major risks. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is basically perfection already.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they support Switch for longer than 5-6 years as they claimed, it would seem like it will definitely release on Switch.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, MK8D is selling gangbusters and could easily keep doing so for the whole life of the Switch, so there might be some merit in keeping to one-per-platform.

On the other hand, it is technically a last-gen game, and a new Mario Kart could just as easily sell like crazy. And the Mario Kart team needs something to do (especially since ARMS was not as popular as perhaps was hoped).

So in the end, I think my reluctant conclusion is yes. Probably not until 2019 or 2020 though.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will probably happen, but near the Switch's lifetime if it does.
They'll be cruising on MK8DX legs for a while.

Namdrater

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin / Cape Town
I really hope so. I was super disappointed by MK8. I haven't played a Mario Kart since MK64 (and have no idea what the expected content has been), but I was expecting so much more. Gameplay feels top notch and tons of tracks is superb. But this game doesn't feel deep enough to me that I can just enjoy racing without cool challenges or progression. The online and multiplayer options, as with all things Nintendo, are laughable and barebones.

Some things I'd like to see. A proper single-player mode with some story involved. A bit like Crash Team Racing was on the PS? And competition challenges online (i.e. 4 tracks per multiplayer match). That should really be the bare minimum added.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! No way Nintendo leaves all that money and free promotion on the table that comes with announcing/releasing a brand new new Mario Kart, especially when you factor in how popular the switch seems to be. Plus, i already played enough MK8 on Wii U and want to play a new one with improvements.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart Deluxe is 9. Tour is 10. So the next Switch entry will be 11. That is my headcanon. Not sure if they will continue numbering or not.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would be incredibly bummed if they didn't make a new game for Switch. As great as 8D is, it's still just a "GotY" edition of a game played years ago. I would love to have a truly new Mario Kart experience again.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice but MK8D is already near perfect and is selling gangbusters, plus most people buying it now probably didn't play it on wii u.
It will probably be in 4 years or so.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm certain Mario kart 9 will not happen. Instead one of two things will. 1. Diddy Kong racing happens. It's been rumored for years. If that doesn't happen then I believe 2. Mario kart will turn into "Nintendo kart" and include all major Nintendo franchises. I think 8's rerelease really does foreshadow this pretty hard.