• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Mario Kart 9 happen on Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 287 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.0%

• Total voters

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fairly obvious we will, their mobile strategy seems to be release a mobile game for a franchise they are going to be releasing a Switch game for. Since we have a mobile Mario Kart game due next year, a Switch game should follow.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Nope Mario kart will be kept as a launch title for the next Nintendo console

Crazy not to if MK8 is selling like crazy

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No. There's just not enough tech enhancement to justify Mario Kart 9 yet. And truth be told 8 is already a damn gorgeous game.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
We'll get a Double Dash sequel or a Mario Kart with a single player adventure mode so that the game can differentiate itself in ways that aren't related to visuals.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that the next console Mario kart will be coming to an enhanced switch(think new 3ds) that will come out around 2019/2020. It will be playable on current switch, but pushed for the new hardware.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Mario Kart 9 will happen for sure. The reason they released MK8Deluxe was just to pad out the Switch's first year with WiiU ports in order to avoid early console lifespan drought. I'm sure since the release of Mario Kart 8 a part of the team has been working on 9 which we'll see sometime this generation.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
"Mario Kart: Double Dash 2" please! It's been far too long since a proper coop karting experience?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
History say no. One Kart per machine. Personally I'd rather have Mario Kart 8 deluxe DLC. More tracks, characters and game modes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 will happen for sure. The reason they released MK8Deluxe was just to pad out the Switch's first year with WiiU ports in order to avoid early console lifespan drought. I'm sure since the release of Mario Kart 8 a part of the team has been working on 9 which we'll see sometime this generation.
The Mario Kart team developed ARMS as the new game which just hit last year.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a ways off, but it will happen. I'd say 2020 at the very earliest, but whenever MK8D sales start to dry up, they'll have a new one ready to go.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Mario Kart 8 development has finally wrapped up. There's literally no more room for any new tracks on the menu select. Besides from amiibo costumes being a little outdated it's perfect.

I feel like Mario Kart 9 would have to wait until 2020 or 2021.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It will definitely happen. A few predictions -

- The roster will be expanded significantly, and will resemble more of a "Smash Bros" roster in terms of character diversity - it won't be largely restricted to characters from the Mario franchise. We started seeing this with the MK8 DLC with Link, Inkling Kids, etc.
- Different vehicle types, similar to Diddy Kong Racing - land based (karts, motorcycles, etc), water based (hoverboat, jetskis, etc), air based (helicopters, planes, etc). Courses could either be dedicated towards a given transportation modality, or there could be transistions among each within the same course (ie, driving in a kart/motorcycle, and then going off a waterfall midway through the track to transition to a hoverboat/jetski).

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
What? The gap from GC and Wii U is massive, and the Switch in handheld mode is only slightly more powerful than the Wii U, as you can see MK8 performs about the same on handheld and Wii U. It's also 1080p 60fps docked so I don't see what they could do to make a big enough difference without compromising resolution or performance.

Edit: not sure what Splatoon 2 has to do with it, if anything a similar situation would be not getting a Slatoon 3 on Switch, which I also think is not gonna happen
What? The gap from GC and Wii U is massive, and the Switch in handheld mode is only slightly more powerful than the Wii U, as you can see MK8 performs about the same on handheld and Wii U. It's also 1080p 60fps docked so I don't see what they could do to make a big enough difference without compromising resolution or performance.

Edit: not sure what Splatoon 2 has to do with it, if anything a similar situation would be not getting a Slatoon 3 on Switch, which I also think is not gonna happen
I meant GC-->Wii, not Wii U.

You complained that there wouldn't be enough graphical improvements between mk8 deluxe and mk8 on the switch.. I said the gap between wii u and switch is wider than GC and Wii from a GPU perspective. Also I brought up Splatoon 2, because its a switch game and its a sequel to a wii u game, and graphics isn't the end it be all to justify if sequels should come or not. 2 literally came out two years after the first game, while the gap between mk8 on wii u and its future successor(hell even the port that's out now) is a lot wider in release. While deluxe does use more than 2x its processing power for 1080p, MK8 isn't even fully optimized on the console(isn't built from the ground up).r

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I often wonder about that myself, OP. Mario Kart 8 is such a complete (and amazing) experience I don't really know if we NEED a new game anytime soon. However, unless they hate money, they will probably launch a new one and it will do really well.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 would be due right about now if they hadn't ported 8 over. Since its selling so well, I'd say that we can expect 9 to release around Christmas 2019 or Spring of 2020, depending on what other heavy hitters they have set to release in that time period.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
No, not on Switch. Doesn't make sense given how MK8D is selling.
For most new Switch owners, MK8D is a brand new game.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
I can't see them using dev resources to make a new MK when they've already got one that selling like crazy and they're typically titles that sell through the whole span of a systems's life. I wouldn't count it out entirely but I can't see one coming any time soon. I can see them doing more 8 Deluxe DLC though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be more Mario Kart on Switch, but I'm not sure if it'll necessarily be in the form of a '9'; I wonder if Nintendo would consider making it a sort-of New Super Luigi U - a completely new set of tracks, but built onto the existing base.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
the producer already said that they have new ideas and unused ideas for the next mario kart. they will use mario kart mobile to reel in people for the next game.

mario kart 8 was originally rushed and later used to pad out the 2017 lineup for nintendo switch

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There will 100% be a new Mario Kart on Switch.

7.6 million is a drop in the bucket for a system with strong momentum.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I meant GC-->Wii, not Wii U.

You complained that there wouldn't be enough graphical improvements between mk8 deluxe and mk8 on the switch.. I said the gap between wii u and switch is wider than GC and Wii from a GPU perspective. Also I brought up Splatoon 2, because its a switch game and its a sequel to a wii u game, and graphics isn't the end it be all to justify if sequels should come or not. 2 literally came out two years after the first game, while the gap between mk8 on wii u and its future successor(hell even the port that's out now) is a lot wider in release. While deluxe does use more than 2x its processing power for 1080p, MK8 isn't even fully optimized on the console(isn't built from the ground up).r
So? Those are different platforms. It's a completely different matter. The point is there's nothing they could do with a new entry that they couldn't do with DLC. And it would split the userbase, and a bunch of other negative effects. Also you keep forgetting that the difference in power is very negligible in undocked mode

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I think seeing the MK8 team tackle F-Zero would be cool especially after Mute City and Big Blue in MK8 but that's just me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So? Those are different platforms. It's a completely different matter. The point is there's nothing they could do with a new entry that they couldn't do with DLC. And it would split the userbase, and a bunch of other negative effects. Also you keep forgetting that the difference in power is very negligible in undocked mode
I don't think splitting the userbase is a consideration Nintendo has with the Mario Kart series, to be perfectly honest. The userbase has always been split across the handheld and console versions, and the userbase for 8 is split across two platforms with no intercompatibility.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well someone from Nintendo said a few days ago that the company want Switch to be a long-cycle console (obviously with some revision in the middle), so I expect another Zelda and Mario Kart in the system.
The real question is if we will see another 3D Mario, like SMG2 on the Wii.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Mario Kart team has probably begun work on it, and Nintendo will probably lock it in a vault until Mario Kart 8 Deluxe drops off, and then suddenly release MK9 when there's a gap to fill for the Switch

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't DLC split the userbase in an even more readily apparent manner?

Let's not pretend that Mario Kart 9 wouldn't have a very robust userbase of millions of players from the very beginning.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this even a question? Of course Nintendo are going to put an original MK on Switch. MK8 served many purposes; it introduced the game to people without a Wii U, it put a big title on a new console in the first year and it serves as a holdover until MK Switch.

The way it has worked out, Nintendo can take their time with MK Switch because 8 (and a growing library of other top games) is already keeping gamers happy. By the time MK Switch releases there will be tens of millions of console owners out there ready for it and even more willing to grab a Switch because of MK.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean they plan on supporting Switch for up to 10 years. We are bound to get 9. I can see us getting another 3D Mario, 2 2D Mario's, a second Kirby, the next open air Zelda as well as a more traditional one. I think we can expect some of the strongest output Nintendo has ever had.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think splitting the userbase is a consideration Nintendo has with the Mario Kart series, to be perfectly honest. The userbase has always been split across the handheld and console versions, and the userbase for 8 is split across two platforms with no intercompatibility.
I mean sure, but we're talking about the same platform this time. There would be consumers looking at both MK8DX and MK9 on Switch and possibly still choose the former for a variety of reasons, it's not reasonable to me.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Mario Kart has never quite been in this position before, having a deluxe edition launch as "the" MK for a console. So, yes, I think there will be. I'm not sure what it will be, but I think it will be a shake-up entry.

I'm not going to lie, I'm hoping for co-op to return.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only real issue with another Mario Kart on the same system is that it will diminish sales of the previous game. It would be like if Nintendo released a second Smash Bros on the same system. People don't expect it, and may feel like "why is a new one necessary?" "Maybe I should just wait longer and instead of buying the game right away next time, just wait for the sequel." Nintendo absolutely doesn't want that stigma attached to their games.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell alongside the Switch for years as a primary staple.

I'm not saying they won't make a new Mario Kart, but it would need to differentiate itself from 8 Deluxe in some meaningful way.

As a Wii U owner and a Switch owner that has purchased Mario Kart 8 for both systems, I can say that I play Mario Kart 8 far more frequently on Switch than I ever did on Wii U. I'm not sure I would buy a new Mario Kart game for my Switch unless there was some major hook that made me say "Wow I have to have that game!"

From a business perspective, Nintendo may have more of an incentive to not release a second Switch Mario Kart than they have to release one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, but we're talking about the same platform this time. There would be consumers looking at both MK8DX and MK9 on Switch and possibly still choose the former for a variety of reasons, it's not reasonable to me.
That's one of the reasons I'm not so sure it will happen, yes, but at the same time, if the Switch is to last, say, 7 years, then are we saying the next Mario Kart game won't come out till 2024 at the earliest? 10 years between Mario Kart games?

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If not they will definately release some kind of 30 dollar expansion or something to 8 that adds a bunch of new racers/karts/tracks and maybe a new mode or two. Theres no way they are just leaving mario kart alone this entire gen.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I think both Mario Kart and Splatoon are in similar situations. They are best as once a generation games, but there is clearly both the time and demand to get another game out for Switch. And I think the approach should be the same for both too- expansion content the size of an original game coming out, not a true sequel. Sell the original game at a 'classics' discount, sell the expansion at like $40, and bundle them for a seperate retail release at regular $60 price. That way online player bases aren't split, and the games aren't competing with themselves, which I see as a real potential problem.

As for a ground-up racing game for Switch, I'd much rather they go the F-Zero/Diddy King Racing/Super Kart Bros. route and make something new. Because as good as Mario Kart is, it isn't that different from game to game. It would need a big change up to differentiate it from the content-stuffed game that's already out. And if you are already making big gameplay changes, why not go all out?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

If we can get a new FIFA, NFL, NBA, etc game every single year without worrying about split userbases, then I don't think a new Mario Kart within 3 years (as we've gotten since Double Dash) is too crazy. Especially considering how different each Mario Kart game is compared to each annualized sports game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
For real though I'd take more 8 DLC and wait a little longer for 9. Maybe get a full pack of good characters and not shit like Pink Gold Peach and the suit Mario and Peach? Gimme that Diddy Nintendo!

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
No doubt in my mind that they will. MK8D was a game which, whilst still being an absolutely amazing game for the system, allowed for a relatively low-risk testing of the waters in the Switch's launch honeymoon period.

Now that the console is selling Gangbusters, I honestly see a future without MK9 launching on Switch. Put me with the 2020 crowd.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Yes.

There has been a new Mario Kart for every Nintendo platform since what, the N64 (SNES, N64, GBA, GCN, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U)? I know there is MK8DX but I don't think that really counts. There will be an MK9 once MK8DX is a little older.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The point is there's nothing they could do with a new entry that they couldn't do with DLC.
I feel this way about MK8Deluxe too, it's like they had take all the good decisions in the franchise and created the ultimate MK experience, good luck trying to top the game.
The same with SSB4, huge roster and good gameplay.
Both games can be expanded and improved, but going from zero to create a new entry will be hard.

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
Let's look at this:

Mario Kart Double Dash (GC) launch year: 2003
Mario Kart DS (DS) launch year: 2005
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) launch year: 2008
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) launch year: 2011
Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) launch year: 2014
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) launch year: 2017

So, Mario Kart 9 launch year: 2020?

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I really and truly think they won't. MK8D will continue to sell millions for years to come. Like, even into 2024 if that's when we're assuming Switch life's end, if Nintendo is to be believed.

This continues to keep the MK team making other games, like Arms.

Their next system, however, will launch with Mk9 :)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't DLC split the userbase in an even more readily apparent manner?

Let's not pretend that Mario Kart 9 wouldn't have a very robust userbase of millions of players from the very beginning.
The difference is once you buy the DLC, you get all the content on the same game and can enjoy it with the full userbase. If you have to buy another game, you won't be able to make use of the old game's content in the switch (sorry for the pun) to the new userbase.
That's one of the reasons I'm not so sure it will happen, yes, but at the same time, if the Switch is to last, say, 7 years, then are we saying the next Mario Kart game won't come out till 2024 at the earliest? 10 years between Mario Kart games?
That could mean extended support with DLC effectively making MK a GAaS for the diration of the Switch's life, or it could mean they would still support the Switch for a while after the successor is released, much like with the 3DS, and the new game would land on the successor instead without waiting such a long time

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
MK8D was clearly a buy-some-time move to get MK on the Switch ASAP, salvage all the work they put on Wii U, and let the dev team make ARMS. The most damning thing for me is it's also the only major year one Switch game with no DLC. If they wanted it to be THE Mario Kart game that people keep coming back to, then that'd be an obvious thing to do, but it hasn't happened.

The series has always been on a three-year cycle and they can probably time MK9 around an upgraded Switch (since there's no way the system isn't iterative in some form). The time is right about now for them to start going into full dev with ARMS having wrapped up. I'd be shocked if the Switch really doesn't get its own Mario Kart. They'll probably do something really crazy to make it distinctively its own, all-new identity.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sure. Switch is going to last more than 6 years as Kimishima said, so at some point MK8DX will eventualy stop to sell and they'll need a new racing game.

Do not expect this to happen anytime soon though.

Last edited: