• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Mario Kart 9 happen on Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 287 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is once you buy the DLC, you get all the content on the same game and can enjoy it with the full userbase. If you have to buy another game, you won't be able to make use of the old game's content in the switch (sorry for the pun) with the new userbase.

That could mean extended support with DLC effectively making MK a GAaS for the diration of the Switch's life, or it could mean they would still support the Switch for a while after the successor is released, much like with the 3DS, and the new game would land on the successor instead without waiting such a long time
At the earliest, a Switch successor is 2022 (given a 5 year life span at minimum), in which case we'd still go eight years without a new one.
I don't know, that part seems a bit unlikely to me. Plus ongoing GaaS is something Nintendo has shown a total lack of interest in, their support for a game caps at 18 months after its launch. I don't necessarily see that changing by much, maybe it becomes two years.

But we're a year out from MK8D's release, and so far, no peep of any additional DLC.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I personally believe that no. I think Nintendo does not see it necessary and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to sell great.

And honestly, I prefer that the study is dedicated to doing something else for Switch as ARMS

I see more likely a spin off like Forza Horizon in any case

PD: Or DLC

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
At the earliest, a Switch successor is 2022 (given a 5 year life span at minimum), in which case we'd still go eight years without a new one.
I don't know, that part seems a bit unlikely to me. Plus ongoing GaaS is something Nintendo has shown a total lack of interest in, their support for a game caps at 18 months after its launch. I don't necessarily see that changing by much, maybe it becomes two years.

But we're a year out from MK8D's release, and so far, no peep of any additional DLC.
Heck even MK7 is still selling. I think they are waiting for DLC precisely because the sales are strong and it would be better to introduce them when it makes sense to push sales, especially if we're going to wait a long time for the next entry. There's no rush.
Or like, we had no idea Pokked DX was gonna get DLC until recently either, and that game doesn't have legs like MK

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading some of the responses here, I could definitely see them doing more DLC for MK8D later this year. The heavily delayed paid online service for Switch is going to need reasons for people to subscribe. Why not add to the title that's already out?

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. MK8D is so good, I'm not sure why people would buy MK9 over it. If they do release another one on switch it would need some major selling point.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Why is the picture in the OP a picture from Billy Hatcher's level in Sonic All-Stars Racing?

As for the OP's question: Yes.

1) MK8D isn't even a new version of the game. It's just a deluxe version of one that was made for another system.

2) Usually they have released one Mario Kart per console and handheld. Now that 3DS is pretty much done, I highly doubt they're making one for that handheld. As a result, Switch would probably get an extra one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heck even MK7 is still selling. I think they are waiting for DLC precisely because the sales are strong and it would be better to introduce them when it makes sense to push sales, especially if we're going to wait a long time for the next entry. There's no rush.
Or like, we had no idea Pokked DX was gonna get DLC until recently either, and that game doesn't have legs like MK
Maybe. We'll see how Nintendo chooses to proceed with this situation, but all said and done, I think the series is in a fascinating place right now (as is Smash).

Pokken DX has incredible legs, btw- it debuted extremely low, and has just kept on selling since.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017

I think MK not to mention Smash would be ripe for GaaS but don't see them turning MK8DX into that.

When MK8 on Wii U got DLC I sort of thought internally about them releasing say a Mario Kart 2015, 2016 etc. edition, basically collecting the prior DLC.

So far outside of a select few games Nintendo has been pretty content with announcing all paid DLC at once and releasing it on schedule (e.g. MK8, BotW). Arms and Splatoon (1 and 2) has been free DLC.

I don't think MK needs free DLC to sustain itself, so Nintendo would need a new game plan.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It would be insane to not have a new Mario Kart game on a successful Nintendo console.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mario kart 9 will happen eventually but not on switch.

If for nothing else, because it's one of the longest tail games Nintendo has, releasing it later in the gen is a massive missed opportunity in terms of sales.

Mk8 deluxe should get more dlc tracks though.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, and I hope they go the Smash route of having non Mario/Donkey Kong characters and tracks after dipping their toe in those waters with the MK8 DLC. I don't care if they keep the Mario Kart name due to brand recognition, give me Smash Kart.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Are you asking if Nintendo is done making new MK games?

These threads... I mean....

Very obviously not lmao.

In response to the thread, I don't think there will be another MK on Switch. Diddy Kong Racing maybe, some other kart racer maybe, but spending money and time on a Mario Kart when the Switch already has the best one ever with the most content seems like a massive waste of resources when they need to be diversifying their game library as much as possible. Use that team and that time to make something different.

Of course. It would be insane to not have a new Mario Kart game on a successful Nintendo console.

Not when MK8DX sells like a new one, and is to most people.

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
Good question, OP. This should be the first time Nintendo would release 2 Mario Karts in the same system. Miyamoto once said that his interest in doing another Mario Kart would be to promote another gimmick. So based on this comment I guess not.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I think if they're planning on supporting this system until at least 2024, then another one will arrive at some point in the Switch's lifetime.
That's exactly the first thought I had. They've made repeated statements that they think the Switch will be around for an extended generation. If so, there's no reason not to expect another Mario Kart in 4-5 years.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 will come out for Switch 2. However I think Switch 1 will be forward compatible with some games which means it will be playable on Switch 1.

Exactly

Switch 2 will be like a second generation switch like the iPhone and iPads are. So forward and backward compatibility will be key for MK9

At least I hope lol

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think yes, but down the line in like 2-3 years maybe. It'll have to reinvent the series a bit too despite fans wanting it to remain similar to MK8

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I read the thread title as "Mighty Number 9 Switch Will it Happen or Not?", lol.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
In any case I can see something like Nintendo Kart or a drastic change like doing it openworld

A Mario Kart 9 that is like 8 doesn't make any sense. People who want a normal Mario Kart is going to buy the 8, it will not matter if it is on Wii U

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually shocked Nintendo hasn't already provided DLC (more tracks, etc) for Mario Kart. Seems like such easy, money generated, low hanging fruit that a huge percentage of MK8 owners would lap up. I know I would.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I think not.
The only scenario I see is if it was released at the end of Switch'' life as a cross gen with Switch 2/plus/pro.
I don't believe it will happen.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Mario Kart 9 on Switch was very likely before, but Kimishima's comments about wanting to support Switch over the long term makes it seem like near certainty. If Nintendo does end up supporting Switch for longer than five or six years, then that would presumably mean they could make Mario Kart 9 for Switch as a 2020 game and still have time to make Mario Kart 10 for the launch window of a hypothetical next platform.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no point in making another Switch MK when they can support the current one with DLC. Mario Kart is the evergreenest of franchises, it doesn't need a sequel on the same console to continue selling.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
I think it's a matter of time. The Switch just got on board with a promising 5+ years of lifespan and leaving the door open for 3ds to leave around 2019, I think it's fair to say MK9 will come eventually to the Switch.

If everything goes well they will knock the house out the window, because MK8 just left me breathless, I just can't imagine a better MK experience after MK8

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
23znrl.jpg

HAHAHAHAH Fucking resetera man, oh jesus, here I am laughting like a mother fucker at work.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
First i was like:" No, they dont have to...why should they...MK8D sells like hotcakes...no need to do that!".
But after Mr. Kimishima said, they want to extend the lifetime of the switch, i am more like:" Yes, there will be a MK9 in the lifetime of the family of switch systems!"
If the switch will be there for 7 Years... i can totally see a MK9 coming!

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say that as a wii u owner, I will be absolutely miffed if Nintendo only releases Mario Kart 8, a game I already played tons of and supported years ago by buying all the DLC, as the only Mario Kart game on switch. This mainly comes from a feeling of it not being my fault as a consumer that their console bombed and now they have to port over a bunch of older games to recoup the costs. So I don't want them to feel it's ok to simply repackage Wii U games and have that be the only iteration of that IP during the Switch's lifespan. But, it's totally cool with me if we still get an actual Mario Kart 9, or an actual Smash Bros. 5 eventually on switch, you know? I do want people to play those older Wii U games. I just also want an eventual guarantee that we'll get more than that at some point.

With that being said, I find it totally unlikely that Nintendo would ONLY release Mario Kart 8 on the switch. Mario Kart makes so much money for them. Might as well release another. I think 2019 or 2020 will see a new mario kart, although I'd honestly be down for one even sooner.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
it should but I wouldn't be opposed to adding new tracks to 8 deluxe. That game and everything about it is great. I'd love to see them just add additional dlc.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 9 will definitely happen on Switch but unless they plan to do something crazy to how the game plays like Double Dash I personally would just prefer to have Nintendo treat Mario Kart 8 as the Switch's Mario Kart platform. Whenever Nintendo does put out Mario Kart 9 I'm sure they'll add to and change the game enough to differentiate it from Mario Kart 8 but mechanical changes like "this is how drifting works now" or "this is how blue shells work now" aren't particularly exciting changes to me. Obviously they could add new items which would shake things up but even that's a somewhat unexciting prospect to me as the core thing that makes new Mario Karts exciting to me is new courses so a constant drip feed of DLC for new courses in Mario Kart 8 would more than satiate my need for a new Mario Kart. Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly buy and love Mario Kart 9 whenever it comes out but Nintendo could just continually add new cups, characters and karts to Mario Kart 8 via DLC and updates and I would be good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't think there will be, MK8D will sell for the entire life of the console. They could just make DLC for it also. Just look at MKDS, Wii, and 7. In terms of 7, it's still selling well to this day.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'd be shocked if they release a new Mario Kart before 2020.

Really no reason to given the evergreen success of MK8.

And it'll probably end up on the tail end of the Switch's lifespan.

Nov 8, 2017
I hope so, because I'm probably not buying a Switch unless it gets a new Mario Kart game. I already own Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, so Deluxe is not a new game to me.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
There is a probability of it not being called "9" which can be of bad augure in japanese. They might prefer to call it a subtitle instead.
(And "nine" in english does not sound as good as "seven" did)
But I don't think they'll skip directly to 10. /joke

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I think yes, based on the up-to-now unbroken pattern of Nintendo's mobile franchise games releasing a year before that franchise's Switch release:
  • In 2016 Super Mario Run was released, not only to make direct sales but also do marketing work for Odyssey (released 2017)
  • In 2017 Fire Emblem Mobile was released which will undoubtedly influence sales of 2018's Fire Emblem Switch (due 2018)
  • In 2017 Animal Crossing Mobile was released which will also do marketing work for 2018's all-but-confirmed Animal Crossing Switch (due 2018)
  • In 2018 / 2019 Mario Kart Mobile will be released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think yes, based on the up-to-now unbroken pattern of Nintendo's mobile franchise games releasing a year before that franchise's Switch release:
  • In 2016 Super Mario Run was released, not only to make direct sales but also do marketing work for Odyssey (released 2017)
  • In 2017 Fire Emblem Mobile was released which will undoubtedly influence sales of 2018's Fire Emblem Switch (due 2018)
  • In 2017 Animal Crossing Mobile was released which will also do marketing work for 2018's all-but-confirmed Animal Crossing Switch (due 2018)
  • In 2018 / 2019 Mario Kart Mobile will be released.
Two of the three games you cite as precedence are not yet released lol. One isn't even announced.

I mean, I agree with the reasoning, but still.